RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capitalism is the cause of world hunger.
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
Capitalism is the cause of world hunger.

Quote:It’s because more resources are required to raise animals than crops that human consume. It’s not very major, and even if the world did go vegan, Capitalism prevents the distribution of said food.

I loled.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-24-2012 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
RE: Capitalism is the cause of world hunger.

HAHAHAH, if vegan is what everyone wanted capitalism would provide.
05-24-2012 01:55 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Hahaha I thought this was a shotgunheart thread.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-24-2012 02:20 PM
kelby393 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

You cant blame capitalism, because we never had capitalism in the first place, as Ron Paul said.
05-24-2012 11:52 PM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

[quote='UnschoolShqiponjë' pid='466195' dateline='1337831419']
Quote:It’s because more resources are required to raise animals than crops that human consume. It’s not very major, and even if the world did go vegan, Capitalism prevents the distribution of said food.

Capitalism is about the free distribution of goods, not the absolute control of it. So if you want to go vegan, capitalism will provide.

The best bloody cover song I have ever heard in my entire life, period: http://www.youtube.com/user/sbeast64#p/c...yCFuP3rM2w
05-25-2012 06:31 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Inb4 shotgun
05-25-2012 07:16 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Green Revolution, answers the whole vegan capitalism thing. This quote does not make sense at all.

Capitalism is causing world hunger, but even before capitalism there was always the starving peasant population. So i'd say civilized societies have the hunger problem due to the distribution and dependence on agriculture, and the consistent extraction of resources.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
05-25-2012 09:07 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(05-25-2012 07:16 AM)Aya Wrote:  Inb4 shotgun

Dammit...

Previously known as Derchin.
05-25-2012 09:07 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(05-25-2012 09:07 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 07:16 AM)Aya Wrote:  Inb4 shotgun

Dammit...

Bitches be hatn' on my mad timing skills

Btw anyone who seriously thinks capitalism is the cause for world starvation should go onto google and look up what Stalin did to the Ukraine. I believe the exact term is holodomor

To use a literary analogy, what he did was so horrible it was about two steps away from going Hunger Games.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 10:07 AM by Aya.)
05-25-2012 10:06 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Okay, I am going to explain why capitalism is not the cause of more hunger. For the sake of argument, I am going to equate capitalism with free market. A freer market will equal more capitalism.

In 1776, Adam Smith wrote the Wealth of Nations. Smith saw how what he called the "commercial society" (a.k.a. capitalism) provided the relatively more abundant wealth to Great Britain while other nations were poor. He believed that:

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity, but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities, but of their advantages. "

In other words, capitalism provides the incentive for people to produce for others when the incentive of being selfless is not enough. But does this hold out in the numbers? Let me direct you to this graph:

[Image: economic.freedom.gdp.2006.gif]

As we can see, there is a correlation between economic freedom (the x-axis) and per capita GDP (the y-axis). Surely, the correlation is not perfect, but it is there and it is significant. Then, we ask ourselves: "Well, what if prosperity leads to capitalism and not the other way around?" That could very well be true, based on this graph alone, but is it?

No. Freedom makes people more prosperous, prosperity doesn't make people more free. Let's compare two places and see what I mean: India and Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has a freedom rating of 9.01 out of ten according to the Economic Freedom of the World 2011 report (http://www.freetheworld.com). In contrast, India has a rating of 6.4/10. Hong Kong has a per capita GDP(PPP) of $49,137 according to Wikipedia. India, however, has a per capita GDP(PPP) of $3,693. Why? India has natural resources, Hong Kong has basically none. Just a really good harbor. Both of them have a very high population density. It happens that India has a lower economic freedom than Hong Kong.

Let's take a look at North and South Korea. Nobody can say that a difference in the culture is the drive, because both nations speak the same language and share a common Korean culture. No, the difference is that North Korea is governed by a repressive dictatorship while the South is capitalist and prosperous. Take a look at this:

[Image: 6a0105371bb32c970b0120a54cc3de970c-750wi]

North Korea is an island of dark surrounded by more economically free nations, including South Korea. It's, quite literally, crazy to think about it. Of course, capitalism isn't the only thing South Korea has that the North doesn't (such as a half-way sane government), but it is one of the most significant things.

So, prosperity is increased by the presence of capitalism, and poverty is exacerbated by the absence of it. Now, poverty and hunger exist in capitalist nations, but the people in these nations are, on the whole, much better off than their poor counterparts in the least economically free countries.

World hunger exists in spite of capitalism, not because of it.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-25-2012 01:24 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Tl;dr
05-25-2012 01:24 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(05-25-2012 01:24 PM)Aya Wrote:  Tl;dr

05-25-2012 01:26 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

(05-25-2012 01:26 PM)Wes Wrote:  
It means "Too long; didn't read"
05-25-2012 02:17 PM
Fanatic

(05-25-2012 01:26 PM)Wes Wrote:  

I read it don't worry. I love your awesomeness.

Live until you die
05-25-2012 03:24 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Interesting read.
My history teacher's perspective is that deregulation of companies can make them monopolize and abuse shit. Would you agree with this at all? During the industrial revolution and such, life quality was actually pretty shitty, from what I've read, and "corporations had all the power" and freedom... yet everyone was migrating to the United States, and a lot of people were starving to death in other, more monarchy-ish places... do you have any rebuttals against this? Were all the huge companies like Carnegie Steel, etcetera, using a "free market"? Would deregulation allow bussinessmen to manipulate the masses to benefit themselves and later rape them in the ass, or is that a huge load of brainwashing commie bullshit, just like this site?
Also, what's with companies using workers in sweatshops in third world countries under conditions that we'd consider pretty fucking bad, practically working all day long? Would this happen in a free market... is it even caused by a free market?

I'm seriously interested about your view towards this. I don't have an opinion yet, and I guess having one would be nice.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 03:56 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
05-25-2012 03:53 PM
Fanatic

I am pretty sure it was government regulation making it difficult for new companies to come into the market during that time. Wes knows much more than I do about it lol he has explained it or given a link to an article that explained it before.

Let's not forget that having a monopoly does not necessarily have to be bad. If the company provides goods and services at fair prices and treats their employees well and pays them well... then there is no problem.

Any slip up would allow another business to provide competition.

Live until you die
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 04:10 PM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
05-25-2012 04:09 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I don't think monopolies are a good thing. I'm against them, but with more freedom in the marketplace comes a lower chance that a monopoly will form.

Now, in the Gilded Age, there was more than enough government involvement in business. Here's what Grover Cleveland said during that time: "[T]he Government, under pretext of an exercise of its taxing power, enters gratuitously into partnership with these favorites, to their advantage and to the injury of a vast majority of our people."

There's more of what he said here.

It's common knowledge that tariffs were high during the 19th Century in America. Take a look at this graph:

[Image: tariff_history.png]
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11...f-history/

During most of the late 1800s, U.S. tariffs were exceptionally high, while today they aren't nearly as high.

Now, why are tariffs so bad? Well, if someone can do the work more cheaply and better than I can, shouldn't I want them to do it so I can pay a cheaper price? In fact, I think I'll let this video do the arguing for me, since there aren't any tariffs on videos:

Watch on YouTube

05-26-2012 12:54 AM
Griff_Da_Man Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Greed is the cause, it plagues every economic system.

Crazy how much food and water is wasted on a daily basis...

Proud user of human brain.
05-26-2012 05:48 PM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Capitalism is an auto-antonym. Some people use capitalism to mean the market system that exists in most places today, i.e. a mixed market economy. Other people use the word to mean an ideal free market based on strict property rights.

My question is, what does the word capitalism mean in the phrase "Capitalism is the cause of world hunger"?
05-27-2012 04:38 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(05-27-2012 04:38 PM)Kirby Wrote:  Capitalism is an auto-antonym. Some people use capitalism to mean the market system that exists in most places today, i.e. a mixed market economy. Other people use the word to mean an ideal free market based on strict property rights.

My question is, what does the word capitalism mean in the phrase "Capitalism is the cause of world hunger"?

Kirby man you've took time away from chopping down trees to visit.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-27-2012 05:42 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

(05-24-2012 11:52 PM)kelby393 Wrote:  You cant blame capitalism, because we never had capitalism in the first place, as Ron Paul said.

Explain how the U.S. isn't capitalist, please.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
05-30-2012 05:05 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

The social, and ecological cost of human and nohuman lives is the real reason capitalism fails. It's based off of hierarchy and imperialism.

Expropriation, colonization, rape of the land, imperialism and this distorted view of the world as if a mountain is a resource, and not a mountain. That a person is a resource and not a person.

It's pointless to try to see the perspective of capitalism by economist, because all they are counting is GDP and stocks. They don't really the count the massive holocausts, mass deaths, mass slavery it's based off of.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 06:46 AM by SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT.)
05-30-2012 06:44 AM
Fanatic

(05-30-2012 05:05 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 11:52 PM)kelby393 Wrote:  You cant blame capitalism, because we never had capitalism in the first place, as Ron Paul said.

Explain how the U.S. isn't capitalist, please.

The government fiddles with the market, making it not a capitalist country. Corporations lobby for laws to benefit them and are sometimes successful, making it not a capitalist country. At best it is crony capitalism.

Live until you die
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 08:18 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
05-30-2012 08:18 AM
Fanatic

Quote:They don't really the count the massive holocausts, mass deaths, mass slavery it's based off of.

I would not be upset in the slightest if you killed yourself....... again. AKA rage quit.

Live until you die
05-30-2012 08:20 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

No one has answered my question yet. The word capitalism is probably the most useless word in the English language at the moment. Chances are everybody in this thread is using it to mean something different. Depending on who I talk to it is equally accurate to say that I am pro-capitalist or anti-capitalist.

If you define capitalism as the market system that exists today, then capitalism is a cause of world hunger, but not the only one. Government intervention has been causing horrible problems in agriculture. A good example is the land reforms of Zimbabwe. When Robert Mugabe took over land was taken from the white owners and redistributed to those who justly owned it, or so it was said. In reality there was no real process of justice going on; the land was taken from white landowners without trial and given to blacks who were either corrupt politicians or didn't have any claim to the land. Zimbabwe had huge agricultural exports before the reforms but now almost half the population is malnourished due to the replacement farmers.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
05-30-2012 01:57 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(05-30-2012 06:44 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  The social, and ecological cost of human and nohuman lives is the real reason capitalism fails. It's based off of hierarchy and imperialism.

Expropriation, colonization, rape of the land, imperialism and this distorted view of the world as if a mountain is a resource, and not a mountain. That a person is a resource and not a person.

It's pointless to try to see the perspective of capitalism by economist, because all they are counting is GDP and stocks. They don't really the count the massive holocausts, mass deaths, mass slavery it's based off of.

What is the defining feature of capitalism to you? Really, what do you think makes capitalism... well... capitalism? Maybe Kirby's right, maybe we have a hard time communicating because of ambiguous word usage.

05-30-2012 02:14 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

^ That and the pulling of "facts" out of one's ass.
There's no proof whatsoever for the claim that "capitalism prevents the distribution of food".
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 02:25 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
05-30-2012 02:24 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(05-30-2012 02:24 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  ^ That and the pulling of "facts" out of one's ass.
There's no proof whatsoever for the claim that "capitalism prevents the distribution of food".

If the general consensus of economists is to be believed, capitalism actually facilitates the distribution of food.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 02:27 PM by thewake.)
05-30-2012 02:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  why capitalism is horrible HighSchoolFailure1337 46 21,164 06-12-2017 06:46 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Capitalism is the cause of prosperity thewake 9 6,459 01-06-2013 03:46 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  The Philosophy of 'The Hunger Games' (summary) by Stefan Molyneux iexist 7 7,445 04-12-2012 02:19 AM
Last Post: Stadium
  what is mutualism: alternative to social anarchism and capitalism iexist 0 1,771 03-01-2012 12:36 PM
Last Post: iexist
  Against INdustrial Capitalism/ Civilization (DEBATE) SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT 78 33,317 02-14-2012 02:44 PM
Last Post: Aya
  Corporatism Is Not Capitalism HeartofShadows 2 2,472 10-22-2011 02:45 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Capitalism: The Debate thewake 257 59,132 08-08-2011 11:59 PM
Last Post: thewake
  Capitalism is killing our planet. Swift 27 6,380 07-04-2010 09:05 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Capitalism Fuels Fascism ~Mystery~ 125 17,632 06-03-2010 12:47 AM
Last Post: Denied
  Socialism/Capitalism (In a nutshell) Sociopath 22 13,834 03-13-2010 02:54 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd