RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I found something on the floor at school today
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
I found something on the floor at school today

It's something someone wrote for her history class. For the most part, it criticizes the school system.

Quote:[name omitted]
5/27/09
World Civilizations, 1 CP

Big Question #6: What is the greatest obstacle to learning?

Going to school to learn is obstructed by many factors. Firstly, the targeted area of learning is students under age 20. During the first couple of decades in your life, you are still meandering around, trying to find out which pastimes you enjoy and may want to pursue in the future. You may try music, art, dancing, sports, and a whole host of other activities. However, when school takes up so much of your time, it is often difficult to pursue other areas of your life which hold more interest for you. Because young students want to spend more time practicing their hobbies (which they choose for themselves out of desire) they often neglect their schoolwork (which is forced upon them without any interest being necessary). The time restraints that we all find in a 24-hour day mean we must force together our interests and schoolwork, and schoolwork is very often the first forgotten task.

Second, the school system requires us to be in school for more than 7 hours every day. Young children have notoriously short attention spans, and do not do well sitting in a classroom for so much time every day. Recess simply cannot release these energies fully, making children antsy in classes. When their minds wander, they do not learn, creating an obstacle to learning.

And lastly we find yet another problem with our long school day. Even if a student has interest in a subject which they study in school, the forced work that the student must do with the subject when they are in classes every day can bore them to a point where they lose interest in the topic. The pressure put on them by our standard schooling system may make them forget why they loved the subject, so they end up hating it instead. Students who have lost interest in a subject because of pressure are unlikely to pay attention or try hard during class, creating a barrier to learning.
What do you guys think?
05-29-2009 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
Re: I found something on the floor at school today

Every student at school hates the school system. Its the 'fear' of death that holds them back from openly challenging it.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
05-29-2009 07:51 AM
 Thanks given by: -SCS-
S. Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Well written and short piece, but states it well, post it anonymously in a place where many can read in your school, touch it up, get the word out, if a student @ your school wrote it, it will hit harder to your school, just leave out the name of the actual author, but make sure they know it was from in the system.

Evolving.Legend@gmail.com < My MSN, Contact me if you wish to discuss, debate or just talk, open to anyone, friend foe, and spambot.
05-29-2009 09:51 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I wrote something like this for my english teacher, boy was she pissed Biggrin

Anyway, interesting read, most kids wouldn't have the balls to write something like this and give to a teacher (I assume it was handed in?)

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-29-2009 09:53 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

The way it criticize the schooling system has been shown throughout decades by observation made by the rebels and teachers who used to be an rebel along with researcher proving that school doesn't work for nearly everybody. Whoever made that should be considered an intelligent rebel that actually knows that the system doesn't work and it could affect the short-term learning in the area of the brain where you attempt to learn while the memory works within the short-term area slowly disappearing as ages flyby making the student inefficient at learning in an certain method which was the goal of the public schooling system as shown by some dude in the past wanting the nation to have working person who don't care for creativity at all and the best way to kill creativity is providing unnecessary boredom by enforcing people to waste the time long enough not to pursue their own creativity needs and free time thus damaging your desire to be interested in the certain subject which will results in people diagnosing you with an learning disability while your brain is changing as you grow older adapting to different method and changing into different method of learning along with the fact that your body changes from child to being an teenager slowly into the habit of working at night and since teenagers are proven to be working better at night and school will put them to work at day, this can cause sleep disturbance, emotional deprivation, hormonal damages and intellectual damages to the front part to the brain all the way to side of the head which deals with writing and creativity. In few cases, this can cause blindness due to the lack of sleep which has been observed in some teenagers that can't deal with the school schedule and it is most likely they won't adapt to 3 hours of sleep which will make them feel abnormal.

ZZZ...
05-29-2009 10:33 AM
Kitteneater Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Amortisatie Wrote:most kids wouldn't have the balls to write something like this and give to a teacher.
Hah!! I totally wrote something like that and gave it to a teacher!! And I got an A!!! I used this one guy's article as a base for my writing-

Schooling has been a mandatory learning tool implemented in America for about a century. Though curriculum and standards have changed, the basis of the system itself - age- has not. Leon Botstein strongly feels that this contradiction leads to the overall oppression of American students, who are “ready to be taken seriously and to develop motivations and interests that will serve them well in adult life”, by the age of 16. He indicates that the isolation of school inhibits a child’s ability to succeed in his or her pursuits. Botstein further proposes that the school system is “flawed”, and is in dire need of reformation. Could the educational system be outdated? While some believe this notion is radical, others see the truth and pragmatism in it.

Botstein clearly contradicts himself in his theory. Despite lowering the age of graduation, the student would still be subjected to the suppression of the school system’s age segregation and learning process. The author never proposes an alternative to the current way students are taught, but rather, has only suggested an earlier age at which to “become an adult.” Though Botstein uses biological maturity to back up his theory of earlier responsibility, he does not put into account the cognitive maturity it takes to become a fully fledged adult.

However, in order to mature intellectually, children need more time to become attune to their own natural abilities, without the hustle and bustle of school life. Botstein points out, “By the time those who graduate from high school go on to college and realize what really is at stake in becoming an adult, too many opportunities have been lost and too much time has been wasted.” Because there is no time to “figure out” what one’s true aspirations are, money and energy is thrown away paying for a college education concerning a subject the student may or may not be fully interested in. If more time was given to teenagers to think of their own accord, without the pressures of meaningless classes, they would be more aware of their aptitudes and skills. Without the stereotypes of “stupid” high school students, teenagers would be less inclined to act immaturely. Students would no longer be subjected to an environment in which groupings based on age and clique were prominent; teenagers would become more accepting to those of different ages and backgrounds, without bias.

http://english.basd.k12.wi.us/mocarski/ ... tstein.pdf <--Botsteins' original essay
05-29-2009 11:11 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:The way it criticize the schooling system has been shown throughout decades by observation made by the rebels and teachers who used to be an rebel along with researcher proving that school doesn't work for nearly everybody
Whoever made that should be considered an intelligent rebel that actually knows that the system doesn't work and it could affect the short-term learning in the area of the brain, where you attempt to learn while the memory works within the short-term area slowly disappearing as ages flyby making the student inefficient at learning in an certain method which was the goal of the public schooling system as shown by some dude in the past wanting the nation to have working person who don't care for creativity at all and the best way to kill creativity is providing unnecessary boredom by enforcing people to waste the time long enough not to pursue their own creativity needs and free time thus damaging your desire to be interested in the certain subject which will results in people diagnosing you with an learning disability while your brain is changing as you grow older adapting to different method and changing into different method of learning along with the fact that your body changes from child to being an teenager slowly into the habit of working at night and since teenagers are proven to be working better at night and school will put them to work at day, this can cause sleep disturbance, emotional deprivation, hormonal damages and intellectual damages to the front part to the brain all the way to side of the head which deals with writing and creativity. In few cases, this can cause blindness due to the lack of sleep which has been observed in some teenagers that can't deal with the school schedule and it is most likely they won't adapt to 3 hours of sleep which will make them feel abnormal.

Id read this but it is just a giant wall of text Wink

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-29-2009 11:40 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

That is the purpose of having giant text of wall, it for practice (I know I ain't good at english and that why I post it long to practice for other purposes)and to learn with getting other to get an idea from bobman and my post along with researches which probably ain't gonna be happening. What bobman post seems an slight convincive, but I think there should be an lot more information although what he said is proven to be right, people aren't likely to be convinced with lack of background researches involved within it. By background researches, I mean scientific researches.

ZZZ...
05-29-2009 10:28 PM
grubby Offline
Rebel

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:That is the purpose of having giant text of wall, it for practice (I know I ain't good at english and that why I post it long to practice for other purposes)and to learn with getting other to get an idea from bobman and my post along with researches which probably ain't gonna be happening. What bobman post seems an slight convincive, but I think there should be an lot more information although what he said is proven to be right, people aren't likely to be convinced with information and background researches involved within it. By background researches, I mean scientific researches.

By "giant wall of text," he doesn't mean length, he means that you haven't organized it into paragraphs.
05-29-2009 11:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

It is 4-6 sentences you're seeing there from my own memory, I was only thinking too much for one paragraph and this is my instant thoughts when reading bobman's post ( I do this an whole lot of time). I ain't so sure if it 4-6 sentence you're seeing there and I don't think this computer is helping me spot the periods and the quotes seem to not show the periods where I have placed it on my original post in this computer based from my own observation. Anyways, I'm just here to take an look at people's thoughts of what have other have made. It organizating to 5 paragraphs time when background researches is made at home.

Hope the topic will be back soon.

ZZZ...
05-29-2009 11:26 PM
S. Offline
Renegade

ohh, too lazy to read this whole thread.

Evolving.Legend@gmail.com < My MSN, Contact me if you wish to discuss, debate or just talk, open to anyone, friend foe, and spambot.
05-30-2009 07:44 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:The way it criticize the schooling system has been shown throughout decades by observation made by the rebels and teachers who used to be an rebel along with researcher proving that school doesn't work for nearly everybody. Whoever made that should be considered an intelligent rebel that actually knows that the system doesn't work and it could affect the short-term learning in the area of the brain where you attempt to learn while the memory works within the short-term area slowly disappearing as ages flyby making the student inefficient at learning in an certain method which was the goal of the public schooling system as shown by some dude in the past wanting the nation to have working person who don't care for creativity at all and the best way to kill creativity is providing unnecessary boredom by enforcing people to waste the time long enough not to pursue their own creativity needs and free time thus damaging your desire to be interested in the certain subject which will results in people diagnosing you with an learning disability while your brain is changing as you grow older adapting to different method and changing into different method of learning along with the fact that your body changes from child to being an teenager slowly into the habit of working at night and since teenagers are proven to be working better at night and school will put them to work at day, this can cause sleep disturbance, emotional deprivation, hormonal damages and intellectual damages to the front part to the brain all the way to side of the head which deals with writing and creativity. In few cases, this can cause blindness due to the lack of sleep which has been observed in some teenagers that can't deal with the school schedule and it is most likely they won't adapt to 3 hours of sleep which will make them feel abnormal.

Full stop. Ever heard of it?

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
06-02-2009 07:49 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Yes. Better?

The way it criticize the schooling system has been shown throughout decades by observation made by the rebels and teachers who used to be an rebel along with scientific researchers proving that school doesn't work for nearly everybody. Whoever made that should be considered an intelligent rebel that actually knows that the system doesn't work.The schedule, unnecessary work, noise disturbance, and etc could affect the short-term learning in the area of the brain where you attempt to learn while the memory works within the short-term area slowly disappearing as ages flyby making the student inefficient at learning in an certain method which was the goal of the public schooling system as shown by some dude in the past wanting the nation to have working person who don't care for creativity at all. The best way to kill creativity is providing unnecessary boredom by enforcing people to waste the time long enough not to pursue their own creativity needs and free time thus damaging your desire to be interested in the certain subject which will results in people diagnosing you with an learning disability while your brain is changing as you grow older adapting to different method and changing into different method of learning along with the fact that your body changes from child to being an teenager slowly into the habit of working at night and since teenagers are proven to be working better at night and school will put them to work at day, this can cause sleep disturbance, emotional deprivation, hormonal damages and intellectual damages to the front part to the brain all the way to side of the head which deals with writing and creativity. In few cases, this can cause blindness due to the lack of sleep which has been observed in some teenagers that can't deal with the school schedule and it is most likely they won't adapt to 3 hours of sleep which will make them feel abnormal.

ZZZ...
06-02-2009 10:14 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Whoever wrote that is awesome.

[Image: glorious666.png]
06-23-2009 01:18 PM
Bri Offline
Rebel

You found it on the floor? I hope they were able to show it to their teacher before they dropped it. Did it have a grade or any comments?

Complete offers and surveys for money, for those 13+. Free to join. If you sign up, check the message center - there should be a message from me.

Swagbucks - free to sign up, 13+. Earn points by using their search engine, etc. and exchange points for prizes(like giftcards.)
06-24-2009 04:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The horrors I underwent at school today. Depression101 43 16,942 05-21-2017 10:43 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Girl got hit by a car outside the school today యూజర్ పేరు 18 8,803 04-18-2017 07:40 AM
Sad Got into a big trouble at school today 8bitmusicislife 16 7,489 04-18-2017 07:20 AM
  I found an awesome site against school! Sociopath 12 5,561 02-06-2017 07:34 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Shit on the floor Sharpie 13 11,149 01-10-2017 09:16 AM
Last Post: ScarletTheDragon
  You wont belive what happened at my school today. Piperlu 1 2,662 04-27-2016 11:56 AM
Last Post: schoolsux
  Students who found an alternative, explaining school vs. North Star xcriteria 0 1,829 02-07-2015 02:59 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  No school today? Think again. brainiac3397 16 7,834 02-28-2014 03:27 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  A girl was raped at my school today. (Updated) Sadistic Mirror 96 31,523 01-20-2013 09:02 AM
Last Post: AtheistLGBTQAnarchist
  Kid wiped the American flag on the floor today in class. Avi-Bird 27 18,702 04-23-2012 12:30 PM
Last Post: UltraRobot