RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The No Self-Defense Policy" is BULL.
FUCKSchoolKCUF Offline
Not a confused teenager

Given 15 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

*Excuse my anger*

I have been waiting to rage out about this ever since I've first seen the policy. At my school, there's a policy that says that you CANNOT defend yourself under ANY circumstances...

Huh

Okay, first of all, who the fuck thought it was okay for students to NOT be able to defend themselves? If some snotty, A-hole "bully" came up to me and socked me in the face, I should have the RIGHT to hit him back out of self defense! But no! There is no "victim". We'd both get the SAME punishment. What am I supposed to do? Stand there and get my ass kicked? NO. My instincts would kick in and beat the crap out of the person. EVEN A SIMPLE PUSH is called "fighting" and at my school, you get a fucking POLICE CITATION! 400 USD to be exact.

Brickwall
01-23-2015 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: eerie138 , Missile , Dikont5
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: "The No Self-Defense Policy" is BULL.

Kids who fight at school just want it to get broken up.

If you really wanted to hurt someone you would go take care of it on the streets where there's a chance you could be hurt as well.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
01-23-2015 03:35 PM
 Thanks given by: FUCKSchoolKCUF
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

You fight back, you get punished. You dont fight back, you get punished.

Thus logic dictates the best self defense is no self defense. Unfortunately despite how incredibly stupid said logic really is, few schools seem to be capable of reaching the minimum level of critical thinking (or any thinking) to make it to this conclusion. In fact they made it so far in life is a surprise worthy of a Reality TV show on MTV.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-23-2015 03:59 PM
 Thanks given by: FUCKSchoolKCUF , KFC Nyan Cat
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

Given 47 thank(s) in 20 post(s)

(01-23-2015 02:50 PM)FUCKSchoolKCUF Wrote:  *Excuse my anger*

I have been waiting to rage out about this ever since I've first seen the policy. At my school, there's a policy that says that you CANNOT defend yourself under ANY circumstances...

Huh

Okay, first of all, who the fuck thought it was okay for students to NOT be able to defend themselves? If some snotty, A-hole "bully" came up to me and socked me in the face, I should have the RIGHT to hit him back out of self defense! But no! There is no "victim". We'd both get the SAME punishment. What am I supposed to do? Stand there and get my ass kicked? NO. My instincts would kick in and beat the crap out of the person. EVEN A SIMPLE PUSH is called "fighting" and at my school, you get a fucking POLICE CITATION! 400 USD to be exact.

Brickwall

you have every right to be pissed. I was kicked out of school for fighting back when I had THREE other kids jump me in one of the classrooms at dismissal. They didn't get in any kind of trouble because they were in the 'popular' crowd (2 were football players and the other was the vice-principal's kid), but I was expelled straightaway. My parents didn't even defend me.

My stupid question of the the day is why do kids want to fight in the first place?
01-23-2015 10:12 PM
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

At my school, there's a policy that says that you CANNOT defend yourself under ANY circumstances...

This is an example of how the morons who run education think they can exercise control. They think if you have a policy or a rule, you have solved a problem. However, the problem they think they have solved is theirs not yours.

They are not concerned with your welfare or that of any other student. They are concerned with keeping order. They have a problem if they are late on the scene of a fight (which of course they always are). They find both students claim "self defense". With this new policy they have made self-defense a crime, now they think they can punish both.

They think they have solved their administrative problem of determining who is at fault by punishing the guilty and the innocent. They do not understand that by making themselves administrators of injustice, they lose what little credibility they had.

If you want to get them to change their policy ask them to respond in writing if this new policy means that they are going to pay for any medical treatments including emotional damage. This would open them up to millions of dollars of potential liability in civil litigation.

Since you are being beaten up because of their failure to administer their institution for your safety in the first place, you are now going to be punished for compensating for their failure.

This idea is not new. Lawyers and judges were inconvenienced by traffic and divorce cases in the 1950s and 60s. They put pressure on state legislatures and we now have no-fault divorce and mandatory car insurance. It is much more convenient for administrators to do their job if anyone who wants a divorce can get one and if everyone else pays for the damage caused by drunk drivers.

Collectivism is intrinsically unfair to the individual. The book "Animal Farm" describes this.

When you look at the policies these people come up with, it is easy to see the self serving behind it. To do something so irrational you can only have three reasons.

1. The administrators are so lazy they don't even think about what they are doing.
2. The administrators are so stupid they cannot understand what they are doing.
3. The administrators are so clever that they are lying about what they are doing.
01-24-2015 01:28 AM
 Thanks given by: FUCKSchoolKCUF , The man
TheShadow Offline
Ninja

Given 24 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

It's bullshit I tell ya. If someone starts a fight with me you can be damn sure that I'll at least try to defend myself, I wouldn't let myself get stomped around by a bully, if the school doesn't like it they can go screw themselves, really.

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority" -Gerald Massey.

"The creative person is usually rebellious. He or she is the survivor of a trauma called education." -Anonymous person

"Reward and punishment is the lowest form of education." -Chuang Tzu
01-24-2015 03:14 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

I've beaten up people before, yes I got in trouble for it but the bullies never bullied me again,
Beat them up anyway, if you don't they are going to continue to make your life miserable

Crap, I was trying to give FUCKschoolCUF a thanks but I accidentally added him to my ignore list

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 06:41 AM by Missile.)
01-24-2015 06:39 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Have you read the handbook they gave you at the beginning of the year(assuming they are required to inform parents of District policies.)? If there is a policy in there that states it then take up an issue with the school board. Also note that if it's a school policy itself, and you get in trouble for it, and do get expelled, some places allow you to appeal to the school board itself.

Here's a tip to all: If you get a policy handbook keep it with you at all times, and learn it inside and out. If you know the policies of the District and the school then you can easily call any bullshit they say. I've actually needed to use it before.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
01-24-2015 08:23 AM
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

Given 119 thank(s) in 76 post(s)

I think it's worth it to try to figure out why kids fight in school. People say, that's just how kids are, but I don't think that's true. Others say, it's because of their families, and that might be part of it, but it's also a cop-out. What do you think would improve the school environmnet and culture so that kids didn't fight?

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-24-2015 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: FUCKSchoolKCUF , eerie138
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

(01-24-2015 09:15 AM)lisafromjackson Wrote:  I What do you think would improve the school environmnet and culture so that kids didn't fight?

Getting rid of bullying would be a major thing to cut down on fights, but that will never happen
[Image: image_zps2037731b.jpg]

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
01-24-2015 10:05 AM
 Thanks given by: Dikont5
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

Given 119 thank(s) in 76 post(s)

I don't think that gets down to the cause of bullying. It just says, Bullies Exist. But I know kids who have been bullied, and also, in turn, bully. I know parents who complain about bullying whose kids have bullied mine.

So I think there aren't really bullies but kids who engage in bullying behavior.

Saying "they are just bullies" doesn't drill down to causes. What do you think?

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-24-2015 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I may have been an oblivious, entitled little brat during my time in elementary and middle school, but the incompetence of school officials knocked me down a peg or two: I've gotten punished just for being punched (whether in the face or the gut) at least twice (and have been threatened with punishment for being punched twice more).

Yet my fist never connected with another kid's face. Yeah, that's fair.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 10:21 AM by Ky.)
01-24-2015 10:20 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

I know how it feels (I haven't been bullied in school, but the thought of being in trouble for defending myself scares me.) Ending self-defense hurts victims, not bullies. I guess they are going by the "if you defend yourself you are a bully" logic, but that helps nobody.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 02:25 PM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
01-24-2015 02:24 PM
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

Given 47 thank(s) in 20 post(s)

I'd say the best way to end the bullying and fighting in school is to just stop going to school Wink
01-24-2015 02:29 PM
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The zero tolerance policy for swearing :-( Xguy 70 23,642 01-06-2017 12:43 PM
Last Post: HSHARK
  Phys Ed Policy... HarvestLife 5 2,820 03-26-2013 08:41 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  School's Cell Phone Policy Let's Pretend This Account Never Existed 15 7,481 01-27-2013 03:33 PM
Last Post: Ky
  I'm Going to Stop a Bad School Policy Ky 18 9,574 10-16-2012 11:33 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  How do I make petition against tyrannical policy? GREATKINGJOSEKLOS 9 5,504 05-13-2012 04:21 AM
Last Post: Endeavourer
  New, dumb school 'security' policy. Wingless 17 7,176 08-24-2010 04:43 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Bullshit school policy. Loxor 4 2,203 02-03-2010 04:45 PM
Last Post: robexib
  Turancy Bull shit Tasty Waffles 5 2,120 06-05-2008 10:23 AM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles
  What the bull shit Jackass McAwesome 3 1,774 03-07-2008 11:10 AM
Last Post: Jackass McAwesome
  In defense of compulsory education SoulRiser 3 2,807 11-06-2007 07:37 PM
Last Post: roberterher