RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpacking the invisible knapsack of adult privilege
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

The Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege
Since its publication in 1988, Peggy McIntosh’s essay, White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, has come to be seen as a standard tool for examining the often unacknowledged advantages conferred on the white majority. The article has since been adapted to reflect the advantages of many other majority groups, spawning lists of straight, thin,cisgender, class, (temporarily) able-bodied and other forms of privilege. As far as I know, the advantages of being neurotypical or neuroconvergent have not previously been listed in a systematic way, with the goal of encouraging a similar analysis.
This explains the genesis of this list, but not its reason for being. As autistic adults, we have often found ourselves excluded from organizations claiming to speak for us. We have been told that our thoughts and experiences are of no value in general discussions of autism. Autistic adults who dare to speak openly on topics related to autism are often treated with condescension, ridicule and disdain.
Autistic children are restrained in isolation rooms, bullied not only by peers but by teachers, while some of us have been told this is not our concern. Autistic adults are tasered by police for their communication and movement differences. Every year, autistic children and adults are murdered for no reason other than their neurology. A life in which a person can be fairly sure these things will not happen to her/him is a privileged life. Having one’s views taken seriously on these subjects is another example of privilege.
In compiling this list, I have been acutely aware that the topic of privilege is one many people find hard to digest. For anyone who has not come across the concept before, or who feels that he or she does not fully understand what it means in this context, I highly recommend reading the original McIntosh article in its entirety before beginning the list of neurotypical privilege presented here. For those who find themselves feeling defensive upon reading, you are not alone. For most of us, this is a necessary part of the process of acknowledging and understanding privilege. Here are a few basic things to remember about privilege:
Privilege is not your fault. It is an artifact of systems that favor some people over others, systems that have evolved naturally to meet the needs of the majority, but have failed to provide adequate accommodations for those outside it.

Privilege is not, in itself, a terrible thing. Having any form of privilege does not make you a bad person. Just about everyone has some form of privilege. (No, that doesn’t mean it all somehow “balances out.”)
The statement that privilege exists is not an accusation or attempt to blame. It is an invitation to see your experiences and the experiences of others in a new light. It is not an admonition to change the world, but a simple tool with which to begin considering if, possibly, some changes might be worth working toward.
Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege

1. My family, friends, and significant others are not told that I am incapable of relating to other human beings.

2. I have never been told, because of my neurology, that I am incapable of feeling pain.

3. For a child of my neurotype, everyday teaching of the skills they will need to live in this society is called education or parenting—not therapy or treatment.

4. People do not constantly tell me that I need to work on the things which I am very bad at, at the expense of things which I am good at and enjoy doing.

5. I can reveal to my boss and coworkers that I am neurotypical (NT), without fear of losing my job.

6. If I am an adult, I can be a sexual being without the assumption that any partner attracted to me must be a predator or pedophile.

7. I am never told that I should not have children, lest I pass on the genes that cause them to be like me.

8. No one speculates about whether I am competent to raise children based solely on my neurology.

9. People do not assume that living in the same household as me is inherently “tragic” or “devastating,” or that my family, friends and partner will need a support group to deal with living with me.

10. If I have relationship problems or get divorced, people do not automatically assume that my neurology was the sole or main cause for these problems.

11. People of my neurology are not generally considered burdensome to our families.

12. People of my neurology are not generally considered burdensome to tax-payers.

13. Nobody will murder me because of my neurology.

14. If I am murdered, my murderer will not be let off because my murder was deemed “an act of mercy,” or given a light sentence because of the stress caused by interacting with me.

15. People do not automatically assume that the best place for me to live is an institution.

16. If I am bullied or abused, people will not assume that my neurology means I am at least partially to blame, or that the abuse would stop if I tried harder to behave like someone else.

17. If I have a medical problem, I do not worry that my doctor will dismiss it as part of my neurotypicality.

18. When attempting to purchase health insurance, I know that I will not be rejected because I am NT.

19. The majority of people who make the laws of my nation share my neurology.

20. I can assume that police officers will not become alarmed at my natural body language, and find it necessary to subdue me in advance of any wrongdoing.

21. I do not have to carry a special card or bracelet with me that explains my natural body movements or the sounds I naturally make.

22. The services that I need to survive not only already exist, but even if I use those services on a 24-hour basis, I will always be considered independent.

23. When I need help performing a particular task, I can ask for help without having to produce documentation to prove I actually need help with it. The help will most often be provided in a manner I can understand, and will not be considered an inconvenience or an act of pity.

24. If I fail to understand autistic people, this is attributed to a deficit inherent in autistic people, rather than in me.

25. If I have a particular talent or ability, I can demonstrate that talent without being called an “idiot savant” or my talent being called a “splinter skill” or some other demeaning word.

26. The definitions of rude and irritating conduct were developed by and for people with my neurology.

27. I am not praised for acting less neurotypical, or punished for acting more neurotypical.

28. I am not expected to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting or expressing emotion in most circumstances.

29. If I fail to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting or expressing emotion, I do not fear public ridicule or exclusion because of this.

30. I will not be asked to leave a space, or to change where I live, because people are uncomfortable with my neurotypical behaviors.

31. When prospective parents and others speak of wanting a “healthy child,” I know that they mean a child like me.

32. No one sees my neurology as being in need of prevention, treatment, or cure.

33. People don't accuse me of grandiosity or derisively dismiss it if I suggest that some admirable historical figure might have been neurotypical.

34. It is considered good for people who are not like me, to try to act more like me.

35. Even if I completely lack a conscience, I am automatically considered less dangerous than autistic people.

36. My natural movements and traits are not used by my peers to ridicule others of their neurological type, either jokingly or maliciously.

37. I can assume that most restaurants, theaters, stores and other places I would like to go will not be so loud or brightly lit or crowded that I will become unable to function at a basic level.

38. My behaviors, abilities, and skill levels at age 2 or 3 are considered indicative of an immature phase of life that will pass naturally, not as representative of my prognosis for the rest of life.

39. I am never told that the fact I have a certain cognitive skill means that I am lying when I say I lack another cognitive skill. Nor am I dismissed as incapable of things I truly can do, because I lack certain cognitive skills.

40. I can discuss my interests at length without being seen as strange or obsessive.

41. If I am visibly upset, people generally assume something must have upset me, and will generally try to help me.

42. If someone of my neurology commits a crime, people do not automatically assume I am more likely to commit a similar crime.

43. If someone of my neurology can do something well, I will not be punished for being unable to do the same thing well or at all.

44. If I am unhappy, people do not automatically assume my unhappiness is directly caused by my neurology.

45. People do not suggest that groups that are made for the benefit of people of my neurological type be lead and ruled by people of a different neurological type, because mine is inherently incapable.

46. I expect people to presume intellect and competence with me.

47. If I fail, most will encourage me by telling me that I will ultimately succeed.

48. I do not have to fear that important decisions about my life will be made by autistic or other non-neurotypical people, just because I am neurotypical.

49. I have never had to take a single test that determines, for my entire lifetime, whether I get to communicate.

50. When I communicate, people do not gather in crowds around me and gawk.

Definition of terms

Majority: The dominant group.

Minority: (1) A racial, religious, political, national, or other group thought to be different from the larger group of which it is part; (2) A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society; (3) a member of one of these groups.

Neurotypical: (1) Having a type of neurology that is expected and/or favored by the society in which one lives. (i.e., having a “normal” or “typical” brain, and the typical sensory processing/body movements/facial expressions associated with a typical neurological system.)

We: (1) The people who helped to create this document—most of us autistic or with other less typical neurology; (2) those who support the recognition of human rights for autistic people and others with less typical neurology.

This document was created by readers of Asperger Square 8. A more extensive list of neurotypical privilege can be found here.

"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group"
Peggy McIntosh
Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.
Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of while privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.
I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.
Describing white privilege makes one newly accountable. As we in women's studies work to reveal male privilege and ask men to give up some of their power, so one who writes about having white privilege must ask, "having described it, what will I do to lessen or end it?"
After I realized the extent to which men work from a base of unacknowledged privilege, I understood that much of their oppressiveness was unconscious. Then I remembered the frequent charges from women of colour that white women whom they encounter are oppressive. I began to understand why we are just seen as oppressive, even when we don't see ourselves that way. I began to count the ways in which I enjoy unearned skin privilege and have been conditioned into oblivion about its existence.
My schooling gave me no training in seeing myself as an oppressor, as an unfairly advantaged person, or as a participant in a damaged culture. I was taught to see myself as an individual whose moral state depended on her individual moral will. My schooling followed the pattern my colleague Elizabeth Minnich has pointed out: whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal, so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work that will allow "them" to be more like "us."
Daily effects of white privilege
I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions that I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined. As far as I can tell, my African American coworkers, friends, and acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time, place and time of work cannot count on most of these conditions.
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.
11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.
12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.
16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.
17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my colour.
18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.
19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of colour who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behaviour without being seen as a cultural outsider.
24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.
25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.
26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.
27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.
28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.
29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.
31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.
32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.
33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.
34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.
36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.
37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.
38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.
39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.
43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.
44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.
45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.
46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.
47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.
48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.
49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.
50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.
Return to the top of the page
Elusive and fugitive
I repeatedly forgot each of the realizations on this list until I wrote it down. For me white privilege has turned out to be an elusive and fugitive subject. The pressure to avoid it is great, for in facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy. If these things are true, this is not such a free country; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own.
In unpacking this invisible knapsack of white privilege, I have listed conditions of daily experience that I once took for granted. Nor did I think of any of these perquisites as bad for the holder. I now think that we need a more finely differentiated taxonomy of privilege, for some of these varieties are only what one would want for everyone in a just society, and others give license to be ignorant, oblivious, arrogant, and destructive.
I see a pattern running through the matrix of white privilege, a patter of assumptions that were passed on to me as a white person. There was one main piece of cultural turf; it was my own turn, and I was among those who could control the turf. My skin color was an asset for any move I was educated to want to make. I could think of myself as belonging in major ways and of making social systems work for me. I could freely disparage, fear, neglect, or be oblivious to anything outside of the dominant cultural forms. Being of the main culture, I could also criticize it fairly freely.
In proportion as my racial group was being made confident, comfortable, and oblivious, other groups were likely being made unconfident, uncomfortable, and alienated. Whiteness protected me from many kinds of hostility, distress, and violence, which I was being subtly trained to visit, in turn, upon people of color.
For this reason, the word "privilege" now seems to me misleading. We usually think of privilege as being a favored state, whether earned or conferred by birth or luck. Yet some of the conditions I have described here work systematically to over empower certain groups. Such privilege simply confers dominance because of one's race or sex.
Return to the top of the page
Earned strength, unearned power
I want, then, to distinguish between earned strength and unearned power conferred privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate. But not all of the privileges on my list are inevitably damaging. Some, like the expectation that neighbors will be decent to you, or that your race will not count against you in court, should be the norm in a just society. Others, like the privilege to ignore less powerful people, distort the humanity of the holders as well as the ignored groups.
We might at least start by distinguishing between positive advantages, which we can work to spread, and negative types of advantage, which unless rejected will always reinforce our present hierarchies. For example, the feeling that one belongs within the human circle, as Native Americans say, should not be seen as privilege for a few. Ideally it is an unearned entitlement. At present, since only a few have it, it is an unearned advantage for them. This paper results from a process of coming to see that some of the power that I originally say as attendant on being a human being in the United States consisted in unearned advantage and conferred dominance.
I have met very few men who truly distressed about systemic, unearned male advantage and conferred dominance. And so one question for me and others like me is whether we will be like them, or whether we will get truly distressed, even outraged, about unearned race advantage and conferred dominance, and, if so, what we will do to lessen them. In any case, we need to do more work in identifying how they actually affect our daily lives. Many, perhaps most, of our white students in the United States think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color; they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity. In addition, since race and sex are not the only advantaging systems at work, we need similarly to examine the daily experience of having age advantage, or ethnic advantage, or physical ability, or advantage related to nationality, religion, or sexual orientation.
Difficulties and angers surrounding the task of finding parallels are many. Since racism, sexism, and heterosexism are not the same, the advantages associated with them should not be seen as the same. In addition, it is hard to disentangle aspects of unearned advantage that rest more on social class, economic class, race, religion, sex, and ethnic identity that on other factors. Still, all of the oppressions are interlocking, as the members of the Combahee River Collective pointed out in their "Black Feminist Statement" of 1977.
One factor seems clear about all of the interlocking oppressions. They take both active forms, which we can see, and embedded forms, which as a member of the dominant groups one is taught not to see. In my class and place, I did not see myself as a racist because I was taught to recognize racism only in individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in invisible systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth.
Disapproving of the system won't be enough to change them. I was taught to think that racism could end if white individuals changed their attitude. But a "white" skin in the United States opens many doors for whites whether or not we approve of the way dominance has been conferred on us. Individual acts can palliate but cannot end, these problems.
To redesign social systems we need first to acknowledge their colossal unseen dimensions. The silences and denials surrounding privilege are the key political surrounding privilege are the key political tool here. They keep the thinking about equality or equity incomplete, protecting unearned advantage and conferred dominance by making these subject taboo. Most talk by whites about equal opportunity seems to me now to be about equal opportunity to try to get into a position of dominance while denying that systems of dominance exist.
It seems to me that obliviousness about white advantage, like obliviousness about male advantage, is kept strongly inculturated in the United States so as to maintain the myth of meritocracy, the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all. Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.
Although systemic change takes many decades, there are pressing questions for me and, I imagine, for some others like me if we raise our daily consciousness on the perquisites of being light-skinned. What will we do with such knowledge? As we know from watching men, it is an open question whether we will choose to use unearned advantage, and whether we will use any of our arbitrarily awarded power to try to reconstruct power systems on a broader base.

The Male Privilege Checklist
An Unabashed Imitation of an article by Peggy McIntosh
In 1990, Wellesley College professor Peggy McIntosh wrote an essay called “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack”. McIntosh observes that whites in the U.S. are “taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group.” To illustrate these invisible systems, McIntosh wrote a list of 26 invisible privileges whites benefit from.
As McIntosh points out, men also tend to be unaware of their own privileges as men. In the spirit of McIntosh’s essay, I thought I’d compile a list similar to McIntosh’s, focusing on the invisible privileges benefiting men.
Due to my own limitations, this list is unavoidably U.S. centric. I hope that writers from other cultures will create new lists, or modify this one, to reflect their own experiences.
Since I first compiled it, the list has been posted many times on internet discussion groups. Very helpfully, many people have suggested additions to the checklist. More commonly, of course, critics (usually, but not exclusively, male) have pointed out men have disadvantages too – being drafted into the army, being expected to suppress emotions, and so on. These are indeed bad things – but I never claimed that life for men is all ice cream sundaes.
Obviously, there are individual exceptions to most problems discussed on the list. The existence of individual exceptions does not mean that general problems are not a concern.
Pointing out that men are privileged in no way denies that bad things happen to men. Being privileged does not mean men are given everything in life for free; being privileged does not mean that men do not work hard, do not suffer. In many cases – from a boy being bullied in school, to a soldier dying in war – the sexist society that maintains male privilege also does great harm to boys and men.
In the end, however, it is men and not women who make the most money; men and not women who dominate the government and the corporate boards; men and not women who dominate virtually all of the most powerful positions of society. And it is women and not men who suffer the most from intimate violence and rape; who are the most likely to be poor; who are, on the whole, given the short end of patriarchy’s stick.
Several critics have also argued that the list somehow victimizes women. I disagree; pointing out problems is not the same as perpetuating them. It is not a “victimizing” position to acknowledge that injustice exists; on the contrary, without that acknowledgment it isn’t possible to fight injustice.
An internet acquaintance of mine once wrote, “The first big privilege which whites, males, people in upper economic classes, the able bodied, the straight (I think one or two of those will cover most of us) can work to alleviate is the privilege to be oblivious to privilege.” This checklist is, I hope, a step towards helping men to give up the “first big privilege.”
The Male Privilege Checklist
1. My odds of being hired for a job, when competing against female applicants, are probably skewed in my favor. The more prestigious the job, the larger the odds are skewed.
2. I can be confident that my co-workers won’t think I got my job because of my sex – even though that might be true. (More).
3. If I am never promoted, it’s not because of my sex.
4. If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won’t be seen as a black mark against my entire sex’s capabilities.
5. I am far less likely to face sexual harassment at work than my female co-workers are. (More).
6. If I do the same task as a woman, and if the measurement is at all subjective, chances are people will think I did a better job.
7. If I’m a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are relatively low. (More).
8. On average, I am taught to fear walking alone after dark in average public spaces much less than my female counterparts are.
9. If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question.
10. If I have children but do not provide primary care for them, my masculinity will not be called into question.
11. If I have children and provide primary care for them, I’ll be praised for extraordinary parenting if I’m even marginally competent. (More).
12. If I have children and a career, no one will think I’m selfish for not staying at home.
13. If I seek political office, my relationship with my children, or who I hire to take care of them, will probably not be scrutinized by the press.
14. My elected representatives are mostly people of my own sex. The more prestigious and powerful the elected position, the more this is true.
15. When I ask to see “the person in charge,” odds are I will face a person of my own sex. The higher-up in the organization the person is, the surer I can be.
16. As a child, chances are I was encouraged to be more active and outgoing than my sisters. (More).
17. As a child, I could choose from an almost infinite variety of children’s media featuring positive, active, non-stereotyped heroes of my own sex. I never had to look for it; male protagonists were (and are) the default.
18. As a child, chances are I got more teacher attention than girls who raised their hands just as often. (More).
19. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether or not it has sexist overtones.
20. I can turn on the television or glance at the front page of the newspaper and see people of my own sex widely represented.
21. If I’m careless with my financial affairs it won’t be attributed to my sex.
22. If I’m careless with my driving it won’t be attributed to my sex.
23. I can speak in public to a large group without putting my sex on trial.
24. Even if I sleep with a lot of women, there is no chance that I will be seriously labeled a “slut,” nor is there any male counterpart to “slut-bashing.” (More).
25. I do not have to worry about the message my wardrobe sends about my sexual availability. (More).
26. My clothing is typically less expensive and better-constructed than women’s clothing for the same social status. While I have fewer options, my clothes will probably fit better than a woman’s without tailoring. (More).
27. The grooming regimen expected of me is relatively cheap and consumes little time. (More).
28. If I buy a new car, chances are I’ll be offered a better price than a woman buying the same car. (More).
29. If I’m not conventionally attractive, the disadvantages are relatively small and easy to ignore.
30. I can be loud with no fear of being called a shrew. I can be aggressive with no fear of being called a bitch.
31. I can ask for legal protection from violence that happens mostly to men without being seen as a selfish special interest, since that kind of violence is called “crime” and is a general social concern. (Violence that happens mostly to women is usually called “domestic violence” or “acquaintance rape,” and is seen as a special interest issue.)
32. I can be confident that the ordinary language of day-to-day existence will always include my sex. “All men are created equal,” mailman, chairman, freshman, he.
33. My ability to make important decisions and my capability in general will never be questioned depending on what time of the month it is.
34. I will never be expected to change my name upon marriage or questioned if I don’t change my name.
35. The decision to hire me will not be based on assumptions about whether or not I might choose to have a family sometime soon.
36. Every major religion in the world is led primarily by people of my own sex. Even God, in most major religions, is pictured as male.
37. Most major religions argue that I should be the head of my household, while my wife and children should be subservient to me.
38. If I have a wife or live-in girlfriend, chances are we’ll divide up household chores so that she does most of the labor, and in particular the most repetitive and unrewarding tasks. (More).
39. If I have children with my girlfriend or wife, I can expect her to do most of the basic childcare such as changing diapers and feeding.
40. If I have children with my wife or girlfriend, and it turns out that one of us needs to make career sacrifices to raise the kids, chances are we’ll both assume the career sacrificed should be hers.
41. Assuming I am heterosexual, magazines, billboards, television, movies, pornography, and virtually all of media is filled with images of scantily-clad women intended to appeal to me sexually. Such images of men exist, but are rarer.
42. In general, I am under much less pressure to be thin than my female counterparts are. (More). If I am fat, I probably suffer fewer social and economic consequences for being fat than fat women do. (More).
43. If I am heterosexual, it’s incredibly unlikely that I’ll ever be beaten up by a spouse or lover. (More).
44. Complete strangers generally do not walk up to me on the street and tell me to “smile.” (More: 1 2).
45. Sexual harassment on the street virtually never happens to me. I do not need to plot my movements through public space in order to avoid being sexually harassed, or to mitigate sexual harassment. (More.)
45. On average, I am not interrupted by women as often as women are interrupted by men.
46. I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege.

Sexual Orientation
Daily effects of straight privilege
This article is based on Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege and was written by a number of straight-identified students at Earlham College who got together to look at some examples of straight privilege. These dynamics are but a few examples of the privilege which straight people have. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer-identified folk have a range of different experiences, but cannot count on most of these conditions in their lives.
On a daily basis as a straight person…
• I can be pretty sure that my roomate, hallmates and classmates will be comfortable with my sexual orientation.
• If I pick up a magazine, watch TV, or play music, I can be certain my sexual orientation will be represented.
• When I talk about my heterosexuality (such as in a joke or talking about my relationships), I will not be accused of pushing my sexual orientation onto others.
• I do not have to fear that if my family or friends find out about my sexual orientation there will be economic, emotional, physical or psychological consequences.
• I did not grow up with games that attack my sexual orientation (IE fag tag or smear the queer).
• I am not accused of being abused, warped or psychologically confused because of my sexual orientation.
• I can go home from most meetings, classes, and conversations without feeling excluded, fearful, attacked, isolated, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, stereotyped or feared because of my sexual orientation.
• I am never asked to speak for everyone who is heterosexual.
• I can be sure that my classes will require curricular materials that testify to the existence of people with my sexual orientation.
• People don't ask why I made my choice of sexual orientation.
• People don't ask why I made my choice to be public about my sexual orientation.
• I do not have to fear revealing my sexual orientation to friends or family. It's assumed.
• My sexual orientation was never associated with a closet.
• People of my gender do not try to convince me to change my sexual orientation.
• I don't have to defend my heterosexuality.
• I can easily find a religious community that will not exclude me for being heterosexual.
• I can count on finding a therapist or doctor willing and able to talk about my sexuality.
• I am guaranteed to find sex education literature for couples with my sexual orientation.
• Because of my sexual orientation, I do not need to worry that people will harass me.
• I have no need to qualify my straight identity.
• My masculinity/femininity is not challenged because of my sexual orientation.
• I am not identified by my sexual orientation.
• I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help my sexual orientation will not work against me.
• If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it has sexual orientation overtones.
• Whether I rent or I go to a theater, Blockbuster, an EFS or TOFS movie, I can be sure I will not have trouble finding my sexual orientation represented.
• I am guaranteed to find people of my sexual orientation represented in the Earlham curriculum, faculty, and administration.
• I can walk in public with my significant other and not have people double-take or stare.
• I can choose to not think politically about my sexual orientation.
• I do not have to worry about telling my roommate about my sexuality. It is assumed I am a heterosexual.
• I can remain oblivious of the language and culture of LGBTQ folk without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
• I can go for months without being called straight.
• I'm not grouped because of my sexual orientation.
• My individual behavior does not reflect on people who identity as heterosexual.
• In everyday conversation, the language my friends and I use generally assumes my sexual orientation. For example, sex inappropriately referring to only heterosexual sex or family meaning heterosexual relationships with kids.
• People do not assume I am experienced in sex (or that I even have it!) merely because of my sexual orientation.
• I can kiss a person of the opposite gender on the heart or in the cafeteria without being watched and stared at.
• Nobody calls me straight with maliciousness.
• People can use terms that describe my sexual orientation and mean positive things (IE "straight as an arrow", "standing up straight" or "straightened out") instead of demeaning terms (IE "ewww, that's gay" or being "queer").
• I am not asked to think about why I am straight.
• I can be open about my sexual orientation without worrying about my job.
• If you’re asking yourself what in the world “cisgender” (often shortened to “cis”) means, then don’t worry. If you’re not familiar with the queer community, it can sound like an intimidating word, but it’s not! In the way that transgender can describe how someone’s gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth, cisgender simply describes an individual whose gender identity matches with the sex they were assigned at birth. Simple!
• Unfortunately, it’s so simple that it’s accepted as the norm. It can be easy to remain ignorant of the many privileges that identifying as cisgender provides, but it’s important to be aware of these privileges and how they influence our feminism. Here is a list of cisgender privileges to get your brain working on how you can make your campus a more trans* inclusive, friendly, and safe space!
• 1. I can introduce myself to a group of strangers without having to explain my preferred pronouns.
• 2. I don’t have to deal with people asking me about my genitalia as though it’s their business.
• 3. I can be certain that my professors will call me by my preferred name and pronouns.
• 4. I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my gender identity most of the time.
• 5. I can wear clothing traditionally belonging to the opposite gender without being asked if I’m “a boy or a girl.”
• 6. I can use the bathroom without fear of being yelled at, harassed, or attacked.
• 7. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my gender identity.
• 8. I don’t have to justify my gender presentation on what others believe my gender should be.
• 9. I can get dressed without worrying about “passing.”
• 10. I don’t have to worry about my driver’s license matching my gender expression if I get pulled over.
• 11. I don’t have to justify my gender based on preconceptions on the right ways to be “feminine” or “masculine.”
• 12. I can date people without having to explain my gender identity.
• 13. I can introduce myself to people without being asked about my “real” name.
• 14. I can seek medical attention without fear of being mistreated by health care professionals.
• 15. I can trust that my health care will cover necessary surgeries and treatments for my physical and mental health.
• 16. I can go to gendered places, such as locker rooms, without fear of being harassed or kicked out.
• 17. I can fill out an employment form knowing there is a gender selection option that matches the identity I am comfortable with.
• 18. I can dress for my job in clothing that matches my gender without worrying about being fired.
• 19. I can expect my friends to use my preferred pronoun without having to correct them.
• 20. I can apply for an apartment or house without worrying that my application will be denied on my gender alone.
• 21. I can turn on the TV and see my gender represented as more than a comedic tool.
• 22. I can be sure that my children can go to school without being bullied because of my chosen gender.
• 23. I can use my debit/credit card without a cashier believing it is credit fraud.
• 24. I can walk down the street without fear of violence because of my gender presentation.
• 25. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment by or hostility from those who deal with us.
• 26. I do not have to justify my partner’s sexual orientation within the context of my gender expression.
• 27. I do not have to answer questions about my sex life to satisfy other people’s curiosity.

Christian Privilege

It is likely that state and federal holidays coincide with my religious practices, thereby having little to no impact on my job and/or education.
I can talk openly about my religious practices without concern for how it will be received by others.
I can be sure to hear music on the radio and watch specials on television that celebrate the holidays of my religion.
When told about the history of civilization, I am can be sure that I am shown people of my religion made it what it is.
I can worry about religious privilege without being perceived as “self-interested” or “selfseeking.”

I can have a “Jesus is Lord” bumper sticker or Icthus (Christian Fish) on my car and not worry about someone vandalizing my car because of it.

I can share my holiday greetings without being fully conscious of how it may impact those who do not celebrate the same holidays. Also, I can be sure that people are knowledgeable about the holidays of my religion and will greet me with the appropriate holiday greeting (e.g., Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, etc.).
I can probably assume that there is a universality of religious experience.
I can deny Christian Privilege by asserting that all religions are essentially the same.
I probably do not need to learn the religious or spiritual customs of others, and I am likely not penalized for not knowing them.
I am probably unencumbered by having to explain why I am or am not doing things related to my religious norms on a daily basis.
I am likely not judged by the improper actions of others in my religious group.
If I wish, I can usually or exclusively be among those from my religious group most of the time (in work, school, or at home).

I can assume that my safety, or the safety of my family, will not be put in jeopardy by disclosing my religion to others at work or at school.
It is likely that mass media represents my religion widely AND positively.

It is likely that I can find items to buy that represent my religious norms and holidays with relative ease (e.g., food, decorations, greeting cards, etc.).

I can speak or write about my religion, and even critique other religions, and have these perspectives listened to and published with relative ease and without much fear of reprisal.
I could write an article on Christian Privilege without putting my own religion on trial.

I can travel without others assuming that I put them at risk because of my religion; nor will my religion put me at risk from others when I travel.
I can be financially successful without the assumption from others that this success is connected to my religion.
I can protect myself (and my children) from people who may not like me (or them) based on my religion.

Law enforcement officials will likely assume I am a non-threatening person if my religion is disclosed to them. In fact, disclosure may actually help law enforcement officials perceive me as being “in the right” or “unbiased.”
I can safely assume that any authority figure will generally be someone of my religion.

I can talk about my religion, even proselytize, and be characterized as “sharing the word,” instead of imposing my ideas on others.
I can be gentle and affirming to people without being characterized as an exception to my religion.
I am never asked to speak on behalf of all Christians.

My citizenship and immigration status will likely not be questioned, and my background will likely not be investigated, because of my religion.
My place of worship is probably not targeted for violence because of sentiment against my religion.
I can be sure that my religion will not work against me when seeking medical or legal help.

My religion will not cause teachers to pigeonhole me into certain professions based of the assumed “prowess” of my religious group.
I will not have my children taken from me from governmental authorities who are aware of my religious affiliation.
Disclosure of my religion to an adoption agency will likely not prevent me from being able to adopt children.
If I wish to give my children a parochial religious education, I probably have a variety of options nearby.
I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence and importance of my religion.
I can be sure that when someone in the media is referring to God, they are referring to my (Christian) God.
I can easily find academic courses and institutions that give attention only to people of my religion.

My religious holidays are so completely “normal” that, in many ways, they may appear to no longer have any religious significance at all.
The elected and unelected officials of my government probably are members of my religious group.
When swearing an oath, I am probably making this oath by placing my hand on the scripture of my religion.
I can openly display my religious symbol(s) on my person or property without fear of disapproval, violence, and/or vandalism.

Following is a list of middle-to-upper class privileges. If you are a member of the middle class or upper class economic groups (or, in some cases, perceived to be) listed below are benefits that may be granted to you based on your group membership — benefits not granted to folks in the lower class. The goal of the list is to help folks who have access to these privileges be more cognizant of their privilege, encouraging better understanding of class-based difference in our society.
1. Politicians pay attention to your class, and fight for your vote in election seasons.
2. You can advocate for your class to politicians and not have to worry about being seen as looking for a handout.
3. You can readily find accurate (or non-caricatured) examples of members your class depicted in films, television, and other media.
4. New products are designed and marketed with your social class in mind.
5. If you see something advertised that you really want, you will buy it.

6. You can swear (or commit a crime) without people attributing it to the low morals of your class.
7. If you find yourself in a legally perilous situation, you can hire an attorney to ensure your case is heard justly.
8. You can talk with your mouth full and not have people attribute this to the uncivilized nature of your social class.
9. You can attend a “fancy” dinner without apprehension of doing something wrong or embarrassing the hosts.
10. You understand the difference between healthy and unhealthy food, and can choose to eat healthy food if you wish.
11. You can walk around your neighborhood at night without legitimate concern for your safety.
12. In the case of medical emergency, you won’t have to decide against visiting a doctor or the hospital due to economic reasons.
13. You have visited a doctor for a “check-up.”
14. Your eyesight, smile, and general health aren’t inhibited by your income.
15. If you become sick, you can seek medical care immediately and not just “hope it goes away.”
16. If you choose to wear hand-me-down or second-hand clothing, this won’t be attributed to your social class, and may actually be considered stylish.
17. You can update your wardrobe with new clothes to match current styles and trends.
18. As a kid, you were able to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities (field trips, clubs, etc.) with school friends.
19. As a kid, your friends’ parents allowed your friends to play and sleep over at your house.
20. You don’t have to worry that teachers or employers will treat you poorly or have negative expectations of you because of your class.
21. The schools you went to as a kid had updated textbooks, computers, and a solid faculty.
22. Growing up, college was an expectation of you (whether you chose to go or not), not a lofty dream.
23. Your decision to go or not to go to college wasn’t based entirely on financial determinants.
24. People aren’t surprised if they realize you are intelligent, hard-working, or honest.
25. An annual raise in pay at your job is measured in dollars, not cents.
26. You’ve likely never looked into a paycheck advance business (e.g., “Check Into Cash”), and have definitely never used one.
27. You are never asked to speak for all members of your class.
28. Whenever you’ve moved out of your home it has been voluntary, and you had another home to move into.
29. It’s your choice to own a reliable car or to choose other means of transportation.
30. Regardless of the season, you can count on being able to fall asleep in a room with a comfortable temperature.
31. When you flip a light switch in your house, you don’t have to wonder if the light will come on (or if your utilities have been terminated).
32. People don’t assume you’ve made an active choice to be in your social class, but instead assume you’re working to improve it.
33. The “dream” of a house, a healthy family, and a solid career isn’t a dream at all, but simply a plan.
34. People do not assume based on the dialect you grew up speaking that you are unintelligent or lazy.
35. When you choose to use variants of language (e.g., slang terms) people chalk them up to plasticity in the language (rather than assuming your particular dialectical variants deserve redicule and punishment).

The Invisible Knapsack of White Privilege, conceived by Peggy McIntosh, discusses the many things a white person takes for granted, in list form. As a white person, many of these things were uncomfortable to read, but I also saw reflected in them the things that men, wealthy people, and non-disabled people take for granted.

I've decided to build an invisible crutch from things that constitute abled privilege, without repeating too much of what is in McIntosh's list (so read her list, and substitute "disability" for "color" for many of those things).

1. I can, if I wish, arrange to attend social events without worrying if they are accessible to me.

2. If I am in the company of people that make me uncomfortable, I can easily choose to move elsewhere.

3. I can easily find housing that is accessible to me, with no barriers to my mobility.

4. I can go shopping alone most of the time and be able to reach and obtain all of the items without assistance, know that cashiers will notice I am there, and can easily see and use the credit card machines.

5. I can turn on the television and see people of my ability level widely and accurately represented.

6. I can be pretty sure of my voice being heard in a group where I am the only person of my ability level represented--and they will make eye contact with me.

7. I can advocate for my children in their schools without my ability level being blamed for my children's performance or behavior.

8. I can do well in a challenging situation without being told what an inspiration I am.

9. If I ask to speak to someone "in charge", I can be relatively assured that the person will make eye contact with me and not treat me like I am stupid.

10. I can belong to an organization and not feel that others resent my membership because of my ability level.

11. I do not have to fear being preyed upon because of my ability level.

12. I can be reasonably assured that I won't be late for meetings due to mobility barriers.

13. I can use most cosmetics and personal care products without worrying that they will cause a painful or dangerous reaction.

14. I can usually go about in public without other people's personal care products causing me painful or dangerous reactions.

15. My neighborhood allows me to move about on sidewalks, into stores, and into friends' homes without difficulty.

16. People do not tell me that my ability level means I should not have children.

17. I can be reasonably sure that I will be able to make it to a regular job every day.

18. I know that my income can increase based on my performance, and I can seek new and better employment if I choose; I do not have to face a court battle to get an increase in my income.

19. My daily routine does not have to be carefully planned to accommodate medication or therapy schedules.

20. I can share my life with an animal companion without my ability to care for them being called into question due to my financial and ability situations.

21. If I am not feeling well, and decide to stay in bed, I will likely be believed and not told that I am lazy and worthless.

I am sure there are more that I haven't thought of. Do keep in mind that I've tried NOT to copy Ms. McIntosh's work, because there's no need--most of what she says definitely applies to this list as well.

TL;DR: So ... there's various things I've been reading about various privileges that happen simply because of the way somebody was born. Let's say someone called Joe is a straight while male and well ... an 'average' Joe. There are lots of benefits that he has, that he doesn't think about because the culture uses him as the default model. So it's your turn ... what privileges does an adult get, simply by virtue of being an adult?

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
04-05-2013 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I have a tic disorder and, even though the vast majority of those things on the checklist don't apply to me (maybe because my disorder is so mild) and I am considered neurotypical by the common definition, I would say that making people feel bad about being in a normal situation doesn't help yours whatsoever. I have never found satisfaction in pulling out a list of my problems and looking at people and saying, "you aren't like me, you don't understand, and you have it so much better. Here's this checklist to prove it."

As a note: that was a lot to read and I honestly only read most of the neurotypical privilege list.

Switching gears a bit, what kind of things have happened to you that you feel discriminated about? Have you had trouble dating, getting a job, or even just had people assume untrue things about you?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-05-2013 11:50 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

RE: Unpacking the invisible knapsack of adult privilege

Really? Honestly, it helped me understand a little that whole "driving/shopping while black" thing that due to being white, I had zero experience of. Before reading the checklist of white privielege ... I had no idea about it.

Besides, the whole point is that it SHOULDN'T be a normal situation and walking around with our eyes closed won't help.

stupid article
04-05-2013 04:30 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Hm. I'll come back later to read this.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-05-2013 09:23 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(04-05-2013 04:30 PM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Really? Honestly, it helped me understand a little that whole "driving/shopping while black" thing that due to being white, I had zero experience of. Before reading the checklist of white privielege ... I had no idea about it.

Yeah, but I'm not discriminating against black people. Or Asians. Or people with an atypical neurology so why should I feel bad?

However, the point I'm trying to make is that I shouldn't feel guilty just because I'm a male white person. You shouldn't feel guilty either for being a majority. I just feel like they list those things to make me feel bad about being who I am, but the truth is that I really have no guilt at all over things I have no control over. Nobody should feel guilty because of their privilege because there isn't a fixed amount of privilege out there and, in most cases, my privilege doesn't screw someone else out of also being privileged. Yes, changes need to be made, but the majority of the fight for equality for the vast majority of the groups in those lists has already happened and things are improving daily.

Heck, this idea of privilege is also a bit off, I think. The term privilege denotes something abnormal, like I'm some sort of royalty just because I'm white, just because there aren't as many people that discriminate against me. Is it really a privilege to have something that, presumably, everyone should have? No, I'm not privileged in that sense, black people just have it shitty. A privilege would be me enslaving a black person. No doubt, there are some privileges listed up there, but many of them (dare I say a majority?) are just normal things, not privileges. It's nothing special to be able to go to a store and not be suspected of shoplifting. I bet the majority of times a black person goes to a store they aren't suspected either, at least in the modern era.

Quote:Besides, the whole point is that it SHOULDN'T be a normal situation and walking around with our eyes closed won't help.

I really don't feel like making people feel bad helps either. Maybe I'm just an unsympathetic asshole, but when people come up to me and say, "You have it so much better, look at how awful I have it," I want them to go away and stop being annoying because it's not like I did it to them. I don't oppress anybody and I can't go around using magic mind rays to make the dickheads that do discriminate against minorities change their minds.

I also think it focuses on their disadvantages when these people should be focusing on their commonalities with the rest of humanity and their achievements. I wouldn't want anyone feeling sorry for me, I would want them to respect me. The minority's victim mentality tends to foster paternalism and coddling of the minority by the guilt ridden majority. Look at stuff like [reverse discrimination]/[affirmative action], where colleges and other institutions are incentivized to accept people of color on the basis, not always of their talent and achievement, but of their race. It's preposterous that this could actually help a minority group of people be self-reliant and not dependent on the majority group.

04-06-2013 05:41 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

You do realise that the white privilege list was written by a white woman, right? Male privilege was written by a group of men and so on. Take of that what you will. Besides, making people feel bad about a normal situation does work - it's the whole basis of advertising and is, you know, how our entire economy works.

stupid article
04-06-2013 09:11 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

They don't generally make us feel guilty though, unless you're a woman and they're advertising the most recent low-calorie snack or diet fad.

04-06-2013 09:29 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Or unless they're making you feel "bad-parent" guilt for not buying the latest product that's marketed as the must-have in child safety or they're nspcc/barnado ads or unless they're psas of some description. Or unless... or unless or unless or unless...

stupid article
04-06-2013 10:20 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Well I don't feel guilty at due to ads. I laugh at the ads with the starving Africans in them while I merrily chomp on a large bacon cheeseburger and cackle maniacally at the fact I have so much white male privilege.

Also, on another subject, just how much of a Trekkie are you?

04-06-2013 04:08 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Eh, fair enough, but they are trying to make you feel guilty.

stupid article
05-13-2013 09:53 PM
nrgyzerbenny Offline
Militant Atheist

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I wasnt poor and my parents just didnt care what school i went to i had to endure a bad poor school.It sucked but i finally convinced them to homeschool me after a few years and i showed them a news report for a bad teacher being fired for treating students like animals not the regular treatment but making an autistic child eat with her mouth on a floor, it was surprising she was even allowed to have a tray.
06-23-2013 10:53 AM
cheeselover Offline
Rebel

Given 17 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

the list of adult "privileges" over children/teens would be endless…
06-24-2013 08:02 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

(06-24-2013 08:02 AM)cheeselover Wrote:  the list of adult "privileges" over children/teens would be endless…

That's why there's a blog for it!

http://adultprivilege.tumblr.com/

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
06-24-2013 03:49 PM
cheeselover Offline
Rebel

Given 17 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

that's a very interesting blog. Thanks for posting the link.
06-25-2013 10:41 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I made a Non-white non-cismale transgendered homosexual privilege checklist:
1. I usually don't have to read these stupid checklists.
2. I don't have to worry that a joke I tell or a comment I make will offend someone and make me look like an asshole.
3. I don't have any group based guilt because my ancestors didn't own slaves or massacre untold numbers of indigenous peoples.
4. I don't have to fear being accused of sexual harassment just for staring at a nice rack.
5. If someone says "DIE CIS SCUM" I don't feel threatened.
6. If the draft is brought back, I don't have to worry about having my ass sent off to be slaughtered in a military conflict against my will.
7. I can sing ALL the words to a rap song without feeling any guilt.
8. I don't feel out of place in the Women and Gender Studies department.
9. People do not question my ability to dance due to my race.

Admittedly this list is shorter and mostly bullshit but seriously white males are tired of reading these checklists.

06-30-2013 06:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  18 is adult? McGee! 78 40,373 05-22-2017 01:52 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Adult privilege Sophie 16 11,664 05-21-2017 03:33 PM
Last Post: Avatar Korra
  Minds of the controlling adult fish20 8 5,678 05-21-2017 09:24 AM
  Tried as an adult The man 9 5,592 05-14-2017 06:21 AM
  How adult are you? SoulRiser 112 44,233 10-06-2016 08:05 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  When an adult tell you to do something you do it! and respect Night 18 12,118 06-24-2013 01:05 AM
Last Post: Lime
  The Invisible One Human V. 2.0 1 1,432 01-20-2006 06:01 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd