RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College and high school
ErisQuodSum Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: College and trolling

Weswammy Wrote:
ErisQuodSum Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:If that's what floats his boat. Better sheep than goats, is all I can say.

The problem is that he has no plan. He's been saying crazy shit like that for years though, he's probably not going to do it.
You don't have to have a plan per se, just a general idea. That's enough to get in a general direction in life.

What does he really want? Ask him that.

I'm really talking more about like, money, and not being dirt poor. But college doesn't even guarantee that, seeing as there's still the great chance of being unemployed, homeless, and in debt after graduation.

(Another reason why some colleges are a giant trap)

"Troll" is a common defense mechanism. If someone disagrees with you, the immediate reaction is "lol troll." You can't just jump to that conclusion because you want to be victimized, however.

Granted, sometimes you are being trolled.

Sometimes you're just wrong.
07-15-2011 04:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

ErisQuodSum Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:
ErisQuodSum Wrote:The problem is that he has no plan. He's been saying crazy shit like that for years though, he's probably not going to do it.
You don't have to have a plan per se, just a general idea. That's enough to get in a general direction in life.

What does he really want? Ask him that.

I'm really talking more about like, money, and not being dirt poor. But college doesn't even guarantee that, seeing as there's still the great chance of being unemployed, homeless, and in debt after graduation.

(Another reason why some colleges are a giant trap)
There's a bigger chance of being unemployed if you go dur-hur and get a BA in Philosophy than getting one in, say, Engineering. But you can go one and get a Phd in Philosophy and teach it. Degrees are only good if there's a job market for people with that degree.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-15-2011 04:47 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
Re: College and high school

ErisQuodSum Wrote:The whole point of this site is that you guys wish high school could be college. But it's not and it never will be. So the most you can do is realize that high school isn't anywhere close to being fatal or soulsucking and just put up with it until you get to college.

Oh, wait, your bad grades might keep you from doing that.

Well I guess that's why some of you have to stop whining and learn to beat the system instead of wasting time hopelessly trying to fix it.

Herp or we can make sure our kids don't go through the same bullshit. Homeschooling (unschooling) needs to become more secular... my kids will NEVER be forced to go to a silly government institution.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
07-15-2011 05:40 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:Herp or we can make sure our kids don't go through the same bullshit. Homeschooling (unschooling) needs to become more secular... my kids will NEVER be forced to go to a silly government institution.

Here here!
07-15-2011 06:49 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

You guys should take it easy on him. He obviously doesn't understand that whiny emo bitch shit is our thing.
And no, I don't want college to be highschool. I"m anti-institutionalized education.

I do agree that it is stupid to complain about high school if you want college because in a way, high school does prepare you for college, depending on where you go.
College is okay, but then again, I'm pretty sure it's a scam.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
07-15-2011 10:50 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Jobs, and college, and school unless compulsory, is psuedo-security, so fucked up.
Homeless people do go to highschool, and they do go to college. Doesn't mean shit for alot of people.
The system is obviously only meant for some people to succeed/ It's just one big grey wage slave race to nowhere, so many dreams are lies, so many lies are dreams.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

07-15-2011 10:56 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:Jobs, and college, and school unless compulsory, is psuedo-security, so fucked up.
Homeless people do go to highschool, and they do go to college. Doesn't mean shit for alot of people.
The system is obviously only meant for some people to succeed/ It's just one big grey wage slave race to nowhere, so many dreams are lies, so many lies are dreams.
LOL
I got a job as an on call field tech for apple microsoft hp and dell in my town. all it took was a few test and to get A+ certified and now i get the moniez of idiots who dont know how to install basic computing things like windows 7, servers, etc
07-15-2011 11:19 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Honestly jobs are like the lottery nowadays.
You either know somebody or get extremely lucky.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-15-2011 11:30 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:Honestly jobs are like the lottery nowadays.

THIS VERILY!

I got my bank job because my dad knew people... I got my retail job because my friend worked their... I got my teaching job because my mom worked their and another one because my dad knew the superintendent... I got my lifeguard job because a friend worked at the pool... my certs just expired so I can't guard anymore and so I work maintenance at the pool now because the people knew me. Only two jobs I got were strictly from my resume and those were both teaching jobs.

If you think about it it does make sense to hire someone you know... Why hire some unknown when you can hire someone you know to be reliable and good.... or at least you are more sure of that than the unknown... on the other hand firing a worker strictly to hire your relative or friend is fucked up if the worker is doing their job.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
07-15-2011 11:48 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

ErisQuodSum Wrote:high school isn't anywhere close to being fatal or soulsucking
Yes, it is, and college is worse.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-16-2011 07:07 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:Honestly jobs are like the lottery nowadays.

THIS VERILY!

I got my bank job because my dad knew people... I got my retail job because my friend worked their... I got my teaching job because my mom worked their and another one because my dad knew the superintendent... I got my lifeguard job because a friend worked at the pool... my certs just expired so I can't guard anymore and so I work maintenance at the pool now because the people knew me. Only two jobs I got were strictly from my resume and those were both teaching jobs.

If you think about it it does make sense to hire someone you know... Why hire some unknown when you can hire someone you know to be reliable and good.... or at least you are more sure of that than the unknown... on the other hand firing a worker strictly to hire your relative or friend is fucked up if the worker is doing their job.
:<_<: :>_>:

I wrote a kick ass resume and put it on Monster.com. Two weeks later I got a call from my current boss and I've been working with him ever since. Same thing with my job at the nursing home, only I sent the resume by fax and received an interview a week later.
07-16-2011 07:15 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I've been to kutz town. I went in ninth grade for a wrestling match or some shit. It was pretty cool, but I fucking hated wrestling, so I didn't re-up in tenth.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to college, and if I do it's going to be online while I'm working my future job.

Also, HoS, you're black so you can just claim racial discrimination, or get welfare or something.

And ayliana that's because of your tits or whatever.

:troll: :troll:

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-16-2011 07:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

ErisQuodSum Wrote:The whole point of this site is that you guys wish high school could be college.
That seems like it would be better, doesn't it? People aren't forced to go, you aren't required to attend class (except some teachers have attendance policies that if you don't come all the time you fail), You take fewer classes at once, you get some choice in when your classes are, you get to choose what to take (as long as it falls into a degree plan), and the teachers treat you like an adult (erm.. in theory).
Quote:But it's not and it never will be.
There's no logical reason it couldn't be. Getting it to be would involve changing people's minds... or reaching younger people before they are indoctrinated.
Quote:So the most you can do is realize that high school isn't anywhere close to being fatal or soulsucking
1) I don't see how this follows from what you've already said. 2) No one says high school is "fatal". Of course some people die in high school, but some people die just about everywhere. 3)High school is soulsucking, so how could anyone "realize" that it's not?
Quote:and just put up with it until you get to college.
Or just not do it.

Quote:Oh, wait, your bad grades might keep you from doing that.

Well I guess that's why some of you have to stop whining and learn to beat the system instead of wasting time hopelessly trying to fix it.
Beating the system can lead to it being fixed.

This is how you beat the system: You move to a state that has unregulated home-schooling and you "home-school". Except you actually do unschooling. Then your parents sign a final high school transcript for you (that you put whatever shit you want to on) and you send it into a college and you get in based on SAT or ACT scores and the fact that you were "home-schooled" never hurts you in any way ever whatsoever.

If enough people stop going to public school, the gubment won't be able to justify pouring money into it. Hence, the system gets "fixed", i.e. eliminated.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-16-2011 07:46 AM
ErisQuodSum Offline
Revolutionary

Prince Rilian Wrote:That seems like it would be better, doesn't it? People aren't forced to go, you aren't required to attend class (except some teachers have attendance policies that if you don't come all the time you fail), You take fewer classes at once, you get some choice in when your classes are, you get to choose what to take (as long as it falls into a degree plan), and the teachers treat you like an adult (erm.. in theory).

Yep, college pretty much sounds like a good deal. If you go to the right one. Affordable and worthwhile.

Quote:There's no logical reason it couldn't be. Getting it to be would involve changing people's minds... or reaching younger people before they are indoctrinated.

The world isn't ready for a revolution right now. You'll have to do some waiting.

Quote:1) I don't see how this follows from what you've already said. 2) No one says high school is "fatal". Of course some people die in high school, but some people die just about everywhere. 3)High school is soulsucking, so how could anyone "realize" that it's not?

I feel like I still have a soul...

Quote:Or just not do it.

Or just find ways to have fun, do extra things like track, or musical, or band, make good friends, hone your hobbies and make those four years worth your time. That's why I had fun in high school.

Quote:This is how you beat the system: You move to a state that has unregulated home-schooling and you "home-school". Except you actually do unschooling. Then your parents sign a final high school transcript for you (that you put whatever shit you want to on) and you send it into a college and you get in based on SAT or ACT scores and the fact that you were "home-schooled" never hurts you in any way ever whatsoever.

If enough people stop going to public school, the gubment won't be able to justify pouring money into it. Hence, the system gets "fixed", i.e. eliminated.

If that's what you want to do, I'm just saying it's not a necessary action.

"Troll" is a common defense mechanism. If someone disagrees with you, the immediate reaction is "lol troll." You can't just jump to that conclusion because you want to be victimized, however.

07-17-2011 01:03 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:And ayliana that's because of your tits or whatever.

First interview was via telephone :troll:

Edit: lol talk about perfect timing. I posted my resume on careerbuilder.com last night at around midnight. I just checked my emails and I've already been sent a job opportunity for insuance management down in New Haven.

Me > college

:troll:
07-17-2011 01:53 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:And ayliana that's because of your tits or whatever.

First interview was via telephone :troll:

Edit: lol talk about perfect timing. I posted my resume on careerbuilder.com last night at around midnight. I just checked my emails and I've already been sent a job opportunity for insuance management down in New Haven.

Me > college
wanna fuck?
07-17-2011 03:11 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:\

I got a supply assistant job in dallas because my uncle worked there... I got a job at a walgreens warehouse because my dad was dating a lady who worked there and that was temporary. I got a
some temporary housing, roofing and construction work because of my dad. Everything else was just two shitty retail jobs on my own and the rest ranging from mowing lawns to babysitting.

Now I agree that it would be better to hire people you know but thing is in this system you gotta have a job to survive. Its not a negotiable fact.

Desert fox, Absent, Ayalina: :troll: :waah: Ranting

image hosting jpg
07-17-2011 03:52 AM
ErisQuodSum Offline
Revolutionary

This post is officially interesting.

07-17-2011 04:38 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:I don't know if i would trust a black man of HoS caliber to babysit. The awesomness always comes with a price. Always...

I usually take on a merc attitude when it comes to jobs and I don't like kids but I can tolerate em if it comes to pay. But seriously on every job I watch out when it comes to being around any kid as they can literally destroy your reputation.

image hosting jpg
07-17-2011 01:02 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

savagesociety Wrote:Jobs, and college, and school unless compulsory, is psuedo-security, so fucked up.

You don't know what you're talking about, all you do is get drunk on the street and hang out with homeless bums, stop pretending to know anything about the world.
07-17-2011 03:00 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

psychopath Wrote:
savagesociety Wrote:Jobs, and college, and school unless compulsory, is psuedo-security, so fucked up.

You don't know what you're talking about, all you do is get drunk on the street and hang out with homeless bums, stop pretending to know anything about the world.

You're right. Making any sort of intellectual observation of the monetary system, and government through school and reading is without a doubt unneccesassry. I might as well jsut sit back and watch MTV and say hey everything is great!

Why go to the library and read books about true historical facts to secure my beleifs?
Why listen to thought provoking music that stimulates me to research about the world and current problems?
Hey, why the fuck think. I don't know anything.

I might as well just go grab a Blast, and listen to KESHA!

The system isn't parasitic. Life is sweet, we go to school, go to work, retire, and die. Get fucked up on Fridays, and watch tv. We are free motherfuckers.
SO shut the fuck up with that everything sucks, I hate the world bullshit, and conform.

And you actually don't know what I do. I stopped getting drunk, I'm done.

07-18-2011 12:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get a job without a high-school diploma Eidolon 3 2,610 02-05-2015 11:06 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  College Porn? College Student? DUKE! brainiac3397 11 4,459 02-26-2014 01:33 PM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921
  I'm in college now. Shit, I am glad I'm done with public school. True Strasserist 8 2,771 10-07-2013 03:22 PM
Last Post: Miab419
  Going to high school in one year! Help! awesomedoers 11 3,083 03-04-2013 11:50 PM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921
  Teacher Leaves Wife, Kids for High School Student UnschoolShqiponjë 20 12,645 03-03-2012 04:30 AM
Last Post: Levio_Sah
  What should I expect on high school? Luizao876 14 5,477 11-29-2011 08:03 PM
Last Post: Efs
  I want to go to high school Faby 10 2,903 09-24-2011 06:41 AM
Last Post: Phrozen_Soul
  Florida High School Principal Lied About Hypnotizing Student thewake 5 2,837 07-01-2011 01:51 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  I'm going to miss high school Faby 21 11,925 05-24-2011 05:05 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  Last week of high school. KittyKatBlack 17 4,045 05-12-2010 06:26 PM
Last Post: AWOL