RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13-year old burps in class, goes to a juvenile detention center
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
13-year old burps in class, goes to a juvenile detention center

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/01...24180.html

Quote:ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 13-year-old was handcuffed and hauled off to a juvenile detention for burping in class, according to a lawsuit filed against an Albuquerque school principal, a teacher and school police officer.

The boy was transported without his parents being notified in May after he "burped audibly" in PE class and his teacher called a school resource officer to complain he was disrupting her class. The lawsuit also details a separate Nov. 8 incident when the same student was forced to strip down to his underwear while five adults watched as he was accused of selling pot to another student; the boy was never charged.

The suit was one of two filed Wednesday by civil rights attorney Shannon Kennedy, who says she has been fighting the district and police for years over the use of force with problem children. She says a review of school and Bernalillo County records shows more than 200 school kids have been handcuffed and arrested in the last three years for non-violent misdemeanors.

In the second lawsuit filed Wednesday, the parents of a 7-year-old boy with autism accuse a school officer of unlawful arrest for handcuffing the boy to a chair after he became agitated in class. New Mexico law prohibits officers and school officials from restraining children under 11.

The suits come one year after the same attorney settled a class action lawsuit against the district that was prompted by the arrest of a girl who Kennedy said "didn't want to sit by the stinky boy in class." And Kennedy says she has a number of other cases she is preparing over treatment of students in Albuquerque by school officials, school police, city police and sheriff's officers.

"I am trying to get all the stake holders in a room to get people properly trained to prevent this from happening," Kennedy said.

Kennedy said the problem lies with the schools more than with the law enforcement agencies.

"It lands in the lap of the principal. There are good schools and bad schools. The principals ... who are handling their schools properly don't need to have children arrested. It's ridiculous."

A spokesman for Albuquerque Public Schools did not immediately return calls and emails seeking comment on Thursday. A police spokeswoman said the department does not comment on litigation.

One school board member, Lorenzo Garcia, said he had not seen and could not comment on the lawsuits, but he did say he was concerned about what appeared to be schools getting stuck on a "zero tolerance policy."

"Really, in my opinion, this really increases the whole idea of the schools-to-prison pipeline," he said.

Fucking New Mexico.
12-05-2011 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)
RE: 13-year old burps in class, goes to a juvenile detention center

LOL AMERIKA!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-05-2011 06:33 PM
Lakeway Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Sounds like they just love that kid, though. First they stripped him down and secondly they wanted to see him in handcuffs.

With all your lies, you're still very lovable.
12-05-2011 08:00 PM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

That's horrendous. I have no words.

Do not let a moment go by that doesn't remind you that your heart beats 900 times a day and that there are enough gallons of blood to make you an ocean.
12-05-2011 10:00 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I have words, my kids won't be goin to school.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-06-2011 02:12 AM
 Thanks given by: Spades , Superkamiguru
Spiritus_Raptor Offline
Ever so slightly sadistic.

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

How is burping illegal? Exactly?

Nemo me impune nocet.
12-06-2011 02:51 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

*burp*

People's point of view: OMG ITS THE END OF THE FUCKIN WORLD NOOOOO HE'S THE DEVIL ARREST HIM!

My point of view: What?
12-06-2011 03:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

SRO FAil

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
12-06-2011 06:42 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

I hope somebody gets sued the crap out of their miserable lives there.
12-06-2011 07:05 AM
UltraRobot Offline
I need you to escape.

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I already knew most school officials are fucking retarded, but I never knew they could be THAT stupid.

[Image: gPE89.gif]

[Image: DeusExTestSign.jpg]

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein

"Within a few years a simple and inexpensive device, readily carried about, will enable one to receive on land or sea the principal news, to hear a speech, a lecture, a song or play of a musical instrument, conveyed from any other region of the globe." - Nikola Tesla
12-06-2011 12:18 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(12-06-2011 03:31 AM)Luizao876 Wrote:  *burp*

People's point of view: OMG ITS THE END OF THE FUCKIN WORLD NOOOOO HE'S THE DEVIL ARREST HIM!

My point of view: What?
My point of view: WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO I HATE HUMANS HOW THE FUCK COULD SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I'D LIKE TO FUCKING STRANGLE AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THE PE TEACHER TO DEATH

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-06-2011 12:22 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Another day in the banana republic police state of America.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-08-2011 06:57 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Teacher should be fired and not allowed to work in education, police officers should be given a month unpaid suspension.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
12-08-2011 02:52 PM
xydougie Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

w.o.w

if i was the parent i'd raise hell
12-09-2011 09:17 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Likewise.

Previously known as Derchin.
12-09-2011 09:31 AM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Natural noises of the human body are now a reason to get sent to prison? I can only say one thing: LOL!
12-13-2011 02:36 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

I feel like sending that teacher to one of those places for breathing air, and I bet then I'd be seen as Hitler by the world, never mind that 13 year old who can apparently help burping to such an extent that if he burps he is doing it to deliberately cause World War III...
12-15-2011 08:59 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

*cries*
That's it. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!! GO, SMALL AUTISTIC CHILD, DEFEND YOUR RIGHTS!!! THE WEIGHT OF THE INTERNET IS BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!!!

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
12-15-2011 01:23 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Old news: 51 year old marries 16 year old in Las Vegas. FarBeyondDriven 16 11,813 06-05-2012 04:47 AM
Last Post: FarBeyondDriven
  Tell the Senate: Pass Juvenile Justice Reform Now! Reptorian 4 2,700 01-14-2010 09:30 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Juvenile detention camps LOON_ATTIC 16 3,361 01-03-2010 06:57 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd