RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another teacher tries to force poa...
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

This has all been said before by others... I know.

At least one teacher every year (and some students) since I've stopped doing the pledge of allegiance has tried to tell me that I'm required to do the pledge, despite it not actually being required.

And then either one of two things happen. They drop it, or they go to the principal to complain, where he promptly tells them that I don't have to do it.

Why. Do they not understand the rules of the place that they work at, or are they simply lying to me in hopes that I'll be intimidated and do it?

This happened today. When I told my teacher that I don't have to do it if I don't want to, and that I'm sick of people nagging me about it, she acted like I overreacted or something. Was I angry? Yes, a bit, because I don't exactly relish being told that I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. But I didn't yell at her or anything... telling me to take a deep breath and calm down was unnecessary.

What I also don't understand is why she brought it up now, three months into the school year. I kind of feel like this was not even about the pledge, but an excuse for her to scold me.
11-07-2014 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: another teacher tries to force poa...

Intimidate. People are stupid and seem to think they are following the rules despite the fact the rule isnt an actual rule.

You can pledge allegiance to my future regime.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the Universal Dominion of Brain, and to the dictatorship for which it stands, one man rules it all, eternal, with discipline and suffering for all."

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-07-2014 07:21 AM
 Thanks given by: MrAnonymous
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

For what it's worth, I'm proud of you Dead. Even if all the kids in your class say it day after day you're putting that seed of truth in their heads every time you refuse: That it's a stupid tradition. The Flag is a piece of cloth with no awareness of people's so-called "allegiance". It makes more sense to pledge allegiance to a cockroach. At least a roach is a living thing that might have something in some small way resembling awareness and sentience. People have been pledging their allegiance to The Flag by the tens of millions everyday for decades and not one flag has given us a single command in all that time. Take a hint people, The Flag doesn't care.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
11-07-2014 10:10 AM
 Thanks given by: Dead , no
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Pledge to Bush Jr.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-07-2014 10:17 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

He's smart!!!

Captain Beefheart
11-07-2014 10:33 AM
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

To be honest, the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional. The school forces you to recite the pledge with "under God," which violates the Amendment I. Amendment I separates the church from the state. By forcing people to recite something with a religious phrase, you make people conform to your religion—note there are atheist kids and kids of other religions who attend the schools.

The thing is, though, the phrase "under God" was never always there. The first Pledge of Allegiance was, "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Dwight D. Eisenhower, however, decided to ask Congress to add "under God."

Do I think the P of A is appropriate? No. It doesn't separate church from state. Do I think that it should not be enforced? Definitely!

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
11-07-2014 01:29 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , The man
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Actually the 'Under God' Section is a remnant of McCarthyism and the 'Red Scare' in which it was added to separate the US from the Soviets/Communists.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-07-2014 01:33 PM
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

Ah yes, I should have added that it was due to the fear of Communism. Razz But anyway, if his teacher is doing that, can't (s)he lose her job for that?

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 02:11 PM by MrAnonymous.)
11-07-2014 02:08 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

It's possible.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-07-2014 02:11 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Very very very unlikely.

Captain Beefheart
11-07-2014 02:43 PM
Mo the jo Offline
fighting the war

Given 63 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

I have outright stopped participating. What's the point in pledging to a piece of cloth? None. The flag doesn't care. It's not living.
11-07-2014 03:13 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

Also, how does forcing someone to say something make it true?

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
11-07-2014 09:21 PM
 Thanks given by: MrAnonymous , Avatar Korra , The man

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are you going to force your kids to go to school? UnschoolShqiponjë 50 16,314 01-08-2017 04:59 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  TX HB 868 An educator is justified in using force or deadly force ... vonunov 3 2,607 02-03-2015 07:56 AM
Last Post: Missile
  21 Classes We Wish We Could Force People to Take Miller0700 6 4,123 01-29-2013 01:52 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Don't force your sick kids to school! Dirtbikemike 10 14,192 01-22-2013 02:35 AM
Last Post: EntityCubed
  Teachers making examples out of newly recruited brainwashees or veterans of the force Dirtbikemike 9 3,381 01-19-2012 03:18 PM
Last Post: gore goroth