RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

(10-01-2014 02:34 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  Compulsory schooling is a complete failure and needs to be abolished. In America, the real number one reason compulsory schooling is unlikely to die in our lifetimes is because tens of millions of people have come to expect and demand free daycare from the government. American public schools aren't institutions of education; they're gigantic babysitting factories. No child should be forced to go to school and the public should not be forced to fund daycare factories disguised as schools. In my opinion, not only should compulsory schooling be abolished but public school in general also needs to be abolished.

I would also like to add, and it surprises me this has been controversial even here, that while students should not be forced to go to school, it is also true, that while schools do exist, educators, and I do use that word loosely, should also have the choice not to have to babysit chronically hostile and disruptive students who take a bad situation and make it much worse for everyone involved. If you are really anti-school you should be pro suspension and expulsion. Everyday out of public school is better for everyone except for the parent who depends on free daycare.
I'm surprised you think that! And you're a teacher yourself, correct? o.O

I do at least think that compulsory schooling should be abolished, but the public system in totality? I just want to avoid being viewed as those right-wing Christan extremists. There is some proof that the public school system has helped others, and I personally know of some students who like school—and think others need to go as well, sadly—so I don't think we may need to totally abolish the system, but it certainly is in need of major reforms.

I do very much so agree on that assessment of schools being huge daycare centers, too. I think this requires a different discussion, but I do mainly think this has happened because of most parents holding 9 to 5 jobs, and during that time they want their kids being somewhere either than home (possibly instead of having "fun"). This is possibly something these parents experienced themselves when they were kids. Anyone else care to add-on to here?

Personally I feel indifferent about public schools being abolished—I wouldn't mind whether or not it was abolished—but I certainly do think they're in need of major reforms.

As for your last point, the only thing I would think is controversial on SS is this. There's some who want to be more "legitimate" and try to reach out to groups like Student Voice, which don't exactly focus on compulsory schooling, rather, issues students have with school outside of compulsory schooling. And then there's others who'd rather focus on SS and focus towards an official movement to end compulsory schooling itself.

I wouldn't mind trying to work alongside groups like Student Voice if they'd be able to endorse our movement, though. In the end all that matters is that we have people and communities who want to stand alongside SS and end compulsory schooling. That is all I, and many other School Survivalists, ask for. Smile

Lastly, I wouldn't be total pro-suspension. IDK how it works like where you live, but where I live there also exists IN-school suspension, so maybe pro-out-of-school-suspension. Wink

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 05:37 PM by GamerGurl.)
10-05-2014 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling - GamerGurl - 10-05-2014 08:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Official School Survival Book? James Comey 53 20,964 04-14-2017 03:57 AM
Last Post: James Comey
Rainbow Bill introduced to abolish the Department of Education! Zeta 44 17,298 02-17-2017 03:44 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  School Survival mentioned by a youtuber MurkScribe 10 6,185 01-15-2017 12:54 AM
Last Post: vonunov
  How to promote School Survival at School? HSHARK 5 3,529 08-03-2016 01:18 PM
Last Post: HSHARK
  School Survival Pledge HSHARK 12 7,215 08-03-2016 12:44 PM
Last Post: Ky
Rainbow My school survival story autisticdragonkin 3 3,199 04-18-2016 09:28 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  video- Compulsory Schooling Must Be Abolished - Cevin Soling stevehein 0 1,955 04-11-2016 09:00 AM
Last Post: stevehein
  Research project - school survival kit robotjox 22 11,008 02-22-2016 09:14 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  my school is about to shut down school survival awesomejuan36912 8 9,726 01-13-2016 02:18 AM
Last Post: Azine
  Compulsory schooling and Conscription: Modern day slavery ComradeDaryl 21 11,855 11-13-2015 07:11 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397