RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parenting Guide: How to deal with bad grades. by crazyguy562's parents
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Take Away

Take away. Take away what your child likes or finds precious. If they want it back they'll have to shape up. The best thing to take away is the password to their account on the computer so they'll have to ask you to use the computer. Remember to check on them ever so often to make sure what their doing is school-related. Also no headphones, you must hear what they are listening to.

Rant

Another method is ranting and yelling at them. You have to get it through their thick skull how important there grades are. Getting good grades is the only way to succeed in life. The reason you must rant is because if you talk normally your kids will get the idea that they are at the same level as you! You must use your power to show you are far more superior than them. Remember your the parent and their the child.

Be Nosey
Your kids, no matter what, are sneaky. You must be as nosey as possible and really just get into their business. You can never ever let your kids have privacy. Even in the bathroom, you never know if your child stole their ds back and are playing on it in the bathroom. Lock your bedroom doors so your kids can't steal from you. If you give your kids privacy they'll abuse it and do bad stuff including getting terrible grades. Don't give your kids too much trust all kids have a nasty habit of lying. To check your child's grades use reliable sites like schoolloop. And if you see bad grades don't let your child get away, threaten them!

pg.1

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 11:40 AM by craxyguy562.)
05-16-2014 03:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: mpoole , Zo , HawkbitAlpha , LadyKira , xcriteria , rockstarjim22 , c00ldud3 , Dikont5
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Thanks for posting this. I think you're into something.

Here's an idea for another part:

What do parents do when they aren't ranting, being nosey, or punishing?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
05-16-2014 05:42 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Interesting, also I edited it for some Grammar mistakes.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-16-2014 06:36 AM
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

RE: Parenting Guide: How to deal with bad grades. by crazyguy562's parents

(05-16-2014 05:42 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  Thanks for posting this. I think you're into something.

Here's an idea for another part:

What do parents do when they aren't ranting, being nosey, or punishing?

When their not being parents they are normal. I like them better as normal because when their normal I have casual conversations with them and stuff and I actually enjoy being around them but when they go back to being parents...

Hidden stuff:

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
05-16-2014 08:24 AM
Jacob Offline
Rebel

Given 15 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Are you sure this isn't published somewhere else and my parents have a copy? Seriously

"You don't have to be smart to be a smartass. But it helps."
05-16-2014 01:03 PM
 Thanks given by: LadyKira , c00ldud3 , lisafromjackson
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Maybe they published this behind my back...

Hidden stuff:

05-18-2014 03:21 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(05-16-2014 08:24 AM)crazyguy562 Wrote:  When their not being parents they are normal. I like them better as normal because when their normal I have casual conversations with them and stuff and I actually enjoy being around them but when they go back to being parents...

That's good to hear. I think that provides some hope for dealing with the parenting side of things.

What were their parents like?

And what do they think about their experience growing up?

If you learn more about that, it can help you understand your parents better... and maybe if you understand them better, you can help them get their underlying needs met in less-intrusive ways. (Like, feeling like a good parent, or feeling secure about your future, or just feeling good about what you're doing, for reasons other than school.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
05-18-2014 03:28 AM
c00ldud3 Offline
King Of Fools

Given 34 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Was this actually written by your parents? O.o

12-31-2014 02:22 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

1st one doesnt work on zen masters, like me, who can comfortably detach from a materialistic existence.
2nd doesnt work on me because I like to return fire, thus it will solve nothing and create a war.
3rd doesnt work because Im a ninja spy and master of secrecy.

Foolish parents underestimate the consequences of their actions. Humans adapt, and kids are pretty damn good at it. Most can find ways to defeat any obstacle.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
12-31-2014 03:02 PM
 Thanks given by: mpoole
somethingwicked Offline
Crayon Melter

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

(12-31-2014 03:02 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  1st one doesnt work on zen masters, like me, who can comfortably detach from a materialistic existence.
2nd doesnt work on me because I like to return fire, thus it will solve nothing and create a war.
3rd doesnt work because Im a ninja spy and master of secrecy.

Foolish parents underestimate the consequences of their actions. Humans adapt, and kids are pretty damn good at it. Most can find ways to defeat any obstacle.

While it is true that we're smart enough to counter our parents and motivated enough to have the advantage of adrenaline, the ones who hold all the rights and documents are the adults. The best way to beat them at their own game is to take a subtler approach: focus on improving your grades at first, to make them believe they have won. Slowly edge back into your normal habits, but do it as quietly and unsuspiciously as possible. Learn on the side and acquire skills to get to college/a job while leaving out articles about grades/parenting and approaching to people who will talk to them. If all else fails, get emancipated as soon as you can, and they won't be able to doing anything about it as long as you've found a way to provide for yourself. I know it's not always this easy, but if you really try you will likely be able to free yourself.
01-08-2015 10:56 AM
 Thanks given by: mpoole
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Become adult then when you graduate and they happy, you grab car keys and go "haha suck it you fools!" and hit the highway. Then call em after driving a few blocks away and say your on your way to the great beaches if Cali to become a hedonistic playboy drug addict party maniac and they can go screw themselves for being a-holes.

Then go to a movie or something and kill time content at their suffering. Proceed to arrive dead of night and knock door hard like your a cop. When they open door with terror...begin to laugh and point out how weak they are when they were tough with you.

Proceed to enjoy a year in mental hospital.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
01-09-2015 04:17 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

Has my flathead screwdriver trick worked on the doors at your house?

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
01-09-2015 09:40 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Flathead? Mang use some nitroglycerin!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
01-09-2015 03:46 PM
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

(01-09-2015 09:40 AM)Missile Wrote:  Has my flathead screwdriver trick worked on the doors at your house?

No. Razz

Hidden stuff:

01-12-2015 02:38 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

It works for the locks at my house though

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
01-12-2015 10:45 PM
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Parenting Guide: How to deal with bad grades.

Most parents do not have a clue that school screws them up in so many ways. Years after they are out of school, they act as unpaid agents of this oppressive regime.

Most parents do not understand the world in which they live and try to do the best they can. They see school as the only way to "succeed" in life and want their children to do well. When things do not go "well" they are at a loss to understand and seek to use whatever tactics they can think of to make things be "well".

If a parent were to respond to a "bad grade" event analytically, they would have to consider the theoretical possibility that there is something wrong with the entire school system. Also to be considered;

1. A bad teacher.
2. Some conflict in the class.
3. A disinterest in the subject.
4. A lack of ability in the subject.
5. Some larger issue that overshadows the subject.
6. Some idiosyncratic grading system that produces erratic results.
7. Personal bias on the part of the teacher.

We live in an increasingly collectivized society. This means that most people need to have been indoctrinated with shared values. In tribal times these values were shared family values. Today the values we have come from television.

One of the social precepts that is accepted without question is that "you have to go to college". There are 80,000 full time bartenders with four year college degrees. I imagine that many of them would now like to have the money they spent rather than the degree.

Many parents see getting good grades as necessary for getting into college. They have bought into this value system and in a sort of knee-jerk way and they punish their own children for failing to meet these expectations. This leaves the child in a difficult position. They start to see their own parents as hostile robots.

Parents can sometimes be in much more hell than their kids. They can be wishing for divorce, hating their jobs, on the brink of suicide and completely clueless why their lives have become so miserable. They have followed the indoctrination that they were given in school and do not understand why their lives are so miserable.

They may come to understand that school and job are important to others who want to use you. Relationships and family are what is really important. School provides an environment were you can be bullied, used, humiliated, and corrupted. However, school has no use in you learning how to have healthy relationships.

School has no interest in your happiness or family. School wants you to be a good "worker bee". Often a good home life makes you less valuable to those who would prefer you to work more.

The child that is punished for bad grades may not need as much help as the parent who is doing the punishing. The parent who drives a wedge in the relationship with his own child may discover that in his old age, no one is interested in visiting or even calling him. At that point he may discover that the social value system he was fed from TV was not only wrong but has destroyed his life.
01-13-2015 12:21 AM
 Thanks given by: Missile , no , c00ldud3 , craxyguy562 , Dikont5
c00ldud3 Offline
King Of Fools

Given 34 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

(01-13-2015 12:21 AM)timf Wrote:  School has no interest in your happiness or family. School wants you to be a good "worker bee". Often a good home life makes you less valuable to those who would prefer you to work more.

Perfect Analogy.

01-13-2015 07:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  College-age depression is increasingly associated with helicopter parenting xcriteria 4 2,957 07-09-2015 06:29 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  What should I do to try and convince my parents out of punishment for bad grades? c00ldud3 8 2,594 12-12-2014 07:37 AM
Last Post: c00ldud3
  highschool websites that constantly email parents your grades chained to desk 16 6,797 02-02-2014 11:16 AM
Last Post: TheCancer
  writing about teaching, parenting stevehein 1 1,920 06-30-2013 07:43 AM
Last Post: no
  Going to Yahoo!Answers for parenting advice. UnschoolShqiponjë 11 5,734 04-15-2012 01:44 PM
Last Post: batboy138