RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics card fucked?
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)
Graphics card fucked?

nvm everything works
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 08:33 AM by aaaaaaasd.)
12-26-2011 12:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)
RE: Graphics card fucked?

I've got the 5770 and that plays every game on max graphics. So 6770 must be good.
Problem could be:
-Faulty monitor or graphics card.
-Not enough power supply.
-Somehow install drivers ?
-Corrupt BIOS (boot in safe mode)
-Corrupt OS (probably not)
-Bad Hard drive (probably not)
-Motherboard problems or parts not installed properly.

I probably didn't help much. I'm sorry, but hope all goes well. NOTHING appears on the screen at all? Not one single thing? Does the PC shutdown, reboot, or stay on but just screen stays off?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-26-2011 01:00 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

(12-26-2011 01:00 AM)Efs Wrote:  I've got the 5770 and that plays every game on max graphics. So 6770 must be good.
Problem could be:

I probably didn't help much. I'm sorry, but hope all goes well. NOTHING appears on the screen at all? Not one single thing? Does the PC shutdown, reboot, or stay on but just screen stays off?
The monitor works fine with the integrated and I got a new PSU for Christmas too, 700W so power shouldn't be a problem. Everything works fine, even with integrated, until I install the card.
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_S.../#overview
for reference

I'm installing the drivers for it now under the vague hope it'll work when I put it back in for the 7th time, should I do the CMOS battery reset thing?

update: I'm updating my BIOS, quite stupid really I didn't think of that before and it's the probably the reason it doesn't work (the card is PCI-E 2.1 but the mobo is 2.0 but apparently they are backwards compatible so yeah) hopefully this will fix the proablem
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 01:15 AM by aaaaaaasd.)
12-26-2011 01:06 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(12-26-2011 01:06 AM)BaronVonStrangle Wrote:  
(12-26-2011 01:00 AM)Efs Wrote:  I've got the 5770 and that plays every game on max graphics. So 6770 must be good.
Problem could be:

The monitor works fine with the integrated and I got a new PSU for Christmas too, 700W so power shouldn't be a problem. Everything works fine, even with integrated, until I install the card.
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_S.../#overview
for reference

I'm installing the drivers for it now under the vague hope it'll work when I put it back in for the 7th time, should I do the CMOS battery reset thing?

Ahhh maybe wait for another member's opinion. Try it if you want, maybe try the GPU on another compatible PC? It could be faulty.
Good luck.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-26-2011 01:15 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Since I am in a thread about Christmas graphics card rants, let me just say that... MY FUCKING 300$ GRAPHICS CARD IS TOO BIG TO FIT IN THE COMPUTER!!!!![Image: indoctrination_outrage_theater_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg]
The power supply is too big too and I had to move the CD drive forward and make it stick out so it can barely fit. I just know I am going to outrage at bestbuy tommorow, since they were sure everything would fit.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
12-26-2011 07:33 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

would it ruin your day even more to announce that now everything works just fine?
12-26-2011 08:34 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Baron, how big is your PC tower thingy? I only got a 530W power supply and I could barely fit the damn thing in.

12-26-2011 10:13 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(12-26-2011 10:13 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  Baron, how big is your PC tower thingy? I only got a 530W power supply and I could barely fit the damn thing in.

buy a megaATX case

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-26-2011 10:35 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

it's a mid tower but it fits my rather long GFXcard in fine

you running some kind of quantum computing operation son?
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 10:06 PM by aaaaaaasd.)
12-26-2011 10:06 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

UPDATE: So I took the computer box back to best buy and it is a smaller computer tower. Shit isn't going to fit so I got my money back. I'm still going to keep the graphics card and power supply and just go to a computer shop and have them build me a custom computer for cheaper since I still have the graphics card and power supply.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2011 09:26 AM by gore goroth.)
12-27-2011 09:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Formatting a camera memory card youvebeenthunderstruck 5 1,035 12-09-2007 02:24 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser