RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARGH!!
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Night. Gotta go watch The Daily Show.

I got nothin'.
09-28-2006 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mom Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

This may help, it's from WA state's Dept. of Ed.
As you can see it says "one or more of the following".
Obviously school is creating the "personal problem" referred to in #1.
Don't give up!

WAC 180-96-045
Substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school education program — Definition.
As used in this chapter, the term "substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school education program" means one or more of the following:

(1) Personal problems which seriously impair the student's ability to make reasonable progress toward high school graduation.

(2) A financial crisis which directly affects the student and necessitates the student's employment during school hours.

(3) The lack of curriculum and instruction which constitutes appropriate learning experiences for the student.

(4) The inability or failure of the school of attendance to adjust its program for the individual or otherwise make arrangements for enrollment in an educational program in a manner which enables the student to advance toward graduation with reasonable progress and success.

(5) A determination by the designated employee that it is in the "best interest" of the student to drop the regular high school program for one of the following purposes:

(a) Enter a postsecondary institution.

(b) Enter the military.

© Engage in employment.

(6) Provided, That no person under eighteen years of age (i.e., minor), shall be adjudged to have a substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school education program unless the minor's parents, guardian, or legal custodian, if available, agrees that dropping school is in the best interest of the minor.
09-28-2006 10:52 PM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Thanks again Mom, but you see, I already sent an email to the guy I spoke with, showing him that, giving him alink to the site, and giving him 3 reasons off that list. I don't know what his problem is, but he hasnt replied any of my email, AND he NEVER answers his phone, but I know he's there because today they signed me up for ISS (in school suspension) and I told them I wanna get my GED, and they didnt even notice I said that I guess, they (some counselers and the vice principal) just started talking about putting me in some alternative school....I don't want that I want my GED!!! and no matter what I say they just throw it out the window! They don't even listen to my mom, which she's on my side again since I told her why I was ditching, and she says she thinks a GED is best for me...but I dunno they just seem to ignore whatever my mom and I say...what can I do about this? I mean, I can;t just refuse to go to school can I, until they let me get my GED?

[Image: animegirldance.gif][Image: Bush.gif][Image: rimmerhammersmall9vv9rc.gif]
09-29-2006 03:16 AM
Mom Offline
Renegade

Mikemaladar Wrote:Thanks again Mom, but you see, I already sent an email to the guy I spoke with, showing him that, giving him alink to the site, and giving him 3 reasons off that list. I don't know what his problem is, but he hasnt replied any of my email, AND he NEVER answers his phone, but I know he's there because today they signed me up for ISS (in school suspension) and I told them I wanna get my GED, and they didnt even notice I said that I guess, they (some counselers and the vice principal) just started talking about putting me in some alternative school....I don't want that I want my GED!!! and no matter what I say they just throw it out the window! They don't even listen to my mom, which she's on my side again since I told her why I was ditching, and she says she thinks a GED is best for me...but I dunno they just seem to ignore whatever my mom and I say...what can I do about this? I mean, I can;t just refuse to go to school can I, until they let me get my GED?

Your mom has to MAKE them listen (she should also send e-mail after e-mail after e-mail and keep them for evidence) If they don't respond to her e-mails they're making a grave mistake and they'd know that. She might want to mention to them that she is contemplating seeking legal representation if you both are continually ignored.
If your mom willingly lets you ditch school they'll try to get her for truancy laws. Yet if she doesn't willingly let you ditch but you do well that's something completely different.
If they continue to ignore move up to next in charge, the district superintendent, if he/she doesn't listen keep moving up.
They're trying to bully. If your mom will, have her use that exact phrase "seems to me that you're (referring to them) using bullying tactics or something to that effect.

As far as an alternative school what do they mean? If it's like here in my town ,it's a small building across the street from the regular school that they call the "rubber room". They put kids there for supposed "behavior" problems, but they're students who won't bow down to their garbage. The school is using both the students and parents of students attending there because the students are being warehoused so that the school can continue to get their $$$$ for those students.
09-29-2006 07:20 AM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, Mom. I agree with this. In addition to the money they receive per-pupil, there is also the growing concern with "retention." This means, more or less, if they fail to keep a kid in school until graduation, it is seen as a failure. Be careful that they do not shuffle you off to the school psychologist. This may be a ploy to get you classified in such a way as they do not count you with the rest of the "normal" students at testing time. Further, this classifcation is one that can stay with you if you ever want to get into certain areas of work, or if you go on to college. In any case, you may want to see about putting your mom in touch with Mom, if they are both willing. It would probably be a productive little chat.

I got nothin'.
09-29-2006 07:46 AM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

Well first, my mom isnt sending the email, I am, my mom says I have to contact him to prove I'm capable and mature enough or whatever, and all my mom says about him not replying is that he has every right to not reply if he doesnt want me to get my GED. and Mom, my town is small also and we have a "flunky" school and we call, that is just like yours. and I dont think my mom would really try THAT hard to do it, she is kinda on their side but mine at the same time ya know. and what would happen if i ditched, and my mom approved, but said she didnt? would that be ok or what, cuz the school says all the alternatuive programs (including GED classes) are completely full, and backed up on que...

[Image: animegirldance.gif][Image: Bush.gif][Image: rimmerhammersmall9vv9rc.gif]
09-29-2006 09:02 AM
Mom Offline
Renegade

I think it's great that you're sending the e-mails because ,yes, it does show through that action that you are taking an active role in deciding about your education. But an e-mail or e-mails from your mom containing a statement and reasons why she also sees that this decision is in your best interest (#6 on the list) could be the clincher for you.

In reference to him not replying ,has he already given you the documentation that says he has determined or recommends that you continue? If not, or even if he has, he has an obligation as a counselor to reply to a student's needs and/or requests, that's his job regardless if he likes what you have to say or not.

Also if he has made his "recommendation" or "determined" that you should continue in school you need to find out about an appeal process.
09-29-2006 11:55 AM
Mom Offline
Renegade

Doc Johnson Wrote:Yeah, Mom. I agree with this. In addition to the money they receive per-pupil, there is also the growing concern with "retention." This means, more or less, if they fail to keep a kid in school until graduation, it is seen as a failure. Be careful that they do not shuffle you off to the school psychologist. This may be a ploy to get you classified in such a way as they do not count you with the rest of the "normal" students at testing time. Further, this classifcation is one that can stay with you if you ever want to get into certain areas of work, or if you go on to college. In any case, you may want to see about putting your mom in touch with Mom, if they are both willing. It would probably be a productive little chat.

Yes, definitely be careful about the school psychologists, not only will they label you, but gladly do so so that they can get even more money than through regular ed.

I am more than willing to chat with your mom if that will help.
09-29-2006 12:02 PM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

He hasnt given me ANY form of anything lol....hge just said try school for awhile longer to see how it goes, and i told him right then and there that i would feel the exact same way, but he kept "pressuring" me, so i finaly said ok ok, and ill ask my mom to send an email herself, but i already imagine her telling me, "the school says that ALL the alternatives are full, so theres no use"....and i have a feeling that the school will keep saying that....but...how can the GED thing be full? i mean all you do is go take a test, correct? with a little studying, of course, but a friend of mine who got his GED (in orgegon) said its pth/10th grade material, which i know well enough. heck, ill even look to take one of those practice tests online, Biggrin ...oh and also my counsler at school said i HAD to take some college classes to get my GED, and i asked him if i couldnt just take the test, and he seemed to hesitate, then said no.

and thank much on the offer to talk to my mom Smile
but i already can imagine her freaking out saying this website brainwashed me into wanting to get my GED and stuff, even though ive wanted MONTHS before i found this site, and she will probly also not approve of me talking with some woman over the internet, and me calling her "Mom" Razz

hmm let see what else................cant think of nothing else, ive pretty much covered everything, im just glad my mom and the school themselves think i should go do an alternative school, although im still gonna reach for the GED, my mom even has many jobs waiting for me, since she works managing apartments and real estate, so then ill be able to work and get a computer that pwnz j00 all!! Evil

oh, and another thing that makes me really angry is that all the people at school keep saying by getting my GED ill be NOTHING in life, ill have a dead-end job, and that a GED is worth nothing....which i know not to be true since 2 of my brothers in my family got their GED, and some of my friends....only difference is my brothers got theirs in denver, and they BOTH have wife and kids, the only thing that fucked up everything for me was that god damned counsler, i could have starting working on it until he told me to wait, that bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! Ranting Grindteeth

one last thing, i promise!! Smile

i have all F's in school right now, not because im stupid, but because i dont want to waste my time with homework and stuff, well F's in all besides computer tech, and computer apps, the ONLY classes ive EVER been interested in. well anyways, shouldnt they be able to see im not gonna make it? ive even told them "you guys know im not gonna try at all right?" but as always, it seemed to fly over their heads....anyways, just wanted to tell someone.

END

09-29-2006 12:45 PM
Mom Offline
Renegade

Tell the counselor you wish to take the next round of GED. Often they have the tests/classes scheduled every 8-12 weeks (they do here). Then at least there's an end in sight for you.

You need not take college classes to get your GED. That's ludicrous.

Yeah, I can understand that your mom may not approve of you talking with someone called Mom. Totally understandable.

Great! about the jobs if that's what you're interested in, go for it.

My eldest daughter was homeschooled her last year of high school and got her GED. By no means is she "nothing". She's one of the brightest individuals I know.

Grades aren't a reflection of your ability(ies) or intelligence. I don't believe in them at all. They're not true indicators. They do great harm. But that's another post.

Do what's best for you. Continue to take control of your education, your life!!!
09-29-2006 10:52 PM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

yeah same with tests/classes scheduled here also, but if i already know the material, i can just go take the test, thats what the some lady said when i went to the college to get info, she gave me a list of dates to take the test, but she suggested i take classes if i dont know the material. but she also said i had to talk to Jeff Weeks at Paine campus to get "approved" to see if i know what im getting myself into (GED are bads things in their eyes i guess) and mature enough, which...i guess he didnt think i was mature enough Wtf

09-30-2006 12:22 AM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

so im just gonna get ISS over with today, and talk it over with my mom again....but i dont know if i can do anything about it if Jeff Weeks simply says no...

09-30-2006 12:24 AM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Dude, BTW what show does that "Fuck Yeah" think in your sig come from. It's hilarious, though somehow I suspect that's not quite what she's saying. Sure looks like it though.

I got nothin'.
09-30-2006 12:30 AM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

i have nooo clue Fu

but its obviously a little kids show (shes not really saying that), i remember watching it with my nephew awhile ago, i cant remember if its in nickolodean (misspell), or some little kids channel, but i dont remember what its called sorry None

* i havnt made any type of sig ever, so most of 'em i might not have any clue about, but just likes the way it looks ^_^, i REALLY wanna learn though, i just have no clue where to start *

09-30-2006 12:47 AM
Midnight Narwhal Offline
Revolutionary

oh, and feel free to use it as your own, ill put up some more cool ones later, i have a quite a few.

09-30-2006 12:48 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Mikemaladar Wrote:i guess if my mom cant force me to go to school the government will take me away and put me either in juvi or a foster home....or so thats what they tell me

They're not going to throw you into foster care over truancy. If its bad enough, or if someone bitches enough, they might throw you into juvy.

Just go to school. There is no law on the books that says that you have to do your homework, pay attention or actually pass. It's obvious that you don't want to go, nor do you want to graduate. Just go and enjoy yourself the best you can. Maybe try to find a couple classes that interest you and take those. Join a club or something to give you reason to go. Because it's evident that they're not going to give up trying until you show them you don't care anymore.

And whoever the hell told you that you need college classes to take the GED is a giant douche (and you can tell him I said that too Biggrin ) The GED is a highschool equivelency, it has nothing to do with college. However some states require that you take a review course or wait a period of time after officially droping out of school, usually six months.
10-03-2006 03:02 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Have you read this?
10-03-2006 08:03 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

To lazy to read, please sumarize. Biggrin