RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tired Of High School.
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Tired Of High School.

Well I'm in my Senior Year and failed most of my classes. I do all the work I literally can, but because of the stupid Cahsee math section I have to pass to graduate,(which I still haven't passed), I'm being pulled from my classes force to take a Cahsee prep class throughout the whole week for at least 4 hours and thats really making my absences look ugly since I've been sick I missed
another week.

I only have 1 more month left until this school semester is over and I don't know how I'm going to pull this shit off with the Cahsee, recommendation letters, senior portfolios and some other bullshit that I don't even know what the fuck the school is talking about.

I REALLY feel like I wish someone would set fire to this school, because I've been nothing but deeply stressed out, its like no matter what I do, I'm not getting cut for it and if I have to do another year of high school, I'm going to freak.

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
05-01-2008 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Re: Tired Of High School.

Good luck. Hug

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
05-01-2008 08:21 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

What is this "Cahsee" thing?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-02-2008 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slick Offline
Shattered

SoulRiser Wrote:What is this "Cahsee" thing?

Cahsee which is :California High School Exit Exam. Its a stupid
test that we have to take to earn our high school diploma, and we can't graduate until we pass it. Its a REALLY hard test, well except
for the English part since I passed that. But I had no luck with the math section.

Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test
and decided to just go and take college classes instead.

05-02-2008 09:26 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test

What's the point of taking the Cahsee test at all if you can get into college without it?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-02-2008 09:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slick Offline
Shattered

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test

What's the point of taking the Cahsee test at all if you can get into college without it?

idk, As far as I know, college never see those scores. They're just a way of making sure your school is teaching what it should be.

But all I know is that, you can't get a diploma without passing the
test.

05-02-2008 11:26 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Then... how do all those who don't take it get into college?

I mean, there's the GED, early entrance programs, etc., but half?
05-02-2008 11:38 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Hidden stuff:
05-02-2008 01:52 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

If you do end up not graduating, you could get a GED, though that is another test... or maybe there'd be another way to get around having to do a whole additional year.

According to this article about the Cahsee, Currently, 91.4 percent of the class of 2007 has passed the exam, slightly more than 2 percentage points higher than the class of 2006 at the same point in time.
That doesn't sound like it's forcing half of students to drop out... How far is your math score below what it needs to be? I know school puts a lot of pressure on seniors, especially with this high-stakes testing stuff. Maybe part of your difficulty is caused by the stress itself?

It is kinda weird that you've been pulled from your regular classes to take a prep course, especially if it's causing you to fail them. By recommendation letters and senior portfolio, you mean college admissions stuff? One option is to start at a community college rather than stressing about getting into a selective school.
05-02-2008 08:43 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Welcome to America! Every state has one of those tests. It's a way for lawmakers and educators to 'prove' that their schools don't suck and that thier students are educated. The only problem is that the bar is set so low on those tests that any one with a seventh grade education level can pass them. (The fact that half the students can't pass them pisses me off to no end.) They don't do anything to ensure educational quality. All they do is push out the bottom performing students and take time away from the little real learning that goes on in school. (sorry slick :( )
05-03-2008 03:28 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Welcome to America! Every state has one of those tests. It's a way for lawmakers and educators to 'prove' that their schools don't suck and that thier students are educated. The only problem is that the bar is set so low on those tests that any one with a seventh grade education level can pass them. (The fact that half the students can't pass them pisses me off to no end.) They don't do anything to ensure educational quality. All they do is push out the bottom performing students and take time away from the little real learning that goes on in school. (sorry slick :( )
Ding ding ding! That is the reason I dropped out of uni (TAFE).

Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion).
instead of what they were teaching last year, which was C. This is because students were struggling with C. So very sad they ruined their course. Not to mention it's the reason there are so many programmers in Australia. Most of them must suck at programming hard if the courses are this easy.

P.S. Because I'll feel bad if I don't. :]
@op: You know you can just drop out if school is bothering you so much. Get a job. Sure it might be hard (according to a diff thread) to get a job, but it's better then the crap school is. Then learn to make passive income or get into stocks(requires good logical ability), and ding ding ding. You can live with very little work, doing w/e you want where you want. No need to go to school at all.

I mean, with stocks, you can work for 2.5k an hour...Only need 100k to start off with... :(

Edit: Fix'd link.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
05-03-2008 03:37 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion)..

Wow, at first I read that as VD. Funniest shit ever.
05-03-2008 05:44 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:
liq3 Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion)..

Wow, at first I read that as VD. Funniest shit ever.
What's VD?... Confused

P.S. Is it the first google result for "VD"...cause if so... Laugh

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
05-03-2008 05:48 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

liq3: Yep.

K
S
05-03-2008 06:38 AM
X Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

What school do you go to in cali?
I leave in cali, I haven't gotten my Cahsee scores back yet.

[Image: joker.jpg]
05-03-2008 07:59 AM
Slick Offline
Shattered

I go to Gardena High School and I just finished taking my Math portion
of the test like a week ago. I don't think I did that good though. Noo

There might be summer school I might have to take to make up my classes and credits.

But, for some reason if I have to do another year, I'll just go for the
GED online or something.

05-12-2008 12:48 PM
Colonel Mustard Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

http://www.chspe.net
05-13-2008 03:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How can I go to college without finishing high school? xcriteria 10 10,655 05-31-2017 10:25 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
  Aim High School? The man 6 4,056 05-29-2017 02:00 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Seeking people have dropped out of high school without parent support (for interview) xcriteria 4 2,803 05-05-2017 04:14 AM
  I Was the Queen Bee: 3 High-School Bullies Describe Their Reigns of Terror James Comey 0 1,666 04-25-2017 07:44 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  I wish I could go back to high school .... James Comey 23 11,064 04-08-2017 05:46 AM
  Worst year of high school? Dead 17 14,056 03-29-2017 09:00 AM
Shocked Please, punish yourself | She still thinks her High School is the best Lucas Gallindo 1 2,281 03-14-2017 07:39 PM
Last Post: sswbm
Brick High School, Hypocrisy, Personal textname30 5 3,813 11-05-2016 01:15 PM
  I started high school on 8/29/16 SchoolIsPrison333 1 2,279 10-04-2016 03:07 AM
Last Post: Sadly_Not
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 15,133 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke