School Survival Forums
Tired Of High School. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Tired Of High School. (/showthread.php?tid=14425)

Tired Of High School. - Slick - 05-01-2008 03:08 PM

Well I'm in my Senior Year and failed most of my classes. I do all the work I literally can, but because of the stupid Cahsee math section I have to pass to graduate,(which I still haven't passed), I'm being pulled from my classes force to take a Cahsee prep class throughout the whole week for at least 4 hours and thats really making my absences look ugly since I've been sick I missed
another week.

I only have 1 more month left until this school semester is over and I don't know how I'm going to pull this shit off with the Cahsee, recommendation letters, senior portfolios and some other bullshit that I don't even know what the fuck the school is talking about.

I REALLY feel like I wish someone would set fire to this school, because I've been nothing but deeply stressed out, its like no matter what I do, I'm not getting cut for it and if I have to do another year of high school, I'm going to freak.

Re: Tired Of High School. - Darthmat - 05-01-2008 08:21 PM

Good luck. Hug

Re: Tired Of High School. - SoulRiser - 05-02-2008 08:35 AM

What is this "Cahsee" thing?

Re: Tired Of High School. - Slick - 05-02-2008 09:26 AM

SoulRiser Wrote:What is this "Cahsee" thing?

Cahsee which is :California High School Exit Exam. Its a stupid
test that we have to take to earn our high school diploma, and we can't graduate until we pass it. Its a REALLY hard test, well except
for the English part since I passed that. But I had no luck with the math section.

Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test
and decided to just go and take college classes instead.

Re: Tired Of High School. - SoulRiser - 05-02-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test

What's the point of taking the Cahsee test at all if you can get into college without it?

Re: Tired Of High School. - Slick - 05-02-2008 11:26 AM

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:Pretty much half students are dropping out because of that test

What's the point of taking the Cahsee test at all if you can get into college without it?

idk, As far as I know, college never see those scores. They're just a way of making sure your school is teaching what it should be.

But all I know is that, you can't get a diploma without passing the
test.

Re: Tired Of High School. - xcriteria - 05-02-2008 11:38 AM

Then... how do all those who don't take it get into college?

I mean, there's the GED, early entrance programs, etc., but half?

Re: Tired Of High School. - SoulRiser - 05-02-2008 01:52 PM

Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Re: Tired Of High School. - xcriteria - 05-02-2008 08:43 PM

If you do end up not graduating, you could get a GED, though that is another test... or maybe there'd be another way to get around having to do a whole additional year.

According to this article about the Cahsee, Currently, 91.4 percent of the class of 2007 has passed the exam, slightly more than 2 percentage points higher than the class of 2006 at the same point in time.
That doesn't sound like it's forcing half of students to drop out... How far is your math score below what it needs to be? I know school puts a lot of pressure on seniors, especially with this high-stakes testing stuff. Maybe part of your difficulty is caused by the stress itself?

It is kinda weird that you've been pulled from your regular classes to take a prep course, especially if it's causing you to fail them. By recommendation letters and senior portfolio, you mean college admissions stuff? One option is to start at a community college rather than stressing about getting into a selective school.

Re: Tired Of High School. - Aya - 05-03-2008 03:28 AM

SoulRiser Wrote:Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Welcome to America! Every state has one of those tests. It's a way for lawmakers and educators to 'prove' that their schools don't suck and that thier students are educated. The only problem is that the bar is set so low on those tests that any one with a seventh grade education level can pass them. (The fact that half the students can't pass them pisses me off to no end.) They don't do anything to ensure educational quality. All they do is push out the bottom performing students and take time away from the little real learning that goes on in school. (sorry slick :( )

Re: Tired Of High School. - liq3 - 05-03-2008 03:37 AM

Ayliana Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:Something sounds fishy about all that. Suspicious

Welcome to America! Every state has one of those tests. It's a way for lawmakers and educators to 'prove' that their schools don't suck and that thier students are educated. The only problem is that the bar is set so low on those tests that any one with a seventh grade education level can pass them. (The fact that half the students can't pass them pisses me off to no end.) They don't do anything to ensure educational quality. All they do is push out the bottom performing students and take time away from the little real learning that goes on in school. (sorry slick :( )
Ding ding ding! That is the reason I dropped out of uni (TAFE).

Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion).
instead of what they were teaching last year, which was C. This is because students were struggling with C. So very sad they ruined their course. Not to mention it's the reason there are so many programmers in Australia. Most of them must suck at programming hard if the courses are this easy.

P.S. Because I'll feel bad if I don't. :]
@op: You know you can just drop out if school is bothering you so much. Get a job. Sure it might be hard (according to a diff thread) to get a job, but it's better then the crap school is. Then learn to make passive income or get into stocks(requires good logical ability), and ding ding ding. You can live with very little work, doing w/e you want where you want. No need to go to school at all.

I mean, with stocks, you can work for 2.5k an hour...Only need 100k to start off with... :(

Edit: Fix'd link.

Re: Tired Of High School. - Aya - 05-03-2008 05:44 AM

liq3 Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion)..

Wow, at first I read that as VD. Funniest shit ever.

Re: Tired Of High School. - liq3 - 05-03-2008 05:48 AM

Ayliana Wrote:
liq3 Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Last year 6 people out of 60 passed the math exam. So they decided to make it piss easy. I mean they're teaching arithmetic in the first semester. Even worse, and this burned me hard, is they decided to teach VB, VB...
VB! (omg yes I hate VB with a passion)..

Wow, at first I read that as VD. Funniest shit ever.
What's VD?... Confused

P.S. Is it the first google result for "VD"...cause if so... Laugh

Re: Tired Of High School. - Bob Dole - 05-03-2008 06:38 AM

liq3: Yep.

Re: Tired Of High School. - X - 05-03-2008 07:59 AM

What school do you go to in cali?
I leave in cali, I haven't gotten my Cahsee scores back yet.

Re: Tired Of High School. - Slick - 05-12-2008 12:48 PM

I go to Gardena High School and I just finished taking my Math portion
of the test like a week ago. I don't think I did that good though. Noo

There might be summer school I might have to take to make up my classes and credits.

But, for some reason if I have to do another year, I'll just go for the
GED online or something.

Re: Tired Of High School. - Colonel Mustard - 05-13-2008 03:48 AM

http://www.chspe.net