RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Do you know what a MOOC is?
Never heard of them.
I've seen the word, but I'm not sure what it means.
I know what it means, but I've never checked them out.
I've checked some out, but didn't stick around.
I've completed or participated in substantial parts of one or more MOOCs.
I've built my own MOOCs...
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is a MOOC?
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
What is a MOOC?

How many of you are familiar with MOOCs?

Watch on YouTube

There are several different kinds... some are more like traditional university courses (like most on Coursera and [http://edx.org]edX[/url]. Others are more like temporary [b]learning communities[b] (called connectivist MOOCs), like Learning Creative Learning 2 (LCL2) from MIT (running now) and Designing a New Learning Environment (DNLE) from Stanford (in 2012.)

These new formats of connected learning are one of the things that is helping to transform traditional myths about what education is and how it has to work... a.k.a., school-as-usual. And they can be a great way to meet like-minded people... I've met people through both of these who also believe in transforming education.

So... I think they're worth learning about and exploring. Smile

Does that make sense? How many of you have checked out some MOOCs? Any thoughts on them?

And what kinds would you like to see?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
04-20-2014 12:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

RE: What is a MOOC?

scorchededge's blog post about MOOCs:

http://apessimisticview.weebly.com/1/pos...-mooc.html

PS: Anyone else want to respond to the poll above? It's a simple question. Biggrin

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
04-21-2014 04:14 PM
scorchededge243 Away
Revolutionary

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

I was a total believer in them, but they really can't replace face to face. The way I see it also is most of the Mooc's just put the teaching online (duh) but not actual learning. Same boring old method, just easier to get access to for free or lower price.
04-22-2014 05:26 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

That's where connectivist MOOCs (cMOOCS), and even "meta-MOOCing" come into play.

Have you seen any of these edu-MOOCs, like Designing a New Learning Environment (DNLE), or Learning Creative Learning (LCL)?

LCL2 is running now... http://learn.media.mit.edu/

These courses tend to involve active discussion of learning itself, and the courses are more about people connecting and learning through projects and discussions, vs. just absorbing lecture content.

For example, I started this thread in LCL2, which got some conversation going:

Creative Learning for those unhappy in “school-as-usual”

Others, like New School Creation, where run mostly using G+ and YouTube.

Even when these courses are over, their content usually remains, and it's possible to remix that content, and those assignments, in new ways.

I've met some interesting people through these... people who believe in the need to transform education to meet the needs of learners. And now, there are all these tools that can be used to facilitate learning.

On that note, face-to-face interaction does have benefits, but Google Hangouts make something similar possible. I'm working on creating and finding relevant content... and looking at how that can be mixed into more worthwhile interactive experiences.

I posted about some of my experiences with face-to-face college not meeting my needs... on this LCL2 thread: To metaMOC or not?

In short, I think whether it's in-person or online, or a hybrid, there's the question of whether the "experience designers" really make a compelling, worthwhile experience. When it comes to learning, I think that's usually best done by getting to know individual learner's backstories, situations, interests, cognitive styles, and preferences... though that's a bit hard to scale. Smile

Would you be interested in participating in a MOOC-like experience that would adapt to your needs and preferences?

Hidden stuff:
04-23-2014 06:41 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
What is a MOOC?

Oh, by the way (not to hog your thread or anything), there's also this: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
04-23-2014 07:10 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(04-23-2014 07:10 AM)Faby Wrote:  Oh, by the way (not to hog your thread or anything), there's also this: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Yeah, MIT OpenCourseware was quite groundbreaking in making course content available. I remember when that was first announced.

MOOCs are different in that they're usually structured like courses with start and end dates, enrollment, usually forums, some kind of interaction from the instructors, and often certificates of completion (for those who meet the requirements.)

Here's an article about how MOOCs emerged in 2012: The Year of the MOOC

But yes... a lot of people drop out or just lurk, and there's a big question of how to do things even better, now that so much content is open and available for use (including just on YouTube.)

Hidden stuff:
04-23-2014 08:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mooc Campus? scorchededge243 3 5,110 04-02-2014 01:55 AM
Last Post: xcriteria