RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consumers
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Consumers

Why are so many people so satisfied with nothing going for them? For example so many people at my school don't do anything other then just watch tv and do homework. I am not trying to brag but to prove I am not a hypocrite I released an iPhone game early this year and have just gotten into screen play writing. Two things that nobody in my school seems to do. Although I have just gotten my friend into screen play writing as well so that's a start.

What I am mainly getting at here though is that mostly everyone is just a consumer, to be just that guy who helps keeps the cogs turning in our society horrifies me as I want to be something. Does anyone else feel this way?
10-31-2011 01:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
RE: Consumers

I know what you mean, I'm not trying to brag either but I wrote a book last year (ok well it's not a book really since it's not gonna get published because the market is so shitty these days but still) and everyone else seems content to consume and not be creative, not even try to produce anything. It's like people saying they're creative and individual by reblogging pictures and music and stuff on tumblr (or whatever) but never coming up with any original ideas or art of their own.

Yep, everyone is a consumer because that's what's "normal," and if you don't agree with the spend-consume-die wheel of existence, you're just weird. I want my life to have some meaning if that makes any sense.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
10-31-2011 02:32 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Even worse, they actually refer to themselves as "consumers"... Call yourself a person or even citizen if you want to be half stupid, but a consumer? That's just... wrong.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-31-2011 03:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

If they are comfortable and content with their place in the world -- be it the role of consumer, creator, citizen, or whatever else -- then that's all that matters.

But I think people always want more than to just fritter their lives away. However, many people, paralysed by fear and laziness and doubt, prefer to deny their wishes and take cover under a life of quiet, frustrated consumerism.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
10-31-2011 04:14 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I find myself more and more after everyday needing less consumer goods. Really, I would be fine with my own little sustainable log cabin in a wood, a vinyl player and some cannabis plants. I don't tend to go and buy games anymore, I don't play games as much as I used to. It's like the more I free myself from unnecessary crap the happier I get.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
10-31-2011 04:38 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(10-31-2011 04:14 AM)Faby Wrote:  If they are comfortable and content with their place in the world -- be it the role of consumer, creator, citizen, or whatever else -- then that's all that matters.

But I think people always want more than to just fritter their lives away. However, many people, paralysed by fear and laziness and doubt, prefer to deny their wishes and take cover under a life of quiet, frustrated consumerism.

This here.
Funny thing here is people for all their products tend to look down on creativity and prefer the stagnation they themselves fear.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-31-2011 06:04 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(10-31-2011 04:14 AM)Faby Wrote:  However, many people, paralysed by fear and laziness and doubt, prefer to deny their wishes and take cover under a life of quiet, frustrated consumerism.

me, and me, it's because of fear, laziness and doubting myself/somehow hating what I end up making that I often go through great difficulty on doing anything creative. Because I can't make myself practice my stupid guitar or piano lol.

[Image: glorious666.png]
10-31-2011 06:48 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(10-31-2011 04:38 AM)Elfy Wrote:  I find myself more and more after everyday needing less consumer goods. Really, I would be fine with my own little sustainable log cabin in a wood, a vinyl player and some cannabis plants. I don't tend to go and buy games anymore, I don't play games as much as I used to. It's like the more I free myself from unnecessary crap the happier I get.
This. Probably the reason people are so depressed nowadays, especially in America, is because they measure their own worth by their possessions. Most of which they don't need.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
10-31-2011 07:04 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

It's difficult for a person to put themselves out there, especially when they don't know who they are.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-31-2011 09:05 AM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(10-31-2011 04:14 AM)Faby Wrote:  If they are comfortable and content with their place in the world -- be it the role of consumer, creator, citizen, or whatever else -- then that's all that matters.

I understand what you mean but it seems that the world is just full of consumers and next to nothing original gets made these days. I don't know what your tv stations are like but mine are filled with old sit coms and reality tv.

I think having some people as consumers is good but for the majority to be it just sucks and is unproductive. I should have to manage the amount of time I spend watching comedy but as there is barley any original stuff out there I have to hunt it down like an STD free prostitute and hope it was worth the effort.

As for people being lazy/scared/etc that is probably true for some people but I don't see that as a viable excuse and is more of just a cop out to do something that takes effort.
10-31-2011 12:58 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Our purpose (according to the elite) is to be consumers.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-31-2011 01:16 PM