RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicked out of class for refusing to say The Lords Prayer
Phillip Offline
Defiant

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Kicked out of class for refusing to say The Lords Prayer

During one Relgious Studies lesson the teacher made everyone in the class say The Lords Prayer but i refused to do that and when he asked me why i said that i don't beleive in all this praying stuff and that i have my own beliefs, i said that i didn't have a problem with people who wanna pray, if they wanna do that best of luck to them but it's something that i'd rather not do

But then i got kicked out of class because according to the teacher I was being discrespectfull towards God
03-01-2007 02:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Noo
This sort of thing annoys me. Forcing people to pray doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile. And then when someone doesn't want to, then that's disrespectful to God? Yeah right. I think it's more disrespectful to God to force people to pray when they don't want to.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-01-2007 04:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Interesting that it happened in religious studies class. You'd think the teacher might understand that not all religions include a belief in God or anything in the Lord's Prayer.
03-01-2007 06:10 AM
Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Phillip, what country are you in? In the US, I believe the teacher would be out of line by forcing students to pray in school. In a religious studies class, it might be reasonable to require students to read it, but forcing them to recite it seems wrong.

Check out this sort of related article: a student recorded his history teacher teaching his students "evolution and the Big Bang were not scientific, that dinosaurs were aboard Noah’s ark, and that only Christians had a place in heaven." His parents are considering suing the school for violating church-state separation.

Talk in Class Turns to God, Setting Off Public Debate on Rights (nytimes.com; free registration may be required.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
03-01-2007 10:06 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:Interesting that it happened in religious studies class. You'd think the teacher might understand that not all religions include a belief in God or anything in the Lord's Prayer.

Really! Seems weird to kick somebody out for it.
03-01-2007 10:08 AM
Qindarka Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Sue your teacher or something like that. It should be understood that not everyone has the same religion.
By the way, what country do you live in?

In my school (I'm an atheist) , during moral studies, the first chapter is belief in god. The textbook puts that if you believe in god, you won't do bad things like smoking , drinking and gambling.So she is implying that I do those things. (Actually , there is nothing wrong with drinking and gambling . Drinking is OK in moderation and gambling is alright if treated as entertainment only.)
In the textbook, there are also questions like if everyone in the world had no religion, how will the world be like ? She will give the answer : If the world had no religion, everyone will be immoral and the crime rate will be very high.

So much religious discrimination going on in schools today.
03-01-2007 10:19 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

BigWolf Wrote:Mention the Crusades.

Most infamous campaign of ethnic cleansing, also Christians were the perpetrators (if you didn't already know). It'll shut her up.

If not, there's many, many more religious ethnic cleansing campaigns throughout history.

Yeah, it's just damn ironic that there are a shitload of genocides, mass suicides, massacres and general killings that at least some people call "The work of god". Mention Jonestown, that'll also shut her up....however, the Leader of Jonestown...wait.....yeah, go ahead and mention it. The leader and people of Jonestown were just really radical christians, basically.
03-01-2007 10:59 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

In my math class today, a kid got kicked out for asking me for a pencil!

That teacher is a nutcase.
03-01-2007 11:15 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:In my math class today, a kid got kicked out for asking me for a pencil!

Think that's bad? I got a detention for asking for the time, saying the word "Kevin", and THEN saying NOTHING.

I'm so glad I don't have her anymore.
03-01-2007 11:21 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Toucanman Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:In my math class today, a kid got kicked out for asking me for a pencil!

Think that's bad? I got a detention for asking for the time, saying the word "Kevin", and THEN saying NOTHING.

Sheesh!

Then again, getting away from such a crazy ass teacher doesn't seem like much of a punishment! Biggrin
03-01-2007 11:31 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:
Toucanman Wrote:

Sheesh!

Then again, getting away from such a crazy ass teacher doesn't seem like much of a punishment! Biggrin

More like a trophey.

/rocks out to coheed.
03-01-2007 11:32 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Qindarka Wrote:Sue your teacher or something like that. It should be understood that not everyone has the same religion.
By the way, what country do you live in?

In my school (I'm an atheist) , during moral studies, the first chapter is belief in god. The textbook puts that if you believe in god, you won't do bad things like smoking , drinking and gambling.So she is implying that I do those things. (Actually , there is nothing wrong with drinking and gambling . Drinking is OK in moderation and gambling is alright if treated as entertainment only.)
In the textbook, there are also questions like if everyone in the world had no religion, how will the world be like ? She will give the answer : If the world had no religion, everyone will be immoral and the crime rate will be very high.

So much religious discrimination going on in schools today.

Grrrr...the old "You have to be religious to be moral" campaign.

Happy Camper is frowning.

Happy Camper is curious to the context of Phillip's situation though. Was this a christian school or a public school where they offer a sort of comparative religions class? If it was a public school I guess the only grounds they would have had to kick you out of class would be lack of participation. Maybe you should confront her how prayers are too sacred to just recite. Or if she meant for you to actually pray, how she had no right to assume you weren't just as engaged as the other students. An honest reaction actually probably is a better way to respond to direction such as that if the whole goal is to have a better understanding of religion.

Happy Camper will pray that God will knock some into your teacher. Giggle

Let's do the time warp again!
03-01-2007 11:54 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

well when i was in green oaks *juvenile holding area* they had optional bible class
i was fine with that
what pissed me off is that before meals we HAD to say grace to god
well on the first day i didnt say it instead i just stood as everyone else bowed and prayed
ill never forget what the gaurd said to me
:Gaurd: why didnt you pray boy
:Me: because i dont believe in god *faint gasps heard throughout room*
:Gaurd: i dont care if you dont believe in god, when your here you pray
:Me: thats illegal
:Gaurd: well until you pray nobodys gonna eat
:Gaurd 2: *nodding head in aproval
:Me: ugh fine asshole
:Gaurd: ok everyone lets try again
:Everyone But Me: *bows head* god is good god is great let us thank him for our food bow our heads we all are fed thank you lord for daily bread amen
:Me: while everyone is praying im talking under my breath so it looks like im praying* god is retard god is a hypocrite these people are idiots i know that if i dont at least look like im praying that this gaurd will tell the judge that i attacked someone here *i didnt* i hate this guy

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
03-01-2007 01:50 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Quote:Happy Camper is frowning.

FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!
03-01-2007 02:00 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

If I get started on religion ill get banned from these forums....and I need to have some more essays critizied first.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
03-01-2007 02:05 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Noo
This sort of thing annoys me. Forcing people to pray doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile. And then when someone doesn't want to, then that's disrespectful to God? Yeah right. I think it's more disrespectful to God to force people to pray when they don't want to.
*High five*
Amen, sistah!

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
03-01-2007 02:36 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Vatman Wrote:If I get started on religion ill get banned from these forums....and I need to have some more essays critizied first.

you won't get banned
03-01-2007 02:48 PM
Pyrokinetic_Punker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

man, I used to go to a Catholic School (I changed to a public school last year) and I never used to pray, the teachers didn't care but the students got really angry at me for it, people there thought I was a satanist because I listen to Marilyn Manson, idiots.
03-01-2007 08:07 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Pyrokinetic_Punker Wrote:man, I used to go to a Catholic School (I changed to a public school last year) and I never used to pray, the teachers didn't care but the students got really angry at me for it, people there thought I was a satanist because I listen to Marilyn Manson, idiots.

Hahaa, man, that must've sucked. Glad to hear you're out of it.
03-01-2007 09:10 PM
Fanatic

it's like bowling for columbine

<random snippets>

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson has caused...

marilyn manson.

marilyn...

manson.
03-02-2007 06:08 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:it's like bowling for columbine

<random snippets>

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson.

marilyn manson has caused...

marilyn manson.

marilyn...

manson.
Wasn't it said that dude was a Satanist? If he is, I don't give a shit. I like his music, even though he's friggin creepy.

Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

03-02-2007 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Marilyn Manson isn't a Satanist, he just is part of that rock scene that uses Satanic imagery. Very few bands that use Satanic imagery are actually Satanic. It is more likely a band is Asatruar than Satanists.
03-03-2007 04:27 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:Marilyn Manson isn't a Satanist, he just is part of that rock scene that uses Satanic imagery. Very few bands that use Satanic imagery are actually Satanic. It is more likely a band is Asatruar than Satanists.
Alrighty....

03-03-2007 02:37 PM
Fanatic

well he's not lol
03-03-2007 03:06 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:well he's not lol
I don't give a shit. I just heard that he was.

03-04-2007 01:59 PM
Jer830 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

thats a not right they should have no right to do that, i personally had somewhat the same problem one day, i didnt stand for the national anthem cause i dont beleive in standing for something i dont beleive in and i was sent to the office got a talking too and now they are forcing me to stand and it pisses me the f*** off and they have no right to tell me what i can and cant do.. and yea i respect what u did 110% Biggrin [/u]
03-09-2007 02:25 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

The Wandering Soul Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:Noo
*High five*
Amen, sistah!
Agreed. You should never force someone to be religious, it's their choice.
03-09-2007 07:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Sad Two teachers are refusing to let me do exams in the Hall with the rest of the class Marlena403 14 5,689 05-20-2017 05:36 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Story of student in the USA kicked off campus when he sought help from the uni stevehein 9 4,572 06-07-2015 05:27 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Prayer during high school graduation? scorchededge243 17 4,837 05-23-2014 10:40 AM
Last Post: Sharpie
  Girl supporting friend with cancer - kicked out Dirtbikemike 6 3,671 03-29-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: LadyKira
  Refusing To Stand and Say The Pledge GrungeGestapo 17 6,790 10-09-2010 01:51 PM
Last Post: CrayolaColours
  So I found out I might get kicked out of school Pieman 4 2,355 03-11-2009 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pieman
  We're livin on a prayer. tock172 16 3,945 02-28-2009 01:35 PM
Last Post: assaultmedic