School Survival Forums
Patriotism - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Patriotism (/showthread.php?tid=6859)

Patriotism - Faby - 11-22-2009 07:55 PM

Okay, so frankly I don't know whether this belongs here, or in the politics forum, but I don't care anyway.

So, what's your view on patriotism?

My view is thus: I don't care about patriotism. Coming from a poor and shitty country, people usually say something like "You're an idiot, if you were born in a better country, you'd be a patriot too!"

No. I wouldn't. Because I just don't care. A country is land and its people. I find nothing to love about a piece of land, no matter how beautiful it is geographically. And I certainly don't love the "masses" or "populace" or whatever. I only love my friends. And if I feel proud about them and what they've done, I love just that, not the country whence they hail.

Re: Patriotism - mihai_alexandru - 11-22-2009 09:15 PM

There was a cool quote in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"Patriotism is real estate over principles".

Re: Patriotism - Faby - 11-22-2009 09:43 PM

That's fine and whatever, but what's your view on it? In your own words.

Re: Patriotism - mihai_alexandru - 11-23-2009 02:58 AM

Never been a patriot. I think we're all part of the human species so I'm not much of a patriot. I guess that's OK.

Re: Patriotism - Rebelnerd - 11-23-2009 03:24 AM

Be a patriot if you live in a good country. Stop being one if it turns bad. It's that simple.
People get this idea that their country has a soul or something intangible and good that will always be there, and it's not true. A country is indeed a piece of land and a piece of land can change. If you really feel like you have to be a part of something, choose an ideology or ethnic group because it will always be the same (or else it would turn into a different one). But don't bind yourself to a piece of land when the people running that land are as corruptible as anyone else.

Re: Patriotism - Amortisatie - 11-23-2009 03:24 AM

My view is, you don't get to choose where you are born, so it is foolish to be a patriot.

Re: Patriotism - HeartofShadows - 11-23-2009 03:27 AM

I agree with others here.

Also I like a quote from modern warfare 2 where they say apart of being a patriot is talking bad about your country when it does something wrong.

But heaven forbid you say anything bad about america when you meet a patriotic forienger.

God they will never shut up about their country and their struggles.

Re: Patriotism - Specter - 11-23-2009 04:17 AM

Patriotism is kinda like religion, both are bullshit.

Re: Patriotism - Eidolon - 11-23-2009 04:38 AM

It is possible to love your country without loving its government.

That kind of patriotism is noble, I think.

Re: Patriotism - Thought Criminal - 11-23-2009 05:08 AM

I don't believe in patriotism. (if that makes any sense)

let specter explain.
Specter Wrote:Patriotism is kinda like religion, both are bullshit.

Re: Patriotism - Swift - 11-23-2009 10:16 AM

Amortisatie Wrote:My view is, you don't get to choose where you are born, so it is foolish to be a patriot.

...Says the man who has a Proud to be German userbar in his signature.

Rolleyes

Nationalism is stupid. Patriotism is okay.

Re: Patriotism - MorikoMisa - 11-23-2009 11:20 AM

Well I have to say it's stupid, as already said, I didn't CHOOSE to be born here, so why should I love it? Land is land, it shouldn't be owned or named, it's just land.

Re: Patriotism - The Desert Fox - 11-23-2009 03:35 PM

Once the United States actually has "freedom and justice for all" I'll be more than happy to be patriotic for them. Until then... no.

Re: Patriotism - Thought Criminal - 11-23-2009 10:44 PM

Ha good luck making that happen.

Re: Patriotism - Liquid - 11-24-2009 02:16 AM

Eidolon Wrote:It is possible to love your country without loving its government.

That kind of patriotism is noble, I think.

This

MorikoElven Wrote:Well I have to say it's stupid, as already said, I didn't CHOOSE to be born here, so why should I love it? Land is land, it shouldn't be owned or named, it's just land.

Land isn't just Land. Each hill, each valley, has a unique combination of resources. If you do not protect the resources you find then someone else will come along and control them instead of you. Humans in many places make the land better, they build homes, they plow fields, plant groves of fruit trees. For someone to come along and say that the people there can't own the land and have no more right to what they created than anyone else... would that not be stealing?

A nation is the people all combined to defend their area, and to maintain peace inside their area. The "country" (although people use the word to refer to the nation) is really just the land that the nation happens to currently control. If your nation has a long history and has historically had good moral values and good traditions, why should you not be "patriotic" and continue its values and traditions yourself, and why should you not be "patriotic" and defend those values and traditions?

You can be a Patriot even rebelling against your government.

Re: Patriotism - Faby - 11-24-2009 02:21 AM

If you come from a country whose moral values are worth upholding.

Re: Patriotism - Rebelnerd - 11-24-2009 03:59 AM

Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

Re: Patriotism - Vatman - 11-24-2009 04:02 AM

Rebelnerd Wrote:Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

My parents love the United States, having been born in what was the Soviet Union at the time...they had always dreamed of living in a country in which they could work hard and earn success for what they did. They may have annoying accents but they do truly appreciate this country; and as hard working citizens would...they would call themselves patriots if ever asked.

A country is based on an ideal; and anyone can choose to represent an ideal.

Re: Patriotism - Faby - 11-24-2009 04:21 AM

Rebelnerd Wrote:Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

Great question. I don't really know what to answer though, I'll write down a reply later.

*muses*

Re: Patriotism - IllusoryDeath - 11-24-2009 07:52 AM

Patriotism = not for me AT ALL, thanks.