RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriotism
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Patriotism

Okay, so frankly I don't know whether this belongs here, or in the politics forum, but I don't care anyway.

So, what's your view on patriotism?

My view is thus: I don't care about patriotism. Coming from a poor and shitty country, people usually say something like "You're an idiot, if you were born in a better country, you'd be a patriot too!"

No. I wouldn't. Because I just don't care. A country is land and its people. I find nothing to love about a piece of land, no matter how beautiful it is geographically. And I certainly don't love the "masses" or "populace" or whatever. I only love my friends. And if I feel proud about them and what they've done, I love just that, not the country whence they hail.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
11-22-2009 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mihai_alexandru Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: Patriotism

There was a cool quote in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"Patriotism is real estate over principles".
11-22-2009 09:15 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

That's fine and whatever, but what's your view on it? In your own words.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
11-22-2009 09:43 PM
mihai_alexandru Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Never been a patriot. I think we're all part of the human species so I'm not much of a patriot. I guess that's OK.
11-23-2009 02:58 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Be a patriot if you live in a good country. Stop being one if it turns bad. It's that simple.
People get this idea that their country has a soul or something intangible and good that will always be there, and it's not true. A country is indeed a piece of land and a piece of land can change. If you really feel like you have to be a part of something, choose an ideology or ethnic group because it will always be the same (or else it would turn into a different one). But don't bind yourself to a piece of land when the people running that land are as corruptible as anyone else.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-23-2009 03:24 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

My view is, you don't get to choose where you are born, so it is foolish to be a patriot.

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
11-23-2009 03:24 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I agree with others here.

Also I like a quote from modern warfare 2 where they say apart of being a patriot is talking bad about your country when it does something wrong.

But heaven forbid you say anything bad about america when you meet a patriotic forienger.

God they will never shut up about their country and their struggles.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-23-2009 03:27 AM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Patriotism is kinda like religion, both are bullshit.

Jesus backwards sounds like 'sausage'. =D
11-23-2009 04:17 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

It is possible to love your country without loving its government.

That kind of patriotism is noble, I think.
11-23-2009 04:38 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I don't believe in patriotism. (if that makes any sense)

let specter explain.
Specter Wrote:Patriotism is kinda like religion, both are bullshit.
11-23-2009 05:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Amortisatie Wrote:My view is, you don't get to choose where you are born, so it is foolish to be a patriot.

...Says the man who has a Proud to be German userbar in his signature.

Rolleyes

Nationalism is stupid. Patriotism is okay.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
11-23-2009 10:16 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Well I have to say it's stupid, as already said, I didn't CHOOSE to be born here, so why should I love it? Land is land, it shouldn't be owned or named, it's just land.

*SPARKLING* *DOUCHEBUCKETS.*
11-23-2009 11:20 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Once the United States actually has "freedom and justice for all" I'll be more than happy to be patriotic for them. Until then... no.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
11-23-2009 03:35 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Ha good luck making that happen.
11-23-2009 10:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:It is possible to love your country without loving its government.

That kind of patriotism is noble, I think.

This

MorikoElven Wrote:Well I have to say it's stupid, as already said, I didn't CHOOSE to be born here, so why should I love it? Land is land, it shouldn't be owned or named, it's just land.

Land isn't just Land. Each hill, each valley, has a unique combination of resources. If you do not protect the resources you find then someone else will come along and control them instead of you. Humans in many places make the land better, they build homes, they plow fields, plant groves of fruit trees. For someone to come along and say that the people there can't own the land and have no more right to what they created than anyone else... would that not be stealing?

A nation is the people all combined to defend their area, and to maintain peace inside their area. The "country" (although people use the word to refer to the nation) is really just the land that the nation happens to currently control. If your nation has a long history and has historically had good moral values and good traditions, why should you not be "patriotic" and continue its values and traditions yourself, and why should you not be "patriotic" and defend those values and traditions?

You can be a Patriot even rebelling against your government.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
11-24-2009 02:16 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

If you come from a country whose moral values are worth upholding.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
11-24-2009 02:21 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-24-2009 03:59 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

My parents love the United States, having been born in what was the Soviet Union at the time...they had always dreamed of living in a country in which they could work hard and earn success for what they did. They may have annoying accents but they do truly appreciate this country; and as hard working citizens would...they would call themselves patriots if ever asked.

A country is based on an ideal; and anyone can choose to represent an ideal.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
11-24-2009 04:02 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Rebelnerd Wrote:Hypothetical question: you're born in a shitty country and so you don't want to be patriotic. Then you move to, say, Sweden and you absolutely love it there. In that case would you consider patriotism to be okay, since you did choose which country to be a citizen of?

Great question. I don't really know what to answer though, I'll write down a reply later.

*muses*

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
11-24-2009 04:21 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Patriotism = not for me AT ALL, thanks.