School Survival Forums
Life Value - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Life Value (/showthread.php?tid=13481)

Life Value - schoolhater234 - 07-06-2008 02:32 PM

I was thinking about this question earlier. Please tell me what you think about it.

What lives should we value, and what is it about these forms of life that makes them valuable, whereas the others are not (or even have negative value)? Why do we value humans over animals? Why do we value normal humans over mentally- challenged humans?

Re: Life Value - youvebeenthunderstruck - 07-06-2008 02:47 PM

I would answer... but I honestly have no idea what to say.

Re: Life Value - Cosbydaf - 07-06-2008 02:51 PM

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I would answer... but I honestly have no idea what to say.

Agreed. This is a difficult question. I think the concept of value is a lot like that of morals, as in each people have their own ideas of what's valuable and what isn't.

Re: Life Value - Happy Camper - 07-06-2008 02:53 PM

We live in an intelligent world. Now someone will dispute this and talk about all overwhelming levels of stupidity in this world... But really. We are intelligent life. We value intelligence. Whether it be social intelligence, physical intelligence, musical, or otherwise. We value it. In modern times the soul might as well equate itself to consciousness.

That's kind of what it's narrowing down to. Maybe I speak too much on the behalf of others. For me the option of abortion goes out the window when the fetus has developed a consciousness and can feel pain (which I think happens sometime in the second semester)? That's kind of a simplified standard.

I'm too tired to really think about this. More to come later.

Re: Life Value - HeartofShadows - 07-06-2008 02:58 PM

I'm with cosby on this..
Life's value is interpreted by different views.
A person's life could be important to his family, friends, teachers and even co- workers because he works around them and build a sort of bond with them but to strangers his life is just another life in a sea of them.

Re: Life Value - Darthmat - 07-06-2008 03:25 PM

I don't really know what to say here either. But I think despite whatever logic may say, emotion takes a big part in this. These views in general will vary from person to person, and individuals will hold specific individuals higher then others.

Re: Life Value - undergroundrevolutionary - 07-06-2008 05:24 PM

there is no value to any life were all just tiny little running around on one planet out of trillions, making excuses to why were important.

Re: Life Value - SoulRiser - 07-07-2008 06:38 AM

I value all life... I feel bad if I accidentally kill an ant or something.

I don't value "normal" humans over "mentally challenged" ones, because each human is unique in their own way.

The reason I value human life over the life of critters is because I can't communicate that well with critters, and they don't understand me nearly as well as (some) humans can. But critters are still important too.

Re: Life Value - Zstriker - 07-07-2008 06:17 PM

I think we value certain things (probably including lives) more so than others because we learn to. If you are constantly told you are better than something from the moment you are born, you tend to believe it. Same thing with religion in many cases. If you only know of one choice then there is really only one choice.

Re: Life Value - fragile-esteem - 07-08-2008 05:28 AM

I think that all life should be valued in the same way because everyone has a value to someone and it doesn't matter who it is but somebody would be crushed by them not being around anymore. And this goes for animals etc too.