RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm starting my own country, anyone want to join?
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
I'm starting my own country, anyone want to join?

I bought a few decent sized islands kind of like this one. I'm not going to post the actual thing yet(it's next to Australia though).

They're pretty small compared to mega countries but we can start small expand if we need to.

For some time, I will be dictator of this country, the only definite rules being basic human rights and the right to leave the country and no longer be a citizen whenever you wish. The rest of the laws I will put in place to make sure my country does not die, but these may change after my resignation.

There will be strict immigration laws, for many reasons. I will not be in charge forever, and I don't know if the future leaders will be corrupt or not, so there is no way of knowing if this country will be any better than the others. Migrants must be very fluent in English and pass a few tests, at the very least. These laws may change after my resignation.

The only thing I can do, however, is construct a near perfect country to begin with, and then hope that it does not join the dark side.

Once we've got a stable small country going, I'll resign as dictator, but only after creating a near perfect, but flexible, constitution. The country will be something similar to a democracy, and I'll make sure of it before I lose my absolute power.

School, obviously, will be optional and everyone will have the right to own a gun, for self defense, but abuse of the right to own a gun will result in the offender having a choice, either leave the country, or go to prison. There will be other methods of punishment, so don't go around shooting people.

The only mandatory form of learning will be learning how to use a gun, for everyone that is able to hold one. However not everyone will be allowed to own a gun, which will require the person to pass very basic aptitude tests, have no criminal record, and to be mentally stable.

There will be an armed forces, which people will not be forced to join. However, if the country is under attack, and the current numbers of soldiers are not sufficient, conscription will take place and anyone who resists, without a reason, will be given a choice. Either piss off out of the country, or go to prison. For this crime, this will be the only punishment.

That's all I can remember for now
06-10-2009 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: I'm starting my own country, anyone want to join?

Can we Trade with China?

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
06-10-2009 07:26 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Something_Spacey Wrote:Can we Trade with China?

Yes, but we'll probably end up conquering them.
06-11-2009 02:33 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

lol I would join, can I be the head scientist of medical development?
06-11-2009 10:15 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Holy crap, I love Micronations.

I wanna your right-hand man.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
06-11-2009 10:21 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Sounds great. A little weak in the natural resources department, but beachfront property is beachfront property.

some suggestions:
-Build floating islands all around it. Strong wooden framework covered in soil and plants that can survive near salt water. Extend the surface area until enough dirt and debris builds up underneath the platforms that it's strong enough to build on.

-Invest in a bigass desalinator. Fresh water will be a good thing to have, and might be useful to barter with passing ships.

-Use legalized drugs and gambling to turn your puny little island into a hotspot for fishermen and frieghters. It will bring in a ton of revenue and earn goodwill among the locals if another country ever got hostile.

-In addition to a standing army, just fill the island with enough civilian dugouts, tunnels, sniper holes and bunkers to make Iwo Jima look like Grenada. If enemies know that an invasion will turn into a guerilla quagmire, they might be hesitant to invade (note: this doesn't work on America). And it provides a valuable means of defense without relying solely on an authoritarian military. Put in an island-wide warning siren and have all immigrants agree to grab their gun and run to the nearest bunker if it ever goes off.

-Fish a lot, for food and profit. Growing weed might help too...

-Don't harbor pirates, no matter how cool their drinking songs may be. The last thing you want is a UN fleet led by a US battle group knocking at your door.

-Don't bother trying to get nukes. Chemical weapons are more economical (and eco-friendly too!).

-If you discover oil there, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. We know what happens to countries with oil.

-If it's as close to Australia as you say, don't go within ten feet of the water at any time. Seriously, do you know how many creatures there are in that ocean that can kill you just by touching you? They have jellyfish the size of a fingernail that can inject poison, and the poison doesn't mix with morphine. So you've got to shit yourself in pain for two weeks.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
06-11-2009 11:43 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

I will honestly move here if you use rebelnerd's ideas as well as your own.
06-11-2009 01:32 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Yes rebelnerd's ideas do make sense, therefore they shall be used. Rebelnerd would you want to join my panel of leaders?

Also, your ideas on how to defend the nation are very good and practical, especially for a new society that is not so stable just yet.

Freeman, I'll take note of your request(don't even have a medical facility yet).
06-11-2009 05:00 PM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Awesome I want to be Le' Premier Marechal

and Military Tactic Strategist.

You can call me Apathy!
06-11-2009 05:25 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Something_Spacey Wrote:Awesome I want to be Le' Premier Marechal

and Military Tactic Strategist.

Righteo, so now we've got

Something_spacey- Military Tactic Strategist

Rebelnerd- Waiting on response if he wants to join

Freeman- In, but not sure yet if his request to be head scientist of medical development will be granted

Swift - Right hand man

It wont be this easy to join once we have a bigger population, but right now we are the founding fathers.
06-11-2009 05:43 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Hell yeah I'll join, even if Military Tactical Strategist is taken (but are you a tactician or a strategist? they're not the same). Just think of a cool title for me. Something that involves lots of bullets and napalm, defensive weaponry and stuff like that.

ps. Having drills with the civilian alert siren would be good, and make absolutely sure to "coincidentally" have one whenever a foreign diplomat or even a tourist is visiting. Nothing scares the shit out of a post-Vietnam representative of a first-world nation like seeing an entire civilian population pick up guns and move with practiced ease into concealed guerilla warfare units.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
06-12-2009 11:48 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:Hell yeah I'll join, even if Military Tactical Strategist is taken (but are you a tactician or a strategist? they're not the same). Just think of a cool title for me. Something that involves lots of bullets and napalm, defensive weaponry and stuff like that.

ps. Having drills with the civilian alert siren would be good, and make absolutely sure to "coincidentally" have one whenever a foreign diplomat or even a tourist is visiting. Nothing scares the shit out of a post-Vietnam representative of a first-world nation like seeing an entire civilian population pick up guns and move with practiced ease into concealed guerilla warfare units.

We'll find you a title, lol, this sort of thing suits you and I like your ideas.
06-12-2009 12:17 PM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

psychopath Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Hell yeah I'll join, even if Military Tactical Strategist is taken (but are you a tactician or a strategist? they're not the same). Just think of a cool title for me. Something that involves lots of bullets and napalm, defensive weaponry and stuff like that.

We'll find you a title, lol, this sort of thing suits you and I like your ideas.

National Pyrotechnician.

And if my request is granted I can assure only the best in new medical technologies will be used. I'll just need some funding.
06-12-2009 12:20 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Sounds like fun, what could I be?

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-13-2009 12:54 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Wolfeh Wrote:In a realistic situation, I think you might have a semi-difficult time getting people to live there if you had regular war-related drills with civilians. I'm not really sure how many people will actually voluntarily live in a place where they think there would be a high chance of danger or war.
On the other hand, it might attract exactly the kind of people we'll need, at least initially.

another defensive measure that might help would be to weigh down oxygen tanks and rebreather stations at strategic intervals at the ocean floor within the island's territorial waters. In the event of an amphibious invasion, scuba divers could operate underwater indefinitely, planting mines and sinking ships. If the tanks were concealed, the enemy would have to divert forces from the mainland assault to hunt through acres of rocky, seaweed-clogged ocean looking for fake boulders.

06-13-2009 05:58 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I want to be High Pope of the Church.
06-13-2009 10:09 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

L Wrote:I want to be High Pope of the Church.

As a citizen of the nation, you're allowed to believe whatever you want, so you can call yourself pope but it wont mean much.
06-13-2009 11:43 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I quit your nation because L-ism is the only true religion and I do not wish to be a part of a nation that does not devote itself fully to it.
06-13-2009 11:58 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:I bought a few decent sized islands kind of like this one. I'm not going to post the actual thing yet(it's next to Australia though).
Pics or it didn't happen.
06-13-2009 01:04 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

It's probably some tiny little speck of rock the Australians are using to store their nuclear waste.
Sounds fun.

06-13-2009 01:17 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

ur cuntry SUX its lame and dusnt have Facebook or Bebo LOL who wud want to go 2 ur lame country it sux LOL
06-13-2009 07:55 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

XplodingNoggin Wrote:ur cuntry SUX its lame and dusnt have Facebook or Bebo LOL who wud want to go 2 ur lame country it sux LOL

Lol, your country has a facebook?
06-13-2009 08:26 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

[srs mode]
Nope. Social networking sites are banned in AWESOMELAND.
[/srs mode]
06-13-2009 10:40 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I would join the country. Sounds like it would kick ass. I could be director of engineering. (I would consult with military director on were and how I should build bunkers and other military emplacements, and approve land use and building designs on the island.)

Had to move on. Account is dead.
06-14-2009 09:43 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Lets build Weapons of MASS CREATION!!!!!!

You can call me Apathy!
06-14-2009 12:22 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Um Im not sure if you mean sperm bombs or weapons of peace...

Had to move on. Account is dead.
06-14-2009 03:22 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

two central bunkers with a connecting tunnel would be good. and since a country that small could be bombed easily, don't bother with external long-range guns. install some sunken missile tubes under fake rocks. nothing fancy, just remote-guided solid fuel rockets with a basic fragmentation charge. buy some cheap cameras and put them on the nose, and direct them from inside the bunkers. once the island starts making more money, start building silos underwater. maybe even some submerged escape tunnels with a rapid-inflating life raft tied down at the end of each one.
i'm having way too much fun with this...

06-14-2009 11:55 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I like the underground tunnel system idea, what about an underwater tunnel system which leads out to several other islands? It should have heavily reinforced ceilings and escape pods every so often (in case of leak)

One of the islands should have an airbase carved into a cliffside. The system should also have several large rooms for storage and refuge

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-15-2009 03:02 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Wolfeh Wrote:Oh! You mean like those weird, old guys that fought in Vietnam? The kinda dudes that own pipe shops and tell you old stories about how they shot someone/something or blew up someone/something? The ones that are really paranoid about the government coming to arrest them, and take their pipes/bongs/guns/civil liberties away? The ones that don't really shave anymore, have a scruffy voice, and come off in a sorta intimidating, PTSD type of way?

I know those type of dudes! Biggrin They're pretty crazy! But in an interesting way!
If we want to build up a decent island, we'll need money. The best way to do this with a private island would be to offer a place for fishermen and freighters to rest, gamble, and get high without worrying about mainland law. If we don't have some sketchy people hanging around, they'll either think we're a sting operation or try to rip us off. Once we have enough money for a real defensive infrastructure, we won't need them anymore.

06-15-2009 04:27 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Okay cool. It just sounded like you weren't happy with the idea. Just a little miscommunication there, sorry about that.

I'll bet there are some folks on SS that would fit that description, minus the Vietnam thing.

06-15-2009 05:36 AM