RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depression in Young People: Cause of Antagonistic Society?
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Depression in Young People: Cause of Antagonistic Society?

I was lurking around in the Newgrounds forums, and I found a topic on depression:

lunaful Wrote:I think that our generation suffers from depression compared to genneratiosn before us.

Current statistics: One in ten may have a serious emotional problem. Among adolescents, one in eight may suffer from depression. Of all these children and teens struggling with emotional and behavioral problems, a mere 30% receive any sort of intervention or treatment. The other 70% simply struggle through the pain of mental illness or emotional turmoil, doing their best to make it to adulthood.

it seems that young people now a days are developing mental health issues, even talking to my parents who are both nurses in the mental health profession (one who specializes with children and teens) its becoming more and more prevalent.

Do you think that its relevant to us?
Dose it affect you?
Is it material or a deep seeded emotional problem?
Is it kids just acting out like "Emos" or kids that really need help?

And my reply was:

DSXTheGreatest Wrote:"Do you think that its relevant to us?"

To teens, yes. I don't know how badly the previous generation suffered depression, so I won't say we suffer more.

"Dose it affect you?"

I've been dealing with emotional suffering since kindergarten. It wasn't even the end of the first week before other kids started picking on me. It wasn't until I graduated middle school that all the torment ended. Now my source of emotional troubling comes from romantic pains, but I'm trying to fix that.

"Is it material or a deep seeded emotional problem?"

Depression...It already is an emotional problem. The seed was whatever event(s) it was that caused it.

"Is it kids just acting out like "Emos" or kids that really need help?"

To tell you the truth, I haven't met ONE emo on any of the five forums I'm a part of (including this one), or IRL. Depression can't be totally acted out, and if you pay attention you can tell the fakers from the ones who are actually depressed.

A reason why most kids and teens are getting more and more depressed these days likely comes from the pressure society has on them. I've dealt with it before, because I was always an outcast in school. I only had one true friend in elementary and middle school (each).

Other kids picked on me because I wasn't like them. I was a smart person, nearly pacifistic, quiet. They were loud, idiotic, and they didn't hold back on tormenting those outside the masses. As I was younger, I contemplated picking on other kids and acting more like them to be accepted, but internal struggle came in the fact that if I did so, I'd be betraying myself for them. That's not my way.

I decided to remain my own person, and because the fuckers didn't like it, they tormented me for years, effectively destroying my happy childhood (the four years I had before going to school), and making my mind a mess.

I had the option of going to a therapist, but my parents talked me into not doing it, and while they said they'd help me, the only "help" they gave me was sending me to the very place that caused all my suffering: school.

I still feel the pain to this day, sometimes in the form of mood swings, in which I feel like a worthless piece of shit (or whenever I get pissed off for little reason*).

I'm pretty sure that a lot of kids have been through this, or are going through it now. And this presents my statement: Society is a major contributing cause to depression, and other mental problems.

It's my belief that society is the cause of (at least nearly) all violence and suffering in the world. The masses place a whole load of expectations for the cattle, and those who follow are accepted and treated as brethren. Those who act on their own accord are the enemy. Society wages war with these individuals, aiming to destroy them emotionally, sometimes physically. They keep this up until somebody breaks and either the person or somebody else gets hurt or killed.

School is obviously a PRIME fucking example of this, and this war is the reason why most of us are here.

Yeah, I know I turned a discussion about depression in the young into a topic about how society is a major threat. But, I couldn't help but to bring up the fact that it's a contributing factor in all the chaos today. VERY rarely do you hear of someone killing himself for no reason. More than likely, there was a reason as to why he did it.

If you wanted to see the thread, here it is:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1085760

What are your thoughts on this?

P.S.: That small addition with the asterisk (*) at the end of the paragraph starting out with "I still feel the pain to this day" was something I didn't want to say on Newgrounds. I have my reasons.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
07-26-2009 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

What...The...FUCK?!?

Some Fucking Dipshit Wrote:I don't think so. In the past if you had a problem like depression you were a pussy and a fuck up, and no one took pity on you. Today its a fucking excuse to get out of shit and get on meds.

Edit: I calmed down and looked at the post intelligently. I still raged a bit. Depression isn't an excuse. It's a real fucking problem, but it looks to me as if he's saying it's just an act.

Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

07-26-2009 01:38 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: What...The...FUCK?!?

Dark Soul X Wrote:
Some Fucking Dipshit Wrote:I don't think so. In the past if you had a problem like depression you were a pussy and a fuck up, and no one took pity on you. Today its a fucking excuse to get out of shit and get on meds.

Edit: I calmed down and looked at the post intelligently. I still raged a bit. Depression isn't an excuse. It's a real fucking problem, but it looks to me as if he's saying it's just an act.

I facepalmed on this
But otherwise I agree with your view, like I usually do Smile

but I have a lacking ability to poke holes in plans and such, if you know what I mean

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-26-2009 03:27 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Re: Depression in Young People: Cause of Antagonistic Society?

I have nothing to add.

That guy who was a huge dick, did you reply to him?

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
07-27-2009 09:18 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

The Avenger Wrote:I have nothing to add.

That guy who was a huge dick, did you reply to him?

Yes.

DSXTheGreatest Wrote:That couldn't be any more wrong.

He never replied afterwards.

07-28-2009 03:32 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

More Fucking Proof.

Lurking the NG forums again, and look at what I dug up:

A Fucking Waste of Life Wrote:When people pick on you or try not to be your friend, 95% of the time its not because you are short or wear glasses. It is normally because you have some annoying personality things and odd interests that nobody cares about.

You don't know how to tell when nobody cares about what you are talking about, or that you never know when it is a time to shut up. Sometimes people don't want to hear you always talk or make a joke. Some people never talk to others, and people don't think you are shy... they think you are and asshole.

Now some people get teased because of acne, I dont have any acne trouble, but I do know people who do. This can be fixed with a $250 laser treatment that will make it a thing of the past. Save up your money, or just ask for it for Christmas or your birthday.

The last problem is clothes... now look at what the popular kid wear. It may be expensive and you can't afford it, just go to a couple of thrift stores and you can buy them there. I have a pair of American Eagle jeans that cost $50, you can get them at the thrift store for $5 like I did.

All of these things can be helped, so its your fault you are a nerd and people tease you.

More proof in my argument. It saddens me to know that the majority of NG's forum-goers are cattled assholes like this piece of shit.

Well, with this he helped me get my point across, but he still needs to be killed. Horribly.

What is it that makes people think like this? Just what is it that makes people so narrow-mindedly hostile towards those outside the masses?

07-28-2009 07:58 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

I have severe acne. It's so bad that not even laser treatments can cure it. I guess it's still my fault I'm teased, according to that asshole.

Also, I fail to understand what's so bad about being a nerd.
07-28-2009 01:45 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: More Fucking Proof.

Dark Soul X Wrote:Lurking the NG forums again, and look at what I dug up:

A Fucking Waste of Life Wrote:When people pick on you or try not to be your friend, 95% of the time its not because you are short or wear glasses. It is normally because you have some annoying personality things and odd interests that nobody cares about.

You don't know how to tell when nobody cares about what you are talking about, or that you never know when it is a time to shut up. Sometimes people don't want to hear you always talk or make a joke. Some people never talk to others, and people don't think you are shy... they think you are and asshole.

Now some people get teased because of acne, I dont have any acne trouble, but I do know people who do. This can be fixed with a $250 laser treatment that will make it a thing of the past. Save up your money, or just ask for it for Christmas or your birthday.

The last problem is clothes... now look at what the popular kid wear. It may be expensive and you can't afford it, just go to a couple of thrift stores and you can buy them there. I have a pair of American Eagle jeans that cost $50, you can get them at the thrift store for $5 like I did.

All of these things can be helped, so its your fault you are a nerd and people tease you.

More proof in my argument. It saddens me to know that the majority of NG's forum-goers are cattled assholes like this piece of shit.

Well, with this he helped me get my point across, but he still needs to be killed. Horribly.

That guy is absolutely pathetic. Like there's something wrong with someone if they don't fit the expectations of everyone around them. So stupid and ignorant, thinking that emulating the popular kids will somehow solve your problems. You're just pretending to be something you're not.

At least he has a fitting username.

Posts like that are why I don't join Newgrounds forums, bunch of internet tough guys that feel like they need to constantly fight over their e-penis size.

Quote:What is it that makes people think like this? Just what is it that makes people so narrow-mindedly hostile towards those outside the masses?

Ignorance. Sheer ignorance. It's as old as time, despising other people for trivial differences. It seems like a lot of people let their instincts control them, not thinking about what they say or do or caring if it makes any logical sense.
07-28-2009 02:36 PM
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Remember the atmosphere after 9/11? Anyone with a Muslim name was almost killed on the spot.
07-29-2009 04:47 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:
Quote:What is it that makes people think like this? Just what is it that makes people so narrow-mindedly hostile towards those outside the masses?

Ignorance. Sheer ignorance. It's as old as time, despising other people for trivial differences. It seems like a lot of people let their instincts control them, not thinking about what they say or do or caring if it makes any logical sense.

That's just sad. What an ever shallow world we live in. It sickens me so.

BobManPerson Wrote:Also, I fail to understand what's so bad about being a nerd.

Probably because we show more intelligence then they do. They probably fear us, unwilling to to accept that later in life they'll be our bitches.

07-29-2009 05:02 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I'm sad I didn't click this thread earlier.

People like this make me wanna get started on the internet asswhipper(Allows you to kick somebodies ass from accross the globe).

This invention would solve trolling, scammers and spammers.

Example:

Asswipe: heh I spammed those asshole losers.

Computer: you have mail.

Asswipe: huh?!

Asswipe gets punched out by a virtual fist.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-05-2009 04:43 AM
Kasha Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

That's just sad. What an ever shallow world we live in. It sickens me so.

BobManPerson Wrote:Also, I fail to understand what's so bad about being a nerd.

Probably because we show more intelligence then they do. They probably fear us, unwilling to to accept that later in life they'll be our bitches.

No they will never be our bitches later in life (damn!).....Because normally those sort of people don't live for very long.

Chickity China the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
Watchin' X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
Like Harrison Ford I'm getting frantic
Like Sting I'm tantric
Like Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy

Like Kurasawa I make mad films
Okay, I don't make films
But if I did they'd have a Samurai
Gonna get a set a' better clubs
Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs
Just so my irons aren't always flying off the back-swing
10-08-2009 09:11 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

That invention was a great idea but added nothing.

I'll admit youth have alot of pressures put on them now with unrealistic parents and their goals they want to achieve, Shunning from others(not just in school) and overall that whole you must succeed attitude from this society and all you get from succeeding is making some piece of shit even richer.

I can't wait to tell my kid(if I have one) that one day he'll be good enough to make some guy higher up in his company even richer.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-08-2009 09:54 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Things I get depressed of:

Having to go to school
Having to live with a government
My fucked social life
How many times I have fucked up in my life

[Image: glorious666.png]
10-10-2009 12:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Too young to understand politics? No, not young enough. SoulRiser 13 4,059 11-12-2008 10:40 AM
Last Post: thewake
  Young People For Doc Johnson 5 2,378 05-30-2008 01:57 PM
Last Post: Alucard483
  Why do the good die young? Darthmat 14 3,174 10-09-2007 12:34 PM
Last Post: udontmatter