RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Child" labor
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Re: "Child" labor

Weswammy Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:We're not talking about coal mines, we're talking about getting a decent job. If the boss is unfair, they can just quit.
*applause from capitalists*

That's why it's called a job market, not a slave market.

Heh, as of now.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-09-2010 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:We're not talking about coal mines, we're talking about getting a decent job. If the boss is unfair, they can just quit.

In a perfect imaginary world, sure. But come on. Do you honestly think that when bosses are suddenly able to employ second-class citizens, they won't try to exploit them? If a ten-year-old gets blacklisted, what is he supposed to do about it? Sue? What if his parents disagree with him?
Really, we shouldn't even be talking about this. Once minors have all the rights of a full citizen including suffrage and emancipation, then we can discuss labor reform. No sooner. Not unless you want to make things even worse.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-09-2010 01:16 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:

In a perfect imaginary world, sure. But come on. Do you honestly think that when bosses are suddenly able to employ second-class citizens, they won't try to exploit them? If a ten-year-old gets blacklisted, what is he supposed to do about it? Sue? What if his parents disagree with him?
Really, we shouldn't even be talking about this. Once minors have all the rights of a full citizen including suffrage and emancipation, then we can discuss labor reform. No sooner. Not unless you want to make things even worse.

This, the effects of such an action would be much worse than what you're saying/thinking.

Wastin' time
01-09-2010 01:19 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Do you honestly think that when bosses are suddenly able to employ second-class citizens, they won't try to exploit them?
What do you mean by exploitation?

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
01-09-2010 06:35 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:In a perfect imaginary world, sure. But come on. Do you honestly think that when bosses are suddenly able to employ second-class citizens, they won't try to exploit them? If a ten-year-old gets blacklisted, what is he supposed to do about it? Sue? What if his parents disagree with him?

There are legal adults out there that aren't capable of taking full available rights properly nor they are capable of using their advantages properly. There are several teenagers out there that could be capable of handling situations that adults goes through if they had the right to do so. After a certain age in the development of adolescence, the brain development, and the body developments only influence the capability of handling certain responsibilities. Despite the lack of full development of the brain and body, the psychological maturity influences the capability of handling certain responsibilities a lot more. There are several different examples out there that shows that age appears to be only a number,although age is a important factor that affects a lot of other areas.

Education and population control is the key to stabilize the status of many different places. Sadly, this country is considerably failing in helping population with their needed knowledge development, thus so many people who graduated are missing out on lots of important information. Also, population control in this country is mismanaged in certain areas. All of this helps support the idea that minors shouldn't have full rights when it comes to this kind of circumstances we're currently at.

ZZZ...
01-09-2010 07:56 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:What do you mean by exploitation?
I mean exploitation. Using and abusing them. Treating them like shit. Taking their rights. Preventing them from making their own choices. Etc. What is there to explain?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
01-09-2010 12:50 PM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

We're already legally analraped with a morning star without lube in schools now. If employers(who are known for mistreating even adults) would get a chance to contribute, the suicide rates would be as high as 50% of civilized population.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-09-2010 03:28 PM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Rebelnerd Wrote:I mean exploitation. Using and abusing them. Treating them like shit. Taking their rights. Preventing them from making their own choices. Etc.
This is obviously wrong. Nevertheless, labour laws also take away freedom from workers. You don't solve a lack of freedom with another lack of freedom.

01-10-2010 12:43 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , The man
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Labor laws aren't meant to take away workers' rights. If they do, then they're bad labor laws. So we won't support them and will only support the good ones. I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

01-10-2010 02:56 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Labor laws aren't meant to take away workers' rights. If they do, then they're bad labor laws. So we won't support them and will only support the good ones. I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

Some of us drop out before 18. Which means those of us can't apply to get jobs even when we have the desire and the time.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
01-10-2010 07:00 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

The only issue I can think of off the top of my head is parents using the kid to make money for them. Even a ten year old knows when he's getting screwed over. At least I know I did at 10.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
01-11-2010 03:42 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , The man
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:The only issue I can think of off the top of my head is parents using the kid to make money for them. Even a ten year old knows when he's getting screwed over. At least I know I did at 10.

Which is exactly what we would do, we'd make them work and take the money, of course, if the kid complains we just tell him its part of his responsibility.

Wastin' time
01-11-2010 03:43 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Brickwall That could be a problem. But I'm sure there could be some way around this. (Don't ask me, I sure as hell don't know)

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
01-11-2010 03:45 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:Brickwall That could be a problem. But I'm sure there could be some way around this. (Don't ask me, I sure as hell don't know)

The evil humanity can do knows no bounds.

Wastin' time
01-11-2010 03:47 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

There is a way around: postpone labor reform until the general youth rights movement is victorious.

01-11-2010 04:12 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:There is a way around: postpone labor reform until the general youth rights movement is victorious.

Yeah, if that ever happens.

Wastin' time
01-11-2010 04:13 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:There is a way around: postpone labor reform until the general youth rights movement is victorious.
There has to be a way that isn't so time consuming and dragged out. At least, I hope.

(Is impatient)

Faith o' Meter
01-11-2010 04:14 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:
There has to be a way that isn't so time consuming and dragged out. At least, I hope.

(Is impatient)

Lolno.

Humans are a hard thing to change.

ODE TO 1710 YEARS OF CHRISTIANITY.

Wastin' time
01-11-2010 04:16 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Rebelnerd Wrote:Labor laws aren't meant to take away workers' rights. If they do, then they're bad labor laws. So we won't support them and will only support the good ones. I'm not sure what your point is exactly.
I wasn't very clear. By "labour laws" I meant the laws which regulate labour beyond the point of basic property rights. For example, I oppose minimum wage and support the right to quit your job. Basically anything other than "the contract must be followed" takes away freedom from either employee or employer, usually both at the same time. So if a child is being treated like crap at work, but it isn't coercive, the child's only recourse may be to quit. On the other hand, if the child isn't being paid and is being threatened to keep working there, then there needs to be something done about that. If the labour market is opened to children, there would probably be unions and protective organizations for them. So long as it is voluntary I have no problem with that.

01-11-2010 10:58 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

But why are you so concerned with employer's rights? Their very nature puts them in a position of power over their workers, so naturally there needs to be a different, stricter, set of rules about how they can treat people. You can't just say "oh, anyone can quit whenever they want so everything's okay." People with power will do whatever they can to gain more power and you can't trust the lives of workers with something as simple and easily circumvented as the ability to quit. It's more complicated than just basic property rights.

01-12-2010 08:23 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

It's true that sometimes happens. The problem with your description of the market is that the free market does not allow the existence of a monopoly of these Machiavellian employers. Here's an example.

Bob is an asshole who owns a widget company. People work there because there's really no other place to go. Then, an entrepreneur named John opens up a widget factory next door. John is a pretty nice guy and the factory is less of a hellhole. Obviously, people would prefer to work there. Some of the widgetmakers working at Bob's factory are able to get away and work at John's, as well as some unemployed people. If you imagine there are many Bob's and many John's you'll see what I'm getting at. All else being equal, the good places to work will outcompete the bad places.

The important thing to recognize is that in the free market, cartels and other conspiratorial organizations are rare. On the other hand, there is no free market in the world. Governments often give special privileges to companies or sectors which often means a monopoly is created. It's never as simple as "opening up a widget factory" which means there are areas of the world where horrible conditions are forcefully imposed.

I am concerned with employer's rights as well as employees' rights because there is no difference between the two. People own themself and their property and the only ethical and just way to change that ownership is if it is voluntary or if you owe reparations for an act of injustice. The fundamental rights of property, homesteading, and contracts are the same between the boss and worker and are what allows the relationship to exist.

01-18-2010 10:42 AM
The man Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 104 thank(s) in 92 post(s)
RE: "Child" labor

(01-06-2010 08:37 PM)~Mystery~ Wrote:  That is why I strongly endorse shoplifting. Us minors can't even afford a loaf of bread despite working long and hard at school. Its amazing how no one even bats an eye at this issue.

their pee should hv been shot out like a ki blast breaking the rocks

oh and also No one has any rights. We're free, rights create invisible restrictions. But we live in a society where the majority accepts rights to be true.
05-22-2017 04:01 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)
"Child" labor

I could've sworn I replied to a thread like this a while back

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
05-22-2017 01:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Child Labor Laws Proudsadist 6 4,359 05-22-2017 01:58 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  School equals forced labor. fish20 14 5,588 02-06-2011 06:22 AM
Last Post: Rastko
  Child Abuse Document-Education and Child Welfare Reptorian 0 1,645 07-19-2010 06:29 AM
Last Post: Reptorian
  German Homeschooled Child Taken to Child Psychiatry Unit Abandoning Ship 9 4,175 02-11-2007 09:48 AM
Last Post: youvebeenthunderstruck