RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Educational Utopia. (An article I just wrote)
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
The Educational Utopia. (An article I just wrote)

In the hidden tags is the article I just wrote. It's my dream educational facility that could be implemented in place of school. I would like you to read it and work out problems you find in it. It's long as hell but have fun Smile I think I'll put it on my site when its finished...

Also, it's probably the longest anti-school article I've written so far.

Hidden stuff:
The Educational Utopia Facility
By: Absentinsomniac

The perfect educational institution in my opinion is as followed. It is possible to create it with a bit of work. With enough determination, something like it could be enacted, the problem is people seem to lack the motivation or maybe time to accomplish such a task. I gain my motivation for writing this article from the anti-school ideals. With that being said, I will begin.

What is education? I find it is difficult to accurately define education. It's almost developed into an opinion. Clearly the best way to achieve an education is to learn. Now we must define learning. I believe this accurately describes learning: To gain knowledge, comprehension, or mastery through experience or study... How do you go about gaining knowledge, comprehension or mastery through study? You study of course. So what is the definition of study? Studying is the pursuit of knowledge through any means possible.

So the ultimate question is this, what is the best way to learn or study a subject? Unfortunately another question has surfaced, a question that is without merit. This question has seldom been asked, and it disappointed me to hear. This question has been answered and incorrectly in my opinion and has taken over education throughout the world. This question disregards opinion of the learners. It disregards the hopes, dreams and aspirations of the learners. This question is “What should we force the students to learn?”. This question was not deliberately asked but in my mind it was asked.

I believe this is one of the main issues with education today. It has single handedly caused multiple problems in the educational system. It has undermined students rights, undermined students opinions, undermined students will. It has discouraged children from learning. It has destroyed people's natural desire to learn. It has forced students to memorize and learn things they have no desire to learn. It has forced students to learn what others have decided is in the best interest of a country. It has caused countless problems. It has made learning a set list of facts mandatory and has ruined education.

Now that we have discovered some of the issues with education today let's see what me and the other's in the anti-school community have come up with to change it. This article is not necessarily the idea of the anti-school community but It is certainly my opinion of the best possible education system and some would agree. First off the closest thing to a good education today is probably unschooling. The students of unschooling usually have a desire to learn, and have a desire to achieve goals. Why? I believe it is because they are learning what they want to learn when they want to learn it. It is a very good system. Students are not forced to learn but rather have a desire to do so. Students have a natural curiosity that todays schools kills. In my ideal school, this curiosity will be necessary.

In the Educational Utopia of my dreams the schools will change into huge library type institutions. They will have books on all subjects imaginable. If they do not hold a book they will certainly get there hands on it through trades with other libraries and institutions or purchase it. These institutions will either be government funded or will be privately owned industries. The books in this institution will be numerous and educational. Entertaining or purely factual. This will be, truly, a never ending source of knowledge. Expensive? Yes. Extensive? Definitely. Educational? More so than anything ever devised.

These institutions will also have extensive Internet access. Computers for study and learning. The Internet has become a huge knowledge base itself and it will not be overlooked. The Internet will be parentally available and students will use it at there own will to learn. Students will be able to research freely on there own time.

The facility will have teachers, yes, but they will not teach traditional classes. These teachers will teach classes that can be signed up for on the computers or on paper. These classes can last as long as a teacher wants and are not mandatory. The teachers can also hold lectures on a portion of a subject or a series of lectures on a subject. Students may attend if they wish but are not forced to do so. The quality of these teachers will not be as the teachers are today. These teachers will be skilled in there selected course. Age will not determine classes, only what the student wishes to take on. Teachers will not give out homework or classwork. These devices are only implemented to gauge students skill in a subject and that will not be necessary.

Obviously these facilities cannot be left alone, full of kids. These facilities will be staffed by security. Not police, not harsh controlling rules, simply security. The security will act much as a museums security acts. Preventing fights, theft, breaking things and preventing harassment. The security will have a secondary duty to keep the kids safe. There will be no 0-tolerance. Sure there can be metal detectors to prevent weapons from being brought in but only to the extent of a museum or other important place. Students will not be given dress-codes or strict rules. Students will be allowed to carry food utensils and the paranoia the world has today will not affect these institutions.

There will be a physical room, gymnasium and other facilities. They will be staffed with trained experts in training students. This will be to coach students in physical goals and to prevent them from injuring themselves on the equipment. Food will be used to help support the facilities financially. It will be served in an open cafeteria which will be staffed by teens who need a job or adults who need a job, much like a fast food restaurant but more like the traditional school lunch rooms. You can open an account for food and other necessities which will be sold throughout the building, such as school utilities, notebooks and other things necessary or wanted for learning. There may be some sort of shop were people can purchase things.

It will also offer technical school type places. These places will be for hands on job training. It will offer places such as automotive-training facilities and computer training areas. These will be staffed by instructors as well. This isn't so far fetched because I know of places specifically built for this purpose and my high-school allows students to join them during school hours.

Sports teams will be implemented if the students want. Student groups will be supported by the facilities.

These places will NOT be compulsory. Nothing within these schools will be mandatory. The students will have the sole discretion in what they learn and if they want a teacher. Many will want to shoot this idea down. Many will say that students won't learn anything if they aren't forced to do so. This is incorrect. As demonstrated by the unschooling community, students usually have a natural desire to learn. Students will eventually get curious about something and start to learn. The environment will support knowledge and learning which will help in students motivation to learn and teach themselves things.
These facilities will have art rooms, musical rooms and anything else desired by the students to learn. It will have recreational facilities to blow of steam and relax. If the students wish they can join group activities and group games. Students will be given the chief hand int here own education and will learn what they are interested in. In this type of an environment learning will be cool, learning will be encouraged and learning will pay off.

To fund these institutions it will either be taxpayers dollars or shops throughout the institutions. These institutions will be nonprofit and can be privately owned.

Please take this system into consideration and look for flaws in it. Add to it if you want. I want feedback and I want to work out problems that could be embedded into it. I may add to it periodically when I come up with an idea or two. Thanks for reading it.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-03-2010 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Re: The Educational Utopia. (An article I just wrote)

Very nice article, but I'm thinking putting in the fact that if there's any changes that anyone wants, both the teachers and students can vote, and all of them get equal rights, so it's not like the administration can just change whatever they want.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
02-03-2010 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

That's uncensored internet access, right?

The only good signature is a dead signature.
02-03-2010 01:19 PM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Well is there a work requirement just encase there happen to be the children that slack off? And how will this tie in with collages and jobs?

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
02-03-2010 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

The Desert Fox Wrote:Very nice article, but I'm thinking putting in the fact that if there's any changes that anyone wants, both the teachers and students can vote, and all of them get equal rights, so it's not like the administration can just change whatever they want.

Good idea. The students vastly outnumber the teachers. Never-mind, teachers and administration shouldn't be able to do anything the students hate and everyones vote should count equally. So good idea.

I'll add uncensored internet access as well.

And pockets I'm not sure about setting a working standard but I'll write about colledges and work... If kids have to do a certain amount of work it's compulsory and they aren't even being forced to go so why should working be mandatory? Besides its not like we learn anything IMPERATIVE to work later in life. That's all college.

I'll either add it now or tomorrow. Depends on weather I have to go to sleep or not.

I'm still open to more ideas.

Blog I post to now:

02-03-2010 01:42 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Updated version... I BOLDED WHAT I UPDATED FROM THE LAST VERSION!
Hidden stuff:
The Educational Utopia Facility
By: Absentinsomniac

The perfect educational institution in my opinion is as followed. It is possible to create it with a bit of work. With enough determination, something like it could be enacted, the problem is people seem to lack the motivation or maybe time to accomplish such a task. I gain my motivation for writing this article from the anti-school ideals. With that being said, I will begin.

What is education? I find it is difficult to accurately define education. It's almost developed into an opinion. Clearly the best way to achieve an education is to learn. Now we must define learning. I believe this accurately describes learning: To gain knowledge, comprehension, or mastery through experience or study... How do you go about gaining knowledge, comprehension or mastery through study? You study of course. So what is the definition of study? Studying is the pursuit of knowledge through any means possible.

So the ultimate question is this, what is the best way to learn or study a subject? Unfortunately another question has surfaced, a question that is without merit. This question has seldom been asked, and it disappointed me to hear. This question has been answered and incorrectly in my opinion and has taken over education throughout the world. This question disregards opinion of the learners. It disregards the hopes, dreams and aspirations of the learners. This question is “What should we force the students to learn?”. This question was not deliberately asked but in my mind it was asked.

I believe this is one of the main issues with education today. It has single handedly caused multiple problems in the educational system. It has undermined students rights, undermined students opinions, undermined students will. It has discouraged children from learning. It has destroyed people's natural desire to learn. It has forced students to memorize and learn things they have no desire to learn. It has forced students to learn what others have decided is in the best interest of a country. It has caused countless problems. It has made learning a set list of facts mandatory and has ruined education.

Now that we have discovered some of the issues with education today let's see what me and the other's in the anti-school community have come up with to change it. This article is not necessarily the idea of the anti-school community but It is certainly my opinion of the best possible education system and some would agree. First off the closest thing to a good education today is probably unschooling. The students of unschooling usually have a desire to learn, and have a desire to achieve goals. Why? I believe it is because they are learning what they want to learn when they want to learn it. It is a very good system. Students are not forced to learn but rather have a desire to do so. Students have a natural curiosity that todays schools kills. In my ideal school, this curiosity will be necessary.

In the Educational Utopia of my dreams the schools will change into huge library type institutions. They will have books on all subjects imaginable. If they do not hold a book they will certainly get there hands on it through trades with other libraries and institutions or purchase it. These institutions will either be government funded or will be privately owned industries. The books in this institution will be numerous and educational. Entertaining or purely factual. This will be, truly, a never ending source of knowledge. Expensive? Yes. Extensive? Definitely. Educational? More so than anything ever devised.

These institutions will also have extensive, uncensored, Internet access. Computers for study and learning. The Internet has become a huge knowledge base itself and it will not be overlooked. The Internet will be parentally available and students will use it at there own will to learn. Students will be able to research freely on there own time. It will be uncensored for multiple reasons and the pros out-way the cons. The cons include the administration censoring information that could be useful to students in there studies. It would also give the administration power to cut off information and give the students biased access to information.

The facility will have teachers, yes, but they will not teach traditional classes. These teachers will teach classes that can be signed up for on the computers or on paper. These classes can last as long as a teacher wants and are not mandatory. The teachers can also hold lectures on a portion of a subject or a series of lectures on a subject. Students may attend if they wish but are not forced to do so. The quality of these teachers will not be as the teachers are today. These teachers will be skilled in there selected course. Age will not determine classes, only what the student wishes to take on. Teachers will not give out homework or classwork. These devices are only implemented to gauge students skill in a subject and that will not be necessary.

Obviously these facilities cannot be left alone, full of kids. These facilities will be staffed by security. Not police, not harsh controlling rules, simply security. The security will act much as a museums security acts. Preventing fights, theft, breaking things and preventing harassment. The security will have a secondary duty to keep the kids safe. There will be no 0-tolerance. Sure there can be metal detectors to prevent weapons from being brought in but only to the extent of a museum or other important place. Students will not be given dress-codes or strict rules. Students will be allowed to carry food utensils and the paranoia the world has today will not affect these institutions.

There will be a physical room, gymnasium and other facilities. They will be staffed with trained experts in training students. This will be to coach students in physical goals and to prevent them from injuring themselves on the equipment. Food will be used to help support the facilities financially. It will be served in an open cafeteria which will be staffed by teens who need a job or adults who need a job, much like a fast food restaurant but more like the traditional school lunch rooms. You can open an account for food and other necessities which will be sold throughout the building, such as school utilities, notebooks and other things necessary or wanted for learning. There may be some sort of shop were people can purchase things.

It will also offer technical school type places. These places will be for hands on job training. It will offer places such as automotive-training facilities and computer training areas. These will be staffed by instructors as well. This isn't so far fetched because I know of places specifically built for this purpose and my high-school allows students to join them during school hours.

Sports teams will be implemented if the students want. Student groups will be supported by the facilities.

These places will NOT be compulsory. Nothing within these schools will be mandatory. The students will have the sole discretion in what they learn and if they want a teacher. Many will want to shoot this idea down. Many will say that students won't learn anything if they aren't forced to do so. This is incorrect. As demonstrated by the unschooling community, students usually have a natural desire to learn. Students will eventually get curious about something and start to learn. The environment will support knowledge and learning which will help in students motivation to learn and teach themselves things.

These facilities will have art rooms, musical rooms and anything else desired by the students to learn. It will have recreational facilities to blow of steam and relax. If the students wish they can join group activities and group games. Students will be given the chief hand int here own education and will learn what they are interested in. In this type of an environment learning will be cool, learning will be encouraged and learning will pay off.

To fund these institutions it will either be taxpayers dollars or shops throughout the institutions. These institutions will be nonprofit and can be privately owned. In order to keep these institutions what they started out to be students and teachers will have to vote on any changes in rules, regulations or other affairs. Students will play an active role in running the institution. Students aren't forced to attend so voting can be advertised in the communities.

Some may wonder what we will do about future careers and jobs along with college. With the abolishment of grades and schools employers will be forced to find other ways to determine if there employees are fit to work for there company. Other ways such as demonstrations of the persons individual skill, tests or other effective means. In my opinion colleges should adopt this sort of learning style as well. If they don't, they should be prepared to teach the students whatever is necessary for future careers and nothing else.

Please take this system into consideration and look for flaws in it. Add to it if you want. I want feedback and I want to work out problems that could be embedded into it. I may add to it periodically when I come up with an idea or two. Thanks for reading it.

Blog I post to now:

02-03-2010 02:01 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

[Image: Speed_Bump.jpg]
Bump.

But this bump has meaning. I re-wrote a lot of the article to make it sound better.
Thoughts?
Hidden stuff:
This article is going to outline what I believe to be the perfect educational facility. It would be the best suited for my needs, and quite possibly the needs of anyone who enjoys learning. I believe if students had a real desire to learn, this would be the perfect system for them. I strongly believe school kills the desire to learn, and if kids weren't predisposed to learning being a bad thing, they would do it autonomously. That being said let's get on with it.

What is education? I find it is difficult to accurately define education. It's almost developed into an opinion. Is it a wide range of skills or a vast amount of knowledge acquired through study? Is it mastering one subject to a point of which you can produce an income with it? Is it a number of these things? Either way, in order to get an education, you must learn.

So the ultimate question is this, what is the best way to learn or study a subject? Surely forcing students to memorize things, or learn things, is not the best way. Surely if you enjoy what you are learning, you will remember it longer, learn faster and have motivation to actually take your education into your own hands. So how do we get students to enjoy learning? Well, thats easy, we let them teach themselves what they are interested in. We let them research subjects they are interested in. No, forcing them into an institution to sit in classes and force them to study one subject at a time won't help, even if we give them the freedom to research on their own in that subject. They will still feel they are being forced, which unmotivates people.

I believe this is one of the main issues with education today. We are trying to force people to learn, and we expect them to willingly learn it. It has caused multiple problems in the educational system. It has undermined students rights, undermined students opinions, undermined students will. It has discouraged students from learning. It has destroyed people's natural desire to learn. It has forced students to memorize and learn things they have no desire to learn. It has forced students to learn what others have decided is in the best interest of a country. It has caused countless problems. It has made learning a set list of facts mandatory and has ruined education.

In the Educational Utopia of my dreams the schools will be re invented to become huge library-style institutions. They will have books on all subjects imaginable. If a student wants to read a book, the institution will attempt to purchase it or borrow it from another library. These institutions will be privately owned, or run by an organization. The books in these institutions will be numerous and educational, as well as uncensored; entertaining or purely factual. This will be, truly, a never ending source of knowledge. Expensive? Yes. Extensive? Definitely. Educational? More so than anything ever devised if the students have the will to learn independently.

These institutions will also have computers for study and learning as well as uncensored, Internet access. The Internet has become a huge knowledge base itself and it will not be overlooked. The Internet will be available to all students and students will use it at their own will to learn. Students will be able to research freely on their own time. It will be uncensored for multiple reasons and the pros out-way the cons. We don't need censorship, which could lead to biased education.

The facility will have teachers, yes, but they will not teach traditional classes. These teachers will teach classes that can be signed up for on the computers or on paper. These classes can last as long as a teacher wants and are not mandatory. The teachers can also hold lectures on a portion of a subject or a series of lectures on a subject. Students may attend if they wish but are not forced to do so. The quality of these teachers will not be as the teachers are today. These teachers will be skilled in their selected course. Age will not determine classes, only what the student wishes to take on. Teachers will not give out homework or classwork. These devices are only implemented to gauge students skill in a subject and that will not be necessary.

Obviously these facilities cannot be left alone, full of kids. These facilities will be staffed by security. Not police, not harsh controlling rules, simply security. The security will act much as a museums security acts. Preventing fights, theft, breaking things and preventing harassment. The security will have a secondary duty to keep the kids safe. There will be no zero-tolerance. Sure there can be metal detectors to prevent weapons from being brought in but only to the extent of a museum or other important place. Students will not be given dress-codes or strict rules.

There will be a physical room, gymnasium and other facilities. They will be staffed with trained experts in training students. This will be to coach students in physical goals and to prevent them from injuring themselves on the equipment. Food will be used to help support the facilities financially. It will be served in an open cafeteria which will be staffed by teens who need a job or adults who need a job, much like a fast food restaurant but more like the traditional school lunch rooms. You can open an account for food and other necessities which will be sold throughout the building, such as school utilities, notebooks and other things necessary or wanted for learning. There may be some sort of shop were people can purchase things as well.

It will also offer technical school type places. These places will be for hands on job training. It will offer places such as automotive-training facilities and computer training areas. These will be staffed by instructors as well. These institutions already exist, but are in combination with high-schools, or are used as secondary schools.

These places will NOT be compulsory. Nothing within these schools will be mandatory. The students will have the sole discretion in what they learn and weather or not they want a teacher or instructor. Many will want to shoot this idea down. Many will say that students won't learn anything if they aren't forced to do so. This is incorrect. As demonstrated by the unschooling community, students usually have a natural desire to learn. Students will eventually get curious about something and start to learn. The environment will support knowledge and learning which will help in students motivation to learn and teach themselves things. These facilities will have art rooms, musical rooms and anything else desired by the students to learn. It will have recreational facilities to blow of steam and relax. If the students wish they can join group activities and group games. Students will be given the chief hand in their own education and will learn what they are interested in. In this type of an environment learning will be cool, learning will be encouraged and learning will pay off.

To fund these institutions it will either be taxpayers dollars or shops throughout the institutions or a combination of the too. These institutions will be nonprofit and can be privately owned. In order to keep these institutions what they started out to be students and teachers will have to vote on any changes in rules, regulations or other affairs. Students will play an active role in running the institution. Students aren't forced to attend so voting can be advertised in the communities.

Some may wonder what we will do about future careers and jobs along with college. With the abolishment of grades and schools employers will be forced to find other ways to determine if their employees are fit to work for their company. Other ways such as demonstrations of the persons individual skill, tests or other effective means. In my opinion colleges should adopt this sort of learning style as well. If they don't, they should be prepared to teach the students whatever is necessary for future careers and nothing else.

Please take this system into consideration and look for flaws in it. Add to it if you want. I want feedback and I want to work out problems that could be embedded into it. I may add to it periodically when I come up with an idea or two. I am sure I have made a few grammatical errors, I would appreciate help with that as well. Thanks for reading it.

Blog I post to now:

03-10-2010 03:59 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Remember that spell check will not solve 100% of your errors.
You might think that perfect grammar-nazi spelling isn't necessary, but it might turn some people off..

Quote:In the Educational Utopia of my dreams the schools will be re invented to become huge library-style institutions: they will have books on all subjects imaginable. If a student wants to read a book, the institution will attempt to purchase it or borrow it from another library. These institutions will either be government funded or privately owned (you sure you want government funding? not very sure about this, but whatever. As long as the people get to choose; the government system right now sucks anyway). The books in these institutions will be numerous and educational, as well as uncensored; entertaining or purely factual. This will be, truly, a never ending source of knowledge.

Anyway, yeah, the new version sounds better. The mistakes are somewhat hard to see without looking right.

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-10-2010 04:50 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I was hoping you would post something like that.

I'll fix what I find. Then I'll keep looking.

Blog I post to now:

03-10-2010 04:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Educational Freedom Organization Proposal Absnt 14 5,696 04-18-2015 03:12 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  I guess creativity isn't educational. According to teachers, at least. Facehead977 29 4,181 11-07-2014 10:52 PM
Last Post: c00ldud3
Brick Educational Shock:The Effect of Socio-Cultural Politics on Schooling brainiac3397 7 3,623 09-13-2014 04:12 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  "you are interrupting the (bullcrap) educational process" Missile 2 2,542 03-09-2014 03:26 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Doing More Time in School: A Cruel Non-Solution to Our Educational Problems Miller0700 11 6,877 06-05-2012 03:40 AM
Last Post: kelby393
  The Educational Freedom Organizatoin -- What I'm thinking. Absnt 44 9,959 01-27-2012 02:08 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  Educational Terrorism (a rant) Chibi Moon Beam 6 3,302 04-04-2010 01:41 PM
Last Post: Swift