RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAT Scores, and theCancer continues to be wrong
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

So I just learned something about this guy Stanley Kaplan, the guy whose name is on SAT test prep guides.

So the SAT was supposed to measure Scholastic Aptitude, but as he went through the process of figuring out what gaps needed filling in people's knowledge he started shining a bit spotlight on the fact that the test, by being studiable, does not actually measure aptitude. people started getting higher scores based on preparation suggesting that, if it were truly measuring your potential, these books plus some time were increasing your "innate potential", meaning whatever "potential" they measure is not innate.

the greatest evil the aristocrats commit is the labeling of people. we commit injustice to ourselves by accepting these labels. A, B, C, its all such bullshit, and everyone knows it. all they serve is a social function

also this

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fre...evelopment

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 03:42 AM by the Analogist.)
06-12-2017 02:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
theCancer continues to be wrong

is this thread even actually about theCancer?

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-12-2017 03:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

RE: theCancer continues to be wrong

i yelled at him in an old thread and then yelled at him again in the psyche forum in a thread about "theCancer should STFU about wasted potential"

nobody else responded there, so i posted this more school talk topic here, but as a continuation of how he's wrong

Follow me on Twitter!
06-12-2017 03:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Why do you keep picking on TheCancer so much?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-12-2017 04:13 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

RE: SAT Scores, and theCancer continues to be wrong

it was because of the realization i originally posted, but then his responses suggested he didnt even know what I was talking about while at the same time trying to refute them.

the very subtle act of discrimination he was defending is something most people seem to take for granted. nobody has bothered to tell me where i'm wrong, so for want of driving the point home I thought I would post this relevant story and post it as a continuation of a thread that NOBODY else commented on.

whats the deal people? does anybody really take what you've accomplished to date as a mark of your innate potential? has anybody understood how this relates to my theory of knowledge/education?

why is nobody chiming in on this?

I also posted the CGP Grey video on how to maximize misery where one of those points was to aim for vague impossible to attain goals. school does this to people. theCancer has mentioned doing this.

I think its a major source of frustration for all of us, in school or out, everbody has unmet potential, but I dont think people have unequal potential, though I do agree some people are older than others

Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 05:38 AM by the Analogist.)
06-12-2017 05:34 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

so i definitely imagined that other people would chime in and there would be a debate or something.

I guess im just done saying any of this

Follow me on Twitter!
06-12-2017 12:15 PM
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

About the potential thing...

I know I have a certain capacity to do things; for example, I know I can paint, draw, art a reasonably good scenery, or trees or flowers. But I don't. I know I can play the first movement of Moonlight Sonata mostly correctly, but I don't.

I know I have the ability to get better at both these things, if I put in the effort...but then again I don't.

People have potential, (an ability to do things, or maybe a possibility of being able to do things better,) and while I agree that nobody should dictate what you do with yours, I kind of get what someone might be referring to when they use the term "wasted potential".

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
06-13-2017 02:19 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

I agree with that, but to the extent that this "potential" idea is manipulated to coerce a student to try harder, or to the extent that it produces vague and therefore unattainable goals, i say it is a wasted thought.

everybody has potential, but giving unequal amounts of help and encouragement is good for nobody. THATS my issue. the oh so common different treatment of people based on their perceived innate value

Follow me on Twitter!
06-13-2017 02:37 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , Rule_BreakerXVIII
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:everybody has potential, but giving unequal amounts of help and encouragement is good for nobody. THATS my issue. the oh so common different treatment of people based on their perceived innate value
But people are different and have different needs... should we ignore that, and insist on treating everyone exactly the same, and hold them to the same standards?

Like, don't hold the door open for the old man with no arms, he should get the same treatment as everyone else. Just drive over the blind lady, she should know better than to walk in front of cars, because people with vision can see them... Make the math genius kid do the math exercises just as many times as the other kids, even though he's clearly bored out of his mind and wants to move on to more interesting things...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-14-2017 05:56 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

"...based on their perceived INNATE value."

how does nobody get what im saying?

Im talking about the social seeds that plant the aristocracy. some are better, some have less potential. help the strong bridle the weak. THIS is what happens when we give unequal amounts of help to people based on what we see as their potential. im talking about labeling people as bright or dumb and treating them in accordance with those labels.

Follow me on Twitter!
06-14-2017 07:57 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

Quote:But people are different and have different needs... should we ignore that, and insist on treating everyone exactly the same, and hold them to the same standards?

I don't think that's what Analogist meant. For example, (this has happened quite a few times to me in school) teachers used to poke and prod me into doing my work when I clearly didn't want to, while another kid who wanted to do his work but couldn't understand the material (and thus actually needed help) languished in the background.

And when I -or anybody else- pointed this out, we were told to shut up and do our work; those poor kids included. Fucking ageists.

This is what he was trying to say; discrimination b/c someone is perceived as "brighter" and thus more deserving of attention, whether they want/need it or not.

A good teacher would see everyone in their classroom and pick out between those who need help v.s. those who don't; not those who are "smart" and those who aren't.

Quote:but to the extent that this "potential" idea is manipulated to coerce a student to try harder, or to the extent that it produces vague and therefore unattainable goals, i say it is a wasted thought.

My teachers did try that on me. Their efforts were futile.Mwahaha

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
06-17-2017 02:46 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , the Analogist
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Thank you so much!!

there is no way that from among this group nobody knew what I was talking about

Follow me on Twitter!
06-17-2017 05:24 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

lol @ this thread title

I think I get your point. I'm not going to bother getting all analytical about it. Of course, there are many things I could've done better. To my credit, sometimes I did a good job. It's not theory in the class; it's application. I look at a situation and either try to address it or decide to ignore it. Almost anything can be improved on. Sorry if you're disappointed I'm not addressing your topic directly.

I actually took a course and raised my SAT score way back in the day. I have no idea what it measures and I don't remember ever stating that I put any stock in it.

Secretly, I'm proud of how high my score was but don't tell anyone.

I'm smart!

Sorry for trolling a little.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-20-2017 05:58 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

i took the ACT. i got 19 I think

an associates and a bachelors degree later, my 19 still stands. Ha! and my brother had better grades and tests and he didnt get into the school I did.

its all such horeshit. aristocrats try desperately to justify their status.

Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 06:35 AM by the Analogist.)
06-20-2017 06:34 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

19???

I take it you weren't on scholarship!

Captain Beefheart
06-20-2017 08:13 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

rich grandparents.

19. because I wanted to know how well school prepared me.

THAT a test CAN be studied for, means BY DEFINITION it measures NOTHING which is INNATE.

Follow me on Twitter!
06-20-2017 11:27 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I understand that bro

I think I posted something about standardized tests or some kind of assessment that ticked you off

I honestly think you're dead on

I also think you wrote some stuff that I should read my closely

I'm sort of sick of thinking about work so I'm just gonna chill for a while.

I don't want you to be angry. Sorry for making that scholarship crack. I was feeling snarky. It's not a bad score and like you say it doesn't really measure intelligence or even aptitude.

Peace bro

Captain Beefheart
06-20-2017 01:39 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

I wish you could find a better job because just thinking about it sounds painful to you.

Follow me on Twitter!
06-20-2017 06:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Helping theCancer plan his lessons the Analogist 1 2,640 05-31-2017 11:17 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  "stop making grades and scores their measure of self worth" xcriteria 1 2,235 11-08-2014 09:43 AM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  So I recieved my GED scores today. Night 32 23,153 02-03-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  "Improving Learning" = Higher test scores Trekkie_Aspie 49 26,058 10-08-2013 08:06 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  TheCancer's Signature Prince Rilian 30 14,580 10-24-2011 02:58 PM
Last Post: Efs
Sad SAT Scores Miller0700 17 11,248 10-21-2011 10:03 AM
Last Post: cp
  ACT Scores and Heat Aviator 11 5,228 12-13-2009 12:59 AM
Last Post: TheCancer