RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Do you think this is a big deal?
What on Earth are you upset about?
This is not a big deal, I mean it's just 1 character.
Yeah, this could be dangerous.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple plans to automatically alter the meaning of your messages without notice
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

https://blog.emojipedia.org/apple-and-the-gun-emoji/

Emojipedia Wrote:Apple announced a number of changes to their emoji set this week, including better representation of women, single-parent families, and a pride flag.

Many of these additions were met with a mixed reaction, but none has generated more feedback than this:

[Image: Co0Sdc5WYAQ4rDV.jpg]
https://twitter.com/Emojipedia/status/76...1295227905

[Image: gun.png] Pistol emoji has changed from a realistic-looking gun in iOS 9.3 to a bright green toy water gun in the iOS 10 beta.

In the history of running Emojipedia, I have never seen an emoji change so poorly received.

And this isn’t even in the hands of most people yet: it's is only a beta.

Feedback

Feedback for the change of falls into broad categories:
  • Ridicule “this is dumb”
  • Disinterest “who cares, what’s the point”
  • Snark “what’s next, the poo emoji?”
  • Frustration “Political Correctness GONE MAD”
  • Concern “won’t this be confusing?”
  • Anger “how DARE Apple take away our gun emoji”
I know as well as you do that the internet can be a snarky place.

Changes about anything draw negative criticism, cheap pot shots, and in the case of harassment, much worse.

Just because a lot of people complain about something, it doesn’t mean they are right.

[Image: ios-9-10-emojipedia-pistol.jpg]

Not Just Apple

The real issue here is that emoji is bigger than Apple. Or to put it more succinctly, this is dangerous:

[Image: emojipedia-pistol-emoji-cross-platform.png]

If Apple goes ahead with this change in the public iOS 10 release, one person could innocently tweet a toy and have that be seen by others as a weapon.

This is a problem.

All other vendors display this emoji as a real gun. Even if they all decided to follow-suit and change to a water or toy gun (which could happen, if Apple sticks with this), the change would take a considerable amount of time.

By comparison, if you tell people to bring a snack using the [Image: cookie.png] cookie emoji, and Galaxy users bring you saltine crackers, that’s a shame, but nothing more.

[Image: emojipedia-cookies-emoji-cross-platform.png]

There is also the matter of backward-compatibility, which is a lesser issue in terms of danger, but equally confusing for end users.

[...]

Dead This is scandalous. Imagine you send to your parents "We're having a [water pistol emoji] fight Biggrin" and then it arrives as "We're having a [pistol emoji] fight Biggrin". What would they think?

Or even worse: "Help there is a shooting I am hiding myself! [pistol emoji] Send help!" and then it arrives as "Help there is a shooting I am hiding myself! [water pistol emoji] Send help!".

Have they forgot that phones are for communication?!

What's affected:
  • Messages sent or received by an iPhone
  • Messages sent over shitty WhatsApp
  • Messages sent over Telegram
  • Messages sent over Signal
  • Probably more
All of these use this emoji set. It hasn't been updated with this change yet but if you have an iPhone with iOS Beta you can already test this out.

I've sent the creator of Signal an e-mail about this and they gave a sarcastic reply "Thanks for the feedback and concerns over a specific emoji.".

How significant is it that the software of your phone just alters the meaning of your messages without your knowledge? And people really think this will just be 1 character and it won't become more, as if 1 character isn't an issue already? Stabhead
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 08:54 PM by sswbm.)
09-01-2016 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , SoulRiser , Superkamiguru , Deleted
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Apple is dumb.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-01-2016 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , Ky
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

RE: Apple plans to automatically alter the meaning of your messages without notice

(09-01-2016 10:58 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Apple is dumb.

Messaging providers are also dumb for still using Apple's emoji set even though plenty of alternatives exist.
09-02-2016 06:57 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
RE: Apple plans to automatically alter the meaning of your messages without notice

All this said, if you use emoji to call for help during a shooting, you are kind of too dumb to live.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
09-02-2016 07:47 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(09-02-2016 07:47 AM)no Wrote:  All this said, if you use emoji to call for help during a shooting, you are kind of too dumb to live.

"Help there is a shooting [Image: gun.png] I am hiding myself! Send help!"

is maybe a tiny little bit more clear than

"Help there is a shooting, I am hiding myself! Send help!"

Anyway of course you probably wouldn't search for an emoticon in an emergency situation, I was just trying to illustrate how randomly replacing things can cause misunderstandings.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 08:11 AM by sswbm.)
09-02-2016 08:03 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Useless change. It's like somebody wanted to show that they're doing something worthwhile and came up with this terrible idea just to look busy.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-02-2016 09:39 AM
 Thanks given by: no