RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I will PROVE that I am AWESOME!!
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
I will PROVE that I am AWESOME!!

Sometimes when I am sitting on the crapper I am also giving a lecture to some imaginary audience. My wife gets pissed if I do this sort of thing when I lay down for bed...

I like to start with some tacky slogan and elaborate on why it is the best thing ever.

My rhyming explanation for why I like Bernie Sanders is this:
Between greed and need, there have been far too many middle ground compromises. And even if he loses every battle, I wanna see that fight. I want everyone's colors to be revealed.

Howard Zinn is one of my favorite historians because he calls attention to such fights. Before youtube apparently took down the complete documentary "the People Speak"... or did I get that from Vimeo??... I downloaded a copy and converted it to mp3 for my car ride one time.

The interest of wealthy is often but not always their wealth. When it is greed that policy decisions are based on you get "stability", in that strikes, unionizing, and other forms of rebellion are no longer happening. Two major factors bring about stability, (1) the preservation of something "good-enough" and (2) effective divide and conquer. Divide and conquer is in its most basic meaning keeping people from being each other's friends.

minimum wages and govt requiring payment to healthcare companies are good examples of "good-enough". Food stamps to subsidize corporate stinginess is also a good example. Competition in the work environment needs no explanation, but the effect of filtering everything to the top ensures that very few are capable of really choosing what to do with themselves. Being stuck paying rent because you can't for whatever reason afford to buy and save your money to afford future freedom is an institution that keeps many down. Even if you own your own trailer, land they let you keep it on is hard to come by since it gets bought up and rented, so hardly any help there.

Obtaining and exploiting leverage is the American way many too stupid to doubt the news live their lives. I have met engineering students and scientists who mock the interests and concerns of humanities students like I was. I kind of realized the other day that those guys I met are the very people who late in life say "where should we put this toxic waste?" to which the reply is "this river is pretty big, fuck it"

crassness is bred somewhere in major precincts of our society and it filters its way to the top quite regularly it seems. ConAgra got busted once for praying their wheat with water so it would weigh more... Question, did the guys who have that job get decent salaries prior?

Companies are abstract ideas given realities by humans who for some reason like to hoard, exploit, steal (when possible), and strut around like they've earned every damn thing for themselves. Eisenhower!? No, ease of ground transportation is a totally unfair example to credit to walmart's success, no no no.

The western world since roman times has viewed the state as the community according to Carroll Quigley. This is why taxes exist. Those with more than they need owe a tribute to what should be a customer service institution attempting to deal with the various issues. What is inefficient in the government sector is just as inefficient in the private sector. Making sure nobody on the sales floor can answer your question, or that the line at the DHS is super freaking long, is there any difference?

Government by the apathy of the people, and worry of government employees for political backlash have allowed the meanest, most vindictive to run things.

My biggest complaint against unions is the lack of exerting meaningful control over the operations of business. Hey United Auto Workers, your bosses lost it at the track and your cars have been sucking for years. What will you do, ask for raises? (low blow?)

If working at macy's taught my anything else (it didn't) its that paying workers nowhere near enough to actually be customers then there will forever be a time clock above your head. I mean everything rises and falls, but do we have to be vindictive and grumpy the whole time?

Somebody needs to be calling out the villains in this battle against the common people which has always been waged in this country. creating your own business and replacing walmart with a new workforce of people who care and have a voice is something that will take much longer to build than walmart, and the fact is it probably won't end up looking like walmart because sensible people don't build empires, they create communities which inspire others to follow their example.

Nonetheless, while those of us, especially on SS, work towards this bright tomorrow, there is a fight to be fought. The right to respect and humane treatment regardless of money or religious importance*.

*see:
Nick Hanauer
"It is only a small step from 'job creator' to 'the creator'"

Watch on YouTube

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
03-03-2016 04:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no