RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking in a homeless person?
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

Given 29 thank(s) in 20 post(s)

Has anyone here thought of taking in and/or has taken in a homeless person? I always hear about homelessness in first world countries(I don't live in the States by the way, but I've visited there, and even lived there for a few years!), but no one thinks about taking them in! I bet if people started taking in homeless people today, I bet we would barely have any homeless people on Earth.

http://telekommunisten.net/the-telekommunist-manifesto/
The telekommunist manifesto
http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/
Anarchist archives
https://www.marxists.org/archive/lafargue/1883/lazy/
The Right to Be Lazy, Paul Lafargue(An early marxist).
09-25-2015 03:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)
RE: Taking in a homeless person?

No but I think it's a very altruistic act that I wouldn't mind doing, I think homeless people are judged and treated with pity as if they are no longer a part of society.
09-25-2015 03:31 AM
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

I haven't taken in a homeless person in either, but I would love to as well.

Anarchist archives
09-25-2015 04:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Kind of like adopting a human. Razz

Though I wouldn't want to invite a random stranger to live with me... I'd have to get to know them reasonably well first.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-25-2015 04:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I would... but I'm 14 and there are very few/none in my town (I live in a VERY rich suburb, though I'm not that rich). Also my mom would probably never do it.

Also, like SoulRiser mentioned, I would also have to get to know them somewhat.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
09-25-2015 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Nope. Probably not. I might show them proper Turkish hospitality if they come a knocking, but I wouldn't go so far as to allow them to stay.

I view my home as a private castle, and am quite against having folk I don't know in my home. I especially hated that pig who rented a room at our home over the summer.

Course don't think I'm against homeless folk. I also hate the "anti-homeless" measures someplaces take. IMO public places should not be so discriminatory. No one chooses to be homeless by choice.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-25-2015 09:32 AM
Schwag Offline
Banned

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Almost every homeless person in this city is very clearly mentally ill and/or addicted to drugs.. not the type of people i want living in my house, especially if i don't know them. i always give homeless people my spare change and a cigarette or two when asked though.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015 05:49 PM by Schwag.)
09-26-2015 05:48 PM
 Thanks given by: thewake
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Some homeless folk are a bit suspicious too. Some seem to be content with the lifestyle(oddly). Do they lose their work ethics or something? I'll never know.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
09-27-2015 06:15 AM
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

I'd always take in a homeless child/homeless teen if I could though.

Anarchist archives
09-28-2015 03:10 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Lots of homeless in NYC. I wonder if they have any talents I could capitalize on...(clearly they'd benefit too)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-28-2015 08:42 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I've always been fascinated by the disenfranchised, the lost, the wandering. Camping on curb-sides, re-purposing castles out of cardboard. It should be said though that "homeless" is really a poor word to describe their situation. Language is ever important and "Houseless" seems a better way to describe their situation. It's difficult to summon the courage to really speak with someone whom you've prejudged, you smell their struggle and see the danger of someone with nothing to lose.

Generally though and I do hate to generalize, they fall into categories. People with obvious mental health issues that should be receiving some sort of treatment but don't have the support network to be set up, or someone banished from society to the point where they cannot get the investment to start their lives anew. This most commonly occurs with people whom have criminal records for small crimes like possession of drugs, petty theft, ect and as such the world turns their back on them. They cannot apply for housing as most landlords don't want to risk drug networks being set up on their property and this includes housing especially set aside for ex-criminals as they would be statistically more likely to have drug related problems.

In the case of these banished people, its difficult for them to reintegrate. Even if you should go out of your way to put them up for awhile. Once you've been as dismissed as they have, been treated as less than a person for so long, discarded and abused. The wounds never fully heal. I'm not saying that you shouldn't help the houseless. It is important and noble, but just a place isn't enough; you need to be able to give them the respect and hope they need in a tangible way.

It's a great deal of responsibility, and apathy is the tool we use to handle responsibility daily. It's how we manage to live in a world where children die daily from hunger and extremely preventable diseases.

If you are serious about helping though, contact charities in your area that help the homeless. People can really surprise you when you dilute the apathy in a group.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
09-28-2015 04:26 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

By the way, I was in NYC on sunday and saw some dude holding a sign asking for money. Funny part was what sign said. "Need money for weed. Aint no point in lying".

I recall a segment on NPR where some guy invented something for doctors or dentists or whatever and became wealthy. However bad financial decisions in real estate (right before the 2008 decline) and a scam caused him to go down the drain. Then his wife divorced him and debt forced him out of his home. He ended up homeless and one night got jumped in a park where they beat him unconcious before stealing whatever he on him.

What changed his life was a doctor after visiting the emergency room. During casual chat he told the doctor he invented the very device the doc was using and the doc was surprised(and thought it was a waste to have an inventor out on the streets). Ended up helping him get on his feet with his patents and the guy invented some sort of 6ft x 6ft survival pod for temporary shelter or something.

So beware that homeless is not an occupation(for most, there might legitamtely be some "professional hobos" out there...) IMHO the homeless folk you see are wasted labor. If I had the money (not much, just sufficient cash from stable income likely through a business venture of mine) Id certainly be checking these folk out to see if theres someway to help rebuild their lives (and make a profit for themselves and me). Unfortunately people are more inclined to ignore the homeless than think of how to productively utilize them.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-29-2015 12:01 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

We have nomads, and in many definitions, being "nomadic" is being homeless. There are lots of nomads out there doing just fine!

Anarchist archives
10-06-2015 02:15 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Nomads do have homes, and have jobs that sustain them. Homeless have no home, and either no job or a job that doesnt sustain them.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2015 03:09 AM
Shuggy Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

No. I dont know why they are homeless and can be dangerous.
11-09-2015 08:29 PM
schoolsux Offline

(11-09-2015 08:29 PM)Shuggy Wrote:  No. I dont know why they are homeless and can be dangerous.

Depending on why they are homeless. If one is addicted to speed, crack, alcohol and tobacco, I would never take them in. If they were laid off, but they are decent (and not addicted to drugs, the exceptions being weed and tobacco), I would bring them in.

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-10-2015 10:37 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

homeless people are literally stray cats and the best thing is to let them into our homes

nevermind litter training them

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-10-2015 03:38 PM
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

If they were already my friend, fine. But letting random people live in your place is a good way to get your shit stolen.
11-11-2015 04:50 AM
schoolsux Offline

(11-11-2015 04:50 AM)Dead Wrote:  If they were already my friend, fine. But letting random people live in your place is a good way to get your shit stolen.

Why the fuck does that guy have a big thing of fudge?

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-11-2015 08:04 AM
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

(11-09-2015 08:29 PM)Shuggy Wrote:  No. I dont know why they are homeless and can be dangerous.

The same thing could be said about any person who has a home or owns multiple homes.

Anarchist archives
11-11-2015 08:06 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(11-11-2015 08:04 AM)schoolsux Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:50 AM)Dead Wrote:  If they were already my friend, fine. But letting random people live in your place is a good way to get your shit stolen.

Why the fuck does that guy have a big thing of fudge?

Hilarious
11-11-2015 08:20 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(11-11-2015 08:04 AM)schoolsux Wrote:  Why the fuck does that guy have a big thing of fudge?

He's a fudgepacker.
11-13-2015 04:49 AM
schoolsux Offline

Fudge referring to shit for those who don't know.

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-13-2015 08:44 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(11-13-2015 08:44 AM)schoolsux Wrote:  Fudge referring to shit for those who don't know.

Yeah, I think we all got that.
11-13-2015 08:52 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(11-11-2015 08:06 AM)ComradeDaryl Wrote:  

The same thing could be said about any person who has a home or owns multiple homes.

I don't know why people who own homes are homeless?

Actually, yes. Closer to "I don't understand how to even sentence" but it counts.

#GrammarNaziParty.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
11-13-2015 11:15 AM
schoolsux Offline

(11-13-2015 08:52 AM)Dead Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 08:44 AM)schoolsux Wrote:  Fudge referring to shit for those who don't know.

Yeah, I think we all got that.

That's what I thought, but for those who aren't at all intelligent...

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-13-2015 01:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Person to person debates. Absnt 22 10,244 12-23-2011 02:20 AM
Last Post: aCol
  Catholic Church Threatens To Stop Feeding Homeless Over Gay SoulRiser 16 2,597 11-18-2009 03:23 PM
Last Post: monkey