RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 Reasons Students Should Go on Strike
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Source: 10 Reasons Students Should Go on Strike - Finding Common Ground - Education Week

Quote:There is a lot going around social media about teachers in Seattle who are striking because of unfair evaluation practices...among other issues. These strikes taking place are around serious issues....issues that educators have been being vocal about for years. What's happening, specifically in Seattle, is very raw and for most educators the thought of striking is uncomfortable at best. It has us thinking about our students.

What if students could strike?

Over the years students have become much more passive. They sit at desks, and in many cases, are expected to listen and do what they are told without question. In some classrooms it is commonplace to question the learning taking place in classroom. In others, question may not be allowed at all.

Students continue to have information shoved at them, and are sometimes ignored when they want something different. Sure, there are times when that can be blamed on accountability and mandates, which teachers cannot always control. Those rules have been the epitome of compliance. Other times, however, it is merely due to the way education has always been.

When we think of teacher evaluation being attached to point scales, we should not forget that students have their entire educational success based on evaluations tied to point scales and tests which are no more than a moment in time, and don't accurately measure what a student will do in the future. We all suffered from the same issue. The insanity of unfair evaluation practices and lack of voice has been happening to students a lot longer than to teachers...and yet no strike from students?

Now, teachers are being evaluated the same way as students and their voices are being thwarted and it doesn't feel good. Perhaps it makes teachers think back to when they were sitting behind the desk as a student instead of standing in front of all of them as a teacher?

There are so many educators who want something more for their students. They work hard. They are innovative and help foster classrooms that focus on social-emotional, as well as, academic learning. Those teachers and school leaders have their students engaged in collaborative learning opportunities. They are involving students in real decision making efforts. They are expecting students to be productive members of the educational community. These progressive educators are operating in an educational system built on trust and responsibility and not one of accountability and fear.

Those educators and leaders want their students to stand up, speak out, and be heard. They want and expect more from the entire student body.

The whole concept of voice in schools centers around, not always believing you need to get what you want, but at least having a place at the table and being responsible for what you say. Too many students are taught about compliance and not enough about using their voice in meaningful and productive ways. We need to find a balance between teaching students how to be successful in school, without losing their independence and feeling compliant in order to survive in our educational system.

There are at least 10 reasons students should strike. They are:

1. Test Prep - Months before high stakes testing happens, students have to do test prep after test prep. That is mind numbingly boring! And it does nothing to prepare them for the future.

2. Testing - For at least one hour a day over a period of weeks, students have to take ELA, math and science state exams, which never really give them any feedback on learning. They are slapped with a score that is never really explained to them, which is more of a state issue than a school issue. Tests are used to sort students into groups that are supposed to provide them with help that they may or may not need because that grouping is based on one moment in time from how they did on a test. The Seattle teachers boycotted this last year.

3. Their perspective - What do students want to learn about? What do they have on their minds? Their perspective is used as an excuse for why we ignore student surveys. We simply say we don't have to listen to the surveys because they are the students' perspective. That's exactly why we should listen! It doesn't mean we can always meet their desire, but at least let them understand why.

4. Sit & Get - We would strike if we had to enter a classroom every morning, or multiple classrooms each day, and wait to find out what we will learn and then be taught the exact same way every day. It's why adults hate most professional development but we do it to our students.

5. Lack of connection between what they are learning and their everyday lives - Why are we learning this? This question has been probably happening for centuries! Why can't they experience cool learning like Pixar in a Box or other creative ideas that would maximize learning.

6. No one knows students hopes and dreams. If we are to ever connect with students we need to know something about them. According to Quaglia and Corso's research, only 34% of students believe teachers know what they want for their future.

7. Lack of personal care. 45% of students don't think teachers care about them as an individual (Quaglia & Corso). We do things for people that believe in us, that we care about, that have high expectations for us. How can we expect students to give 100% effort when half the students don't think we even care about them?

8. No one listens. Students have something to say and all students have something to teach us, yet only 52% of students believe teachers are willing to learn from them.

9. They have no voice in decision-making - We don't involve students in decision making. We just tell them after a decision has been made and expect them to follow without question! Do you know that when students have a voice they are 7 times more likely to be academically motivated to learn (Quaglia & Corso)?

We think the biggest reason they should strike is #10

10. Because they can! - There are more of them than us! During the 60's and 70's we saw student protests in higher education and many changed not only what was happening in colleges and universities but had a profound impact on society in general, from civil rights to the Vietnam war.

The voices of students were heard because they stood up for something that was greater than themselves. Those students had a sense of purpose. Those students had a conviction and passion for something better. Those students made a difference. Those students didn't always worry about being compliant, because they knew there was more to life than that.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-23-2015 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , awesomejuan36912 , Ilija.m
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)
RE: 10 Reasons Students Should Go on Strike

Yeah, we should go on a strike, sometimes force is the only way to get something accomplished. But strikes are more effective when way too many people join it. How are we going to start a large munity?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 06:29 AM by Cianna200.)
09-23-2015 06:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

(09-23-2015 06:27 AM)Cianna200 Wrote:  Yeah, we should go on a strike, sometimes force is the only way to get something accomplished. But strikes are more effective when way too many people join it. How are we going to start a large munity?

Flyers would be a good way to start. Very convincing flyers.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
09-23-2015 07:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Schools are archaic and unnecessary. If I want to learn something, I can access information on the subject whenever I want, since I just so happen to have regular access to the internet. That's what always irked me about school. I recognized that my time was being wasted on subjects I typically didn't enjoy doing busy work which prevented me from persuing my own interests, and that's as fine a reason to protest as any. Their time is being wasted against their consent 7 hrs a day 5x a week.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
09-23-2015 08:10 AM
 Thanks given by: schoolsux , Superkamiguru
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

I really wonder if a YouTube video will help along with tweeting and Facebooking and usin a hashtag to spread the message.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
11-01-2015 12:34 PM
schoolsux Offline

(11-01-2015 12:34 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  I really wonder if a YouTube video will help along with tweeting and Facebooking and usin a hashtag to spread the message.

It should. #StudentStand

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-01-2015 01:40 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(11-01-2015 01:40 PM)schoolsux Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 12:34 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  I really wonder if a YouTube video will help along with tweeting and Facebooking and usin a hashtag to spread the message.

It should. #StudentStand
I was thinking a combo of #StudentsStrike and #AbolishCompulsorySchooling (the last one would mainly be for my movement though haha).

11-01-2015 03:25 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

#SchoolRuinsLearning

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-05-2015 07:42 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(11-05-2015 07:42 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  #SchoolRuinsLearning
Should we make a poll and vote for one universal hashtag? Everyone here has really good ideas and I'd like to incorporate them in my ACS movement as well.

11-05-2015 09:52 AM
schoolsux Offline

(11-05-2015 09:52 AM)SirMarty Wrote:  
Should we make a poll and vote for one universal hashtag? Everyone here has really good ideas and I'd like to incorporate them in my ACS movement as well.

That would be a good idea.

#StudentStand (I'm using this one until we agree on a universal hashtag).

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

11-08-2015 10:32 AM
Mmano0 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

The idea of having a student strike is useless. A more diplomatic idea is better.
02-05-2016 04:38 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Student strikes actually work. Problem is that US society as a whole has become pretty apathetic.

We don't even negotiate or haggle anymore, and get annoyed by those who do. We just bend over and accept the price being shoved up our asses by mega-retail chain stores. There's only a very small number of things people bother trying to negotiate over, and not everyone can do it well because like I've said...we've pretty much lost the skill our ancestors(and foreigners) had.

And some people lack the skill so bad, they think acting like an asshole screaming for a discount like an entitled cunt is haggling.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 01:48 PM by brainiac3397.)
02-05-2016 01:47 PM
 Thanks given by: awesomejuan36912
Mmano0 Offline
Defiant

1 and 2 i can agree on but the other eh
3:I wanted to be a doctor but i'm an architect
4:The beginning of number 4 i could not understand but i can agree on the last part but at least try to suggest change to the teachers
5:Back to my job as an architect i use math a shit load of times and stuff i use in and i use the stuff i learn in history when i want to waste my time arguing on the internet with children.
6:look at seven
7: are you just pulling random numbers out of your ass where are the sources
8:i can agree with teachers not listening but the other part eh
9:and what happens if they say they don't want to do their work school is just a way to prepare you for a job
10: Because they had a solid cause while you just want to be lazy and not do work.
In retrospective: Just listen and do your work. you can complain in college
02-06-2016 01:42 AM
Mmano0 Offline
Defiant

1 and 2 i can agree on but the other eh
4:The beginning of number 4 i could not understand but i can agree on the last part but at least try to suggest change to the teachers
5:Back to my job as an architect i use math a shit load of times and stuff i use in and i use the stuff i learn in history when i want to waste my time arguing on the internet with children.
9:and what happens if they say they don't want to do their work school is just a way to prepare you for a job
10: Because they had a solid cause while you just want to be lazy and not do work.
In retrospective: Just listen and do your work. you can complain in college when or when you have a solid cause other then muh rights
02-06-2016 01:50 AM
awesomejuan36912 Offline
Renegade

Given 14 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

(09-23-2015 05:12 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Source: 10 Reasons Students Should Go on Strike - Finding Common Ground - Education Week

Quote:There is a lot going around social media about teachers in Seattle who are striking because of unfair evaluation practices...among other issues. These strikes taking place are around serious issues....issues that educators have been being vocal about for years. What's happening, specifically in Seattle, is very raw and for most educators the thought of striking is uncomfortable at best. It has us thinking about our students.

What if students could strike?

Over the years students have become much more passive. They sit at desks, and in many cases, are expected to listen and do what they are told without question. In some classrooms it is commonplace to question the learning taking place in classroom. In others, question may not be allowed at all.

Students continue to have information shoved at them, and are sometimes ignored when they want something different. Sure, there are times when that can be blamed on accountability and mandates, which teachers cannot always control. Those rules have been the epitome of compliance. Other times, however, it is merely due to the way education has always been.

When we think of teacher evaluation being attached to point scales, we should not forget that students have their entire educational success based on evaluations tied to point scales and tests which are no more than a moment in time, and don't accurately measure what a student will do in the future. We all suffered from the same issue. The insanity of unfair evaluation practices and lack of voice has been happening to students a lot longer than to teachers...and yet no strike from students?

Now, teachers are being evaluated the same way as students and their voices are being thwarted and it doesn't feel good. Perhaps it makes teachers think back to when they were sitting behind the desk as a student instead of standing in front of all of them as a teacher?

There are so many educators who want something more for their students. They work hard. They are innovative and help foster classrooms that focus on social-emotional, as well as, academic learning. Those teachers and school leaders have their students engaged in collaborative learning opportunities. They are involving students in real decision making efforts. They are expecting students to be productive members of the educational community. These progressive educators are operating in an educational system built on trust and responsibility and not one of accountability and fear.

Those educators and leaders want their students to stand up, speak out, and be heard. They want and expect more from the entire student body.

The whole concept of voice in schools centers around, not always believing you need to get what you want, but at least having a place at the table and being responsible for what you say. Too many students are taught about compliance and not enough about using their voice in meaningful and productive ways. We need to find a balance between teaching students how to be successful in school, without losing their independence and feeling compliant in order to survive in our educational system.

There are at least 10 reasons students should strike. They are:

1. Test Prep - Months before high stakes testing happens, students have to do test prep after test prep. That is mind numbingly boring! And it does nothing to prepare them for the future.

2. Testing - For at least one hour a day over a period of weeks, students have to take ELA, math and science state exams, which never really give them any feedback on learning. They are slapped with a score that is never really explained to them, which is more of a state issue than a school issue. Tests are used to sort students into groups that are supposed to provide them with help that they may or may not need because that grouping is based on one moment in time from how they did on a test. The Seattle teachers boycotted this last year.

3. Their perspective - What do students want to learn about? What do they have on their minds? Their perspective is used as an excuse for why we ignore student surveys. We simply say we don't have to listen to the surveys because they are the students' perspective. That's exactly why we should listen! It doesn't mean we can always meet their desire, but at least let them understand why.

4. Sit & Get - We would strike if we had to enter a classroom every morning, or multiple classrooms each day, and wait to find out what we will learn and then be taught the exact same way every day. It's why adults hate most professional development but we do it to our students.

5. Lack of connection between what they are learning and their everyday lives - Why are we learning this? This question has been probably happening for centuries! Why can't they experience cool learning like Pixar in a Box or other creative ideas that would maximize learning.

6. No one knows students hopes and dreams. If we are to ever connect with students we need to know something about them. According to Quaglia and Corso's research, only 34% of students believe teachers know what they want for their future.

7. Lack of personal care. 45% of students don't think teachers care about them as an individual (Quaglia & Corso). We do things for people that believe in us, that we care about, that have high expectations for us. How can we expect students to give 100% effort when half the students don't think we even care about them?

8. No one listens. Students have something to say and all students have something to teach us, yet only 52% of students believe teachers are willing to learn from them.

9. They have no voice in decision-making - We don't involve students in decision making. We just tell them after a decision has been made and expect them to follow without question! Do you know that when students have a voice they are 7 times more likely to be academically motivated to learn (Quaglia & Corso)?

We think the biggest reason they should strike is #10

10. Because they can! - There are more of them than us! During the 60's and 70's we saw student protests in higher education and many changed not only what was happening in colleges and universities but had a profound impact on society in general, from civil rights to the Vietnam war.

The voices of students were heard because they stood up for something that was greater than themselves. Those students had a sense of purpose. Those students had a conviction and passion for something better. Those students made a difference. Those students didn't always worry about being compliant, because they knew there was more to life than that.

[img]images3.wikia.nocookie.net[/img]

crap that didn't come out right, it was supposed to be the title picture for the Spongebob episode "Squid on Strike"

[b]EMOJI PARTY, BIOATCHHHHH
BiggrinConfusedCuckooFuHuh
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 09:42 AM by awesomejuan36912.)
02-06-2016 09:40 AM
awesomejuan36912 Offline
Renegade

Given 14 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Btw- i've begun a hashtag

[b]EMOJI PARTY, BIOATCHHHHH
BiggrinConfusedCuckooFuHuh
02-06-2016 09:46 AM
Mmano0 Offline
Defiant

Good luck mates
02-08-2016 11:54 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Hmmm...what about making cirriculums and hash-tagging them?

Study guides on Khan Academy, even.

Or just a list of recommened things from Coursera or whatever?

Or powerpoints on random popular things that then have an educational purpose - Lord knows I've made entirely too many powerpoints to attempt to figure out how the feck HP genetics work.

Hashtag them all - yes, I do have an ulterior motive - to avoid the school/learning confusion. Wink

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-21-2016 08:38 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

I decided to start posting on my Abolish Compulsory Schooling twitter again (@AbolishCS) using the hashtag #StudentsStrike. Would love for it to start trending. Compulsory schooling violates the 13th amendment to the U.S. constitution. I'm also thinking of starting an Instagram called @AbolishCompulsorySchooling.

03-11-2016 03:04 PM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

Imagine a full on student strike. Twas would be amazing.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
03-14-2016 08:34 AM
Dealwithmyusername Offline
Defiant

I love how schools try and manipulate parents saying that we don't condone bullying and say that we care about them. Which is obviously a lie.
04-04-2016 08:53 AM
Dealwithmyusername Offline
Defiant

(02-06-2016 01:50 AM)Mmano0 Wrote:  1 and 2 i can agree on but the other eh
In retrospective: Just listen and do your work. you can complain in college when or when you have a solid cause other then muh rights

For number 9, I have to disagree with you on that. They don't know who you want to be, they don't know what kind of job you want, they don't prepare you for a job anyways. Now if they knew who we wanted to be, then those algebra concepts would be useful to some people. That is your job, and you knew who you wanted to be, but that's just you, you used that information in school. You never know if someone wanted to be a coder, if someone wanted to be a nurse, or if somebody wanted to be a chef! Some schools probably taught you how to sign up for a job, but some don't.
04-04-2016 09:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mark Barnes: 7 Reasons teachers should stop grading their students forever xcriteria 3 3,454 01-22-2015 11:06 AM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  Strike Facebook Page. (Education Reform) Subb 9 4,567 11-23-2012 08:20 AM
Last Post: Subb
  Return of the Strike Faby 6 2,773 05-09-2009 12:25 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  Gothenburg school pupils strike against job cuts fromLibCom BIOSHOCK 2 1,820 04-03-2009 08:29 AM
Last Post: NowhereWoman