RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am 16 and the education system is destroying my health
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:The pressure put on today’s young people is immense. All we are learning is that our best isn’t good enough and that one bad test makes you a failure.

This is an article about how our education system is ruining young people’s lives. Nobody is listening to the teachers who say it, so perhaps someone will listen to me.

The system is teaching people that your best isn’t good enough, that you must constantly try harder and that one bad result makes you a failure. Success is measured by how well you remember the criteria on a given day. How can we justify putting the health of children on the line for an exam board’s definition of achievement? The most important achievement a person should aim for is being comfortable in their skin, safe in the knowledge they can live their life and define success on their own terms.

More at Source

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-18-2015 05:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , schoolsux
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
RE: I am 16 and the education system is destroying my health

I thought you were in your 30s Razz

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
08-18-2015 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

No, School Survival is 16.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
08-18-2015 09:04 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

It's in quotes, dammit. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-19-2015 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

We can do better than this archaic system which is designed to teach you what to think instead of how to think.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
08-20-2015 01:59 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , schoolsux
sfslol Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

No matter how much I would love an education system like the one in the post, I don't think it'll work in reality. The problem is that people are different, which means that one education system can not fulfill everybody's wishes. Some don't like school at all, some like learning about a specific topic and some like learning about everything.

I believe that the recipe for an education system, is freedom to an extent. For instance, why would a car mechanic need the skill to write and analyze a poem? The answer is they don't. If it only aimed at giving you everyday abilities, like simple math, and then let you specialize at a specific topic it would give you a quicker education, more freedom and a better learning environment because people are actually interested in what they study plus so much more. I don't get why you are expected to know so much, when in reality you really only need the basics. At the same time, you can't let people have to much freedom because the people going through the system is still young. They are not really mature enough to make their own decisions, and nobody wants math right? This is why I'm saying freedom to an extent, teach the basics to make sure they work in the real world and then let them specialize at something they enjoy and something that can give them a future.

Even though it's not perfect, I believe it's realistic.
There are a lot of things that could improve, but I think it's important to start realistically and do something instead of ignoring it. Mental health is a very serious matter, and is in cases so bad that it leads to suicide and so on which is the reason why we need to take the development of our education system seriously because currently it is destroying the mental health of young people.

Also, another thing I believe is important to think, is that "we should not think about how we can cure mental illness, but how we can prevent it".

• "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." - Socrates
  • "My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth." - Unknown
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2015 09:08 AM by sfslol.)
10-27-2015 09:04 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , schoolsux
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:They are not really mature enough to make their own decisions, and nobody wants math right?
I'm sorry, what? If they want to do something that requires math, they will want math. Like, the only reasons I bothered with numbers and stuff back then was because I wanted to learn programming, and because I needed to work out how many songs I can fit on a tape (yeah, 90's problems, lol). Once I moved on to writing CD's my interest in math quickly faded, until I needed it for a programming project.

There's little to no point in learning math just for the sake of math...

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2015 10:37 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
sfslol Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(10-27-2015 10:37 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:They are not really mature enough to make their own decisions, and nobody wants math right?
I'm sorry, what? If they want to do something that requires math, they will want math. Like, the only reasons I bothered with numbers and stuff back then was because I wanted to learn programming, and because I needed to work out how many songs I can fit on a tape (yeah, 90's problems, lol). Once I moved on to writing CD's my interest in math quickly faded, until I needed it for a programming project.

There's little to no point in learning math just for the sake of math...

I'm not talking about advanced math, like algebra and stuff like that, but you are really required to know basic math if you want to work in the modern society. And do you think that if people could choose if they wanted math or not, they would say yes? Also please know that this was only me rambling at night and it's not a system that would be efficient without a lot of thinking and developing.

• "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." - Socrates
  • "My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth." - Unknown
10-28-2015 02:37 AM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

A great idea for change in the schools is to not really have school beyond 8th grade (US). The schools teach basic skills in every subject, much like today's schools. Foreign languages would be taught too (starting much younger than 7th grade). I know my school (and a school I nearly transferred to) both start teaching foreign languages in 7th grade.

Unlike today's schools, there would be NO standardized testing. Grades would not exist. There would be more schools teaching things in a specific field (e.g. engineering).

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
10-29-2015 02:23 AM
 Thanks given by: sfslol , Superkamiguru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 7 12,596 01-03-2017 07:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  I Just sued the education system Ilija.m 4 3,474 09-30-2016 02:30 AM
Last Post: Ilija.m
  25.5 Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 3 3,925 02-01-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: awesomejuan36912
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 15,171 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke
  What do you think of this education system? Shanester97 2 2,619 12-29-2015 08:42 PM
Last Post: Shanester97
  What do you think of this education system? Shanester97 0 2,098 12-29-2015 01:38 AM
Last Post: Shanester97
  Education system Education-Reformer 2 1,864 03-02-2015 01:47 AM
Last Post: Education-Reformer
  Education Is a System of Indoctrination of the Young Marzo 2 3,102 01-15-2014 09:29 AM
Last Post: Marzo
  What do you think of the US education system? eavesdrop 24 9,587 11-26-2012 11:23 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  "The purpose of the education system." Miller0700 4 4,011 10-16-2012 11:52 AM
Last Post: 4r4b7