RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The USA Legalized Gay Marriage Nationwide
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to allow gay marriage nationwide.

Read the article yourself. I'm back, who would've known? Mwahaha I'm glad to be back and I'm certainly glad to live in a society where we have legalized gay marriage. What do you guys think about all this? I think it's great![/quote]

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
06-28-2015 05:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
RE: The USA Legalized Gay Marriage Nationwide

But mah gawd says iz bad! Says so in this here book made back when the wheel was bleeding edge. Clearly every single letter of this perfect book done be perfect moral absolutes on how to live in our modern world.

P.S. Here in murika we need the freedom to murder each other with metal-shootin' sticks but not to openly love the person we want to, because this is what upstanding, moral citizens do.

P.P.S. If God is proven to not exist, which is impossible, I have a backup religion of pee-troleum!

P.P.P.S. Murika!

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
06-28-2015 03:39 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Quote:In dissent, Chief Justice Roberts said the majority opinion was “an act of will, not legal judgment.”

The court invalidates the marriage laws of more than half the states and orders the transformation of a social institution that has formed the basis of human society for millennia, for the Kalahari Bushmen and the Han Chinese, the Carthaginians and the Aztecs,” he wrote. “Just who do we think we are?”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

[Image: TMW03-03-04cdfdolor-copy.jpg]

Quote:Being gay is not some new fad. Gay people have always been around, which means they have always formed relationships. And, to different legal standards, many of these relationships were what we would consider marriages.

Gay marriage was not uncommon in Ancient Rome; even the Emperor Nero publicly married at least two men. During the Ming Dynasty in China, it was not uncommon for older men to marry young men and bring them into their families as official sons-in-law. While Christianity officially frowned on men marrying each other, they also came up with a way around this taboo. Both the Eastern Orthodox and Catholic church allowed "brother-making" in which two totally straight single guys had an official ceremony telling everyone what good friends they were and how they were going to live together and pray together but totally not do any guy-on-guy stuff.

Single women living together has always been more acceptable than men cohabiting (because women don't have sex drives, right?), but that doesn't mean that all female "roommates" tried to hide their bean-flicking activities from their neighbors. Many of them were open about their relationships, and both the women involved and their friends considered the couples married, whether they had gone through a ceremony or not. In the late 1800s, these relationships were called Boston Marriages. In at least one case, Sylvia Drake and Charity Bryant were considered a "common household" under the law for tax purposes. In Spain in 1901, Elisa Sanchez Loriga pretended to be a man in order to marry Marcela Gracia Ibeas. Despite needing to use deception, after they were found out, the marriage was still allowed to stand.

If you want to admit you don't like the idea of same-sex marriage because it makes you think of sex that makes you feel icky, feel free to say it. I'm sure everyone would feel better knowing how much you fixate on their bedroom antics. But it's time to stop pretending that "traditional marriage" exists. Gay marriage is now legal in 18 countries, including Luxembourg, Uruguay, and South Africa. So come on, Supreme Court. Do the right thing. Make America as progressive in civil rights as South Africa.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-ga...rriage_p2/

Let's make it bleedingly obvious; The law is not an exact science. The law is an opinion, placed into practice, of how to determine and interpret rights, economics, legalities, and criminalities, etc. It is always subject to change. Today, we base our system of law, and all the consequences it brings, on reason, rather than a parchment written by older people from an older time, who sought for different interests and for different reasons with different viewpoints contrary for the freedoms of our own.

Today, we will be reasonable.

Today, we will be free.

This one's for me, a pansexual.

This one's for you, all LGBTQ members of SS.

This one's for you, every other member out in the world.

But it's also for you, non-members. In assuring our own freedoms, we reaffirm the reasons for your freedom to which were given to you, and remind us all that we can be free. Though gay marriage is legal, the struggle is not over. Discrimination still persists in neglecting opportunities for employment, housing, hotel rentals, adoption, etc. Let's all work to make the world a better place.

"Man must not check reason by tradition, but contrariwise, must check tradition by reason." - Leo Tolstoy

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
06-28-2015 05:21 PM
 Thanks given by: no , James Comey
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

yeah, I totally support it.

Simplest put, a human should be able to love whomever they want and marry whomever they want. Whether that human is of the opposite sex or not.

My step-grandfather's younger brother is gay and been in a relationship for (I think) 30 years ish.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
06-28-2015 06:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Like said elsewhere, I dont support LGBT but I dont believe marriage should be a legal status beyond a simple census statistic (so none of that govt permit stuff to get married).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-28-2015 06:45 PM
ComradeDaryl Offline
School makes you stupid

Given 29 thank(s) in 20 post(s)

(06-28-2015 03:39 PM)no Wrote:  But mah gawd says iz bad! Says so in this here book made back when the wheel was bleeding edge. Clearly every single letter of this perfect book done be perfect moral absolutes on how to live in our modern world.

P.S. Here in murika we need the freedom to murder each other with metal-shootin' sticks but not to openly love the person we want to, because this is what upstanding, moral citizens do.

P.P.S. If God is proven to not exist, which is impossible, I have a backup religion of pee-troleum!

P.P.P.S. Murika!
[Image: slippery_slope.png]

(06-28-2015 06:45 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Like said elsewhere, I dont support LGBT but I dont believe marriage should be a legal status beyond a simple census statistic (so none of that govt permit stuff to get married).

As for marriage, there's a much better alternative to it.
Has anyone here heard of Free love? I would much prefer it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_love

http://www.tamera.org/basic-thoughts/what-is-free-love/

http://telekommunisten.net/the-telekommunist-manifesto/
The telekommunist manifesto
http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/
Anarchist archives
https://www.marxists.org/archive/lafargue/1883/lazy/
The Right to Be Lazy, Paul Lafargue(An early marxist).
06-28-2015 07:49 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(06-28-2015 06:45 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Like said elsewhere, I dont support LGBT but I dont believe marriage should be a legal status beyond a simple census statistic (so none of that govt permit stuff to get married).

Why don't you support LGBT?

Quote:As for marriage, there's a much better alternative to it.
Has anyone here heard of Free love? I would much prefer it.

I'm all for open relationships, but the case here is that in the US when you get married you get certain privileges not given if you were single or seperate.

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
06-28-2015 08:52 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I'm surprised it took "the land of the free" so long to do this. Razz

Anyway, yay, progress and stuff.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-29-2015 03:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(06-29-2015 03:47 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I'm surprised it took "the land of the free" so long to do this. Razz

So long? There are still literally dozens of nations where homosexuality is criminalized - just because the US wasn't the very first nation out the gate doesn't mean we're not progressive.

Also, glad to see all of this celebration surrounding gay marriage and whatnot, but where's the love (or lack thereof) for the asexuals, eh?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
06-29-2015 07:00 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(06-29-2015 07:00 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(06-29-2015 03:47 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I'm surprised it took "the land of the free" so long to do this. Razz

So long? There are still literally dozens of nations where homosexuality is criminalized - just because the US wasn't the very first nation out the gate doesn't mean we're not progressive.

Also, glad to see all of this celebration surrounding gay marriage and whatnot, but where's the love (or lack thereof) for the asexuals, eh?

I assume asexuals wouldn't really want to be married, so the problem is more of a social issue than governmental.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
06-29-2015 03:42 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

STDs killed Free Love. And technically it probably still keeps it dead since there is no perfect protective measure. Free love is just a dead utopic concept thats more likely to cause STD outbreaks and create a societal opinion of folk being nothing more than fuck tools.

Then again I have a tendency towards conservatism in such regards. Plus free love would ruin the excitement from the general stigma of open sexuality. Its like losing that daring edge.

And I dont support LGBT cause I personally dont approve of homosexuality. However considering my stronger belief in individual liberty(to a certain extent), while I dont support them, I dont care to actively voice against them because I really dont care(i mean the whole basis of antigay is basically religious. I too am religious, but seeing as Im not gay I dont see much an issue there other than a bunch of biblethumpers wanting to institute sharia...I mean moral laws)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
06-29-2015 04:23 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(06-29-2015 04:23 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  STDs killed Free Love. And technically it probably still keeps it dead since there is no perfect protective measure. Free love is just a dead utopic concept thats more likely to cause STD outbreaks and create a societal opinion of folk being nothing more than fuck tools.

Then again I have a tendency towards conservatism in such regards. Plus free love would ruin the excitement from the general stigma of open sexuality. Its like losing that daring edge.

I can think of one preventive measure: condoms.
Free love can lead to relationships (polyamory) that can be romantic, or not. It's up to those individuals. Whether or not it would lose edge doesn't interest me, it's their choice and come what may. It wouldn't be enough to repress it.

Quote:And I dont support LGBT cause I personally dont approve of homosexuality.

Wut? Care to explain why?

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
06-29-2015 05:48 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Condoms are not 100% protective. Even CDC says that best protection is abstinence or long-term monogamy. So sooner or later the STD rate will take a nice curve upwards, especially those STDs that can transmit from other bodily fluids through non-sexual means.

Wut what? I cant personally disapprove of homosexuality? Just cause I dont rant about how gays will go to hell or something doesnt imply support.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
06-29-2015 09:35 PM
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)

About time, now all we need is to raise more awareness to the asexual community, and it must be accepted too.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 10:53 PM by Cianna200.)
06-29-2015 10:52 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(06-29-2015 03:42 PM)Sociopath Wrote:  

I assume asexuals wouldn't really want to be married, so the problem is more of a social issue than governmental.

I said asexuals, not aromantics.

06-30-2015 01:43 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(06-29-2015 09:35 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Condoms are not 100% protective. Even CDC says that best protection is abstinence or long-term monogamy. So sooner or later the STD rate will take a nice curve upwards, especially those STDs that can transmit from other bodily fluids through non-sexual means.

Wut what? I cant personally disapprove of homosexuality? Just cause I dont rant about how gays will go to hell or something doesnt imply support.

if it can transmit through non-sexual means then the sex part is moot. Condoms are effective most of the time so that will suffice. As for the STD rate you don't know that for sure so who are you to say what'll happen?

I don't understand how you can "personally" disapprove of it, there has to be an actual reason...

Quote:I said asexuals, not aromantics.
They can still marry so the point I made is basically the same.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
06-30-2015 08:28 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

[Image: image_zps9hut4nql.jpg]

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
06-30-2015 09:12 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

No it ain't! Murika is about JEEEEEEEEEZUUUUUUS!

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
06-30-2015 10:56 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(06-30-2015 08:28 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(06-29-2015 09:35 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Condoms are not 100% protective. Even CDC says that best protection is abstinence or long-term monogamy. So sooner or later the STD rate will take a nice curve upwards, especially those STDs that can transmit from other bodily fluids through non-sexual means.

if it can transmit through non-sexual means then the sex part is moot. Condoms are effective most of the time so that will suffice. As for the STD rate you don't know that for sure so who are you to say what'll happen?

I don't understand how you can "personally" disapprove of it, there has to be an actual reason...

Quote:I said asexuals, not aromantics.
They can still marry so the point I made is basically the same.

If Libertarians can talk about theortical economic utopias, I'm sure I can mention theoretical STD rates, and fortunately STDs are better grounded in reality.

It's not like they're not doing research and studies into this stuff. Just cause it's called an STD doesn't mean u need to have sex to get it. And condoms are only as effective as the precautions of the user(not to mention also using dental dams for oral sex).

People are more educated by porn than proper sexual safety, and unfortunately for them porn is a very bad form of education.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
06-30-2015 12:12 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Ok, yes, but it's worth noting homosexuality was only decriminalized nationwide in the US a little more than a decade ago, [and a fairly significant minority of Americans, just under a third, still believe homosexuality should be illegal].

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-30-2015 12:33 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(06-30-2015 12:33 PM)magikarp Wrote:  

Ok, yes, but it's worth noting homosexuality was only decriminalized nationwide in the US a little more than a decade ago, [and a fairly significant minority of Americans, just under a third, still believe homosexuality should be illegal].

Homosexual marriage was illegal only a short time ago. In much of the world, simply being homosexual is cause enough to be jailed or - in the case of a few Middle Eastern nations - executed.

06-30-2015 01:32 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

(06-30-2015 01:32 PM)DoA Wrote:  
(06-30-2015 12:33 PM)magikarp Wrote:  

Homosexual marriage was illegal only a short time ago. In much of the world, simply being homosexual is cause enough to be jailed or - in the case of a few Middle Eastern nations - executed.
Simply being homosexual (or having gay sex, at least) was enough to be jailed in [parts of] the US literally a decade ago, 30-some years after most of the Western world.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-30-2015 10:15 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

So what do you with the things currently regulated by marriage? (Thinking things like spousal immigration, inheritance law/tax, spousal pensions, health insurance, visitation of step-children here. Hospital visitation and who's considered next of kin are more straightforward to deal with.)

I actually don't, on a broad time horizon, support legal marriage but abolishing it involves a combination of major changes to marriage-as-we-know-it (in the sense that there'd be no guarantee you can, for example, move abroad with your spouse, and that not having legally combined finances means being a stay-at-home parent is a risky move) or major changes to social welfare, immigration law, etc.

07-01-2015 07:28 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'm not saying abolish marriage, and I'm not saying abandon legal regulation of those aspects. I'm simply saying that one shouldn't have to get a permit or go to a court or city hall to get a "marriage license". Leave it up to them how to decide on accepting the status of being married(and everything that comes along with it).

A spouse is still a spouse. And welfare/immigration/tax law isn't tied so tightly into the legal status of marriage. One should simply be able to get married without getting permission from the government(look at that county in Alabama. The judges are protesting the gay marriage thing by refusing to allow ANY marriage).

It's not as complicated or in-depth as you think.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-01-2015 07:57 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

...Marriage has quite a lot to do with immigration actually in the US, in the sense that spousal immigration is more or less automatically approved assuming your income is considered sufficient to support a family, whereas other forms of immigration require waiting for a limited number of immigrant visas. (So w/o legal recognition of marriage, either you get rid of that automatic approval, or anyone can sponsor anyone by claiming to be married.) Also with inheritance tax law, although most of the US doesn't actually have inheritance tax except on very large estates.

07-01-2015 08:55 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

(07-01-2015 08:55 AM)magikarp Wrote:  ...Marriage has quite a lot to do with immigration actually in the US, in the sense that spousal immigration is more or less automatically approved assuming your income is considered sufficient to support a family, whereas other forms of immigration require waiting for a limited number of immigrant visas. (So w/o legal recognition of marriage, either you get rid of that automatic approval, or anyone can sponsor anyone by claiming to be married.) Also with inheritance tax law, although most of the US doesn't actually have inheritance tax except on very large estates.

This here explains why a lot of Russian/Ukrainian chicks always seem to contact me on penpal sites. They're looking for citizenship.

Pretty much though I support this. If 2 men or women want to be miserable with each other for the rest of their life - so be it. There's no real reason to oppose it, other than "I hate gays" or tradition.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
07-01-2015 10:04 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(07-01-2015 08:55 AM)magikarp Wrote:  ...Marriage has quite a lot to do with immigration actually in the US, in the sense that spousal immigration is more or less automatically approved assuming your income is considered sufficient to support a family, whereas other forms of immigration require waiting for a limited number of immigrant visas. (So w/o legal recognition of marriage, either you get rid of that automatic approval, or anyone can sponsor anyone by claiming to be married.) Also with inheritance tax law, although most of the US doesn't actually have inheritance tax except on very large estates.

I meant in the sense that just because the government stops requiring a permit to marry, it doesn't suddenly screw up all the other systems in place. The government can still recognize a marriage without making you get a permit.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-01-2015 12:53 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I'd be happy if the world got rid of citizenship entirely and just let people live wherever they damn well want to.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-04-2015 03:20 AM
 Thanks given by: no , Ky , Sociopath , Avatar Korra
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(07-04-2015 03:20 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I'd be happy if the world got rid of citizenship entirely and just let people live wherever they damn well want to.

Then you'd either have to eliminate nation and borders.

or it wouldn't work since the purpose of citizenship is to guarantee that those who are considered citizens, thus residents, to have the proper privileges and rights granted to them.

My opinion is that we need New World Order with a single government...then you'd be a citizen of the world and could go anywhere. Even the wastelands of the nations that refused to join and were annihilated!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-04-2015 08:15 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)

I agree
07-04-2015 09:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Homosexual "marriage" is not a natural right Luizao876 30 11,161 05-18-2012 12:50 PM
Last Post: Sociopath
  A simple solution to gay marriage. Proudsadist 39 9,430 06-04-2010 07:00 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Why can't Duelix and I have a gay marriage? యూజర్ పేరు 25 6,632 04-19-2010 01:07 AM
Last Post: AWOL
  Cheney on gay marriage: 'Freedom for everyone HeartofShadows 18 5,042 06-05-2009 04:30 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd
  Iowa legalizes same sex marriage returnal 25 5,000 04-12-2009 05:17 AM
Last Post: NowhereWoman
  Sex vs Dating/Marriage dreamer... 34 14,467 09-09-2008 05:02 AM
Last Post: fragile-esteem
  Gay marriage youvebeenthunderstruck 59 9,988 02-19-2008 09:12 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  I Hate Gay Marriage Guest 67 21,918 10-31-2007 02:18 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser