RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/23 #StuVoice chat "Challenging the Status Quo: A Solution for Unhappy Students"
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
2/23 #StuVoice chat "Challenging the Status Quo: A Solution for Unhappy Students"

Lisa and I are helping plan the next StuVoice Twitter chat, inspired by School Survival and everyone who's unhappy in school!

It's Monday, Feb. 23, at 8:30pm EST... I hope as many people from here as possible can make it.

2/23 #StuVoice Twitter Chat "Challenging the Status Quo: A Solution for School's Unhappy Students"

This is an opportunity to share the problems with those who hate school with a broader audience, and explore solutions. The more people who understand these situations and stories, the more we can all do to change things, convince parents to consider alternatives, and win those within education over to questioning forced, factory-model schooling.

So, who's thinking of participating?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2015 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Reminder, this is tomorrow (Monday) from 8:30pm-9pm. Basically, it'll be a series of questions that people can reply to and discuss, like what's wrong with school, and what kind of alternatives there are.

The more people who can make it, the more we can show that this is a real cause that deserves attention... if you aren't familiar with Twitter chats, I can explain them. Basically, make a Twitter account, and you can either use twitter directly by searching on the #stuvoice hashtag, or (what I do) use http://tweetchat.com and put #stuvoice in.

Anyone think they could make it?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
02-23-2015 04:13 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

This starts in a little over two hours. You can participate by making a twitter account if you don't have one (easy!) -- and then use http://tweetchat.com to participate in the chat, with the hashtag #stuvoice -- direct url http://tweetchat.com/room/stuvoice

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 10:00 AM by xcriteria.)
02-24-2015 09:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Call out to former unhappy students who want to change things -- feedback requested xcriteria 6 3,528 09-06-2015 10:53 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  #StuVoice Conversation with Anya Kamenetz (30 minute hangout video) xcriteria 0 1,798 02-05-2015 05:32 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  StuVoice Twitter chat + SS chat tonight 8:30pm EST... the Power of Diverse Learners xcriteria 3 2,485 11-01-2014 06:17 PM
  PTchat/StuVoice Hangout+Twitter chat - starting *now* xcriteria 1 1,414 10-16-2014 11:18 AM
  9/22/14 #StuVoice Twitter Chat: Student Voice Live! Recap xcriteria 13 6,828 09-30-2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  My status as of now WhatEvenIsThis 4 2,503 03-31-2014 01:58 AM
Last Post: Ky
  LCL2: Creative Learning for those unhappy in “school-as-usual” xcriteria 2 3,267 03-24-2014 11:48 AM
  Duncan Seeks Feedback During #StuVoice Twitter Chat (Monday evening) xcriteria 4 4,151 01-14-2014 11:49 AM
  Status of my emotion during winter break WhatEvenIsThis 5 9,019 12-30-2013 07:12 AM
Last Post: Ky
  here's a proposed solution Potato 16 6,541 09-13-2013 03:42 PM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha