RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping theCancer plan his lessons
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

Awhile back I was fixated on starting my own school...

anyway, the basic idea I had for structuring time was this: that each student would be assigned a block of time and the purpose of that block was project management.

Everything in the sciences and humanities is best taught as projects. What kind of projects? Form a sound and reasoned/researched opinion.

I think for the purpose of theCancer, something a bit like my high school physics teacher's routine. He would put the equations up on the board, take a few minutes to explain what they mean then pass out the homework. The whole rest of class we were free to work on whatever so long as we we'rent too rowdy and he was free to talk about whatever, but real homework questions took precedence.

For theCancer's sake, it seems a bit more complex because humanities courses appear less straight forward that physics, but really the goal of every humanities subject, and all philosophy in general, is to be able to reason effectively. any subject is useful for that purpose so long as the academics of it don't become the main focus.

I suggest for the topic of history, create a list of things that happened relevant to what the class is supposed to be about. make it fairly inclusive, then pass this list out to everybody. Take a few minutes to explain that "these are the things people think are important about this time and place. Your job is to come up with something that is on this list or not on this list and tell me why you find it interesting. Each person will have a turn to speak with me one-on-one or if a group of you are interested in the same topic i can speak with your group about it. what we will be doing is figuring out how best to explore these interests. our textbook is here to mostly narrate these events but there is a lot of stuff missing so we might refer to it, we might not. What direction any of your projects go is something we will be discussing in these one-on-one or group meetings. everybody can take the rest of class to think about what they want to study and if they want to work with anybody else on it."

all history is connected and intertwined so maybe nosy school administrators wont take issue with this approach...

You don't need to tell them a single freaking thing about how they will be expected to write an original essay for their final. what you will be doing as a teacher is using your experience to figure out how they can go about exploring various topics relevant to your subject. The struggles each individual student has will be for you to help overcome with whatever time you have.

I would suggest reading up more on the Jungian typology and make an inventory of the people you know. You may find it is easy to guess what personality type a person has with relatively little information. I've used it on a few of my coworkers. This information will be useful in terms of figuring out what aspect of the subject your student might be interested in and what strengths they will easily employ in its pursuit. I'm very much an INFJ, so a philosopher type much more inclined to the big ideas than the details. an ESTP would tell you all about the fascinating trees and their different types, i would be more likely to talk about the glacier that deposited the nutrients in the soil of that forest, or I would talk about the coolest tree.

this is really just for starters. I'm not out there in the field with these kids. But you need to remember that traditionally the word educate meant to draw forth. Like the sculpture in the stone awaiting the removal of the un-needed bits, your students already have opinions. don't forget too, school itself is a topic relevant to pretty much every subject. Your aversion to Gatto notwithstanding, do as he did with the haters of school and share some of the big ideas behind the creation and design of school. and don't dismiss Gatto because he IS a good source on that, but do your research.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 02:02 PM by the Analogist.)
05-31-2017 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Thanks. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I don't completely dismiss Gatto. I just have some criticism.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-31-2017 11:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SAT Scores, and theCancer continues to be wrong the Analogist 17 9,638 06-20-2017 06:25 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  School suspends girl for helping her drunk friend get home/ 154bmag 12 6,104 10-18-2013 01:04 PM
Last Post: (´・ω・`)
  "Physical Education", or "Lullaby lessons" aCol 29 8,213 04-20-2012 05:28 PM
Last Post: Efs
Sad Extracurricular lessons FORCED on you by your parents Luizao876 11 5,279 11-26-2011 10:08 PM
  School Consuler doesnt seem to bother helping me with my graduation. Darksoul 5 4,408 11-12-2011 06:51 AM
Last Post: Darksoul
  TheCancer's Signature Prince Rilian 30 14,665 10-24-2011 02:58 PM
  How to waste time in Computer Room Lessons aaaaaaasd 10 3,772 05-08-2010 04:41 PM
Last Post: AWOL