RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Do you have Autism?
Yes I do. (And I'm proud of it)
No I do not
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SS Autism spectrum poll
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

I wondered how many people have autism on here. Time to put my speculations to rest.
The people who have autism that I know of currently:
(Ignore any misspellings, I'll update this list)
Missile
Hansgrohe
Subb
Trekkie_Aspie
Neue
JenniMiller
Diknot5
Sociopath
No
SchoolSux

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 11:13 PM by Missile.)
02-09-2015 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
The SS Autism poll

We can't be proud not to have autism?
I call discrimination!

Serious note, I don't believe I have autism. I might be eccentric and a bit of a megalomania...but in healthy doses ya know. I mean Stalin went from farm boy dreaming of becoming a priest to paranoid dictator of the mighty USSR!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-09-2015 12:49 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

RE: The SS Autism poll

(02-09-2015 12:49 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  We can't be proud not to have autism?
I call discrimination!

Well that's too bad! Biggrin

02-09-2015 12:57 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: The SS Autism poll

Yeah, I have high functioning autism. It's fine. Can't really picture life without it, but I could really use some social skills. I can't even function in larger groups.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
02-09-2015 02:47 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
The SS Autism poll

I'd suggest updating the poll (you can edit it), to say something like "autism spectrum," since "autism" by itself might be interpreted as more specific.

You might also consider adding a third option, like, "Not sure / maybe / a bit," but up to you. Personally, I've explored the autism spectrum before as an explanation for my differences, and maybe there's something to that, but I wouldn't say "I have autism."

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-09-2015 03:55 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

The SS Autism poll

I wanted to this poll for people who actually have autism, I didn't add the third option because I don't want the self-diagnosed people who may not have it. (Although they are likely to click the "yes I do option anyway"

02-09-2015 10:31 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Fair enough. So, what about Asperger syndrome? It's a spectrum, after all, not always an in-or-out category (though it can be that, too.)

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
02-10-2015 01:44 AM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

But what if we're not proud of it?
02-10-2015 05:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dikont5 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 54 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

I have difficulty memorizing crap, and I seem to emotionally and socially incompetent. I don't see the big deal in being autistic as I perceive the world in different ways.

[Image: ninetales.gif]
[Image: poly12e.php?p1=74&p2=64&...amp;p12=49]
02-10-2015 02:56 PM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)
RE: The SS Autism spectrum poll

Autism doesn't exist.
02-10-2015 04:46 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

I'm not going to say I HAVE autism, but I've been home diagnosed, and the signs are definitely there.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
02-11-2015 04:35 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

(02-10-2015 04:46 PM)Jop Wrote:  Autism doesn't exist.

Got any proof of that?

02-11-2015 08:19 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Got any proof that it does exist?
02-11-2015 11:56 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

Jop is the greatest troll of all of our times!
02-12-2015 12:05 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

(02-11-2015 11:56 PM)Jop Wrote:  Got any proof that it does exist?

You're trolling us right? Doing a quick google search would give you all the answer you need.

As a side note, Missle, you can add me to that list.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
02-12-2015 01:26 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

"autism proof" and "autism evidence" didn't give any. Links?
02-12-2015 03:49 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

(02-12-2015 01:26 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  [quote='Jop' pid='550735' dateline='1423663000']
Got any proof that it does exist?
Quote:As a side note, Missle, you can add me to that list.

Just did

[quote='Jop' pid='550750' dateline='1423676979']
"autism proof" and "autism evidence" didn't give any. Links?

I looked up "autism doesn't exist". I couldn't find a credible source that denies autism's existence

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 08:44 AM by Missile.)
02-12-2015 08:43 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(02-12-2015 03:49 AM)Jop Wrote:  "autism proof" and "autism evidence" didn't give any. Links?

http://time.com/3614487/fmri-autism-diagnosis/

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior...tism-95706

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/2...stic-brain

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
02-12-2015 09:28 AM
 Thanks given by: Missile
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I scored like a 34 or 35 on this test: http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

beat multiple people I know who are actually diagnosed with some variant of autism, one of whom told me that I might have autism. and I exhibit some of the outward symptoms of the disorder, like stimming, noticeable tics (which have been more cause of concern in and of themselves than any prospect of being autism spectrum, and it's currently diagnosed as a disorder on its own in my case), exceptional social awkwardness, preference for sameness, etc. But, I am a sarcastic fuck, which isn't very stereo-typically autistic.

I loathe self-diagnosis though so I haven't drawn any hard conclusions from it, and I'm not sure acquiring a diagnosis would change my quality of life at all.

But I imagine I'm closer to being "on the spectrum" than most people.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-13-2015 01:18 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

When a pro-schooler sees a child behaving in a way they don't like, they compile said behaviour in a nonexistent disease. Autism is one of those. An MRI scan allows you to really roughly see how a human mind is organized, so of course an MRI scan reflects a human's behaviour. Doesn't prove that the behaviours they dislike are caused by a defect at all.
02-13-2015 02:12 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Trust me, no one here would argue that autism is any sort of defect, but you won't find many here who would agree that it is as unlikely to even exist as, say, ADHD or ODD.

What it means to be autistic - or, in the case of many who aren't, neurotypical - is another matter entirely.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-13-2015 03:34 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(02-13-2015 02:12 AM)Jop Wrote:  When a pro-schooler sees a child behaving in a way they don't like, they compile said behaviour in a nonexistent disease. Autism is one of those. An MRI scan allows you to really roughly see how a human mind is organized, so of course an MRI scan reflects a human's behaviour. Doesn't prove that the behaviours they dislike are caused by a defect at all.

>autism
>not real

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

lol those adults must just dislike how those kids of theirs are acting, clearly nothing wrong with them.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2015 05:43 AM by thewake.)
02-13-2015 05:40 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Wes, yes, In extreme form, autism can look like that. It's hard to argue that isn't bona fide disordered behavior.

However, most on the autism spectrum can probably be described as having a difference, even gifts, more than a disorder, especially if they have access to a good learning environment and a supportive community.

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2015 06:12 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(02-13-2015 05:40 AM)Weswammy Wrote:  
(02-13-2015 02:12 AM)Jop Wrote:  When a pro-schooler sees a child behaving in a way they don't like, they compile said behaviour in a nonexistent disease. Autism is one of those. An MRI scan allows you to really roughly see how a human mind is organized, so of course an MRI scan reflects a human's behaviour. Doesn't prove that the behaviours they dislike are caused by a defect at all.

>autism
>not real

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

lol those adults must just dislike how those kids of theirs are acting, clearly nothing wrong with them.

Actual bad behaviours and defects they can't explain are sometimes blamed on autism too. There was a man on TV that just sat there and said "uuuhhhhHHHHHhhhHHHHHHHHHhhHHHHhhhHHHHHhhh" all the time, and then they said "This man has autism.".
02-13-2015 07:49 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

So your counteragument is that because some guy can fake it for a bit, it doesnt exist?

Im pretty sure the autistic kid that was in my HS class was faking his behavior.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-13-2015 08:16 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Why can't you just admit that you're wrong?

02-13-2015 09:18 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

What I meant was that self-injury (and the thing on TV, but yes, Brainiac3397 is right, it could be faked) is not part of the "symptoms of autism" yet those linked video's blame it on that.
02-14-2015 03:03 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Self-injury is more likely in an autistic but not really classified as a symptom. At most, it's an "at-risk" factor that comes into play.

MRI scans difference between activity in certain brain parts and also the reaction to those differences when put into play. This can be contrasted against someone who doesn't have autism and through enough samples can build a criteria of which to base symptoms and behaviors on.

Increasing a behavior doesn't change your brain anatomy just because you do it alot, it matters what your brain actually does and when it does it. Besides, are you really going to say that people who don't even know what autism is have been "faking" symptoms their whole lives to fool MRI scans?

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
02-14-2015 05:03 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(02-14-2015 05:03 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  Besides, are you really going to say that people who don't even know what autism is have been "faking" symptoms their whole lives to fool MRI scans?

The symptoms of such a nonexistent disease are (like I already said) a set of disliked behaviors. A person gets assigned such a disease based on which disease's symptoms match with their behaviors. In this case it's autism but it could have been any of those diseases.
02-14-2015 06:23 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(02-14-2015 06:23 AM)Jop Wrote:  
(02-14-2015 05:03 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  Besides, are you really going to say that people who don't even know what autism is have been "faking" symptoms their whole lives to fool MRI scans?

The symptoms of such a nonexistent disease are (like I already said) a set of disliked behaviors. A person gets assigned such a disease based on which disease's symptoms match with their behaviors. In this case it's autism but it could have been any of those diseases.

Firstly it's not a "disease" it's technical term is "disorder." And no, people are not assigned a disorder based on "difference" it is based on a well-documented contrast of the individual versus an individual without the symptoms. Saying otherwise doesn't make any sense. That's like saying depression, schizophrenia, or antisocial personality disorder aren't "real" disorders because they're just different behaviors exerted that were just "assigned" a disorder. Why single out autism? Disorders are very real.

Aside from that you can't fool an MRI.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 06:38 AM by Sociopath.)
02-14-2015 06:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Autism Swift 16 3,613 03-18-2009 11:19 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd
  Political Spectrum Quiz NiteRaidah 17 5,937 02-18-2009 09:39 PM
Last Post: random_name