RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Support Network next steps & call for participation
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Student Support Network next steps & call for participation

I've been talking with Lisa Cooley and some others about next steps for a network / organization / service set up to actually help unhappy students transform their situations. The idea is get in dialogue with your parents and even teachers and school district and explore options.

Hansgrohe, Neue and I set up the Student Support Network web site and FB group a few months back, but we haven't done much more. Meanwhile, lots of students and parents are other there, stuck dealing with school-as-usual in an age when so many better options are available... and so many people see the problem with school.

So, let's do something about it!

Here's some draft text Lisa wrote up as a mission statement:

Student Support Network is an outreach, advocacy and awareness network. Our primary mission is to mediate between discontented students, and the districts and families who must cope with them, and help find solutions. Many students feel stuck inside the factory model of schooling, and although they are disengaged, unhappy, or struggling, are still forced to attend whether they like it or not. Occasionally, they refuse to attend at all. We want to assist these students and provide them with as much help as possible.

We also raise awareness about the learning needs of youth, and promote greater respect and trust between all people in the education system, regardless of age. We educate the public about needed changes in the public education system.

The Student Support Network:
  • Provides support and resources to students unhappy with their school experiences;
  • Helps students and parents find common goals and work out better ways to deal with their unhappiness in school; works with students and parents to develop individual learning plans to present to schools;
  • Along with parents, mediates between students and schools to help meet students’ learning needs;
  • Advocates for students in the public/political arena, calling for widespread changes in public education;
  • Promotes the creation of independent unions and clubs that nonetheless operate within the school, made up and lead by students. ("School Survival Clubs" page on SSN)

So, thoughts?

Would any of you, and maybe your parents, be interested in participating in conversations about actually changing your school situations? This could take on many forms, including working with allies to ask your teachers and school to change how they do things, as well as figuring out how to learn beyond school. If your parents can learn to be at least partly supportive of questioning things, it could help a lot. One way for that to happen is for them to learn from and talk to other parents and educators who see the problems with the way school typically works.

Feel free to reply here, come into the chat, or PM me if you're interested in being involved in SSN in any way, including getting help talking to your parents.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-28-2014 06:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stupid blocked sites on your school's network schoolsux 37 20,354 11-25-2016 05:51 AM
Last Post: Gwedin
  IMPORTANT: Student Support Network needs writers! James Comey 10 4,374 12-05-2014 12:52 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  My schools network security Tasty Waffles 29 5,114 01-06-2009 06:59 AM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles
  What network does your school use? Blipo 6 2,338 04-08-2008 11:57 AM
Last Post: Darthmat
  Participation Grades as Behaviour Modification Faust 6 1,960 12-06-2007 12:59 AM
Last Post: Specter