RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is PC worth it?
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

I don't get why PC gets so much praise. Now, my family hasn't bought a new PC since '05, before PC GAYMING MUSTARD RACK was a big deal. However, we almost did, so I'll explain the experience the best I can.

First, you will have to pick to buy or build. Most PC gamers will recommend build, but here's the problem with that: Not everyone has an old PC case, or the patience, or the will to learn, or the money to buy extra parts just in case something goes wrong. The disadvantage to buying is that you don't get to pick your parts, you have to get a package, and you lose street cred.

Then, you have to pick your parts. If you picked buy, you will never get 100% what you want. You may find a PC with everything you want want, except it has GeForce when you like Radeon better. The problem with building is fluctuating part prices, and you may pay more than you think you are.

Then you must pick an Operating System. The obvious choice for gaming would be Windows. But which Windows? Windows 8 is faster and more cost-effective, but it has that stupid-ass Start Screen. Windows 7 is more user-friendly, but if you buy your PC, it's most likely not an option and it's less cost effective. And unless you are either stupid or in a better economic state than the 89%, you can't afford more than one PC.
So you may need to make a Hackintosh to run GarageBand for work. Or maybe you program on Linux, so you need Linux. The problem is WINE is laggy and most games don't have Mac OSX or (especially) Linux versions. You can dual-boot, but that will take a toll on your wallet.

For what? To play the same 4 genres that are synonymous to PC gaming:
1. First-Person
2. Open-World
3. Simulators
4. RTS

And First-Person is the only one of those that is really that great on PC compared to console. Most other genres are optimized for either console, handheld, or arcade. Here are some examples:
1. Platformer
2. Turn-Based RPG
3. Fighting Game
4. Sports Games
5. Vertical/Horizontal-Scrolling Shooters
6. Third-Person Shooters
7. Run-n'-Gun Games

Also, you will have to buy equipment upgrades every 1-3 years to play games because PC is always advancing, spending a total of $3200* on the PC by the time it dies. Also, you are doing this for the same games that are just as fun on the simpler Consoles (except First-Person Games) just because dem grephix are a bit better.

On console, while the last gen tried to be more like PCs and give you too many options, this generation is doing it right: One model of Xbox One, one model of PS4, two models of Wii U that don't have any additional anything except a game, three models of 3DS that have 95% the same hardware (2DS lacks 3D,) one model of PS Vita. See, PC isn't worth it for some graphics.

*estimate

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
06-07-2014 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

Building doesn't really take that long. Plug in a couple of wires, screw in a part here and there.

And with a degree of common sense, it isn't hard to figure out which part goes where.

I bet it'd take me a whole lot less than an hour to put together a pc(unless I get stuck up on my OCD of symmetric design and spend excessive amounts of time organizing the wiring so it looks right).

As for parts, just buy what you'd need more as best, then prioritize down. I'd probably spend more on graphics, processor, then memory,then ram, then everything else. Don't have to buy the best of everything to get a decent amount of stuff out of your PC(I'm using a 4 year old HP netbook that's on electric/heat life-support with mediocre parts yet my only biggest issue is the low memory, otherwise I can play a crap load of games at decent graphics at decent speeds)

For OS, I'd personally go with anything pre-Win 8 simply because I just don't like Win 8. Having used everything from 95 to Win 7, I think I'm more biased towards a design I've used for a while. And your PC can have more than 1 OS(I'd probably double-boot my desktop with Win 7 and some Linux distro...once I buy that one missing part)

As for equipment, I've got games from 1990 up till now to play, and that's a lot of games. It's likely my computer would sufer some failure by the time I got around to the newer games(after playing everything else). Not to mention if I start playing an MMORPG or something.

And I bought my PC as is. Then I just bought custom parts(though didn't replace everything, just some parts). The parts I took out to replace, I gave it to my father(so he could upgrade his older desktop).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-07-2014 01:50 PM
 Thanks given by: Gwedin
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

My reasons for going PC:

It's multipurpose.
Games are free. ARRRRRRGH MATEY. So what you pay extra for in hardware for extra graphics performance you will get back in free games. Razz Plus there's always Steam sales and whatnot if you're so inclined. Also old games. Mmmm.

(06-07-2014 01:08 PM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  Then you must pick an Operating System. The obvious choice for gaming would be Windows. But which Windows? Windows 8 is faster and more cost-effective, but it has that stupid-ass Start Screen.

>StartIsBack

I wouldn't use Windows 8 otherwise.

Quote: You can dual-boot, but that will take a toll on your wallet.

wut.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 02:10 PM by Gwedin.)
06-07-2014 02:09 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
RE: Why is PC worth it?

(06-07-2014 01:08 PM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  First, you will have to pick to buy or build. Most PC gamers will recommend build, but here's the problem with that: Not everyone has an old PC case, or the patience, or the will to learn, or the money to buy extra parts just in case something goes wrong.
You don't need this, besides there is eBay, and as long as you follow the steps correctly(and make sure you don't have any static electricity built up) you're good. also do your reasearch. As I say eBay and several Subreddits(/r/hardwareswap). Also it's not very hard to put together a computer, it's simply put Item B into Item A, plug in this cord to that plugand the other end into this plug, screw this into that, ect. Not that hard.
Quote:The disadvantage to buying is that you don't get to pick your parts, you have to get a package, and you lose street cred.
Fair enough, although never buy Alienware.
Quote:Then, you have to pick your parts. If you picked buy, you will never get 100% what you want. You may find a PC with everything you want want, except it has GeForce when you like Radeon better. The problem with building is fluctuating part prices, and you may pay more than you think you are.
Actually parts don't fluctuate that much, generally they go up or down, they go down as they get older, then bottom out before the manufacturer stops making them and the supply becomes limited, and I mean really limited, thus the price begins to rise.
Quote:Then you must pick an Operating System. The obvious choice for gaming would be Windows. But which Windows? Windows 8 is faster and more cost-effective, but it has that stupid-ass Start Screen. Windows 7 is more user-friendly, but if you buy your PC, it's most likely not an option and it's less cost effective. And unless you are either stupid or in a better economic state than the 89%, you can't afford more than one PC.
So you may need to make a Hackintosh to run GarageBand for work. Or maybe you program on Linux, so you need Linux. The problem is WINE is laggy and most games don't have Mac OSX or (especially) Linux versions. You can dual-boot, but that will take a toll on your wallet.
First off there is /r/softwareswap on reddit, which you get get Windows 7 ultimate for about $25 or less. Also Dual-boot doesn't take that much of a toll on your wallet. You can get two cheap HDD's(you can find them on eBay for less than $20) and use one for your OS's and one for everything else...also there are Virtual Machines.
Quote:For what? To play the same 4 genres that are synonymous to PC gaming:
1. First-Person
2. Open-World
3. Simulators
4. RTS

And First-Person is the only one of those that is really that great on PC compared to console. Most other genres are optimized for either console, handheld, or arcade. Here are some examples:
1. Platformer
2. Turn-Based RPG
3. Fighting Game
4. Sports Games
5. Vertical/Horizontal-Scrolling Shooters
6. Third-Person Shooters
7. Run-n'-Gun Games
Actually not necessarily true, plus you can use console controllers on PC, and you can also emulate other consoles on the PC as well.
Quote:Also, you will have to buy equipment upgrades every 1-3 years to play games because PC is always advancing, spending a total of $3200* on the PC by the time it dies. Also, you are doing this for the same games that are just as fun on the simpler Consoles (except First-Person Games) just because dem grephix are a bit better.
Actually you don't. You can sometimes go 5-6 years(or more) without upgrading all the time. This is a common fallacy, while you can upgrade that much it's not necessary. In fact I'm doing rather good with a Core 2 Duo(Conroe), and my nVidia 8400GS(which is considered one of the worst graphics cards ever, although it was rather cheap for me, and was released prior to windows 7). Also It's not just because of the graphics, but the framerate and the resolution. The Current Generation can not get True 1080p nor can they get past 30FPS. In fact the only thing that you probably would need to get more of, or upgrade, within that time span is your HDD, unless you are really unlucky.
Quote:On console, while the last gen tried to be more like PCs and give you too many options, this generation is doing it right: One model of Xbox One, one model of PS4, two models of Wii U that don't have any additional anything except a game, three models of 3DS that have 95% the same hardware (2DS lacks 3D,) one model of PS Vita. See, PC isn't worth it for some graphics.

*estimate
Also might I remind you that the previous console generation started out the same way. Although all consoles(exculding the Wii U) are still trying to be Computers, in fact they are computers for the most part(although the Wii U is technically part Computer, it's not trying to be a computer). Also again it isn't the graphics. It's also different things. Besides with a good computer you can have 2+ screens and multitask(play a game on one screen(or several games) or have the game spread out on one monitor.

Also I prefer PC due to the fact that you aren't stuck with outdated hardware(in about 2-3 years the Consoles will be outdated, and probably have several different models, excluding Nintendo...because well it's Nintendo), you can upgrade, you can play most(if not all) games better, you have better deals, you have more games, you have more freedom, you have higher FPS. Also one final thing, you will save a lot of money from games because of Steam. Steam has sales every day, and they also have the Summer Sale. You can get 10 games(give or take a few, depending on the price) on the PC than you can for the Console. Also the Console doesn't really have Free to Play games, unlike the PC. Finally unlike the current generation of Consoles, you don't have to pay for online services(minus things like Netflix), other than your ISP.

Edit: And again you can use eBay buy an old computer for cheap(got mine for $52.99 USD(free shipping) and with other parts it cost me around $132.95) and get custom parts.

Also /r/pcmasterrace it's a great area to get a lot of information

Edit 2: Also something I forgot to mention, there are mods for games, which can change game-play and make it a brand new game, plus communities are better. And also GTA IV with certain mods looks better than GTA V.

Edit 3: Also with Steam sales and whatnot, you can end up with a backlog(a bunch of games you haven't played, nor really care about playing, you got them because of the deal more than likely), and sometimes you can get games(like Battlefield 3) for free. I DARE you to do that on a Console, legally, without paying for a subscription service.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-07-2014 04:12 PM
 Thanks given by: (´・ω・`)
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

MAME, the one and only Biggrin (I as a CAVE addict couldn't live without it)
Also emulators. Even if you have a potato like me the emulators alone make having a PC worth it.

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 04:31 PM by (´・ω・`).)
06-07-2014 04:30 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(06-07-2014 04:30 PM)Neue Wrote:  MAME, the one and only Biggrin (I as a CAVE addict couldn't live without it)
Also emulators. Even if you have a potato like me the emulators alone make having a PC worth it.

I only use emulators for classic game mods or until I can afford classic games and consoles except MAME, because who the fuck can afford boards like that?

City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
06-08-2014 12:13 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Why is PC worth it?

#pcbmasterrace

No, but seriously. I plan to at least get a Strikers 1945 PCB since those can be found at rather affordable prices. Also, it helps if you know things.

Hidden stuff:

06-08-2014 12:18 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(06-07-2014 02:09 PM)Gwedin Wrote:  My reasons for going PC:

It's multipurpose.
Games are free. ARRRRRRGH MATEY. So what you pay extra for in hardware for extra graphics performance you will get back in free games. Razz Plus there's always Steam sales and whatnot if you're so inclined. Also old games. Mmmm.

(06-07-2014 01:08 PM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  Then you must pick an Operating System. The obvious choice for gaming would be Windows. But which Windows? Windows 8 is faster and more cost-effective, but it has that stupid-ass Start Screen.

>StartIsBack

I wouldn't use Windows 8 otherwise.

Quote: You can dual-boot, but that will take a toll on your wallet.

wut.
True.........but what if you can't afford good enough specs and find that out later? And if you are referencing emulators, I prefer using the actual classic consoles. But yes, Classic PC games are great.

As for Startisback, I prefer Classic Shell because....IT'S FREE!

In the case of Mac OS, that can cost much assuming you are buying legally.

06-08-2014 12:24 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Why is PC worth it?

But in response to the original point, in terms of what you said about non-first person genres. That's true, but only partially, and only on the AAA level. All of the exciting development in independent arenas is on PC, and in terms of the low barrier to entry, I foresee that as soon as PCs as seamless as consoles are made, even the AAAs will migrate over here (since, among other things, there's no asinine SDK costs and license requirements).

Perhaps stated in a more generalized fashion, genres are often more suited to certain mediums then others. But to say that a genre doesn't see interesting development just because it's for a platform it wasn't designed for is rather an absurd claim to make.

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 12:38 AM by (´・ω・`).)
06-08-2014 12:25 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Why is PC worth it?

There is ONE thing I like about PC, but it's from a developer standpoint, not a gamer standpoint (the one I was focusing on.)

I love how anyone can develop a PC game if they have the will to. I like the fact that it's open. Anyone can get their start there. I'd love to design console games, but I have to start at PC. Unfortunately, Windows 8 threatens that with Microsoft's App Store.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 04:00 AM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
06-08-2014 04:00 AM
WalterScottDempsey Offline
Renegade

Given 51 thank(s) in 31 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

I like the PC platform because if something goes wrong I can troubleshoot and then replace that particular part. I also like the ability to have a rolling update on parts instead of being held back by specs. The only system I can think of that comes close to this is the Genesis with the 32x and the CD addon, and the addon system was, sadly, a failure.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 04:34 AM by WalterScottDempsey.)
06-08-2014 04:34 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

As a general rule, PCs can vary heavily. I'll say that.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
06-08-2014 06:56 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Why is PC worth it?

(06-08-2014 04:00 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  There is ONE thing I like about PC, but it's from a developer standpoint, not a gamer standpoint (the one I was focusing on.)

I love how anyone can develop a PC game if they have the will to. I like the fact that it's open. Anyone can get their start there. I'd love to design console games, but I have to start at PC. Unfortunately, Windows 8 threatens that with Microsoft's App Store.

Actually it also helps the gamer standpoint as well. It leads to a larger variety of games, it leads to the gamer having more games, plus you do save a lot of money. There is also the standpoint of mods which can make old games into brand new ones, and can make old games look better than ones released today(GTA IV with graphical mods looks better than GTA V). Also it is better for your eyes to have a higher FPS. Also again you aren't slave to the system itself and if something goes wrong you can fix it. Also might I add that most PC gamers have a backlog of games on steam, and also PC games are typically cheaper than their PS3 counterparts, like BF3 on Origin, which was free. Also might I point out that you do save money by being on the PC for gaming, instead of spending $60+ on one game, you can spend the same amount(or less) for more games.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

06-08-2014 09:31 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(06-08-2014 09:31 AM)Chanku Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 04:00 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  There is ONE thing I like about PC, but it's from a developer standpoint, not a gamer standpoint (the one I was focusing on.)

Actually it also helps the gamer standpoint as well. It leads to a larger variety of games, it leads to the gamer having more games, plus you do save a lot of money. There is also the standpoint of mods which can make old games into brand new ones, and can make old games look better than ones released today(GTA IV with graphical mods looks better than GTA V). Also it is better for your eyes to have a higher FPS. Also again you aren't slave to the system itself and if something goes wrong you can fix it. Also might I add that most PC gamers have a backlog of games on steam, and also PC games are typically cheaper than their PS3 counterparts, like BF3 on Origin, which was free. Also might I point out that you do save money by being on the PC for gaming, instead of spending $60+ on one game, you can spend the same amount(or less) for more games.

True, but it's really both a bad thing and a good thing. It leads to more shovelware (you just don't hear about it as much as the Wii or Kinect because families buy the Wii and Kinect.) And yes, mods are good (they are the reason I wouldn't buy Sonic Generations on 360 or PS3.)

06-08-2014 10:41 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Why is PC worth it?

Also I see you have not actually responded to my first post here.

06-08-2014 11:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

One reason: Control.

Control over where my files go. Over how the games look. Over how my controls themselves are mapped... Automated backups of savegames. I can make scripts to do stuff for me. I can easily pirate games if I just want to check them out (lol I buy far more than I pirate these days... and I always buy a game I pirated if I keep on playing it and enjoy it - but it's nice to have the option).

Also... MODS! Biggrin

So really, I prefer PC just because I get pissed off at the limitations on consoles (and Android too, even, though not quite as much). Actually Steam pisses me off too for similar reasons... and I haven't figured out how to hack it yet... but I know there has to be a way.

Yes, I do have to clean out the dust every now and then... change the odd fan, upgrade a component every few years... I'll gladly do that to avoid the frustration of not having enough control over my own stuff.

Even my laptop is one of those custom pick your own parts things. The only thing I couldn't pick was the keyboard... and I don't like the keyboard :(

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-09-2014 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(06-09-2014 12:32 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  One reason: Control.

Control over where my files go. Over how the games look. Over how my controls themselves are mapped... Automated backups of savegames. I can make scripts to do stuff for me. I can easily pirate games if I just want to check them out (lol I buy far more than I pirate these days... and I always buy a game I pirated if I keep on playing it and enjoy it - but it's nice to have the option).

Also... MODS! Biggrin

So really, I prefer PC just because I get pissed off at the limitations on consoles (and Android too, even, though not quite as much). Actually Steam pisses me off too for similar reasons... and I haven't figured out how to hack it yet... but I know there has to be a way.

Yes, I do have to clean out the dust every now and then... change the odd fan, upgrade a component every few years... I'll gladly do that to avoid the frustration of not having enough control over my own stuff.

Even my laptop is one of those custom pick your own parts things. The only thing I couldn't pick was the keyboard... and I don't like the keyboard :(

You don't need control over that on console because everything is pre-mapped to a comfortable (for most people) setting, and I like how you can play every game for a console if you have said console. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP SAVEGAMES? You got me there with the pirates.

Doesn't frustrate me, but that's me and I grew up on Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo DS.

Does it have detachable keys? Maybe that could help.

06-09-2014 02:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Why is PC worth it?

Oh, I don't need to be able to change my controls, because other people have set it to something that makes sense for them? Rolleyes Screw them, I want to be able to map everything myself. I also want to be able to use a mouse and keyboard, or my joystick, or my steering wheel. Some PC games have the same problem where they don't let you change the controls - in most cases this can be fixed using AutoHotKey, though.

For automatic savegame backups, I use FreeFileSync, and sync selected folders between whatever I want (currently my laptop and PC).

As for the keyboard, I don't think they're detachable. It's just one of those generic cheap chiclet style keyboards with the really big buttons that sometimes don't register properly if you hit them at an angle. I prefer the older scissor-key keyboards.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-09-2014 03:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Command Console.

God's gift to all PC users.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-09-2014 03:16 AM
 Thanks given by: (´・ω・`)
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Why is PC worth it?

Also might I add that the console editions of Watchdogs were leaked before the PC leak, and had more downloads. Also if you want you can also use the controllers on the console. Hell with the right modifications/adapters you can use a SNES or NES controller if you wanted to.

06-09-2014 08:31 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

(06-07-2014 01:08 PM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  First, you will have to pick to buy or build. Most PC gamers will recommend build, but here's the problem with that: Not everyone has an old PC case, or the patience, or the will to learn, or the money to buy extra parts just in case something goes wrong.

You don't use an "old PC case", you usually buy one. They're fairly cheap.
No patience? Fair enough, whatever. The will to learn? There really isn't much to learn, the only thing you're "learning" is where each part goes; the rest is shit i'd hope you're already capable of doing; screwing screws, putting things into place, connecting wires. Lack of money is a fair point, PC's are expensive.

Quote:The disadvantage to buying is that you don't get to pick your parts, you have to get a package, and you lose street cred.

Can't be arsed to find a link, but there's websites where you pick the parts you want, someone else builds it, and you wait for the PC to arrive in the mail. That's the "proper" way to buy a prebuilt pc; the websites where you can choose your parts and they just build it for you and ship it to you. Package deals are a joke, and no, you don't have to get one. And street cred? Who even cares about that?

Quote:Then, you have to pick your parts. If you picked buy, you will never get 100% what you want.

See above.

Quote: The problem with building is fluctuating part prices, and you may pay more than you think you are.

Generally, part prices go down as time goes on. They don't randomly jump up and down, and it's pretty easy to find good deals and discounts on good parts.

Quote:Then you must pick an Operating System.

For gaming specifically, windows. This leaves you with two options; 7 or 8, and that's up to personal preference. As long as you're aware of what you want, it's not a difficult decision to make.

Quote:So you may need to make a Hackintosh to run GarageBand for work. Or maybe you program on Linux, so you need Linux. The problem is WINE is laggy and most games don't have Mac OSX or (especially) Linux versions. You can dual-boot, but that will take a toll on your wallet.

Linux is free, IIRC. As for mac..
http://thepiratebay.se/

Duel-booting doesn't cost a thing.

Quote:Also, you will have to buy equipment upgrades every 1-3 years to play games because PC is always advancing,

No, you won't, unless you want to keep your shit as up-to-date as possible. Assuming you put a decent amount of money into the initial build, it should be fine for many years to come.

Quote:Also, you are doing this for the same games that are just as fun on the simpler Consoles (except First-Person Games) just because dem grephix are a bit better.

Just because graphics are better? That isn't the only reason to choose PC over consoles. Other reasons include the fact that it's a computer and has hundreds of other functions besides gaming that consoles don't have, more control over your hardware and software, more customization options, lasts longer, you have the ability to personally solve most issues that may come up, ect ect ect

Quote: See, PC isn't worth it for some graphics.

See above. It's worth it because it gives you far, FAR more than consoles can, not just graphics.

The only possible drawback that comes to mind when choosing PC over consoles is the cost, and maybe if you're lazy, having to build it.
06-10-2014 01:29 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , (´・ω・`)