RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economies and Economics of a Sort in High School(and/or school in general)
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Alright so while this is a general topic for talking about and explaining possible Economics in High school(or school in general), that occur.

Something that I've found is that in my school, food has a value and is somewhat equal to that of a currency, and also the creation of a barter like system. For example people who get cafeteria food from one line, might not have known that something they liked more than what they got was in another line(or found out, but was too late), therefor they may trade foods with other students to try and get that item. Students will also try and give away food they don't like, or food that friends might want. Also sometimes food will exchange hands for money as well(although this is less of an occurrence within the student body from what I've observed). Food also has a general property of equivalence within the Student Body for some foods, such as candy like Shockerz, or Doritos, or even soda. For example Blue Shockerz are the most valuable and having one(or more of them) seem to give you a better ground than others(although this does vary person to person, and as such it will vary). However it seems food from the Cafeteria itself seems to have a lower value than other foods.

I find it interesting to see how this will evolve next year with the removal of all junk food, and the replacement of healthy food. Although this would most likely create a market by the students, which I plan to try and get into although my plans for that are for a different topic at a different time. However with the Student Market of Junk Food(also known as the Junk Food Cartel/Candy Cartel by some members on here, whom get it as a joke), the Values of certain foods are more than likely going to change a lot with the shift of prices, due to the fact the supply of the Food will be less, due to it being supplied by students, and the cost of the food which won't be bought in Bulk(at least for a while) thus increasing costs for a period of time.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-20-2014 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

If I were you I'd bring in candy and other stuff people like, so you can make some extra cash. The removal of all junk food will create a lower supply, and if demand stays the same you should be able to get a higher price than before for the same amount of product.

All other things being equal, of course. It's possible that some kids won't have the same amount of buying power for junk food provided on the underground market because their parents subsidized or outright paid for the food from the school, but they won't have this subsidy when buying food you bring.

Personally, I think it's a golden opportunity. If you go into business, don't get caught and guard your stash from thieves.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

05-20-2014 01:55 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Me and some friends did something like this in school.

We grabbed an unused locker in a blind zone of the school(no camera view and very rarely traveled by teachers or admins), put a lock on it, and unofficially made it known we were selling junk food and soda from it.

We used the earnings to pay for our ski trip, and then for dinner.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-20-2014 02:05 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Actually I do plan to do that Wes. I'm not sure how to distribute it yet though.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-20-2014 02:34 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

You'll make a killing, I wish I could invest.

05-20-2014 02:36 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Yeah. I mean I'll start small at first, maybe only a few sodas, chips, candy, gum, ect. then I get more business I'll expand. I know I'm not the only one in the school with this idea and it will occur to others(hopefully either that or idiots are at my school), I just need to figure out how to distribute.

05-20-2014 02:38 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

You need to get in there early and make a name for yourself. Be the best.

05-20-2014 02:49 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

True, but getting word out is tricky.

05-20-2014 03:10 PM
Zo Offline
avoiding perpetual homework tides

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
RE: Economies and Economics of a Sort in High School(and/or school in general)

(05-20-2014 02:05 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Me and some friends did something like this in school.

We grabbed an unused locker in a blind zone of the school(no camera view and very rarely traveled by teachers or admins), put a lock on it, and unofficially made it known we were selling junk food and soda from it.

We used the earnings to pay for our ski trip, and then for dinner.

This is brilliant. How did you get the locker? Did it belong to one of you, or was it one of those broken ones without a lock that you just claimed?
05-22-2014 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

It was on the lowest floor in the corner of the school where there was no real hallway activity(there was the computer class but it was locked when there was no class, and we generally operated during lunch or after-school). It was kinda banged up and the lever was a bit off(after screwing around with it a little, we learned that giving it a nice kick before trying to open it helped a lot). Our school lockers didn't come with locks, we had to supply our own Razz

During this time I wasn't using a locker(sharing just the top shelf of a friends locker because that's all I really needed), so I had a spare lock. We just used that, and all my friends involved in the operation knew the code.

We in fact once used club money to make our purchase of goods to sell.

Come to think of it, my class was probably the master of cheating, deception and fraud. At least the males. We'd steal tests(my friend broke into one teacher's drawer once, and we always had access afterward to those tests), sneak in homework, make adjustments to things before they were graded. I never really relied on the cheating(I did supply the answers though, and I did take a look at the questions to just figure out what we'd be asked) but I can't say it didn't help simplify life.

We'd make great corporate capitalists ya know?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-22-2014 12:49 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Attack dogs used on High School Walkout in MD. gore goroth 7 3,049 04-05-2012 12:17 PM
Last Post: Efs
  58% of students leave high school without knowing mathematics in SP Luizao876 6 3,170 03-09-2012 03:42 AM
Last Post: The Shadowman
  Economics and Politics Gaiyara 6 2,261 04-22-2009 12:08 PM
Last Post: classclown