RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really need some help guys......
rockstarjim22 Offline
"I see no god up here, only Doge"

Given 47 thank(s) in 32 post(s)

I had yet another panic attack. I really need some help here. Heres the story. Well, it was nearing the end of 2nd period when all of the sudden I started to feel REALLY nauseous and I started sweating and getting hot flashes. It went on for about 10 minutes. 10 minutes of pure torture. I felt like I was going to constantly throw up. I felt like I was overheating, even though I had my sweatshirt off. I can't take this shit anymore. What the hell do I do?

I am 14, and have my own computer repair business! And I'm a small time DJ also. No joke.

If you need tech support, PM me. Everything's free of charge. I use Teamviewer in case it's needed.

[Image: card.png]

[Image: 42486.png]
04-29-2014 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
RE: I really need some help guys......

One step is to look at your sources of anxiety and stress, overall.

What are your stressors? Did anything in particular lead up to this panic attack?

Also... how frequently do you experience things like this?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
04-29-2014 06:15 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

See a doctor
They have meds that'll clear any panic attacks right up and although it isn't a good choice for long-term management of stress, it'll keep things calm so you can find a more permanent solution.

Is there anything in particular causing these panic attacks or do they happen without notice for no apparent reason?
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 06:17 AM by Username.)
04-29-2014 06:16 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I highly recommend seeking professional medical attention as quickly as you can. This is important for two reasons: You most likely won't experience any more in the near future if you are treated, and these panic attacks might be the sign of an even worse condition that may require medical attention (which is unlikely, but seeing a doctor is the best thing for such a contingency).

If you cannot get medical help, consult the other posts within this thread, including the ones that say "go see a doctor".

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-29-2014 06:27 AM
 Thanks given by: James Comey
rockstarjim22 Offline
"I see no god up here, only Doge"

Given 47 thank(s) in 32 post(s)

Well, its just the stress of school and my daily life. My only release if that stress is either creating music with FL Studio or playing on my Xbox 360, and my parents don't allow me to do either of those.

I am 14, and have my own computer repair business! And I'm a small time DJ also. No joke.

If you need tech support, PM me. Everything's free of charge. I use Teamviewer in case it's needed.

[Image: card.png]

[Image: 42486.png]
04-29-2014 06:33 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

If you have enough stress to cause panic attacks

Then you probably be best seeing a professional

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-29-2014 09:50 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(04-29-2014 04:59 AM)rockstarjim22 Wrote:  And I really need some advice on this. Im actually scared of these. I don't know what to do :(

Do you have any kind of doctor, nurse, or therapist you can talk to about these?

Have you talked to your family?

In terms of steps you can take:

(1) Keep a log of when these happen, with details. In general, journaling about your experiences can be a useful practice. (Writing here is one way to do that.)

(2) One common solution to panic attacks and anxiety disorders in general is called cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT. A therapist can help you with this, but CBT it based on practices you implement yourself, like noticing and recording your "automatic thoughts." (These are thoughts that come to mind reactively.)

CBT is a form of a general skill called metacognition. This means thinking about your thinking (and learning about your learning.) In short, learning to notice your states of mind, thoughts, and feelings can help empower you to be somewhat more in charge of your mind.

For example, sometimes people engage in what's called catastrophizing, a.k.a., imagining a worst possible outcome. If you tend to do that, it could lead to ongoing anxiety and/or panic attacks. If so, it's possible to learn how to change that habit. (What is Catastrophizing?

(2) Some people find mindfulness meditation useful for reducing anxiety and generally having more control over their minds. These practices, like CBT, have been shown to actually change firing patterns in the brain. Here's a link about a news anchor who found meditation to be helpful for panic attacks: http://radioboston.wbur.org/2014/03/19/dan-harris] ABC News Anchor Dan Harris Discovers Meditation To Quiet His Inner Demons (audio and book excerpt.)

Like CBT and journaling, mindfulness meditation involves learning and practicing methods of becoming more aware of your mind (and body), and while a professional can help you learn these techniques, it's up to you to put them into practice.

(3) Doctors can prescribe medications that treat panic and anxiety. Sometimes these have side-effects like drowsiness or cognitive impairment, but some people find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Overall, it sounds like you have ample cause to see a professional. I'd suggest trying to find one who's familiar with social media and has some kind of online presence. You can use Psychology Today's therapist search to research options. If you can find one or more professionals who can relate to your issues with school, and even talk to us, as well, even better.

You'll have to see a doctor (MD) like a psychiatrist in order to get meds. Most likely it would make sense to see a therapist as well. Somehow, you, your family, and/or insurance will have to pay for this... so find out what insurance you have and find some professionals who accept it.

Overall, is your family supportive? Have you talked to them about your problems?

What about a school nurse? In the short term, if you're having a panic attack, it's best if you can inform your teachers and see the nurse until it's over. A doctor or other professional can also probably give you a note that can give you some flexibility in class.

Also, have you had an overall medical checkup lately? That might not be a bad idea, either, to rule out any other issues.

On that note, diet and exercise are another thing to look at. If you eat better, and identify and avoid foods that you might have allergies or sensitivities to, it could help. Likewise, getting regular exercise can make a big difference with your overall health.

I hope that helps... let us know what you find more helpful and any more details that might be relevant.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
04-29-2014 08:21 PM