RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide Comes Up Again
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

First my favorite YouTuber. Now people on twitter.

So, I have a twitter. I use it to see what's up with some YouTubers I watch. But there's a new use for it. Sometimes, some is saying how someone is about to off themselves. I go and try to talk them out of it.

I've done this 4 times now. 2 incidents with two girls. The first time, she went to therapy before she did anything. The second time she came to her senses on her own. But then the second girl came in.

The third time she took pills, but flushed them down with milk and water. The fourth time I failed. She's alive because she went to the hospital and was resuscitated just before she was pronounced dead. The doctors said it was a miracle. But I failed at my part.

The first girl looks to be ok for the moment, but the second is very sad and very unstable. Her friend told me why: Her parents are fucking assholes. I want to help her with that, but she's an acquaintance on twitter She's being pushed to the point of suicide, and I can't do any fucking thing about it.

What do I do? I talked to her about some therapy techniques, but she's doubtful. What if she succeeds the next time? Can I do anything?

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 10:46 PM by Subb.)
09-06-2013 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

Talk to the parents?

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
09-06-2013 08:14 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

Get her to read this:
http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

Basically she needs to find other options that seem at least as viable as suicide as a way of stopping the pain. Like some way to get away from her parents... running away even, or calling CPS, or whatever. Yeah, those aren't easy options either, but you know what they say about worthwhile things...

You did good, though. Saving 2 people is no small matter. Hug

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-06-2013 10:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha , vonunov
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

RE: Suicide Comes Up Again

I can't mention the parents to her. Only a few people know, and her friend told me. Not her. I'm not even sure that I should've put that in there.

I think I'll keep that link, Soul. I like it "Suicide is what happens when pain exeeds."

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
09-06-2013 10:45 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

Suicide is a very strange thing for humans(and animals but that's another topic). While we've got a bunch of "protocols" for survival and self-preservation, we're actually capable of consciously seeking to end our lives and harm our survival and self-preservation.

I'd think to think of it as mental claustrophobia. Like that link says about the exceeding pain. Resources exist but the person allows the pain to blind their mind. I'd guess that since homo sapiens are more oriented toward social interaction, the sense of having that interacting cut off(or jammed), causes a drastic mental anxiety. It's like a borg being disconnected from the hive.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-07-2013 04:56 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Suicide Comes Up Again

Yeah, that makes sense. And almost every case of depression begins with a traumatic experience from another human. Or in an extremely stressful situation.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
09-07-2013 05:05 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

Don't bother with the therapy.

It's really a cause and effect, and her parents are the cause. You need to fix that, rather than getting someone to tell her that it's not that bad. ("Oh shit, I got a dagger stuck in my ribs!" "Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be okay!")
09-07-2013 07:58 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Suicide Comes Up Again

Actually it will be okay as long as you don't yank the dagger out, then you'll just gush blood and die, which would be bad.

Therapy might help independent adults, but it doesn't work when the people in charge of therapy totally neglect the whole "dependent" portion of a non-adult, the part where they're sort of stuck under their parents' thumbs. That's usually a point of stress behind most problems. School would be the other major point. Another point said therapists ignore as well(or consider a point of stress-relief, which is far worse)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 09:01 AM by brainiac3397.)
09-07-2013 09:01 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

Quote:Actually it will be okay as long as you don't yank the dagger out, then you'll just gush blood and die, which would be bad.
:(

It might slice up your lungs if it moves around. :/
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 02:20 AM by Lime.)
09-08-2013 02:20 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Suicide Comes Up Again

The body will provide some level of suction to keep the dagger in place. The dagger will work as a sort of dam to prevent you from pouring out all your blood. So unless someone has their hand on the dagger and is wiggling it around, you should be fine if you don't make any erractic movements(or wiggle the dagger yourself because it looks funny)

If a dagger is that close to your lungs, you would probably not survive very long anyway. You'd probably end up with a collapsed lung if the dagger punctures the cavity(the cavity where your lung is located in), even if it misses the lung. So I think a sliced up lung would be the least of your worries at that point.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-08-2013 06:29 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

I'm sad to report that she attempted again. I wasn't on twitter, so I couldn't do anything. Her last tweet was about forty minutes ago. I sent her that link, but I'm sure was too late.

News to come later. See if she comes back on. She wanted to go quietly, to not look like a drama queen, so she isn't gonna be on twitter unless she's okay.

UPDATE: One of her friends says that she's fine, and has been messaging her. No tweets from her, yet.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 03:34 PM by Subb.)
09-16-2013 01:51 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

We know the time has come when we must decide to announce our suicide with 140 characters and hashtags...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-17-2013 02:01 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

(09-17-2013 02:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  We know the time has come when we must decide to announce our suicide with 140 characters and hashtags...

"Going 2 kill myself 2nite @ my house c u guys l8r"
#Fuck This Shit #Rage Quit
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 05:03 AM by Dead.)
09-17-2013 05:02 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

(09-17-2013 05:02 AM)Dead Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 02:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  We know the time has come when we must decide to announce our suicide with 140 characters and hashtags...

"Going 2 kill myself 2nite @ my house c u guys l8r"
#Fuck This Shit #Rage Quit

This was her last tweet, edited to be a bit more formal.

"Bye. I love you all so much, please don't follow my footsteps. It's the least I expect from you."

Please joke about announcing suicide on twitter again.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
09-17-2013 06:05 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

(09-17-2013 06:05 AM)SubCulture Wrote:  Please joke about announcing suicide on twitter again.

[Image: memes_write_suicide_note_on_facebook_mem...60-580.jpg]

Close enough
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 08:00 AM by Dead.)
09-17-2013 07:22 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

I can now say that she's fine. She got back from the hospital a few hours ago. This is the second time in ten days. Her parents need to get her help.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2013 01:39 AM by Subb.)
09-17-2013 02:46 PM
Xicotc Offline
One Crazy Creeper

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

It seems to me, that the only way that I have gotten through something is long and deep. (No GIGGITY!) Meditation. That always helps me when I am going through something bad. It makes me think, meditation is not just that, "Oooom" stuff. It is healthy and balances everything. You do not have to necessarily, clear your mind. Just relax, breathe easy. The easiest way is in water. A nice warm bath.
09-20-2013 10:47 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Suicide Comes Up Again

I wonder if it has to do with our obsession over external self-imagery. We expect the mirror(or society, your pick) to define who we are, and not ourselves to. The only thing I used the mirror for shaving(got to make sure I don't cut parts of my beard I don't want to cut) or to check my teeth before/after brushing. And to see if I've gotten my bow-tie on correctly(very infrequently, since the last time I've worn it was at graduation)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-21-2013 04:27 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

What's so bad about suicide if someone just doesn't fucking want to live in certain conditions anymore???
09-21-2013 05:28 AM
 Thanks given by: no
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

If you don't like hearing about suicide, stay away from DnE

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
09-21-2013 06:05 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(09-21-2013 05:28 AM)LedoS Wrote:  What's so bad about suicide if someone just doesn't fucking want to live in certain conditions anymore???

I have no problem with people "removing" themselves from the human population(unless it interferes with public transportation. Because then they ruin everyone's day). However, suicide tends to be a bit drastic simply because they feel abandoned or restricted in some way. Usually they restrict themselves more often than others restricting them with negative thoughts and self-isolation(perceived as abandonment).

Course its expected from such a social based animal specie such as ourselves(still waiting for the day I upload my conscious into a computer or robotic body).

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-21-2013 03:56 PM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

(09-21-2013 03:56 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  (still waiting for the day I upload my conscious into a computer or robotic body).

Nice.
09-21-2013 09:07 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

(09-17-2013 02:46 PM)SubCulture Wrote:  I can now say that she's fine. She got back from the hospital a few hours ago. This is the second time in ten days. Her parents need to get her help.

Good to hear she's alive... but ... why is she so suicidal?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-21-2013 11:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

She tweeted about this, so I feel better anout saying it on here. Her mom didn't want her and says all sorts of mean things to her, and her dad hits her.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
09-22-2013 02:43 PM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)
Suicide Comes Up Again

You need to tell her she has to find some sort of other living arrangement. Her life will only be miserable if she continues to live this miserable life.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
09-22-2013 03:43 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(09-22-2013 02:43 PM)SubCulture Wrote:  She tweeted about this, so I feel better anout saying it on here. Her mom didn't want her and says all sorts of mean things to her, and her dad hits her.

I think that's enough a reason to get govt involved(no matter how annoying it is to get the state involved in family). Verbal AND physical abuse...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-22-2013 03:45 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

I need help right fucking now. She's locked in her room, and her mom is starving her. She has pills. I gave her a child abuse hotline, but they would hear her. I don't think I know enough to call it or do anything. She needs to get out of that house

UPDATE: She threw away the pills, and is out of her room. She'll try tough it out, but I think she needs to call the number I gave her when she can.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013 06:27 AM by Subb.)
09-23-2013 06:00 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Suicide Comes Up Again

You have to, and I mean you MUST, tell her to call the hotline number. No freaking way you'll let her get starved to death by her fucking hellish mother.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

09-23-2013 01:36 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

(09-23-2013 01:36 PM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  You have to, and I mean you MUST, tell her to call the hotline number. No freaking way you'll let her get starved to death by her fucking hellish mother.

She won't, for some reason. She determined in "proving her wrong" or some shit.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
09-23-2013 02:17 PM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Suicide Comes Up Again

Tell her that if she keeps going on with the "proving her wrong", it's only going to make her mother more angry, and she'll never get out of her abuse situation that way, and it'll only make it worse.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff: