RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I am finally getting rid off my emotions.
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

The answer? Less oxygen levels, but I don't know how to get rid of emotions safely to do this. I already have sleep-deprived myself, almost no emotions, so much better. No capability to feel sad, anger, happy, aesthentic attraction, etc... All I can think is through reasons. My breathing rate is slower too.

ZZZ...
12-19-2012 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That sounds unhealthy... >_>

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-20-2012 12:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: sswbm
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

RE: I think I am finally getting rid off my emotions.

Yep, but I made my decision to sleep-deprive myself as a habit now and then to slowly get rid of the emotional pathways in my brain. I been through surgery, I was only less cynic till oxygen level rises back to do normal and anesthesia side effect went away. I think this is my plan for eliminating emotions, next part of the plan involves taking pills when needed to get rid of the emotional side effect. Basically, what I'm doing is reducing emotional responses and not letting it out slowly getting rid of it.

ZZZ...
12-20-2012 12:16 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Why do you want to get rid of your emotions?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
12-20-2012 01:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Quote:I think I am finally getting rid off my emotions.

This sounds similar to a process at the core of Buddhism. They feel that problems in life come from our desires so that the conquest of desire will bring happiness.

I think that emotions were given to us for two reasons. The first is to enjoy life, the second is to act like a smoke detector and tell us when something is wrong.

If the alarm is going off all the time it can seem like the only option is to disconnect it. However, there are other possibilities you may want to explore.

1. Suppose there is something mechanically wrong with the alarm. Your body may be making chemicals that sound an alarm when there is no reason. Your body may be missing chemicals it needs to know when to sound an alarm. You may want to experiment with supplements like Inositol (the old vitamin B8) or Lithium orate. There are many other compounds that can significantly affect how you feel. A doctor might be able to help, but more often than not they just give you a tranquilizer and move on to their next patient.

2. Suppose that you have experienced something in the past that now sets off your alarm. A person that was abused or treated poorly can find that years later they still have reflex reactions that haunt them. The influence of these reflexes can be reduced.

3. Suppose that you already know what the cause of the alarm is but just cannot figure out another way to deal with it. There may be people who can give you advice on how to deal with whatever situation is triggering the emotional alarm condition.

Driving yourself to an emotionless state may not be the only viable option for you.
12-20-2012 03:10 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(12-20-2012 01:58 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Why do you want to get rid of your emotions?

They don't seem to helping me and does far more damages. Actually, I been able to do things better without emotions and sticking strictly to reasons. Emotions doesn't necessarily aid my survival at all. So emotions being gone is my option and I already have chosen it. I find it easier to eat, easier to actually form healthier habits, easier to think without emotions and I also find it easier to keep my dogs healthier. I also find it much easier to cope with the fact that there are things I don't want to remember as they are of useless memories i.e high school, the missing feelings of what it like to actually love a girl, etc. It all seems that instincts are so unreliable except the basic survival responses which are not necessarily connected with emotions.

ZZZ...
12-20-2012 03:49 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

(12-20-2012 03:49 AM)Reptorian Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 01:58 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Why do you want to get rid of your emotions?

They don't seem to helping me and does far more damages. Actually, I been able to do things better without emotions and sticking strictly to reasons. Emotions doesn't necessarily aid my survival at all. So emotions being gone is my option and I already have chosen it. I find it easier to eat, easier to actually form healthier habits, easier to think without emotions and I also find it easier to keep my dogs healthier. I also find it much easier to cope with the fact that there are things I don't want to remember as they are of useless memories i.e high school, the missing feelings of what it like to actually love a girl, etc. It all seems that instincts are so unreliable except the basic survival responses which are not necessarily connected with emotions.

I've actually wished I didn't care about my emotions, but did not want to make them disappear though. I don't know if you want a tip, but I think it's better mastering and being able to control your emotions than trying to get rid of them. Because I find reasons pathetic. Master control. Master to understand your own feelings and emotions.
12-20-2012 03:54 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Why is reasons pathetic? To me, I find so much easier to get along in a day operating solely on reasons.

ZZZ...
12-20-2012 04:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Okay, so you can 'get by' better without emotions, especially if the emotions are generally negative ones. That makes sense. But that's not much of a life... it doesn't sound enjoyable (and how would it be if you can't feel joy)...

Do you plan to do this as a permanent solution, or is it temporary until you can find a way to control the emotions better?

Hidden stuff:
12-20-2012 04:27 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Having consciousness is enough for me. I don't care to be happy, I just rather be content. I'll do it as a permanent solution as I already figured out what to do to slow rid of my emotions.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 04:45 AM by Reptorian.)
12-20-2012 04:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

OK... whatever works for you...

I'm curious, does it affect your ability to find things funny? Like, if you watch funny videos, do you still laugh? Or is it just like things happen but they do nothing for you?

Hidden stuff:
12-20-2012 08:53 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(12-20-2012 08:53 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  OK... whatever works for you...

I'm curious, does it affect your ability to find things funny? Like, if you watch funny videos, do you still laugh? Or is it just like things happen but they do nothing for you?

Me? I don't find humor in life. I rarely do and even so, I still don't get it. It's just not something that I can understand. What is humor, really?

ZZZ...
12-20-2012 08:56 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

"This sounds similar to a process at the core of Buddhism. They feel that problems in life come from our desires so that the conquest of desire will bring happiness."

it's not the same. Buddhism doesn't make logical sense. why would you eliminate desire, so that you can satisfy your desire for happiness. i don't think it's accurate to say that their goal is the "conquest of desire", it's more like a lowering of standards. it's like if you never try, you never fail. i think it's pathetic how it's talked about as some kind of wise shit. it's really a kind of mental suicide, it's like a medical, self-induced, semi-coma for people with shit lives.

"They don't seem to helping me and does far more damages."
"Emotions doesn't necessarily aid my survival at all."

that makes sense. evolution favors the fittest genes, not organisms. the results of evolution doesn't have to be helpful to you as an individual organism. compassion creates altruistic behaviors within a group, and therefore benefits the tribe, family or whatever at the cost of its individual parts. love in the sense of sexual attraction, or towards an offspring, maximizes the propagation of the gene at a cost for the organism. Anger probably aided in the development of altruism in humans by helping us get rid of selfish, burdensome people. it's now useless.

" it doesn't sound enjoyable (and how would it be if you can't feel joy)... "

joy in the sense of the reward for acting upon you instinctive emotional desires such as anger or love, comes at the cost of another form of happiness, because acting on emotions often get in the way of the accomplishing of greater goals, so it's a subjective decision just like euthanasia, you have a fear of death and a fear of pain, it's your decision which one overpowers the other.

and @ reptorian, where did you get the "less oxygen level" idea? i don't think suffocating your braincells is going to improve your ability to reason.. and how are you even doing it, holding your breath or something?

"I already have sleep-deprived myself"

Sleep-deprivation has the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve. sloppy troll is sloppy.

"Me? I don't find humor in life. I rarely do and even so, I still don't get it. It's just not something that I can understand. What is humor, really?"

yea sure...
12-20-2012 10:54 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(12-20-2012 10:54 AM)Potato Wrote:  and @ reptorian, where did you get the "less oxygen level" idea? i don't think suffocating your braincells is going to improve your ability to reason.. and how are you even doing it, holding your breath or something?

"I already have sleep-deprived myself"

Sleep-deprivation has the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve. sloppy troll is sloppy.

"Me? I don't find humor in life. I rarely do and even so, I still don't get it. It's just not something that I can understand. What is humor, really?"

yea sure...

I already have been through surgery and found myself far more relaxed with less oxygen level and the effect of anesthesia, even so, I noticed that I do feel less intense emotions overall. Oh, and less oxygen level does not imply I'm going to intentionally suffocate myself, but rather I'm modifying my body physiology to change oxygen level to alter my ways of thinking meaning I'm forcing my body to adapt to decreased heart rate as a effect of sleep deprivation. I understand that I need sleep, so I'll figure out how to balance it out. Plus, I'm planning to get lithium pills to decrease emotional sensitivity. Basically, my plan is to reduce the functionality of the emotional system of my brain, so I do what I can to make sure the emotional aspect don't activate. I am awake at over 36 hours, I don't have the same amount of emotions I did when I was more "awake" and I find it easier to focus on reasoning. I actually found it easier to understand how to do math shit myself.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 11:58 AM by Reptorian.)
12-20-2012 11:53 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

"I am awake at over 36 hours, I don't have the same amount of emotions I did when I was more "awake" and I find it easier to focus on reasoning. I actually found it easier to understand how to do math shit myself."

if you're going to continue this vigil, or if you plan to begin a new one, it wouldn't hurt if you posted a comment here hourly. otherwise we can't know if you're just a dude on the internet making up random things that contradict common experience and scientific research results. and don't use school as an excuse, weekend is close.

..i can't wait to hear what ingenious excuse you're going to come up with.
12-20-2012 12:09 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Potato, if you knew me long enough, you would know I don't try to lie. Just ask HoS or someone else. I'll just post comments here weekly to see how my plan goes.

ZZZ...
12-20-2012 12:13 PM
Potato Offline
Pariah

SEEE??? i give you an easy way to prove your honesty and you refuse!!!!!!! hahaha i never trusted you
12-20-2012 12:19 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:joy in the sense of the reward for acting upon you instinctive emotional desires such as anger or love, comes at the cost of another form of happiness, because acting on emotions often get in the way of the accomplishing of greater goals
Which is why I never make decisions based on emotions alone, even if I really really really really WANT to do something, but my logic deems it a bad idea, I'll probably not do it. If they both agree though, then sure why not, and it'll be more fun that way too.

Quote:"Me? I don't find humor in life. I rarely do and even so, I still don't get it. It's just not something that I can understand. What is humor, really?"
Stuff that makes you laugh... just check 'funny videos' on YouTube... if nothing there makes you laugh at all under any circumstances... well then I suppose your humour just isn't functional or something. Razz

Hidden stuff:
12-21-2012 12:23 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Reptorian, maybe you are right. I don't know, but please. Do not try getting rid of your emotions yet.
Give "controlling and understanding your emotions" a try first. I think that it's a too drastic approach too fast - Getting rid of your emotions.
I don't know how fucked up the situation is in your life now, but I feel like getting rid of your emotions is removing an important part from oneself.
If the reason for you doing this is because of others then I really feel like the people which are the cause of this can go fuck themselves in the ear, and also slightly in the nose.
Could you tell me the reason for why you want to do this? I guess this is a continuing to an earlier post, so please explain to the less informed user. Nutter
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 03:13 AM by LiptomaticMate.)
12-21-2012 03:12 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(12-21-2012 03:12 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  Could you tell me the reason for why you want to do this? I guess this is a continuing to an earlier post, so please explain to the less informed user. Nutter

For one thing, emotions have been blocking me from my reasoning mind and from what I see in other people, they let their emotions override their thinking having irrationality and having personal bias control their own life which is I try to avoid. It's useless in the sense of making decisions. I been trying to operate solely on datas and reasons alone instead of past experience, confirmation bias, anecdotes, and etc. I remove my past experience, emotions, and etc when making a perspective of something and I also try to look to see if it can be affirmative using datas and reasons to see if it makes sense, but emotions gets into the way of that sometimes. It's useless really.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 03:45 AM by Reptorian.)
12-21-2012 03:43 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-21-2012 03:43 AM)Reptorian Wrote:  
(12-21-2012 03:12 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  Could you tell me the reason for why you want to do this? I guess this is a continuing to an earlier post, so please explain to the less informed user. Nutter

For one thing, emotions have been blocking me from my reasoning mind and from what I see in other people, they let their emotions override their thinking having irrationality and having personal bias control their own life which is I try to avoid. It's useless in the sense of making decisions. I been trying to operate solely on datas and reasons alone instead of past experience, confirmation bias, anecdotes, and etc. I remove my past experience, emotions, and etc when making a perspective of something and I also try to look to see if it can be affirmative using datas and reasons to see if it makes sense, but emotions gets into the way of that sometimes. It's useless really.

Why not master to control and comprehend them, be friend with them. Because they are a part of the unconscious mind. Your reasoning is the conscious mind. They're different, but still both of them have they're purpose.
Take for instance. You want to kill this woman because she is mean and steals money from people. She is evil, but the unconscious mind tells you it's wrong. This was just an awful example,.
12-21-2012 04:14 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Seems irrational as emotions are not that worthy to base decisions on and emotions could be argued as a root of why people makes misconceptions of people i.e like women makes misconception of men being horny bastard when they like curves even though there are asexual men who likes curves and the eyes goes into the center of the body naturally or ageism assumption or even the assumption the degree makes you more education or even more examples and also there are plenty of situations where emotions can be argued as the trigger point of generating problems within time, so there's barely any reasons to rely on emotions except maybe for pets as it is arguable that animals don't have the capability to understand as much as we do and is at the point where they can mostly rely on instinctual form of thinking plus they're useful, but this may suggests that emotions could arguably be more "useful", but one must assess whether it is possible to use reasons than emotions. As for the woman in question, I would first assess the resources in question and generate how would the situation be resolved since it deals with allocation of resources plus if I can't do anything about it, then I can't and asides why would I want to kill the woman because of that, I don't know how to answer.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 07:16 AM by Reptorian.)
12-21-2012 06:51 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-21-2012 06:51 AM)Reptorian Wrote:  Seems irrational as emotions are not that worthy to base decisions on and emotions could be argued as a root of why people makes misconceptions of people i.e like women makes misconception of men being horny bastard when they like curves even though there are asexual men who likes curves and the eyes goes into the center of the body naturally or ageism assumption or even the assumption the degree makes you more education or even more examples and also there are plenty of situations where emotions can be argued as the trigger point of generating problems within time, so there's barely any reasons to rely on emotions except maybe for pets as it is arguable that animals don't have the capability to understand as much as we do and is at the point where they can mostly rely on instinctual form of thinking plus they're useful, but this may suggests that emotions could arguably be more "useful", but one must assess whether it is possible to use reasons than emotions. As for the woman in question, I would first assess the resources in question and generate how would the situation be resolved since it deals with allocation of resources plus if I can't do anything about it, then I can't and asides why would I want to kill the woman because of that, I don't know how to answer.

Can I ask you something, I guess I can Nutter
Why do you want to get rid of your emotions. What's the core reason for it? Is it only because they are not necessary? Or is it because they have resulted in you being hurt/sad/happy/depressed/prosperous ??? etc.
12-21-2012 07:59 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

They aren't necessary at all and they interfere with reasoning.

ZZZ...
12-21-2012 08:35 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-21-2012 08:35 AM)Reptorian Wrote:  They aren't necessary at all and they interfere with reasoning.

Is that the reason for your "getting rid-ofness of emotions". Really?
Can't you just ignore your emotions then, and only listen to your reasoning instead of removing and purging them? Huh
Just ignore your emotions, why purging them?
They don't interfere if you don't want them to.
12-21-2012 08:59 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, that's my reasons and too many times emotions interfere, so...

ZZZ...
12-21-2012 09:07 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Haven't read whole thread because I have shit to do, but have you considered trying lithium?

Also have you read my thread on the same subject? It's a few years old but still:

http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...p?tid=4438

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-21-2012 09:18 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Ok, current progress.

-Serene mood.
-My brain badly needs to release certain emotions though at the same time, my brain is releasing the 'serene' feeling to suppress the emotions.

ZZZ...
12-21-2012 05:29 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Do you think other people as well should do it?
12-21-2012 11:35 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I've read a lot of things about suppressing emotions being really unhealthy and resulting in random fits of rage and/or crying at seemingly totally nonsensical times... the human body/mind needs to let out the emotions sometime, and if you let them build up, it's going to be pretty much all at once, and messy. So you'd have to remove them some other way than suppressing them...

Hidden stuff:
12-21-2012 11:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fake emotions sswbm 5 2,794 01-04-2015 01:39 AM
Last Post: Sharpie
  Controlling Emotions Absnt 28 6,125 01-18-2012 06:42 AM
Last Post: Absnt