RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Point is Evil
HarvestLife Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

Why do teachers rely on power point to do anything? It's torture. It can't be fun for them to teach this way. I know I wouldn't want to write up a power point/overhead/projector file for every single lesson. Nor do I want to sit through it, not like I have a choice. Every slide is more or less copying right from the textbook, and so I've stopped even looking at it. Plus, it's boring as hell to listen to a teacher read word for word off power points. What can I do when I just can't pay attention anymore without drifting off to sleep?
11-28-2012 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

Teachers in my school use PowerPoint, but most are insistent that they're only visual aids, and keep chastising their students for only copying down what is on the screen instead of what they say.

It would be great if teachers would spend more of their time saying things that are actually interesting, and less time attacking their students on account of perceived offenses.

Also, PowerPoint should be banned as a teaching tool.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
11-28-2012 09:53 AM
 Thanks given by: Miller0700
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
RE: Power Point is Evil

My teaxhers would write on the chalkboard for us to copy down or if they had a projector (the kind on a cart with a light) they used that in the old school. What is powerpoint?
11-28-2012 10:22 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

^ I hate both chalkboard notes and the old-school projectors. Heck, I even hate their modern-day equivalents (using marker to write gigantic mathematical equations on a whiteboard or my science teacher using a digital marker to make chemical formulas on a SmartBoard).

PowerPoint is a Windows program that acts as a slideshow. Each slide has notes on it.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
11-28-2012 10:52 AM
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Its a computer program that projects on a wall. With the program you make a list of slides contains pictures and info.

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
11-28-2012 10:57 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

Powerpoint is, in and of itself, not a bad teaching tool. The problem is that teachers aren't given enough time or leeway with the curriculum to actually create a decent presentation (and even if they were, most are so horrible at their job that they wouldn't care or know how). It's much easier to just get informational videos off youtube, though.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
11-28-2012 11:40 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I kind if get it. But thats pointless. And DoA, your school and my school are polar opposites, but both suck balls. All schools suck balls, poor or not. Its amazeing how things such different have 1 common point: They SUCK
11-28-2012 11:42 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I hate PowerPoint. However, if I'm given a ready made PowerPoint I might use it instead coming up something on my own. I would have to work more than 40 hours a week to prepare interesting lessons. They make me do a lot of meaningless stuff and it gets to the point where my personal life takes precedent.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
11-28-2012 01:45 PM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

What's even better is being given a notes page or a powerpoint with blanks in it and filling in the blanks for notes. It's ok when you can read the powerpoint for yourself and get answers, but when it's just being shown a powerpoint and having to write it down, especially whn the notes DON'T EVEN MATCH THE POWERPOINT, then the "easy solution" is incredibly time-consuming. There must be a better way of regulating the curriculum with more discussion and guidelines than just giving state powerpoints.

Do whatever you want. Doodle on the notes, text in your pocket, read the book and come up with better notes, something.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 06:36 AM by McGee!.)
11-29-2012 06:30 AM
HarvestLife Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

My notes are covered in wonderful red-inked swirls! Biggrin
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 07:06 AM by HarvestLife.)
11-29-2012 07:06 AM
 Thanks given by: McGee!
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

I took a class last year that taught us how to use the more important business tools that microsoft offers (i still have yet to use quite a few of these, but the skool pays for them anyways) and we learned about a bunch of different things in Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Excell...here is basically what we did to learn them though

Word: copy down a few paragraphs from the book and then go back and make changes as we were told to (sometimes we had to do something like "make the font size 13" then a few steps later revert it back to normal...and the teacher can't tell since we emailed the things to her)

PowerPoint: pretty much the same thing as Word, only powerpoints

Excell: the first few things were strictly from the book, but eventually we started getiing ot the point of automatically updating different cells, so that was ok...but i hated it

Access: I don't fucking know because we spent the least ammount of time on it because nobody liked it (not even the teacher...and she had to take a class on how to use these before skool started so she didn't know much more than anyone else about them either)

In the end, Excell is of the Devil, and Access is of the super devil...that's really all i learned from that class

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
11-29-2012 11:50 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

So in other words she didn't teach anything everyone doesn't already know. Being proficient in Access and Excell Is worth mentioning on a resume.

Captain Beefheart
11-29-2012 04:39 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(11-29-2012 04:39 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  So in other words she didn't teach anything everyone doesn't already know. Being proficient in Access and Excell Is worth mentioning on a resume.

I did learn some things, but the only thing she would have taught me that had any real significance was the fact that you can manage what words get turned into what words when typing (like i automatically turns into I and you can put in your own words if you want) but the rest of the stuff i know is pointless/i learned but the rest of the class never got to learn (such as making your own custom ribbon at the top [the undo/redo buttons, etc] and a few other things i don't remember lol...these were learned through http://makeuseof.com)

but other than this, yea, she didn't really teach us anything useful in word or powerpoint...and yes, excell and access are useful for a lot of jobs out there, but it's not like you couldn't lie about being awesome with excell and just constantly go to the help section anyways

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

11-30-2012 04:16 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

"other than this, yea, she didn't really teach us anything useful in word or powerpoint...and yes, excell and access are useful for a lot of jobs out there, but it's not like you couldn't lie about being awesome with excell and just constantly go to the help section anyways"

Most people would be way too slow and get fired the first week.

Captain Beefheart
11-30-2012 05:13 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(11-30-2012 05:13 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  "other than this, yea, she didn't really teach us anything useful in word or powerpoint...and yes, excell and access are useful for a lot of jobs out there, but it's not like you couldn't lie about being awesome with excell and just constantly go to the help section anyways"

Most people would be way too slow and get fired the first week.

well, guess they should have been a better lier...that reply reminds me of this crappy british show though...it's called "The IT crowd" and basically, this girl says she is great with computers on her resume so a company hires her and makes her the head of the IT department (which is all the way in the basement because nobody cares about their nerdy bosses[without internet all of a sudden big businesses are lost]) and she tries to convince one of the guys that she is typing something important when her computer isn't even plugged in...same with a phone call

needless to say, i didn't make it to the 5th episode because "British comedies" are just really dry to me

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

11-30-2012 05:23 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
Power Point is Evil

Look up "prezi" and show it to all your teachers.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
12-01-2012 02:51 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(12-01-2012 02:51 PM)IamNoone Wrote:  Look up "prezi" and show it to all your teachers.

my US History/Psych teacher used that quite a bit in class, one of the other kids did too for a presentation (in psych i think) but it doesn't really bother me to use it anyways, mainly because we really don't have any presentations to do so far...i just realized this, but the ammount of presentations you have to do for skool slowly gets lower and lower

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

12-03-2012 07:38 AM