RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has anyone not heard of Khan Academy?
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

Khanacademy

i learn more in 10 min from there than i can in 8 hours doing some science fair project.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 09:20 PM by Potato.)
11-12-2012 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I SUCKED at math for years on end until I went to Khan Academy and started studying. Fucking awesome resource. If I had it when I was unschooling, I would have been way ahead of the game.
11-12-2012 10:09 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I just slightly checked it out now, did a couple of math tasks. I'm at school and I find that waaay more interactive and fun than school. It was actually quiite fun Biggrin Thanks! Smile I'll definitely spend some time there Wink
11-12-2012 10:55 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I love it!
11-12-2012 11:01 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Until I start hating it, now I do honestly love it, I love it, I love it. Biggrin Biggrin
11-12-2012 11:03 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
RE: Has anyone not heard of Khan Academy?

Never heard of it till now. Too lazy to check it out now, maybe later.
11-13-2012 09:27 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

i hope that people would break the notion that you have to go to school to be educated if they became more aware of resources such as this.
11-13-2012 09:45 AM
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I plan on doing some of the computer science classes when I get some free time. They had a episode about this on the show 20/20 a while back.

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
11-13-2012 12:57 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I've been playing around on that site for the sake of fun. Not becasue It's neccessary. HAHA! Biggrin Wouldn't have expected that if it wasn't like 6 years ago.
11-13-2012 03:05 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

My Trig teacher actually uses videos from KA to teach us material on occasions. It's an excellent resource for people who don't get it in class or for those who want to learn on their own without the help of school. Because of this site I am a fair bit ahead of the curve. Smile

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-16-2012 03:06 AM
 Thanks given by: Trar
iexist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(11-12-2012 10:09 PM)Ahab Wrote:  I SUCKED at math for years on end until I went to Khan Academy and started studying. Fucking awesome resource. If I had it when I was unschooling, I would have been way ahead of the game.

you sound like an add for Khan
11-17-2012 06:07 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

Cept khan academy is free. Your argument is invalid.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
11-21-2012 10:21 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Also too lazy to check it out now.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-09-2013 07:57 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

When I first started using Khan Academy it had this star cluster graphic that tracked your progress. It was like as you completed the skill sets the stars would brighten and connect with each other. I thought that was cool. I liked the system it used to help me visualize my progress. I earned all kinds of badges and all that. I watched banking videos, art history videos, reviewed algebra, learned some trig, calculus, physics. I was also making progress toward my goals.

Then they just dropped the star thing and switched to leaves. Suddenly the progress was all about leaves. Then they switched from leaves to blocks in a grid. Now it's hard to see my progress from the work I did two or three years ago. And they said my previous goals need to be changed to fit the new format. Plus, it's worthless on an iPhone and the app only plays videos that are already available on YouTube. My two complaints are why do they keep making annoying adjustments and fixing things that aren't broken and two why doesn't it work on my phone like every other website? It seems like all the kids I teach access the web primarily through their mobile device.

I'm not saying it's not still a great resource but if you tinker with something forever sooner or later you're going to mess it up.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
03-02-2014 10:36 PM
scorchededge243 Away
Revolutionary

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

I've heard that the guy is sometimes wrong on a lot of the subjects, and someone like me who is stupid at math, I would not notice the difference. But I do like it Goingcrazy even though I'm over loaded with resources.
03-04-2014 09:38 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Also, teaming up with Bank of America is not a good sign.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
03-04-2014 10:11 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

(03-04-2014 09:38 AM)scorchededge243 Wrote:  I've heard that the guy is sometimes wrong on a lot of the subjects, and someone like me who is stupid at math, I would not notice the difference. But I do like it Goingcrazy even though I'm over loaded with resources.

I'm sure he is sometimes wrong on a lot of the subjects. Thing is, it's unrealistic to expect him to get through any subject without a single mistake. I'm sure the schools are guilty of this too.

You know what the difference is though? The nature of Khan Academy means you can go verify it. (It's the 21st century - you should be doing that anyway) The nature of school is that you have to believe the crap or get a low grade....there's no way to check because homework takes that time away.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
03-16-2014 06:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NYC-area alternatives to school: Dida Academy, Agile Learning Center and more xcriteria 0 3,141 11-25-2016 05:29 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Has anyone here heard of Praxis? scorchededge243 6 4,331 01-11-2015 09:13 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Brain Academy brainiac3397 7 4,003 10-07-2014 07:39 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Advice on Khan Academy Khan Academy Ludicrous Listener Badge? Trekkie_Aspie 2 4,939 05-30-2014 02:14 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Free Academy Dragon4Anarchy 3 3,234 02-13-2014 10:41 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  The SS Academy psychopath 17 12,558 01-14-2014 03:31 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  So... I created a 'class' on Khan Academy Trekkie_Aspie 2 7,989 06-09-2013 10:52 PM
Last Post: Potato
  Khan Academy Bob Dole 1 2,590 08-13-2010 04:28 PM
Last Post: Nah
  Khan Academy Aya 8 4,845 06-02-2009 11:02 AM
Last Post: Nah