RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
You are going nowhere in life
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I'm embarrassed I actually used to post here. I'm also embarrassed for those of you who still post here. You guys are going nowhere in life. None of you seem to have any motivation to do anything in life, but if you want to drop out of school, get a GED, and try to make a living with what little you have, by all means, go for it (here's a tip - the best working conditions require a bachelor's degree or higher, and if you don't care about income, I hope you're happy with living in poverty). If you don't, I suggest you grow the fuck up and stop complaining. You're not going to be a revolutionary. You won't create something incredible or worthwhile. If you thought any of those, you're delusional.

It's all about income. That's all that really matters. Most of you have figured it out by now. Society equates human value with income. The more money you have, the higher you're viewed. The less you have, the lower you're viewed. You can't change it. The best you can do is work with it, which is what I've been doing. Right now I'm at one of the most prestigious, highly-ranked universities in the country. I'm meeting intelligent people with ideas and motivation to change the world. I'm working with what I have. Instead, you guys complain to each other, complain about the system, refuse any help at all, expect change without actually doing anything, and will likely never develop any worthwhile connections or learn any useful skills. No one will ever take you seriously.

I can't believe some of you actually brag about failing classes, having to repeat grades, and withdrawing from school like those are monumental achievements. Do you realize that in the long run, you're fucking yourself over by doing that?

Here's a thought: why not accept it? I mean, seriously, you're in school for, what - 13 years of your life? Did you ever stop to think that every single other person in the world went through that? Why not get over it? You're not being robbed of anything. Have you ever considered that maybe it's not school that's wrong, but it's you? Everything works both ways.

EDIT: Here are good quotes:

Quote:The best thing would be if all haters for school became millioners

The problem is that anti-schoolers will never become millionaires. In fact, if they're as anti-school as some of you guys are, they'll never see any income beyond minimum wage. There's a reason for that.

Quote:I'm going to start off with a simple capture card device, about £5. After that, I'll start doing videos, gaining views, battling other Let's Players to gain fame/infamy, all in the hopes that I can get money.

Spoiler: you won't get money. The way the most famous Let's Play people get money is through advertisements. Advertisers pay them to put their ads by their videos, because they know that many people watch those videos. Unless you're a talented entertainer, you won't ever reach a level where you'll be paid for putting videos on the internet. I hope you have a backup career in mind.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 07:21 AM by యూజర్ పేరు.)
10-22-2012 06:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

No motivation? I hate school, but heck I need a job. Hating school doesn't mean you have no motivation. It means you want a better education. Since when was the desire to learn a bad thing?

Also, there is nothing wrong with complaining. Most people here have nowhere else to turn; no one to talk to in real life. Parents pressure for good grades and friends are brainwashed. Your advice suggests that I stop venting my problems; why?

I am sure there is nothing wrong with me, or anyone else here. I am not going to change for school. It doesn't work that way. That's one problem it has. School does not educate individuals based on their personal style. It isn't even true education. Most of it is memory work.

Also, those 13 years of my life happen to be almost my whole childhood. And yes, I am being robbed of something. Freedom, and a chance for a better education. Not to mention wasted years and almost lethal amounts of boredom. Once you realize you've spent most of your childhood in a prison, it's kind of hard to just shut up and submit to the system.

About becoming an activist, your advice makes little sense. School is prison, but instead of even considering change we should just shut the hell up and act like good little sheeple? We have to start somewhere, even if that means just ranting about change. Problems don't solve themselves. When slavery was alive and well, did people just ignore the south because change was "hopeless"? I'm mainly concerned about keeping discussion about the problem alive, because without talk there is 0 hope.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 07:29 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-22-2012 06:51 AM
 Thanks given by: AcetrainerKaylem , Prankster813 , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra , The man
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

RE: You are going nowhere in life

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  No motivation? I hate school, but heck I need a job. Hating school doesn't mean you have no motivation. It means you want a better education. Since when was the desire to learn a bad thing?

It's not the educational process itself, but rather the outcome. Tell me an alternative to conventional schooling and see if you'll end up in the same place as a normally schooled person after you've gone through it.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Also, there is nothing wrong with complaining. Most people here have nowhere else to turn; no one to talk to in real life. Parents pressure for good grades and friends are brainwashed. Your advice suggests that I stop venting my problems; why?

There's a reason you're pressured for good grades. Good grades lead to a good college which leads to a good future, ultimately through the connections you make in college. And I never said you should stop complaining - I noted that all you guys do is complain. That is a statement of fact.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  I am sure there is nothing wrong with me, or anyone else here. I am not going to change for school. It doesn't work that way. That's one problem it has. School does not educate individuals based on their personal style. It isn't even true education. Most of it is memory work.

Tell me what learning is if it isn't memorization. It may not be the best way, but it's the fastest and most efficient. And for some reason, it seems to work. Look at advances in science and technology by recent graduates and tell me it doesn't work.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Also, those 13 years of my life happen to be almost my whole childhood. And yes, I am being robbed of something. Freedom, and a chance for a better education. Not to mention wasted years and almost lethal amounts of boredom. Once you realize you've spent most of your childhood in a prison, it's kind of hard to just shut up and submit to the system.

You and every single other person in the world.
10-22-2012 07:28 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-22-2012 07:28 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  
(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  No motivation? I hate school, but heck I need a job. Hating school doesn't mean you have no motivation. It means you want a better education. Since when was the desire to learn a bad thing?

It's not the educational process itself, but rather the outcome. Tell me an alternative to conventional schooling and see if you'll end up in the same place as a normally schooled person after you've gone through it.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Also, there is nothing wrong with complaining. Most people here have nowhere else to turn; no one to talk to in real life. Parents pressure for good grades and friends are brainwashed. Your advice suggests that I stop venting my problems; why?

There's a reason you're pressured for good grades. Good grades lead to a good college which leads to a good future, ultimately through the connections you make in college. And I never said you should stop complaining - I noted that all you guys do is complain. That is a statement of fact.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  I am sure there is nothing wrong with me, or anyone else here. I am not going to change for school. It doesn't work that way. That's one problem it has. School does not educate individuals based on their personal style. It isn't even true education. Most of it is memory work.

Tell me what learning is if it isn't memorization. It may not be the best way, but it's the fastest and most efficient. And for some reason, it seems to work. Look at advances in science and technology by recent graduates and tell me it doesn't work.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Also, those 13 years of my life happen to be almost my whole childhood. And yes, I am being robbed of something. Freedom, and a chance for a better education. Not to mention wasted years and almost lethal amounts of boredom. Once you realize you've spent most of your childhood in a prison, it's kind of hard to just shut up and submit to the system.

You and every single other person in the world.

Oops, I added new stuff to my first post >.< sorry

Basically:

What do grades measure? I barely try and have satisfactory grades. The whole point of getting rid of school is to eliminate its role in getting a job. Grades are mostly compliance and completing assignments. There are lots of things grades can't measure. It is also very frustrating to try and learn while being judged every step of the way. Also, remember motivation is not necessarily needed. Kids WANT to learn, but school makes it as boring as possible.

Unschooling and schooling are likely to have similar outcomes. But with unschooling, those 13 years of your life would be a lot happier, with more room for development. Unschooling is also more likely to make producers instead of rabid consumers. 13 years is a long time; because people spend it is a child does not make it more irrelevant.

When you start "learning" in school at a young age, you become very dependent. That is a fact. You are always being judged and evaluated. Your happiness may depend on how teachers perceive you. As long as you meet standards, there are no problems.

As for learning- it's not all memorization. Comprehension skills and logic need development. Whereas in school, it's all memorizing things. I've found that those reading questions we were provided with did little for me. Now that I think about it, most of my reading skills have come from outside of school.

Just because everyone must put up with school does not justify its awfulness. School makes you study what you don't want, and in ways you most likely will not enjoy. It destroys the natural human love of learning. School was originally implemented to promote obedience and conformity.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 08:02 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-22-2012 07:54 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Laugh
That's nice. I guess I'm going nowhere in life.

Oh wait I get to sit on my butt and rake in moneys while I play games and/or sleep even though I don't have a job or any real qualifications.

lol @ caring about income and what people think of you. Sure, money is nice, and yes, people do tend to view you differently if they know how much you have, which is both hilarious, and stupid. I mean, I drive a really old car that I haven't taken good care of at all. People take one look at that thing and think I'm poor. When meanwhile I'm handing out R100 notes to random homeless people like it's nothing. (R100 = probably about $10, most people in South Africa consider that a somewhat substantial amount, and very few people I know of would give a homeless person even R5).

The best part is that technically, any numbnut can do what I do if they know it's possible, and have a bit of patience.

And then you get these people here who managed to get along just fine as well, and I must conclude that you are just being overly negative for no good reason.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-22-2012 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , McGee! , fish20 , Trar , Rule_BreakerXVIII , Avatar Korra
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  You are going nowhere in life
NO U

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-22-2012 10:04 AM
 Thanks given by: Prankster813
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  If you don't, I suggest you grow the fuck up and stop complaining.
(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  And I never said you should stop complaining - I noted that all you guys do is complain. 
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 10:19 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-22-2012 10:18 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

(10-22-2012 10:18 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  
(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  If you don't, I suggest you grow the fuck up and stop complaining.
(10-22-2012 06:51 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  And I never said you should stop complaining - I noted that all you guys do is complain. 

I should've rephrased that - I never said you should stop complaining altogether. You can complain if it's justified, but you can't say it's justified if you're complaining that you can't get a job or make a decent living if in five years if you drop out of school.

(10-22-2012 10:03 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Laugh
That's nice. I guess I'm going nowhere in life.

Oh wait I get to sit on my butt and rake in moneys while I play games and/or sleep even though I don't have a job or any real qualifications.

lol @ caring about income and what people think of you. Sure, money is nice, and yes, people do tend to view you differently if they know how much you have, which is both hilarious, and stupid. I mean, I drive a really old car that I haven't taken good care of at all. People take one look at that thing and think I'm poor. When meanwhile I'm handing out R100 notes to random homeless people like it's nothing. (R100 = probably about $10, most people in South Africa consider that a somewhat substantial amount, and very few people I know of would give a homeless person even R5).

The best part is that technically, any numbnut can do what I do if they know it's possible, and have a bit of patience.

And then you get these people here who managed to get along just fine as well, and I must conclude that you are just being overly negative for no good reason.

There's always exceptions. But you can't argue that someone who drops out of high school will have an equally good chance of being able to support themself as someone who completed high school and college.

Also, how much are you making each year off SS?

And I'm well aware that it's unfair that only your assets and monetary value are considered, but there's nothing anyone can do to change that, so the best we can do is to live by it. And it's not just money alone - it's the things that money can bring, like food and shelter. It's a fact of life - you need money to survive.
10-22-2012 11:15 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  Here's a thought: why not accept it? I mean, seriously, you're in school for, what - 13 years of your life? Did you ever stop to think that every single other person in the world went through that?

I love pointing things like this out...*cracks knuckles*...What about the children in third world countries who don't get the luxury of going to skool every day for 13 years of their lives? What about the children who don't even get to go to skool for a day in their life? What can you say about them that doesn't involve the word "exceptions?"

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  
Quote:I'm going to start off with a simple capture card device, about £5. After that, I'll start doing videos, gaining views, battling other Let's Players to gain fame/infamy, all in the hopes that I can get money.

Spoiler: you won't get money. The way the most famous Let's Play people get money is through advertisements. Advertisers pay them to put their ads by their videos, because they know that many people watch those videos. Unless you're a talented entertainer, you won't ever reach a level where you'll be paid for putting videos on the internet. I hope you have a backup career in mind.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong on this, but you don't have to be a talented entertainer, you just have to trick enough people into thinking that what you're doing is worthy of them giving you money. Just look at those scams where you receive happiness by sending 1 or 2 dollars to a guy on the other side of the country, people got rich doing that and nobody liked it in the end, that's why you don't see them happening anymore.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
10-22-2012 12:39 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  I'm embarrassed I actually used to post here. I'm also embarrassed for those of you who still post here. You guys are going nowhere in life. None of you seem to have any motivation to do anything in life, but if you want to drop out of school, get a GED, and try to make a living with what little you have, by all means, go for it (here's a tip - the best working conditions require a bachelor's degree or higher, and if you don't care about income, I hope you're happy with living in poverty). If you don't, I suggest you grow the fuck up and stop complaining. You're not going to be a revolutionary. You won't create something incredible or worthwhile. If you thought any of those, you're delusional.

Ooh looks who's back and who's talking.

I'm VisualStyly.

I'm already at college and I come from a background with pro-schoolers who can frankly tell you that there is economical issues and they deeply feel as there is no guarantee to a succeeding life if they try to think about it. I'm earning great GPAs and will study for biotechnology at a institution involving studies of biotechnology and my reason for the belief that I am going nowhere in life because there isn't simply any actual evidence other than psuedo-evidence like correlations and anecdotal evidences which isn't actually evidences. Here's a tip, the best working conditions is actually based upon many different circumstances including how you utilizes resources and one is to understand that's the uncertainty principle means that you cannot play bets based upon assumptions from psuedo-evidences. Don't be surprised if there are students you are seeing will be homeless because of the uncertainty principle. Oh, and you do realize you are delusional for taking things for granted without ever considering a strict analytic perspective. I suggest you take the uncertainty principle and the economical problems and some little bit of more intelligence. Oh you might as well advise me to try to be happy at poverty in spite of high GPAs and going at a biotechnology school because I simply am not going to find a job other than low-menial jobs as I see no guarantees in life, hence why I am just going to look for those jobs after graduating because I don't see anything forward to look into as there's no real evidence. When people like you assumes shit, people like you give me more reason to lose hope.

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  It's all about income. That's all that really matters. Most of you have figured it out by now. Society equates human value with income. The more money you have, the higher you're viewed. The less you have, the lower you're viewed. You can't change it. The best you can do is work with it, which is what I've been doing. Right now I'm at one of the most prestigious, highly-ranked universities in the country. I'm meeting intelligent people with ideas and motivation to change the world. I'm working with what I have. Instead, you guys complain to each other, complain about the system, refuse any help at all, expect change without actually doing anything, and will likely never develop any worthwhile connections or learn any useful skills. No one will ever take you seriously

It appears that you seems to equate human values with income from the argument that if X opinion is perceived as correct by most individual, then it must be true. No matter how much you take opinions, you simply cannot take it as a fact. I'm surprised your education haven't taught you the fallacy behind your argument. Whether money matters to one's life or not is relative to how he/she perceives the world. Again, you may be working at one of the most prestigious, highly ranked universities in the country, but there is simply no guarantee that you or all of those people will change the world. Some might, some might not, some might earn average, some might go homeless, some might be rich. Instead of you taking things for granted, why can't you question the way you think?

(10-22-2012 06:41 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  The problem is that anti-schoolers will never become millionaires. In fact, if they're as anti-school as some of you guys are, they'll never see any income beyond minimum wage. There's a reason for that.

Again, we already have resources that shows anti-schoolers do become millionaires. In fact, the observation that there are highly intelligent scientists suggests that there are anti-schoolers who may be working at some of the top jobs whether you like to admit it or not. Will never is a superlative statement and it's highly likely that you would be wrong considering the number of people to take into account. Haven't you had some degree of education to realize that 'will never' implies all of them will never be millionaires in spite of people at your universities could actually be anti-school while there are anti-schoolers made a lot of money out of scam. Yes, there are people who are prestigious colleges that actually hated school and some of them still do. So by this observation alone and your perspective of life, you would have to question your assumption.

(10-22-2012 07:28 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  It's not the educational process itself, but rather the outcome. Tell me an alternative to conventional schooling and see if you'll end up in the same place as a normally schooled person after you've gone through it.

Outcome are dependent on circumstances. There's no guarantee that you'll end up worse or better with an alternative to conventional schooling and it's possible that the alternative could bring better success than conventional schooling under the principle of uncertainty of the future due to circumstantial influences.

(10-22-2012 07:28 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  There's a reason you're pressured for good grades. Good grades lead to a good college which leads to a good future, ultimately through the connections you make in college. And I never said you should stop complaining - I noted that all you guys do is complain. That is a statement of fact.

Sigh... There is simply 0 evidence for a guarantee. Don't bring up anecdotal claims and correlation because that is not evidence for a guarantee. And yes, it's entirely possible that all of those connections may not actually help you in the long run. Again, the uncertainty of the future principle.

(10-22-2012 07:28 AM)BobManPerson Wrote:  Tell me what learning is if it isn't memorization. It may not be the best way, but it's the fastest and most efficient. And for some reason, it seems to work. Look at advances in science and technology by recent graduates and tell me it doesn't work.

Holy shit, do you just lack the education to understand that learning is a lot more about memorization?

Learning is about utilizing information and generating information and burning information (as in burning information in the brain) based upon combination of senses and memories. Additionally, learning also takes solving abilities based upon generated information. Get yourself a neurobiology book to understand how learning works because there's a lot more to that than memories.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 04:25 PM by Reptorian.)
10-22-2012 04:01 PM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , McGee! , James Comey , Trar
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Popcorn

Previously known as Derchin.
10-22-2012 05:40 PM
 Thanks given by: AcetrainerKaylem
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Oh, look who's back. It's Mr. Columbine himself. I hope you enjoy paying off your college debt.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
10-22-2012 05:41 PM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-22-2012 05:40 PM)Derchin Wrote:  Popcorn
10-22-2012 09:24 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Huh WHO ATE ALL THE POPCORN?!

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

10-22-2012 09:50 PM
marktheshark Offline
I BIFFED IT

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Well, with the way the economy is going, many people will end up going nowhere in their lives, no matter the education level. Second, ever heard about college grads having a very hard time trying to find a job so that they can pay off the loans and other costs? It's not just students with liberal arts degrees, but many others who will be affected.

While it's true that it'll be hard to go the "conventional" route if one drops out (1 or 2 crappy jobs-decent white collar job for a long time in one's life-retirement), it's still possible to make it big. Starting a business for example doesn't require a degree.

[Image: sig.gif]

[Image: boss_dustdragon.png]
10-22-2012 10:34 PM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

WHY ARE YOU STILL POSTING HERE IF YOU HATE IT!?!?!?!? I, personally, get good grades and want to become a movie director. However, one thing that I want to do even more before going to work for the rest of my life is that I really want to explore the world.
10-22-2012 10:57 PM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

We are all going to die to never exist except for our corpse in an endless darkness you can't see, we're not going anywhere in life because nothing exist for a reason, not even space itself.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-22-2012 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: McGee!
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I'm going to give my forced opinion here.
I think that two people exist. Those who are more into spending their time in mental development, and those who are more interested in adjusting to the school and are more interested in money and relaxing life.

Both is actually completely fine for me, however I wish people gave those who prefer the first mentioned human, with an other option.

What money is to me, is simply a pack of cards which have higher values - sometimes even more values then humans themselves. What you may think of school if fine. I'm glad you have found the correct way.
However, I would more like to preserve my sanity and enjoy my years as a kid, instead of spending them slaving for a teacher.

I have ideas, hobbies, plans and dreams, which are much more important to me then anything else in this world.
If you think what you think is OK, -- fine.

- Not all here, brag about their failures and their dropouts.
- Not all here are interested in spending 13 YEARS in school.
- Not all here want to adjust to the school system. ---> Do you remember when it was normal that black people had less rights then white people. Do you? Do you remember when black people where suppressed and couldn't do much about it?? Until one woman called Rosa Parks who didn't want to stand up for a white man in the bus.
How do you know that school is best for everyone, or that it is good.

I think that an important point of things is that people should learn advanced math if they have the need to. Not just manually solving equations etc.

One last thing. School was only practical the first 7 years, when you had learned the basics and the intermediate math, the most basic stuff which school serves on a plate. And 50/50 of the stuff which you learn in primary school is kind of worth knowing. Like how much two plus two is, photosynthesis which is kind of practical to know. Afterwards it's useless for those who want to learn, but by their own and what they actually want to know.

Quote: It's not all about money, it's not all about wealth, it's not all about welfare. Development is at least my goal.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 11:50 PM by LiptomaticMate.)
10-22-2012 11:46 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Money is the problem. Money, money, money. Without it - extreme high educations wouldn't be needed.
People would do whatever they wanted. Some would enjoy working in a shop, while others would enjoy playing music.
Of course it would be a lot more complicating.
10-22-2012 11:52 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(10-22-2012 11:08 PM)EmpathyLover Wrote:  We are all going to die to never exist except for our corpse in an endless darkness you can't see, we're not going anywhere in life because nothing exist for a reason, not even space itself.

Implying when you don't know about existence?

ZZZ...
10-23-2012 01:30 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Quote:I love pointing things like this out...*cracks knuckles*...What about the children in third world countries who don't get the luxury of going to skool every day for 13 years of their lives? What about the children who don't even get to go to skool for a day in their life? What can you say about them that doesn't involve the word "exceptions?"

There are exceptions for every single thing you can think of. You know damn well that when I say "the world," I don't mean literally every single person in this world. At the very least, everyone you're surrounded by goes to school or has gone to school, unless you live in a third-world country (which I'm guessing you don't).

Quote:It appears that you seems to equate human values with income from the argument that if X opinion is perceived as correct by most individual, then it must be true. No matter how much you take opinions, you simply cannot take it as a fact. I'm surprised your education haven't taught you the fallacy behind your argument. Whether money matters to one's life or not is relative to how he/she perceives the world.

I'd rather not equate human value to income, and even though it's not the correct way to view people, that's how society views everyone. And ultimately, it doesn't matter what you think of yourself - it's what other people think of you. You can think the opposite all you want but it won't change anything. Currency is considered a measure of worth and value for a reason.

Quote:Again, we already have resources that shows anti-schoolers do become millionaires. In fact, the observation that there are highly intelligent scientists suggests that there are anti-schoolers who may be working at some of the top jobs whether you like to admit it or not. Will never is a superlative statement and it's highly likely that you would be wrong considering the number of people to take into account. Haven't you had some degree of education to realize that 'will never' implies all of them will never be millionaires in spite of people at your universities could actually be anti-school while there are anti-schoolers made a lot of money out of scam. Yes, there are people who are prestigious colleges that actually hated school and some of them still do. So by this observation alone and your perspective of life, you would have to question your assumption.

I'm going to keep making generalizations because they save me the time of having to say "almost everyone except a few" before everything I say. It's common sense to know that someone who completed high school (and completed college) will have a better chance of having success in being able to support themself than someone who dropped out of college.

Quote:Learning is about utilizing information and generating information and burning information (as in burning information in the brain) based upon combination of senses and memories. Additionally, learning also takes solving abilities based upon generated information. Get yourself a neurobiology book to understand how learning works because there's a lot more to that than memories.

Either way, you're still retaining information somehow. There's a reason rote memorization is the preferred way of learning: when you're in a class of 30 people, there isn't enough time or resources to tailor a lesson to each individual person.

Quote:I hope you enjoy paying off your college debt.

Shouldn't be very difficult. I'm on a scholarship and, generally, most who graduate from my college end up making a starting salary of over $60k and have a job secured by graduation.

Quote:While it's true that it'll be hard to go the "conventional" route if one drops out (1 or 2 crappy jobs-decent white collar job for a long time in one's life-retirement), it's still possible to make it big. Starting a business for example doesn't require a degree.

You need skills and resources, and motivation to start a successful business as well. Starting a successful business that won't fail in its first year isn't exactly easy.

Quote:We are all going to die to never exist except for our corpse in an endless darkness you can't see, we're not going anywhere in life because nothing exist for a reason, not even space itself.

Oh man I better warn the execs here to watch out, this guy has life figured out at the age of 12. I used to be an edgy little nihilistic shit with violent tendencies, but then I stopped blaming my "depression" on other people and grew the fuck up.

I understand you're only 12, but you can only keep that kind of additude for so long.

Quote:How do you know that school is best for everyone, or that it is good.

It's not the best for everyone - it's the best for most. And as a democratic society, the majority is always right. Whether or not the majority is factually and logically correct is irrelevant, because the majority will always define their beliefs as correct.

Quote:School was only practical the first 7 years, when you had learned the basics and the intermediate math, the most basic stuff which school serves on a plate. And 50/50 of the stuff which you learn in primary school is kind of worth knowing. Like how much two plus two is, photosynthesis which is kind of practical to know. Afterwards it's useless for those who want to learn, but by their own and what they actually want to know.

Some of the things you learn, you may never use, but refer to this for my thoughts. It's better to have people who at least have a vague idea of how things work rather than people who have no idea at all.

If you want to get the best education while learning only what you want to learn, that's what college is for.

Quote:Money is the problem. Money, money, money. Without it - extreme high educations wouldn't be needed.
People would do whatever they wanted. Some would enjoy working in a shop, while others would enjoy playing music.
Of course it would be a lot more complicating.

Money is indeed the problem. I would love it if people were motivated by their love of what they do rather than by money. Imagine how great it would be if surgeons would help you stay alive not because they know you're going to give them thousands of dollars, but because they love performing surgeries. Until everyone develops that kind of mentality, all we can do is accept that people only care about money.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 02:55 AM by యూజర్ పేరు.)
10-23-2012 02:54 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

(10-23-2012 02:54 AM)యూజర్ పేరు Wrote:  I'd rather not equate human value to income, and even though it's not the correct way to view people, that's how society views everyone. And ultimately, it doesn't matter what you think of yourself - it's what other people think of you. You can think the opposite all you want but it won't change anything. Currency is considered a measure of worth and value for a reason.

Sigh. Argumentum ad populum.

Still failing to take in relativity into account and relativistic philosophy into account.

(10-23-2012 02:54 AM)యూజర్ పేరు Wrote:  And as a democratic society, the majority is always right. Whether or not the majority is factually and logically correct is irrelevant, because the majority will always define their beliefs as correct./quote]

Playing the same fallacy when you failed to take the relativistic issue into account.

[quote='యూజర్ పేరు' pid='475726' dateline='1350924871']I'm going to keep making generalizations because they save me the time of having to say "almost everyone except a few" before everything I say. It's common sense to know that someone who completed high school (and completed college) will have a better chance of having success in being able to support themself than someone who dropped out of college.

Whether you completed college or not may not have to do with whether you're anti-school or not. In fact there are scientists who does think as school as prisons. Also, better chances may not always be applicable as that depends on circumstantial issues.

(10-23-2012 02:54 AM)యూజర్ పేరు Wrote:  Either way, you're still retaining information somehow. There's a reason rote memorization is the preferred way of learning: when you're in a class of 30 people, there isn't enough time or resources to tailor a lesson to each individual person.

Again, failing to take differences in brain and different variables influencing different learning rate. Rote memorization may not necessarily work for everyone. This means rote memorization may not necessarily be the preferred way of learning.

(10-23-2012 02:54 AM)యూజర్ పేరు Wrote:  If you want to get the best education while learning only what you want to learn, that's what college is for.

Training=/=Education

If you look up definition of education, you'll understand that it may not necessarily be exclusively to institutional training centers. So one could get a proper learning environment without having college if they're so determined for it, furthermore, there's no guarantee that one will be educated after finished college.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 03:29 AM by Reptorian.)
10-23-2012 03:24 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

I don't think i want a surgeon that just wants to perform a surgery because he likes the thrill of it...

How do you get to college? By learning stuff you don't want to learn first.

idc, that you expect me to realize that you didn't mean the entire world, if you didn't want me to take it literally you could have said so and saved yourself the pointless arguement. (and yes i do think this is a pointless arguement, but i love doing this to people who talk like that when i have a chance to back it up with extremely likely scenarios, the kids in other countries.)

P.S. those are only out of order bc i don't give a shit about quoting what i need in a full post

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

10-23-2012 03:27 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:There's always exceptions. But you can't argue that someone who drops out of high school will have an equally good chance of being able to support themself as someone who completed high school and college.
Dropping out is just one option, there are others, homeschooling, unschooling, democratic schools etc. But a person can generally only do those if their parents agree to let them.

Supporting themselves is one thing, being able to do what they enjoy and not hate their job is quite another. I'm not overly concerned with people supporting themselves, it's something I know almost nothing about, so I probably shouldn't be commenting on that. What I do care about is whether or not people get to genuinely enjoy life, and I haven't seen or heard of any correlation between people going through 'normal' schooling and having better opportunities to do what they enjoy. I have however heard of homeschoolers and unschoolers generally enjoying their lives more. Presumably they also have enough money to afford this, the actual amount needed for a person probably varies depending on what they want it for. If anything, I think going through normal school and doing things they hate for so long makes them more willing to settle for less than what they really want, but eh, I guess that varies from person to person as well. Shrug

Quote:Also, how much are you making each year off SS?

Off SS alone, last I checked it was like $1400 per month. Since then I actually removed some ads 'cause I had some issues with depositing large cheques. Razz

Quote:And I'm well aware that it's unfair that only your assets and monetary value are considered, but there's nothing anyone can do to change that, so the best we can do is to live by it.
Or make fun of people who seem to care about it. I like doing that.

Quote:And it's not just money alone - it's the things that money can bring, like food and shelter. It's a fact of life - you need money to survive.
But not that much, depending on where you live.

EDIT: Why do you care so much what other people think of you?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-23-2012 03:38 AM
 Thanks given by: PAdude , Rule_BreakerXVIII
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

(10-23-2012 03:38 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:And I'm well aware that it's unfair that only your assets and monetary value are considered, but there's nothing anyone can do to change that, so the best we can do is to live by it.
Or make fun of people who seem to care about it. I like doing that.

Quote:And it's not just money alone - it's the things that money can bring, like food and shelter. It's a fact of life - you need money to survive.
But not that much, depending on where you live.

EDIT: Why do you care so much what other people think of you?

Personally I'd like to have as much as possible so I won't have to worry about food, clothing, and shelter, plus things like taxes, bills, and mortgages, plus for medical expenses and financial stability in case social security doesn't exist in the future (which it probably won't by the time I'm retired). Of course, some people enjoy having to worry about how they'll manage to pay their bills, but I don't know any.

I don't go out of my way to make people positively of me, but it's essential to have a positive image of yourself. Things like, say, job interviews. Or if you're starting your own business, convincing people to fund you or use your products. Or anything that requires social interaction at all.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 04:27 AM by యూజర్ పేరు.)
10-23-2012 04:26 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

So you only care what certain kinds of people think of you... the examples you mentioned probably don't really care as much as how much money you have, but rather how you would make more of it for them.

Hidden stuff:
10-23-2012 05:03 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

(10-23-2012 05:03 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  So you only care what certain kinds of people think of you... the examples you mentioned probably don't really care as much as how much money you have, but rather how you would make more of it for them.

The first two things యూజర్ పేరు learned in career classes.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
10-23-2012 05:40 AM
Alucard483 Offline
Site Mod

Given 92 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Graduate Highschool: Check - 2.8 GPA
Graduate College: Check - 3.5 GPA with 400 hours interned
Get Job: Check - $12/hour working 50 hours a week
Aquire Car: Check - '05 Ford Mustang Boss 5.0
Aquire Living Space: Check - with bar in basement and hottub in back yard
Aquire Girlfriend: In progress

I am the 99%

Whilst some work diligently there are those who ask why. I am one of them
(\__/) This is Bunny. Paste Bunny into your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination.
(")_(")
Soul#2: I already have a grip. Doc:and a porno mag and a tube of lube I'm sure"
Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
This has been a test of the emergency pointless argument system. Had this been a real pointless argument, someone would have been called a facist.
Ceiling Cat: For that you need to wear a fursuit, though.

Inside sources say that Carla Franklin has had more dick in her than a public urinal.
10-23-2012 05:49 AM
 Thanks given by: McGee!
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(10-23-2012 05:49 AM)Alucard483 Wrote:  Aquire Car: Check - '05 Ford Mustang Boss 5.0
Aquire Living Space: Check - with bar in basement and hottub in back yard

think i can borrow your house and mustang to advertise for a party? I would use my mustang, but it's a POS that needs serious work (it doesn't like to keep water in the radiator is the main problem right now though if you don't count the massive rust spot and numerous other rust spots on it) this party is going to be advertised in places like Craigslist, 5 different radio stations (B102.9 will not be one of them in case you're wondering) and we are going to have 2 DJs because 1 is never enough

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

10-23-2012 06:23 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

People, let's try keeping the replies small and simple. It's really frustrating reading gigantic posts and never finishing them.
10-23-2012 06:31 AM