RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does society treat the elderly like shit in general?
marktheshark Offline
I BIFFED IT

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

When we think of ageism, most of us think of discrimination against the youth. However, the elderly are sadly not exempt from this. I'm not sure how they are generally treated in other countries, but in America, we send them away to nursing homes for god knows how long (probably until they die in most cases). Problem is, nursing homes are quite similar to schools in a few ways:

1. For starters, the patients of nursing homes are often treated poorly, similar to children in school. In both these places, they have no individuality, almost no independence (for example, they cannot go outside or in some cases, out of their rooms without permission), no self-esteem, etc.

2. The nursing homes themselves are very sterilizing places. The bland halls and rooms look like what you would see in a hospital. Similar to school, these nursing homes have a soul-less vibe to them.

3. Similar to teachers, some nursing home aides really do care and show compassion to the patients, but others are rude, uncaring and are just there for a paycheck.

So, why? Why do we send the elderly to these places? Why is that society treats both the youth and the elderly as a scourge?
08-06-2012 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
RE: Does society treat the elderly like shit in general?

Because usually the people in nursing homes are barely people anymore. Too old understand anything. The younger parental generation doesn't want to deal with their children AND their parents. I sure as hell don't but then again I only count one parent.
08-06-2012 04:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Yeah, that's pretty fucked up too. My grandmother was in one of those places, she had Alzheimer's and she was convinced she was in some kind of prison or concentration camp, kept trying to escape. She wanted to walk around but they kept her literally tied to a wheelchair.

Honestly I think it'd be more humane to just let them do whatever, even if they endanger themselves... (not other people though).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-07-2012 03:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

My grandfather's going a bit funny too, Alzheimers, convinced his dreams actually happened, unaware of the time and attempt to buy things with Australian money, forgetting where he is driving in the car etc. we just keep a close eye on him. He spends time at his caravan down south, it's sorta like a retirement home minus the staff and the school-likeliness. It has a clubhouse that serves drinks, entertainment and bingo until 10PM. All the people are old and it's pretty quiet. But when he goes down there someone has to drive him there so he don't get lost, then make sure he wakes up at reasonable times and takes his insulin (he's diabetic) and stuff. I sometimes go there, it's basically a holiday park, only thing is there's nothing for me to do other than walk up and down the mostly empty beach and maybe buy a portion of chips.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
08-07-2012 05:36 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

I think they should just put people with advanced alzheimers down, sounds mean but they have no idea who anyone is and are in a strange place. Would you want to "live" like that?
08-07-2012 05:47 AM

(08-07-2012 05:47 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  I think they should just put people with advanced alzheimers down, sounds mean but they have no idea who anyone is and are in a strange place. Would you want to "live" like that?

No but my father hasn't reached that stage yet. He's happy just hanging out with old people at the caravan park.

08-07-2012 07:21 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(08-07-2012 07:21 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 05:47 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  I think they should just put people with advanced alzheimers down, sounds mean but they have no idea who anyone is and are in a strange place. Would you want to "live" like that?

No but my father hasn't reached that stage yet. He's happy just hanging out with old people at the caravan park.

It gets bad, soon he won't know anyone he will need CONSTANT reminders of everything.
08-07-2012 09:14 AM

(08-07-2012 09:14 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  

It gets bad, soon he won't know anyone he will need CONSTANT reminders of everything.

That'll happen when it happens. Until then, just lay back and enjoy the benefits of being old, such as being retired... and stuff.

08-07-2012 09:20 AM
 Thanks given by: Loafoceaple
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(08-07-2012 09:20 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  

That'll happen when it happens. Until then, just lay back and enjoy the benefits of being old, such as being retired... and stuff.

Oh man retirement where you have no idea who you or anyone else is. Fun!
08-07-2012 02:12 PM

(08-07-2012 02:12 PM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 09:20 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  

Oh man retirement where you have no idea who you or anyone else is. Fun!

Alzheimers doesn't get that bad as soon as retirement comes. My grandfather is in his 80's, I think they're getting treatment for the alzheimers.

08-12-2012 05:24 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(08-12-2012 05:24 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  Alzheimers doesn't get that bad as soon as retirement comes. My grandfather is in his 80's, I think they're getting treatment for the alzheimers.

Not all old people develop alzheimers, maybe some dementia but currently as it stands there is no cure for alzheimers, there are preventatives and pro-longers but no cure.
Are you sure you know the difference between alzheimers and dementia? Because just because they are sort of out of it they still hold onto information, while in alzheimers they you have to constantly remind them of things every 5 minutes or so.
08-12-2012 07:11 AM

(08-12-2012 07:11 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 05:24 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  Alzheimers doesn't get that bad as soon as retirement comes. My grandfather is in his 80's, I think they're getting treatment for the alzheimers.

Not all old people develop alzheimers, maybe some dementia but currently as it stands there is no cure for alzheimers, there are preventatives and pro-longers but no cure.
Are you sure you know the difference between alzheimers and dementia? Because just because they are sort of out of it they still hold onto information, while in alzheimers they you have to constantly remind them of things every 5 minutes or so.

The family is just referring to it as alzheimers. He's going to the doctors about it. I'd say he's more akin to dementia but he will ask the same question multiple times. He's attempted to use Australian money for stuff and will be very convinced that some of his dreams have actually happened, like his old friend sitting in his living room telling him to get the football team he used to manage back together. We're not sure.

08-12-2012 08:22 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

My grandma was in the hospital for 6months after open heart surgery.
She developed Alzheimer's or dementia or something like that, then she came home and was totally fine, but could not remember her time in the hospital. Nursing homes are shit, though. I would rather get dementia and accidentally an hero then go to that place.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
08-15-2012 01:54 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

(08-07-2012 03:09 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, that's pretty fucked up too. My grandmother was in one of those places, she had Alzheimer's and she was convinced she was in some kind of prison or concentration camp, kept trying to escape. She wanted to walk around but they kept her literally tied to a wheelchair.

Something similar happened to my grandfather. My father stormed into the nursing home, found the bastard who did it and told him "You ever touch my father like that again I'll fucking kill you"
08-18-2012 10:52 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser

Diagnosis thingy occurred. It's official SaintVicious my grandfather has dementia.

08-18-2012 10:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why do you respect the elderly? HeartofShadows 32 15,551 05-13-2012 01:15 AM
Last Post: batboy138