RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirates Beware: DVD Anti-Piracy Warning Now Twice as Fierce
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Pirates Beware: DVD Anti-Piracy Warning Now Twice as Fierce

Haha I is so scared.

Think I'm gonna go pirate some more shit because of this.

Quote from mr revero

Quote:Oh yeah; that'll stop the pirates! In a nation where kids see the President stealing other peoples' nations, it gets hard to convince them copying a file is a big deal.

Quote:[Image: apw-1_original-660x509.jpg]

Hollywood and the federal government have partnered to create updated and even more annoying anti-piracy warnings that will be included in new home-release DVDs and Blu-ray discs beginning this week, the government said Tuesday.

The new warnings now have three scary logos intended to deter those who might violate copyright law by making a back-up copy, ripping a movie to a tablet-friendly file, uploading it to a peer-to-peer network or make illegal copies to send to military service members in Iraq.

The original logo has been included since 2004 on the Motion Picture Association of America members’ movies, with the now-famous FBI tough-talking “anti-piracy warning label” which cautions customers who legitimately purchased a movie about the criminal penalties for copyright infringement.

Added alongside the FBI’s logo in the new version, however, is a Homeland Security Investigations “special agent” badge. That reflects the agency’s new power, handed down in 2008, to seize web domains engaged in infringing activity under the same forfeiture laws used to seize property like houses, cars and boats allegedly tied to illegal activity such as drug running or gambling.

[Image: apw-2_original-660x509.jpg]

What’s more, as an added bonus that’s even better than a James Cameron director commentary, movie fans will be treated with a second annoying screen (above) touting the National Intellectual Property Center.

That screen, like the others, presumably will be made unskippable during viewing. The warning says, “Piracy is not a victimless crime. For more information on how digital theft harms the economy, please visit http://www.iprcenter.gov.” The center’s logo is tough, too, with a hawk clenching a banner that reads “Protection Is Our Trademark”.

Oddly, such warnings are rarely included in versions uploaded and downloaded via P2P networks.

That’s probably smart since the old FBI logo was copyrighted of sorts, with the movie, recording and software industries retaining exclusive rights.

The authorities moved that logo out of copyright last year. There was a maximum six-month sentence and other penalties for using the insignia without FBI approval.

ICE said the new versions, like the old one, may not be used without permission and are not in the public domain. The government said the major studios of the Motion Picture Association of America are authorized to use them. They are Disney, Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Brothers.

The National Intellectual Property Center (.pdf) was approved as part of the PRO-IP Act in 2008 and acts as the government’s anti-piracy bureau. The act also gave Immigration and Customs Enforcement, under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security, the power to seize infringing websites under a program now known as Operation in Our Sites.

“Our nation’s film and TV business is critical to our economy,” ICE Director John Morton said in a statement. “Its creativity and imagination have made American entertainment one of our greatest exports over the decades, but criminals are increasingly engaging in new forms of digital theft. Law enforcement must continue to expand how it combats criminal activity. Public awareness and education are a critical part of that effort.”

In the past two years, the authorities have seized more than 750 sites allegedly engaged in infringing activity.

Wired reported Monday about a hip-hop music site — the victim of a secret government process — that was seized for a year before it was given back to its New York operator without explanation or apology.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/05...g-updated/

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-10-2012 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)
RE: Pirates Beware: DVD Anti-Piracy Warning Now Twice as Fierce

I'm shaking in my boots. Rolleyes
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 11:19 AM by Thought Criminal.)
05-10-2012 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

OOOoOOooOooOoOoooOOooooOOOOoooOoO
05-10-2012 11:19 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Blah blah blah fuck the government is all this makes me think of.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-10-2012 11:41 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

If I'm pirating a movie, I won't be seeing these messages. Thus they are useless & have no effect on me.
05-10-2012 11:58 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Previous responses pretty much sum it up

No, this is Patrick.
05-10-2012 12:46 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

RE: Pirates BewaDVD Anti-Piracy Warning Now Twice as Fierce

(05-10-2012 11:41 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Blah blah blah fuck the government is all this makes me think of.

Hahaha Least it helps to reaffirm your anarchist beliefs.

image hosting jpg
05-10-2012 12:58 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Oh no! The companies are rolling in millions of dollars! They are such victims!
05-10-2012 01:05 PM
Fanatic

(05-10-2012 12:58 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 11:41 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Blah blah blah fuck the government is all this makes me think of.

Hahaha Least it helps to reaffirm your anarchist beliefs.

For the record I was "blah blah blahing" at the article, not at you posting lol

But yeah... definitely does.

Live until you die
05-10-2012 11:09 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

So what exactly does this new anti-piracy veureau do?

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
05-11-2012 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-11-2012 12:03 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  So what exactly does this new anti-piracy veureau do?

It displays scary messages when you buy legit movies that describes how the companies and federal government are gonna fuck you with no lube if you pirate. Like the gangster you buy weed from telling you how he is going to cut your balls off if you buy from anybody besides him.

Brb pirating.

image hosting jpg
05-11-2012 12:39 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I meant beureau lol, so all the organization does is display images? Hwat.

Blog I post to now:

05-11-2012 01:24 AM
Fanatic

Isn't it amazing.... five fucking years in prison is possible (though not likely). All because you copied something and shared it. Soon they are going to create music where only the purchaser can hear it because it reads their DNA, everyone else hears white noise. Same with movies, only the purchaser can see it, everyone else sees white fuzz.

Live until you die
05-11-2012 02:22 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-11-2012 02:22 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Isn't it amazing.... five fucking years in prison is possible (though not likely). All because you copied something and shared it.

the megaupload owner got over 50 years.
How it is in an idiocracy.

image hosting jpg
05-11-2012 03:42 AM
RandomTroll Offline
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

This anti-piracy bullshit is WAY OUT OF CONTROL
05-11-2012 04:37 AM
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(05-11-2012 03:42 AM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 02:22 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Isn't it amazing.... five fucking years in prison is possible (though not likely). All because you copied something and shared it.

the megaupload owner got over 50 years.
How it is in an idiocracy.

It's the profit motive, dude. The government is in bed with WB and AT&T and all those other stupid, gigantic media corporations.

---------------------
"Unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot."
05-11-2012 04:39 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

If you buy a bag of chips then share half with a friend, is that illegal? No. You bought it, thus you own it and can do what you want with it.
Buying a movie and giving a copy of it to a friend to share it with them is the same concept and shouldn't be illegal. You paid for the movie, you own it, and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Torrenting is really just sharing music/games/music/whatever with fellow people who also want the same thing. It's just sharing.
05-11-2012 05:01 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

excepts that one bag of potato chips could be shared 10000000 times, I wouldn't use that anaology
05-11-2012 05:24 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Quote:If you buy a bag of chips then share half with a friend, is that illegal? No. You bought it, thus you own it and can do what you want with it.
FOR NOW.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
05-11-2012 06:21 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

I edit those messages out of my DVDs...

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-11-2012 07:49 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ Out of nowhere.

Also:

Quote:Protection is Our Trademark

The National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (IPR Center) stands at the forefront of the U.S. government’s response to global intellectual property (IP) theft. As a task force, the IPR Center uses the expertise of its member agencies to share information, develop initiatives, coordinate enforcement actions, and conduct investigations related to IP theft. Through this strategic interagency partnership, the IPR Center protects the public’s health and safety, the U.S. economy and the war fighters.
Multi-Layered Approach

IPR Center partners employ a strategic approach to combat IP Theft. That approach includes:

Investigation – Identifying, disrupting, prosecuting and dismantling criminal organizations involved in the manufacture and distribution of counterfeit products.
Interdiction – Using focused targeting and inspections to keep counterfeit and pirated goods out of U.S. supply chains, markets and streets.
Outreach and Training – Providing training for domestic and international law enforcement to build stronger enforcement capabilities worldwide.

Our global economy and e-commerce have made combating IP theft a more complex challenge. There are more threats to border security, national security, and U.S. economic stability. The IPR Center is prepared to take on these challenges.
Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts

Successful cases have produced significant seizures, civil penalties, and criminal prosecutions.

U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)

Defense Criminal Investigative Service

Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI)

U.S. Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS)

General Service Administration’s Office of the Inspector General

INTERPOL

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Department of Commerce's Office of Intellectual Property Rights (OIPR)

U.S. Department of State’s Office of International Intellectual Property Enforcement (IPE)

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Office of Criminal Investigations (OCI)

U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command

Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)

Mexican Revenue Service

EUROPOL

I don't think they get it. Piracy isn't physical anymore...

Blog I post to now:

05-11-2012 10:03 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

(05-11-2012 05:24 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  excepts that one bag of potato chips could be shared 10000000 times, I wouldn't use that anaology

You get the idea.
05-11-2012 10:11 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Except the anaology isn't correct, after so many chips the bag is done, with digital media its an endless supply for infinity. maybe if a dvd could only be shared so many times.
05-11-2012 10:36 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

(05-11-2012 10:36 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  Except the anaology isn't correct, after so many chips the bag is done, with digital media its an endless supply for infinity. maybe if a dvd could only be shared so many times.

Don't start giving them ideas, now...
05-11-2012 10:39 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

I am not the first nor the last to think of that.
05-11-2012 10:42 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Saint is a traitor and must be lynched like a nigger! Razz

Man I can't wait til when I loan a neighbor my hammer and it turns out my neighbor is an fbi agent and I get arrested for pirate enabling as it kept my neighbor from buying a hammer.

image hosting jpg
05-11-2012 10:46 AM
Fanatic

(05-11-2012 10:36 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  Except the anaology isn't correct, after so many chips the bag is done, with digital media its an endless supply for infinity. maybe if a dvd could only be shared so many times.

Except with chips something physical is lost, with music it is copied. There really is no logical reason for this to be a crime unless the person is passing it off as their own or selling it.

Live until you die
05-11-2012 12:04 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(05-11-2012 12:04 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  

Except with chips something physical is lost, with music it is copied. There really is no logical reason for this to be a crime unless the person is passing it off as their own or selling it.

What about a ripped CD?
05-11-2012 01:23 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

LOL This is so cute.
So adorable!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-11-2012 10:50 PM
Fanatic

(05-11-2012 01:23 PM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:04 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  

What about a ripped CD?

The original seller is still not *losing* anything in the literal sense. They try to argue that they lose sales but most people who pirate would not have bought the CD anyway. I still buy the same amount of CDs I always did from artists I like. I pirate extras I never would have considered. Sometimes this makes me like a new artist and I actually start buying their CDs.

Live until you die
05-11-2012 11:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hollywood loses final appeal in piracy case HeartofShadows 6 3,972 04-22-2012 08:06 AM
Last Post: gore goroth