RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pregnant Woman Suicide
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Pregnant Woman Suicide

http://www.care2.com/causes/woman-who-tr...icide.html
Quote:In a horrifyingly insensitive and counterintuitive move, murder charges were filed against an Indiana woman who attempted suicide in a late stage of her pregnancy. Bei Bei Shuai ingested rat poison in December, trying to end her life; she was taken to the hospital by friends and got help in time. When her child was born, though, she was first put on life support but then removed when doctors determined that they could not save her. Shuai is now facing feticide charges.

Robin Marty (who you may know from Care2) wrote a great short piece for RHRealityCheck, dissecting the situation. “Was the poisoning really just an attempt at a do it yourself abortion, as the prosecution appears to be claiming?” she asks. If these charges are successful, as she points out, this could easily lead to a slippery slope, where women who experience any kind of harm during pregnancy can be accused of trying to abort (or “murder”) their fetus.

Indiana is poised to pass a “fetal pain” law which would prohibit abortion after 20 weeks, claiming that after that point, the fetus can feel pain. And in 2009, the Indiana legislature passed a bill that imposed harsh penalties on crimes that lead to the death of an unborn child at any stage of development. This law was passed after a bank teller was shot during an attempted robbery and her unborn twins died, so it looks like this is the first application of the feticide bill to a pregnant woman who tried to kill herself.

The issue is that we don’t know why Shuai tried to ingest rat poison – it seems more like she was simply trying to end her life than to willfully kill her fetus. Either way, as Robin points out, the prosecutor is deciding the motive – talk about taking away women’s agency. Let’s hope that Shaui’s attorney is successful in her attempts to get the charges thrown out.

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
03-11-2012 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
RE: Pregnant Woman Suicide

Quote:If these charges are successful, as she points out, this could easily lead to a slippery slope, where women who experience any kind of harm during pregnancy can be accused of trying to abort (or “murder”) their fetus.

Oh my god that is such a strawman. There is no way women would be charged indiscriminately for losing their babies. A woman who is attacked by an abusive lover or is injured in a car accident can not be charged for something that was completely out of her control. Same with women who have spontaneous miscarriages.

The fact is that whether it was this womans primary intention or not, she committed a clear case feticide. Any attempt to kill yourself while pregnant is a death sentence to the baby and she knew that when she ate the rat poison. Even if you don't success in killing yourself chances are you're going to kill the kid.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 02:46 PM by Aya.)
03-11-2012 02:45 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(03-11-2012 02:45 PM)Aya Wrote:  
Quote:If these charges are successful, as she points out, this could easily lead to a slippery slope, where women who experience any kind of harm during pregnancy can be accused of trying to abort (or “murder”) their fetus.

Oh my god that is such a strawman. There is no way women would be charged indiscriminately for losing their babies. A woman who is attacked by an abusive lover or is injured in a car accident can not be charged for something that was completely out of her control. Same with women who have spontaneous miscarriages.

The fact is that whether it was this womans primary intention or not, she committed a clear case feticide. Any attempt to kill yourself while pregnant is a death sentence to the baby and she knew that when she ate the rat poison. Even if you don't success in killing yourself chances are you're going to kill the kid.

Agreed.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
03-11-2012 03:13 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

The fetus feels pain?
So fucking what, it's a fetus.

I can already feel the heat!

No, this is Patrick.
03-11-2012 06:50 PM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(03-11-2012 03:13 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 02:45 PM)Aya Wrote:  

Agreed.

However, to play devil's advocate, someone must have serious problems before attempting suicide. Maybe there should be an investigation into her mental health before she is charged with murder.

(03-11-2012 06:50 PM)Stadium Wrote:  The fetus feels pain?
So fucking what, it's a fetus.

I can already feel the heat!

Cows feel pain too. So do dogs. So does almost every animal on Earth. Arguement from the fetus feeling pain is thus stupid, unless you also apply it to mean you can't kill any mammal, most reptiles, amphibians, hell even fish feel pain...

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
03-12-2012 05:19 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

^doesn't matter. If you try to off yourself by ramming your car into a building and you kill people in the process it's still murder.
03-12-2012 09:15 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Pro-choice here. I guess all that's really happened is that she couldn't get an abortion at the clinic so she tried it herself (If I'm reading this right)? Well, I don't blame her, it's her life so it's her choice.

Quote:Indiana is poised to pass a “fetal pain” law which would prohibit abortion after 20 weeks, claiming that after that point, the fetus can feel pain.
However, science is based on what is actually REAL. NOT what people SAY is real. Is there actually any type of scientific data to suggest a fetus feels pain? Does (the fetus) even have a nervous system developed by then?

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
03-12-2012 09:24 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(03-12-2012 09:15 AM)Aya Wrote:  ^doesn't matter. If you try to off yourself by ramming your car into a building and you kill people in the process it's still murder.

More like manslaughter. You didn't intend to kill the people in the building.

Previously known as Derchin.
03-12-2012 09:48 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

No it's murder. No one can claim manslaughter when they intentionally seek out a method of suicide that puts other people in danger. They knew the risk, they didn't care.
03-12-2012 09:56 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

(03-12-2012 09:56 AM)Aya Wrote:  No it's murder. No one can claim manslaughter when they intentionally seek out a method of suicide that puts other people in danger. They knew the risk, they didn't care.

Are you making a statement or am I reading this wrong or something? I thought all she did was try and kill herself by swallowing rat poison?

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
03-12-2012 10:06 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(03-11-2012 11:03 AM)Geeksta Wrote:  http://www.care2.com/causes/woman-who-tr...icide.html
Quote:In a horrifyingly insensitive and counterintuitive move, murder charges were filed against an Indiana woman who attempted suicide in a late stage of her pregnancy. Bei Bei Shuai ingested rat poison in December, trying to end her life; she was taken to the hospital by friends and got help in time. When her child was born, though, she was first put on life support but then removed when doctors determined that they could not save her. Shuai is now facing feticide charges.

This whole fucking state, I swear.

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
03-12-2012 12:36 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(03-12-2012 09:24 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  Pro-choice here. I guess all that's really happened is that she couldn't get an abortion at the clinic so she tried it herself (If I'm reading this right)? Well, I don't blame her, it's her life so it's her choice.

Quote:Indiana is poised to pass a “fetal pain” law which would prohibit abortion after 20 weeks, claiming that after that point, the fetus can feel pain.
However, science is based on what is actually REAL. NOT what people SAY is real. Is there actually any type of scientific data to suggest a fetus feels pain? Does (the fetus) even have a nervous system developed by then?

Science argues more in favor of pro-life if anything.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
03-12-2012 01:06 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

(03-12-2012 10:06 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 09:56 AM)Aya Wrote:  No it's murder. No one can claim manslaughter when they intentionally seek out a method of suicide that puts other people in danger. They knew the risk, they didn't care.
Are you making a statement or am I reading this wrong or something? I thought all she did was try and kill herself by swallowing rat poison?

No she tried to kill herself by eating rat poison while she was pregnant with a viable baby. The baby in this case is an innocent third party, and the mother showed no concern over the girls well being, which lead to her death. Especially when you consider the rat poison. Anything a mother eats gets sent to the baby. At least with hanging or slitting wrists theres a chance it could've been born healthy, albeit prematurely. Eating rat poison was a deliberate attempt to do harm to the child as well as herself. And she should be held accountable for it.
03-12-2012 01:10 PM