RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about your diplomas
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Question about your diplomas

Over here in Indianaland, we have a Core 40. They push this diploma SO. FUCKING. MUCH. They don't even tell you about the general diploma. Do you have something similar to this?

Oh, I just read THIS little gem of information:
http://www.doe.in.gov/core40/pdf/class_ ... eneral.pdf
(That's the credits I need for Core 40, I want to see GENERAL, motherfuckers.)

What do they mean, "Minimum college requirement"? Since I don't give a shit about four year universities anyway, I suppose it doesn't concern me.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
11-29-2010 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: Question about your diplomas

I couldn't view your link because my computer's being a dick right now.

Minimum college requirements are the credits you need to be considered for a regular university, I believe. I'm not sure what Core 40 is. Maybe the core classes you need include a total of 40 credits, but that seems like a little too much.

To legally graduate where I live, I need 30 credits. Wait, that's just my stupid school. My state only require 26, but my school wants theology and more maths than I need, as well as electives and other shit. For my class, it's the 4 by 4 plan, where we need 4 Engrish credits, 4 Science credits (I'll have 4.5), 4 maths credits (I have 5), 4 Social studies credits. And we need theology as well. Stupid diploma, but it's too late for me to quit when I've already wasted 12 years of life trying to get it.
11-30-2010 04:12 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

How do your credits work? We get a credit for passing a trimester.

Now they're saying I'll need two years of foreign language to go to college. Gad dammit, they can suck my dick. I'll learn a language on my own, and if they have any questions, they can ask me to speak some language or something. Because I don't have time for this.

I tried talking to the counselor about a general diploma, because I can't find information anywhere on it. And she's all "You don't want to do that" God dammit. I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked for information. Ultimately, it's not your decision, it's mine, and, unfortunately, my parent's. She never gave me any information about it.

We need 8 English (in other words, all fucking four years) we only have English two trimesters of the year. Actually, no, we have it all three, the first one just doesn't count (bullshit) 6 math, 6 Science (chemistry is required before we take anything else (bullshit))

5 credits in directed electives (world language, Fine art, career class, which I'm going to have to RETAKE because we need it to pass. It's a district requirement. Fucking hate that class)
2 gym credits (DONE and OVER WITH, FUCK. YES.)
Health, 1 credit (Also DONE and OVER WITH)
6 in Social studies

So yes, 40. But like I said, our credits work differently (honestly, the way they work is quite a bit simpler, then... I don't know how the other way works all that much.

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
11-30-2010 04:33 PM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I see, my credits are given by quarter. There are 4 quarters in the year, and a semester is half, or two 9-week periods. Some AP science classes give us 2 credits per year instead of 1 because they take 2 hours every day. We get one full credit for a year of anything else, or 0.5 credit for half a year, etc.

Hm, I've never dealt with the trimester system. That's retarded; why would anyone take English the first trimester if it doesn't count? Do they just want you to spread it out over the 4 years? But from what you're saying, you could theoretically be done with maths and sciences in 2 years, which is awesome. How long is a trimester, or how many weeks?
12-01-2010 12:20 PM
MakoDamo Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

heheh I too live in this so called indianaland as well.

I am a spiritual being having fun in this 3D reality and hope to reach my dream goals somday.

Peace and Love
12-01-2010 12:51 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

A trimester is 12 weeks, which gets split up into 6 week periods. At the end of the trimester, we take the final, and the first six weeks, the next six weeks, and the final are compiled together to make our grade for the trimester. If it's a D or above, we get a credit. I do like the way this works, because it seems annoying and tedious to figure out all the decimals. Plus, it'll make non Indiana colleges freak the fuck out for a second "40 credits? WHAT THE FU- oh." They'll realize it soon, but hey, at least I left an impression.

Basically, the unused credits go into the Elective group. We get them for taking classes that we've already gotten the right amount of credits for. I forget how many we need. But it does annoy me to no end. It happened with ALL my main freshmen courses. I'm sure I have enough by now, to be honest. After all the fine arts credits I have, I'm sure I'll have at least five by the end of the trimester. So, technically, they count, but they count as the most useless credit EVER. Even the girl I know, who's running for valedictorian, agrees with me on that. Though, she's not interested in the arts at all, so that's her main reasoning.

It'll be three years for math and science, because we only have it two of the three trimesters (making either the first or last trimester extremely easy, it's amazing). I guess they do it because classes are usually separated in A, and B. So, like I have Chemistry 1A, next trimester it'll be chemistry 1B. And if I wanted to take it again next year (though I don't, I'm taking Anatomy next year) it would be 2A, then 2B. Since it would be a pain in the ass remembering all that we did in 2A next year, we can't take on three science periods in a year, budget issues don't help this at all. So, you'll never see us taking a B course first trimester.

Faith o' Meter
12-01-2010 12:57 PM