RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Are you a good leader
Yea
Nope
Somewhat
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leadership
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
Leadership

What does it really mean to lead others to solve a common problem?

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 04:33 AM by Miller0700.)
02-12-2012 04:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
RE: Leadership

Usually a leader in small groups is the first person to act and have good ideas. People associate success with that person and will follow them indefinatly
02-12-2012 05:03 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Sorta

Edit: I voted somewhat

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 10:44 AM by Dirtbikemike.)
02-12-2012 09:38 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Huh?

02-12-2012 10:04 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

(02-12-2012 10:04 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Huh?

Are you a good leader
02-12-2012 10:08 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Of course.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
02-12-2012 12:11 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I would consider myself a to be good leader, But there has to be something in it for me otherwise someone else can do it.
When I get put in a position of leadership related to something I'm interested in, I become extremely enthusiastic about it, it helps to draw in those who are more on the fence about participating. I do a good job keeping whatever we are doing fun while having things running at an efficient, industrious pace if needed. I have no problem jumping in and doing stuff myself either as opposed to simply delegating things out.
It can be a hell of alot of fun but you have to catch me at the right time, in the right mood.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 12:25 PM by Thought Criminal.)
02-12-2012 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Agree with TC, although I haven't found anything of interest to "lead" people who don't know it already.

02-12-2012 12:28 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I'm a great leader brah. I'm usually the first one to take initiative, unite people together and spread the load equally.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
02-12-2012 09:20 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(02-12-2012 09:20 PM)Efs Wrote:  I'm a great leader brah. I'm usually the first one to take initiative, unite people together and spread the load equally.

That just sounded...wrong...

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
02-13-2012 07:23 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

(02-13-2012 07:23 AM)aCol Wrote:  
(02-12-2012 09:20 PM)Efs Wrote:  I'm a great leader brah. I'm usually the first one to take initiative, unite people together and spread the load equally.

Dirty mind? Clean it up with Orbit!

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
02-13-2012 07:30 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

(02-13-2012 07:30 AM)Dirtbikemike Wrote:  
(02-13-2012 07:23 AM)aCol Wrote:  

Dirty mind? Clean it up with Orbit!

A bullet is fine too.

@Topic: I don't really know - I've worked together with some friends to work against the principal and asked that one guy why I am in the team...
He said I'd be a genius at Strategy, cause I think everything through twice. Btw, everybody can be a good leader after reading Sunzi (and understanding it)

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
02-13-2012 11:12 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

leaders are worthless.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
02-14-2012 05:55 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(02-14-2012 05:55 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  leaders are worthless.

Maybe in the typical "I tell you what to do and you shut up and do it" leadership fashion.
Good leadership is utilizing an individuals talents to help the whole group, and give individual members the power to take the initiative while the leader is more someone who keeps an eye on the big picture and guides the group towards success than a dictator.

This leadership fully utilizes and intelligence and knowledge of everyone to promote the success of a group as a whole, and is far more effective then a group of leaderless individuals or the aforementioned dictators.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
02-15-2012 08:16 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

I'd define the term good leadership as the task of managing a group by knowing and recognizing the individual talents of the people in it.
So a Leader is merely a person who organizes what has been done, what has to be done and, eventually after talking with the group, how it will be done.

A bad leader doesn't comply to this definition however, a bad leader won't recognize talent, but merely use the group to accomplish his own goals and abusing the power he has.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
02-16-2012 09:15 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

@aCol
The Art of War is a good book, yes, and a lot can be learned from it.
But to see how a truly good leader and a truly good team operates, read Ender's Game. I learned a ton from it, and it has a lot of other philosophical stuff in it to.

By Orson Scott Card

02-16-2012 10:42 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

That was a good book ^^

02-16-2012 10:43 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

If you re-read it, you realize you miss a lot the first time. And I don't know if you know this, but there are a few more sequels plus a whole separate series about Bean.

02-16-2012 12:36 PM
OasisxPoisonxProdigy Offline
IT Geek

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I am only a good leader as the people who follow me are good followers. If they decide that I suck and not to follow what the group and I agree with then our group will be fucked.
02-16-2012 12:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Depends on your definition of 'leader'. If it means telling people what to do, then no. I suck at that. I'd much rather just start doing what needs to be done and set an example, and then if people want to follow then that's their choice. But I don't want to tell people what to do...

If being a leader means you're generally the first one to take the initiative to do something, then yeah, in that sense I am, but that's pretty much it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-16-2012 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

So-so. I guess all of us can be good leaders over time, it's just that the effort might not be worth it. I'd much rather follow and do my own stuff.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
02-16-2012 07:25 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Dafaq, wrong thread, sorry.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2012 08:12 AM by aCol.)
02-17-2012 08:10 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Leadership is taking the initiative to evaluate a problem, come up with a remedy and see that remedy through to execution. If for some reason a leader can't follow through with that plan then he or she defers some or all of those duties to people better qualified; because a good leader knows when to follow.
02-17-2012 08:47 AM