RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Blog Thread (actually religious debate)
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
RE: [split] Blog Thread (actually religious debate)

Where did God come from? Was he just always there or did he have parents who boned?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
01-27-2012 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

And where did his parents come from, if he had any? And then where did THEY come from? Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-27-2012 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Where did God come from? I never understood that about religion; the universe had to have a start, so there mustve been a God they say. But wouldn't God have to have a start? Who banged who to make him?

EDIT: Sorry for repeat post. I didn't look on the second page so I thought my other post didn't get posted. sOrR33zZz

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2012 09:19 AM by The.)
01-27-2012 09:15 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

That's not just about religion though, science has that same dilemma. Something had to have "always" been here to cause the universe to exist... or something. Unless the universe was always here, and/or God is the universe...

Maybe someday we'll figure it out, or maybe we never will.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-27-2012 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Excellent! All is going as according to plan! "laughs maniacally"

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
01-27-2012 09:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Well, that's a bit creepy... Uhoh

Hidden stuff:
01-27-2012 09:30 AM
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I haven't bothered reading all of this, but I this to say:

I do not believe in God.

I am a very religious person.

I am really, really tired of religious debates constantly being about God vs. Atheists.

Me, the other Pagans and the Bhuddists are standing there watching, going *ahem*.

---------------------
"Unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot."
01-28-2012 06:49 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

New Agefaf^^

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
01-28-2012 07:24 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I am really, really tired of religious debates constantly being about God vs. Atheists.
Me too. It's so black and white. There's liek, many more colours man.

Hidden stuff:
01-28-2012 07:42 AM
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

(01-28-2012 07:24 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  New Agefaf^^

Lol. Actually I'm an Indian and a punk, so I'm actually the polar opposite of a new-ager as far as pagans go. XD

---------------------
01-31-2012 06:57 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(01-31-2012 06:57 AM)Levio_Sah Wrote:  

Lol. Actually I'm an Indian and a punk, so I'm actually the polar opposite of a new-ager as far as pagans go. XD

wiccanfaf??Huh

Bhuddist?

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 09:32 AM by gore goroth.)
01-31-2012 09:31 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
RE: Blog Thread

(01-26-2012 08:03 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  
(01-26-2012 07:50 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  Explain how everything became the way it is. As in, where did all the matter that supposedly came together and evolved into life come from? Why would a caterpillar dissolve its very being when there's no sure way to predict that it will be arranged into a butterfly during metamorphosis? There's no way that that little trick came about by random chance and natural selection. Imagine millions of years ago when peacocks (the males) didn't have their long tail as a result of "evolution" yet. If one randomly got that tail it would be killed swiftly by predators and wouldn't survive to pass its genes on. Also the fact that the Bible is the most historically proven book in the world. One man, a science student, left atheism because he studied the Bible and couldn't find any contradictions. He is: A devout atheist until his early twenties, Clayton was part of the same organized atheist group that made Madeline Murray O'Hair famous. He decided to write a book called All the Stupidity of the Bible, but instead found himself slowly becoming convinced about Christianity. Today, he travels the U.S. giving some 40 lectures per year on the subject "Does God Exist?" He is a teacher and geologist by profession. He holds a B.S. degree from Indiana University in education with a concentration in physics and mathematics. He holds a M.S. degree from Indiana University in education with a concentration in chemistry and psychometry. He also holds a M.S. degree from the University of Notre Dame in geology and earth science. His most recent honors include: Distinguished Physics Teacher for the State of Indiana--1985 by the American Association of Physics Teachers; S.T.A.R Instructor for Indiana Department of Public Instruction--1990; South Bend Community School Corporation High School Teacher of the Year and School Corporation Teacher of the Year--1991.

Copied that bit from his website. Also, a famous British scientist named Lord Kelvin said, "If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God." And no, the Bible does not promote genocide in the Old Testament, it was following the Middle Eastern style of using sweeping language and expecting that fines be payed in place of life. Hammurabi's Code did the same thing, but not even my Social Studies teacher last year criticized that.

Your first question: I don't know how life came to be here. I don't know what our purpose is, and I have no idea where the matter and whatnot came from. However, I also don't attribute it to a fairy in the sky who's whole religion is just a copy of other religions that were already out there.

Yes, there are many ways that that trick came by due to natural selection and evolution. The fact that we are even here is a miracle, but not really when you consider how big the universe is. That brings me to another point, why would there be a god who made us in his image when there is the rest of the universe (and what's beyond that) out there? The universe is huge, we're just specks of dust on a cosmic scale. I don't see why an all powerful being would waste his time with us when he has an enormous universe to work with.

As for the guy who couldn't find any contradictions in the bible...there are many, many contradictions. I'm not even going to argue this because it would be a waste of my time. Google bible contradictions.

And a question for you: Why not pick one of the other hundreds (or thousands I don't know) of religions out there? What's so special about Christianity? Most likely you were raised to believe in it, like so many Christians are.

[Image: Dont_TLDR.gif]
01-31-2012 11:15 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(01-26-2012 07:50 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  Explain how everything became the way it is. As in, where did all the matter that supposedly came together and evolved into life come from? Why would a caterpillar dissolve its very being when there's no sure way to predict that it will be arranged into a butterfly during metamorphosis? There's no way that that little trick came about by random chance and natural selection. Imagine millions of years ago when peacocks (the males) didn't have their long tail as a result of "evolution" yet. If one randomly got that tail it would be killed swiftly by predators and wouldn't survive to pass its genes on. Also the fact that the Bible is the most historically proven book in the world. One man, a science student, left atheism because he studied the Bible and couldn't find any contradictions. He is: A devout atheist until his early twenties, Clayton was part of the same organized atheist group that made Madeline Murray O'Hair famous. He decided to write a book called All the Stupidity of the Bible, but instead found himself slowly becoming convinced about Christianity. Today, he travels the U.S. giving some 40 lectures per year on the subject "Does God Exist?" He is a teacher and geologist by profession. He holds a B.S. degree from Indiana University in education with a concentration in physics and mathematics. He holds a M.S. degree from Indiana University in education with a concentration in chemistry and psychometry. He also holds a M.S. degree from the University of Notre Dame in geology and earth science. His most recent honors include: Distinguished Physics Teacher for the State of Indiana--1985 by the American Association of Physics Teachers; S.T.A.R Instructor for Indiana Department of Public Instruction--1990; South Bend Community School Corporation High School Teacher of the Year and School Corporation Teacher of the Year--1991.

Copied that bit from his website. Also, a famous British scientist named Lord Kelvin said, "If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God." And no, the Bible does not promote genocide in the Old Testament, it was following the Middle Eastern style of using sweeping language and expecting that fines be payed in place of life. Hammurabi's Code did the same thing, but not even my Social Studies teacher last year criticized that.

Your first question: I don't know how life came to be here. I don't know what our purpose is, and I have no idea where the matter and whatnot came from. However, I also don't attribute it to a fairy in the sky who's whole religion is just a copy of other religions that were already out there.

Yes, there are many ways that that trick came by due to natural selection and evolution. The fact that we are even here is a miracle, but not really when you consider how big the universe is. That brings me to another point, why would there be a god who made us in his image when there is the rest of the universe (and what's beyond that) out there? The universe is huge, we're just specks of dust on a cosmic scale. I don't see why an all powerful being would waste his time with us when he has an enormous universe to work with.

As for the guy who couldn't find any contradictions in the bible...there are many, many contradictions. I'm not even going to argue this because it would be a waste of my time. Google bible contradictions.

And a question for you: Why not pick one of the other hundreds (or thousands I don't know) of religions out there? What's so special about Christianity? Most likely you were raised to believe in it, like so many Christians are.

Oh boy night thoughts doesn't want to get into a science/religion debate with me. Me and stadium could tear her to pieces if she comes back again.

Previously known as Derchin.
01-31-2012 11:35 AM
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

(01-31-2012 09:31 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 06:57 AM)Levio_Sah Wrote:  

wiccanfaf??Huh

Bhuddist?

I identify simply as Pagan at the moment because my beliefs are a combination of pantheism and animism. I guess if I had to pick I would identify with my tribe's beliefs the most.

---------------------
01-31-2012 01:30 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Christians make up for lack of proof with lots of useless words. Until there is proof a god exists their words mean nothing to me.
02-05-2012 12:09 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(02-05-2012 12:09 AM)alexander144 Wrote:  Christians make up for lack of proof with lots of useless words. Until there is proof a god exists their words mean nothing to me.

NO GAY SECKS
NO RESPECT
NO FAGS
FAGS WILL BURN IN HELL
YOU CAUSED THIS

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
02-06-2012 10:17 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Over the past few days, I've come to the realization that being an agnostic is probably the best position you can take in the sense of faith and rationality. I relentlessly preached about the dogmatic ways of Christians and Muslims, and yet never fucking realized that I was doing the exact same thing. I'm going to start studying Wicca and Buddhism, because those seem like interesting religions that respect the natural world, and have their own well-thought out philosophies.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
02-06-2012 01:01 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(01-31-2012 11:35 AM)Derchin Wrote:  

Oh boy night thoughts doesn't want to get into a science/religion debate with me. Me and stadium could tear her to pieces if she comes back again.

Fuck yeah! Atheist teamwork!!

No, this is Patrick.
02-06-2012 01:04 PM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Can I join?

02-06-2012 01:09 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

I think we need to make a single thread for religious debate and have Soulriser put it up as important thread.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
02-15-2012 01:51 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(02-06-2012 01:04 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 11:35 AM)Derchin Wrote:  

Fuck yeah! Atheist teamwork!!

Thumbsup

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 01:53 PM by Miller0700.)
02-15-2012 01:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Debate Thread The Desert Fox 29 4,015 08-24-2009 02:59 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox