RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Try To Talk. But Nothing Comes Out.....
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
I Try To Talk. But Nothing Comes Out.....

Is there a problem with me?I don't understand why this happens. I swear I can't take it anymore. Every-time I want to meet new people I know what I wanna talk about or say in my head, but I can't say anything like my voice is muted. or am in class and know the answer to a question but don't say it because I'm afraid of what people will think of me.

As we all know this is High School, where people ridicule, laugh at, harass and take advantage of the Intelligent people (YES, I've seen this happen alot). Is this some kind of problem with me medically or something. I can't really explain it well....

Example:
Teacher: What do you want to be when you leave High School in 2 years?

Guy 1: A Football Player

Guy 2: The Next Drake or Lil Wayne

Me (What I'm Thinking): A Game Designer or something with software or science)

Me (What I say): I don't know....

BUT, the reason why I don't get it is because when I'm outside my city (like at Camp in the Summer or something) I can EASILY talk, and act pretty much any way I want, without freezing up or feeling to nervous to say anything. Maybe it's because I don't care what people in a city I don't live think of me, or maybe it's because I'm around more people like me.... any advice? Confused

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
12-05-2011 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
RE: I Try To Talk. But Nothing Comes Out.....

You're over thinking things. Just calm down and it will come to you.

Previously known as Derchin.
12-05-2011 02:23 PM
Land Of The NotSoFree Offline
Rebuilding

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey I know how you feel all too well. Well is it because most of your peers don't really know you too well? If I were asked that at my current highschool Id probably say the same thing, even though I know I want to be a pro wrestler. However I recently started going to sunday school and I have no problem speaking my mind. Same everywhere else. Its like in highschool Ive created this image for myself and can't seem to break out of it. Does that sound like your situation?
12-05-2011 06:13 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I was a little bit like that in school, maybe not as bad as you but eh. You just have to have to confidence to speak what you think without fear that people will judge you. It's also a lot harder if you don't really speak to the people around you. As soon as I got into college it was like I broke out the image I created for myself and now I'm a lot more social then I was. To be straight there isn't really any secrets to it, you just have to break the mould and speak. I found I gained my confidence when I was forced to do presentations in front of class, I would be shitting myself weeks beforehand, but each time it got easier and easier.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2011 06:18 PM by Elfy.)
12-05-2011 06:18 PM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I've always been really quiet, it's tough sometimes...because I end up having these imaginary conversations with people, that I sometimes forget are imaginary. I definitely can sympathize with your plight.

Do not let a moment go by that doesn't remind you that your heart beats 900 times a day and that there are enough gallons of blood to make you an ocean.
12-05-2011 09:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Does any of this seem relevant?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-05-2011 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply