RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Senate Bill to OK Indefinite Detention of U.S. Citizens Without Charge or Trial
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Senate Bill to OK Indefinite Detention of U.S. Citizens Without Charge or Trial

Quote:In what may be a tale too bizarre to be believed by millions of Americans, the U.S. Senate appears ready to pass a bill that will designate the entire earth, including the United States and its territories, one all-encompassing “battlefield” in the global “war on terror” and authorize the detention of Americans suspected of terrorist ties indefinitely and without trial or even charges being filed that would necessitate a trial.

The bill could come to a vote as early as today, according to a bulletin issued by the American Civil Liberties Union. The legislation “goes to the very heart of who we are as Americans,” the ACLU statement said, describing the bill as having moved toward passage while most Americans were celebrating Thanksgiving and a long holiday weekend for millions of U.S. workers. “The Senate will be voting on a bill that will direct American military resources not at an enemy shooting at our military in a war zone, but at American citizens and other civilians far from any battlefield — even people in the United States itself,” the ACLU warned.

Labeled the National Defense Authorization Act, S. 1867 was drafted in secret by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) and approved in a closed-door committee meeting, according to the ACLU statement.

“I know it sounds incredible,” wrote Chris Anders of the ACLU's Washington legislative office. “New powers to use the military worldwide, even within the United States? Hasn’t anyone told the Senate that Osama bin Laden is dead, that the president is pulling all of the combat troops out of Iraq and trying to figure out how to get combat troops out of Afghanistan too? And American citizens and people picked up on American or Canadian or British streets being sent to military prisons indefinitely without even being charged with a crime. Really? Does anyone think this is a good idea? And why now?”

If passed in its present form, the bill would give the President the power to order the military to pick up and imprison without charge or trial civilians anywhere in the world. “The power is so broad that even U.S. citizens could be swept up by the military and the military could be used far from any battlefield, even within the United States itself,” Anders warned. Anders also noted that presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) voiced his concerns about the detention provisions in the legislation in a Republican candidates' debate. Ironically, President Obama, who has frequently been criticized by libertarians of both the left and right for exceeding his powers as Commander-in-Chief, is opposed to the legislation and has threatened to veto it if it passes both houses of Congress. Both the Secretary of Defense and the Attorney General of the United States have called the indefinite detention provisions of the bill harmful and counterproductive. But Senator Lindsey Graham has praised those same provisions for saying “for the first time that the homeland is part of the battlefield” and that people can be arrested without charge or trial, “American citizen or not.” Freshman Senator Kelly Ayotte, a New Hampshire Republican, declared that the provisions are necessary because “America is part of the battlefield.”

Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) has offered an amendment to delete the indefinite detention provisions and “[set] up an orderly review of detention power,” Anders said. “It tries to take the politics out and put American values back in.” The provisions raise a great many political, sociological, and constitutional questions, including whether all of the “homeland,” formerly known as “the land of the free,” should be designated a battlefield and whether people arrested anywhere in the world, including here in the United States, should be considered “enemy combatants” even if they were captured nowhere near a scene of actual battle.

The ACLU is pressing Americans to contact their Senators and urge them to support the Udall amendment. “Senators need to hear from you, on whether you think your front yard is part of a 'battlefield' and if any president can send the military anywhere in the world to imprison civilians without charge or trial,” Anders wrote.

What this law would do..

Quote: 1) Explicitly authorize the federal government to indefinitely imprison without charge or trial American citizens and others picked up inside and outside the United States;

(2) Mandate military detention of some civilians who would otherwise be outside of military control, including civilians picked up within the United States itself; and

(3) Transfer to the Department of Defense core prosecutorial, investigative, law enforcement, penal, and custodial authority and responsibility now held by the Department of Justice.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/con...arge-trial

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 09:21 AM by HeartofShadows.)
12-01-2011 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: Senate Bill to OK Indefinite Detention of U.S. Citizens Without Charge or Trial

LOCK AND LOAD PEOPLE!

It seems the time to truly fight for our freedom is nearly upon us. True it has been upon us ever since the PATRIOT Act, but this might be enough to push the more moderate citizens over the edge.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-01-2011 09:59 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
RE: Senate Bill to OK Indefinite Detention of U.S. Citizens Without Charge or Trial

Fuck, a lot of shit is going to happen if this bill pass.

Good thing I'm not American.
12-01-2011 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(12-01-2011 09:59 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  LOCK AND LOAD PEOPLE!

It seems the time to truly fight for our freedom is nearly upon us. True it has been upon us ever since the PATRIOT Act, but this might be enough to push the more moderate citizens over the edge.

This will go by quietly and with a whisper..

image hosting jpg
12-01-2011 10:30 AM
Fanatic

Sadly, you are probably right.

Live until you die
12-01-2011 10:36 AM
xydougie Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Greatest Thing Ever

Not because I support it, but because this is a wake-up call
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 12:58 PM by xydougie.)
12-01-2011 12:58 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

LOL AMERIKA!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-01-2011 02:47 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Shit like that's already happened in the Middle East/Guantanamo bay, in history class we also watched a documentary about how they held random middle eastern immigrants in "detention" randomly, maybe because of people "reporting" them, like witch hunts, in the early 2000s.

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-01-2011 03:40 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

WHAT

WHAT

...I agree with HoS though, no one really cares because they think they won't be affected. Apathy is what is killing America and just makes it easier for the government to pass these bills. It's like Patriot Act v. 2.0.

Quote:Transfer to the Department of Defense core prosecutorial, investigative, law enforcement, penal, and custodial authority and responsibility now held by the Department of Justice.
This is especially scary to me, because it's not about Justice anymore, it's about Defense...but not from Al Qaeda really, from people who speak out against the government.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2011 10:06 PM
majesty327 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Fuck, this is just like the time when Pres. Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus, only this time, the Gov. actually has no reason, this is why I love this country, it represents everything that humanity stands for, hate, injustice, violence, greed, and sudden authority over others.
12-02-2011 06:22 PM
conservativesaint Offline
Rebel

Has to pass in the house and hit Obummer's desk. I am unsure if Obummer will sign it.
12-02-2011 06:44 PM
majesty327 Offline
Defiant

(12-02-2011 06:44 PM)conservativesaint Wrote:  Has to pass in the house and hit Obummer's desk. I am unsure if Obummer will sign it.

Even then, it can still pass with a 66% majority vote from Congress.
12-02-2011 06:47 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

lolwut

America passing laws as if they own the entire planet...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-02-2011 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(12-02-2011 06:44 PM)conservativesaint Wrote:  Has to pass in the house and hit Obummer's desk. I am unsure if Obummer will sign it.

Oh pretty sure he'll sign it considering the stuff he's been passing.

image hosting jpg
12-02-2011 10:23 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(12-02-2011 10:23 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  

Yup. Given that he renewed the Patriot Act, I'll bet money on this one.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
12-03-2011 04:44 AM
Fanatic

(12-03-2011 04:44 AM).Manicrose. Wrote:  

Yup. Given that he renewed the Patriot Act, I'll bet money on this one.

Yup he is just another puppet.

Live until you die
12-03-2011 04:59 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

First I hear about SOPA now I hear about this crap. I think it's time to go to Canada...

No, this is Patrick.
12-03-2011 07:24 AM
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

I am not surprised to be hearing this. Disappointed, but not surprised. I find that the biggest problem is that everyone I know could give a rat's ass about this kind of thing being passed because they believe that because this is America, their rights will always be protected. I don't believe that many American citizens would stand up if this is passed, and unfortunately, its yet another layer of our freedom chipped away.
StadiumArcadium- I will see you there!

"I'm about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct."
The last words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702
12-03-2011 08:21 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

And it passed(no surprise there).

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phil...-provision

image hosting jpg
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 04:07 PM by HeartofShadows.)
12-03-2011 04:06 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(12-03-2011 04:06 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  And it passed(no surprise there).

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phil...-provision

Thats it!!!! ITS OVER!!!!!! EVERYONE RUN TO CANADA BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!GoingcrazyGoingcrazyGoingcrazyGoingcrazyGoingcrazyGoingcrazy

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
12-03-2011 04:34 PM
conservativesaint Offline
Rebel

I hate Nancy Pelosi. "Everything will be better when a democrat is in the white house in 2008","Impeachment is off the table","We are all about bringing America together". That's the reason she did not impeach Bush. Make him look bad,get a liberal in WH, they are happy. We should had not voted Nancy Pelosi in office or as speaker. Had another democrat been speaker,say Dennis Kucinich,Bush would had been gone and we would have Mccain/Elizabeth Dole in the WH or Bob Dole,Ron Paul,John Boehner,etc for the nations highest office. Remember, GOP tried to impeach Clinton for giving Lewinksy a BJ and we got bush for 8 years. Also, another reason to dislike the dems: [

Watch on YouTubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMInSfanqg[/YouTube]]
O and the video is called "Nancy Pelosi,Barney Frank and Democrats are clueless on Freddie and Fannie".
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 08:22 PM by conservativesaint.)
12-03-2011 08:21 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

lol america

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
12-03-2011 08:31 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(12-03-2011 08:31 PM)Elfy Wrote:  LOL AMERIKA

fix'd.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-03-2011 08:48 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Time to buy guns.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
12-06-2011 07:57 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

(12-06-2011 07:57 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Time to buy guns.

Let's go shoppin', chaps!

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
12-06-2011 08:26 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(12-02-2011 08:38 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  lolwut

Well, Russia and China are almost certain not to let the USA command them around. As so are the arabian lands ("aka terrorists"). To bad Europe will let itself be pushed, people here can be assholes, but they have deserved better.

I think we should bring "democracy" to america. The american way ofc.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-06-2011 10:51 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(12-06-2011 10:51 PM)aCol Wrote:  

Well, Russia and China are almost certain not to let the USA command them around. As so are the arabian lands ("aka terrorists"). To bad Europe will let itself be pushed, people here can be assholes, but they have deserved better.

The day we fuck with Russia is the day we get bent over backwards and fucked.

No, this is Patrick.
12-07-2011 09:35 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Hopefully I just have to watch, because I do not want to support some nation that rages on the whole world and then has to fight for its own incompetence. And you know, Germany and America are very good "friends".

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-07-2011 09:48 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(12-07-2011 09:35 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  
(12-06-2011 10:51 PM)aCol Wrote:  

The day we fuck with Russia is the day we get bent over backwards and fucked.

Not to mention china.
no idea how easily China is going to take americas military apart when they finally have a need to prevent an American military response for some reason. They completely own americas military information infrastructure. At this point, they could shut down all of their fancy drones within seconds, or worse, turn them back on em, and it's all thanks to America's foreign military adventurism.

image hosting jpg
12-07-2011 10:07 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

I heard Russia is getting back up since Communism ended there and It may be a good place to run to someday. Hope you guys like Vodka and AK-47s.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
12-07-2011 12:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you were in charge, what would you do? guts12 10 3,829 09-13-2012 10:37 AM
Last Post: V.R.
  Keeping the Slaves on the Plantation: Senate Says No Passport if You Owe Taxes HeartofShadows 9 7,030 05-15-2012 11:06 AM
Last Post: Aya
  Police Officers Paid After Shooting American Citizens HeartofShadows 5 2,835 03-27-2012 03:08 AM
Last Post: Levio_Sah
  Julian Assange plans to run for Australian Senate! Efs 2 1,825 03-19-2012 01:30 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  virginia senate passes ndaa nullification HeartofShadows 3 1,873 03-01-2012 05:22 AM
Last Post: Luizao876
  SOPA bill takes on new name in the Senate HeartofShadows 3 2,315 02-20-2012 03:58 PM
Last Post: NellyThomas
  US Police State wants right to lie to citizens! HeartofShadows 12 5,491 01-11-2012 12:29 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  Flip Flopper Obama: WILL NOT VETO DETENTION BILL(I is so surprised like sarcasm) HeartofShadows 29 18,022 01-01-2012 04:50 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Anonymous Survival Guide For Citizens in Revolution HeartofShadows 5 2,907 12-31-2011 08:48 AM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Wisconsin Senate Leader removes representation of 2.2 mil aaaaaaasd 4 2,184 03-19-2011 03:17 AM
Last Post: genuine anarchist